5 replies to this topic

#1 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,112 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:49 AM

not for paintball application.

the week after LL, a friend of mine and I are doing a week long road trip. we are going to basically the entire mississippi river, down from minneapolis, to new orleans.

so, i had the idea it would be a really cool video if we had a windshield cam going the ENTIRE time, and then time lapsed the video. this brings up pretty serious camera requirements. im less interested in quality sound and picture, and more interested in battery life and memory usage.

the camera needs to be able to record for 8+ hours, preferable without changing memory cards, or batteries. now, a car charger should be fine for the power. how much memory do i need? obviously for HD work, it would be insane, but im not very interested in super high quality, just endurance.

any suggestions?

cross posting this in the OT.
The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

And yes, Gordon is the sexiest manifestation of "to the front."

#2 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

Life's too short to drive boring cars

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:43 AM

I'm not sure a small action can would be up to this. I think a handycam type camera might work, you'd just need to build a rig for it.
And you'd need to film in time lapse. No way in hell you'll get 8+ hours of 1080p or 720p at 24-60fps on anything smaller than 64GB. Maybe something that does 1 or 2 fps would be great.

As for battery life, can't you just get a car charger and have the camera connected at all times? Some cameras support this.
I know an expensive DSLR would be up for this battery-wise, but they're not small and cheap. Nor am I sure which, if any, support timelapse recording.

#3 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,112 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:59 AM

car charging points are rapidly filling between radar detectors and GPS.
The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

And yes, Gordon is the sexiest manifestation of "to the front."

#4 guest1

guest1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:22 PM

A GoPro would be your best bet due to the fact it can shoot in intervals to create a time-laps like video. Intervals are taking pictures instead of video every set period over a long amount of time. Buy a 32gb+ card and the extended battery pack.
the real guest
if ur under 18 and pay for ur own gear put this in ur sig
sunkist orange soda club president

#5 drunkenpriest

drunkenpriest

I relax 8 days a week.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:57 PM

A GoPro would be your best bet due to the fact it can shoot in intervals to create a time-laps like video. Intervals are taking pictures instead of video every set period over a long amount of time. Buy a 32gb+ card and the extended battery pack.

i have a 32 gb and it will last longer than the full battery
Posted Image

#6 Karnokr

Karnokr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:40 PM

The GoPro in time lapse might do the job. If not, I think you could hook the GoPro up to a computer and load directly into it. That would solve your battery and memory problem.

On a side note, I've always wanted to take a kayak or smaller boat down the Ohio, and then pick up the Mississippi down to the Gulf. Camp on islands or on shore. There are blogs on this very subject out there, very interesting to read. You would also need to take an extended vacation!

Hand of Fate Scenario Paintball Team

http://www.facebook....s/HOFpaintball/

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users