63 replies to this topic

#1 Latsabb

Latsabb

Your resident gun whore.

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:30 AM

I see a lot of threads, asking what the best mid range marker is. (as well as low end, and high end, but mid range especially) I always ask the question: "The best at what?" You need to know what you want out of the marker. No marker has it all. I have owned the bