26 replies to this topic

#1 ShadowZero

ShadowZero

Karma Police

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,235 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:42 PM

I need some tips to strengthen my back, since I can only sit-up straight, or stand-up straight for so long. Give me the easy stuff.

Reason I need to know this, is because I want better posture. It makes me feel more proud of myself and it makes me taller. I've had a bad habit of hunching for a LONG time... I have to get rid of this habit.

-My YouTube (More Videos To Come Soon!)

Set-Up: Marq Rapper, Dye Rotor, Ninja 68/45

Be a Brick Wall, Don't Break Down

#2 SIEFKA

SIEFKA

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:44 PM

Do you workout? Doing exercises on your back and shoulders will really help! As far as posture somewhat, but mainly it will help prevent back problems in old age. The only way you can get rid of a habit is by practicing. It takes 21 days to break a habit. Just stand up straight, and sit straight and you should be good.

Hope this helps!
Posted Image

#3 JGARRIGUES0001

JGARRIGUES0001

idk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:12 PM

abs, people don't believe me when I tell them but a strong stomach will help your back a lot. Pull ups with your palms facing forward and spread apart will help your upper back as well. Do planks as well, and those sideways plank things that hit your obliques and the muscle next to your armpit on ur back.

#4 Captiontom

Captiontom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:31 AM

Pull ups and deadlifts. Both will strengthen your back and your core

#5 EmpirePB

EmpirePB

Here. Wipe my balls off your face.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:03 AM

my gym teacher who trained for ironmens says that if you want a stronger lower back you need a stronger core. same with shoulders strong chest=strong shoulders

Member of Hooligans D4 Team

#6 Myrkul

Myrkul

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:58 AM

abs, people don't believe me when I tell them but a strong stomach will help your back a lot. Pull ups with your palms facing forward and spread apart will help your upper back as well. Do planks as well, and those sideways plank things that hit your obliques and the muscle next to your armpit on ur back.

Yep, abs are where it's at. plus you get the added benefit that chicks dig good abs ;)
"I only drink the blood of my enemies! oh, and occasionally one of those strawberry Slurpee thingies"

#7 Kench

Kench

Master Member

• Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:08 AM

Stiff legged dead lifts because I hate regular dead lifts lol.

Feedback+14/-0

http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=221094 -Empire Z2

http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=222098 - Gearbag sale

http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=222127 - Critical 100g, eigenbarrel, freak inserts

#8 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:21 PM

If you are having posture control issues and cant stand or sit for long periods than do any core workout. You can do things like sit ups, crunches, planks, bicycles, mountain climbers, etc. that dont require weights or equipment. Any track person will tell you they do core workouts for posture.
Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#9 abooth2

abooth2

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:16 PM

All you need for a strong back is 3 exercises deadlifts, pull ups, and bb rows.

#10 ShadowZero

ShadowZero

Karma Police

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,235 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:11 PM

Alright. Thanks everyone! I've been trying to break the habit of the slouching and stuff. Will be doing the workouts everyone mentioned. Thanks again!

-My YouTube (More Videos To Come Soon!)

Set-Up: Marq Rapper, Dye Rotor, Ninja 68/45

Be a Brick Wall, Don't Break Down

#11 Kirko017

Kirko017

Say no to drugs!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:51 AM

deadlifts, i wouldnt recommend to a beginner. unless you have a trainer because you probably won't do them right and you will injure yourself instead of improving yourself. pull ups and rows won't really improve your posture, and bb rows, you'll probably injure yourself also.

Rear delt fly and hyperextensions. /thread.

No really though. Rear delt fly will help build your rear shoulders which pulls them back and your chest out resulting in a less hunched over look. hyperextensions will strengthen your lower back and you won't injure yourself.

Kent State University Paintball Club
The University of Akron Paintball Club

Eminence

#12 Solowing

Solowing

THESE SCALLOPS ARE RAW!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:38 PM

This is so true. i do weighted ab crunches and it has made a huge difference

When I'm sad, I stop being sad and become awesome.... true story

#13 Sasquatch

Sasquatch

Uhhh.. I bought another gun..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,469 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:27 PM

Posture is not just about having a strong back. Not to say having a strong back won't help, but it isn't entirely necessary, either.

Put on an undershirt backwards underneath your clothes for a month or two. The higher back on undershirts will then be riding up onto the front of your neck, which will cause your body to instinctively straighten up to avoid stranglulation. After a month or two, your brain will put together that slouching forward means you will get an uncomfortable pressure on your neck, and will keep you from slouching as much, even if you dont wear the backwards undershirt.

I will laugh as they overwhelm our enemies in a flurry of spotted banana hammocks.

Sasquatch's BST Feedback Thread
Check out my Ebay sales!

#14 VICE_ROY

VICE_ROY

Stay Thirsty, My Friends...

• Members
  • 10,440 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:37 AM

Go to a gym and get somebody who looks like they know what they're doing (they're muscular and seem knowledgeable) or someone who is doing the exercise to show you how to deadlift and do rows.

And yeah other than that, abs, and practice standing and sitting with purpose.
"I don't always shoot Spool Valves, but when I do, I prefer the Geo2" (The Most Interesting Man In The World)

"All the angles are at angles, there's a bumper inside the bumper, and the reg is completely air flow, flowing air faster in two different directions...and then they cross eachother. The bolt kinda like an Eclipse, it's just a keets-a-bobble. There's always varr-ubles, and you've gotta remember, uhh...there's always varr-ubles" (Bob Long in the G6R Video)

Gewn Owners V4 - Look at Your club, now back at Ours.

#15 Distortion_UK

Distortion_UK

Darkest London

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:29 AM

I need some tips to strengthen my back, since I can only sit-up straight, or stand-up straight for so long. Give me the easy stuff.

Reason I need to know this, is because I want better posture. It makes me feel more proud of myself and it makes me taller. I've had a bad habit of hunching for a LONG time... I have to get rid of this habit.

Go see a physio, it might be a postural defect that you're born with, it could be kyphosis.

Posted Image

Complete Guide To Paintball Health- http://www.techpb.co...0

How to Play Snake- http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=104279

#16 paintballer

paintballer

BAMF=me

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:38 PM

U guys are really recommending deadlifts to somebody with posture problems? Really? Lol I nessesarly disagree with some of the stuff these guys are saying but if you're new to weight lifting you need to have a trainer show you how to do these moves correctly or you can seriously hurt yourself!

#17 BobGarnly

BobGarnly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:24 PM

no need to start out with lifting, you can do simple exercises. i hurt my back about 4 months ago and for about 2 months i did 3 or 4 exercises for about 20 minutes total everyday. it made a big difference
"Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people."
-Eleanor Roosevelt

#18 Dits

Dits

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

Go to your local gym and ask someone there (someone thats bigger in muscle) what execise machines are best for back. then what you can do for your posture is write on your hand (POSTURE!) and everytime you look at your hand stand up straight this way you cant forget ;)... hope this helped

Dits

#19 crich775

crich775

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:04 PM

Your body will be different, but my back day consists of the following
Pullups(NOT CHINUPS)-3 sets to failure
Bent over rows-3/10
Lat Pull Downs-3/10
Reverse Situps-3/10
Rest In Peace Jacob Espindola 1-12-07
OEF Vet 2011-2012, Combat Infantryman Badge Recipient

#20 Solowing

Solowing

THESE SCALLOPS ARE RAW!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:58 PM

Do not do dead lifts unless you know how to do them since your new to working out try:

Upper Rows
Lower Rows
Lat pull downs
Pull ups, with a wide grip
ABS
When I'm sad, I stop being sad and become awesome.... true story

#21 Painthrower21

Painthrower21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

Your gonna want to start eating plenty of proteins and lean meats in your daily diet to start out. I'm an all season athlete and know my way around the weight room so hopefully some of these can help.

1. Jumping squats, just a normal squat with some added flight.

2. Lunges. Helps build your upper legs and lower back.

3. Make sure your posture is good throughout the day, make sure your not slouching alot.

4. Before any of these exercizes make sure you get a good stretch in also.

Hopefully this can help!
-Ryan

#22 l0ry

l0ry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:43 AM

I recommend Elliots Hulse's youtube channel 'strengthcamp'. He competed in professional strongman events and is now a coach. There's tons of videos on his channel on posture, back pain, neck pain, flat feet... and whatever else there is, so you're going to have to sift through a lot of videos.

If you're like me, sitting for long times everyday, the back of your neck is propably tight, as well as your hip flexors. Stretching those and doing deadlifts helped me a lot.
I don't know what your problems are specifically, so I recommend you inform yourself on things that can cause bad posture and see which ones apply to you. What worked for me might not work for you at all, so use your own judgement. I too would not overlook your abs/core. If you end up with a hyperextended lower back because of a weak stomach, you just exchange one problem for another.

#23 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

I find the exesizes that strengthen my back are-

Wall balls - take a 20 pound medicine ball, do a full squat, throw it up to 10 feet, catch it and full squat again. Anything around 100 reps works awesome

Posted Image

Kettlebell swings - These incenerate everything, from your legs, back and shoulders. Go all the way to above your head, ears through the window

Posted Image

Deadlifts - proper form deadlifts, chest up and drive your heels into the ground, bar starts against your shins

Posted Image

** Front Squats - probably one of my favorites, you use about 70% of what you back squat because it's a killer workout. Load the bar into the "rack position", squat all the way down till your knees are below parallel

Posted Image

Overhead squat - this is a core, leg and shoulder killer. Start with just the bar, engage your shoulders, and squat down below parralel. This works your ENTIRE core to balance. Don't go heavy on these, starting with the 45 pound bar is more than enough

Posted Image

Olympic lifts (snatch, jerk/split jerk, clean, squat snatch) - these work awesome, but you'll need to find an instructor to get your form right. They are technical moves and need proper training

Snatch-
Posted Image

Clean-
Posted Image

Here is Donny Shankle doing some of these "olympic lifts"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdhOdJ_NVao

that guy is wicked strong

#24 sdiegoballer

sdiegoballer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:12 PM

I find the exesizes that strengthen my back are-

Wall balls - take a 20 pound medicine ball, do a full squat, throw it up to 10 feet, catch it and full squat again. Anything around 100 reps works awesome

Posted Image

Kettlebell swings - These incenerate everything, from your legs, back and shoulders. Go all the way to above your head, ears through the window

Posted Image

Deadlifts - proper form deadlifts, chest up and drive your heels into the ground, bar starts against your shins

Posted Image

** Front Squats - probably one of my favorites, you use about 70% of what you back squat because it's a killer workout. Load the bar into the "rack position", squat all the way down till your knees are below parallel

Posted Image

Overhead squat - this is a core, leg and shoulder killer. Start with just the bar, engage your shoulders, and squat down below parralel. This works your ENTIRE core to balance. Don't go heavy on these, starting with the 45 pound bar is more than enough

Posted Image

Olympic lifts (snatch, jerk/split jerk, clean, squat snatch) - these work awesome, but you'll need to find an instructor to get your form right. They are technical moves and need proper training

Snatch-
Posted Image

Clean-
Posted Image

Here is Donny Shankle doing some of these "olympic lifts"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdhOdJ_NVao

that guy is wicked strong

I would be careful, most of these could also really hurt your back, especially if you have never done them before or dont know how much weight to use. This exercise really helps my back and poses no risk to hurt you.

Posted Image

#25 ballsonyourface3395

ballsonyourface3395

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:25 AM

fitness is a life long skill! Means you have your whole life to get stronger. Bad posture isnt something having back muscles will help LOL. I have a great back and I still have horrible posture. Posture is something you just mentally have to change. 

Now for growing back I do agree with most dead lifts, power cleans, bent over rows worst idea ever!

Those are for novice and advanced your a beginner and there is no shame in that the only shame is being stupid and getting hurt on something when all you need to do is ask for help. 

Personally I am a trainer part time. I work maybe 1-2 days week usually half days to keep a free gym membership and to have a reason to keep my body fat low.

But I see smart and I see dumb beginners in the gym all the time. The smart ones ask people doing things they are unsure of or flat out dont know how to do and get help. The dumb ones just try to take a crack at it and even if they are fine 99% they will pick up some bad form and whats worst is once you get used to it, its very hard to break. I had a crappy form from leg press and squats and took me months to get it perfect after 2-3 years in the gym. 

Lats are a great place to start

lat pull back 

pull ups or assisted pull ups if you have a gym or even a friend

lat pull downs

dumb bell pull backs

The key is to start small and work your way up. But always make sure you have good form. You will get better results with dumbbell pull back with 30lbs with good form then 75 with bad form. 

#26 Tri City Extreme

Tri City Extreme

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:20 AM

For my lower back I will hold a dumbbell or a plate and go down at the side.  The first time I did just 5 on each side and it made my back sore for a few days now i make sure do do them all the time. 

#27 Al3xIP

Al3xIP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:25 AM

I'd only recommend deadlifts only if you really know how to do them or someone can teach you.
Doing them incorrect can lead to more problems but they sure have helped me.
People always tell me I look taller but I'm pretty sure it's because I don't slouch as much lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users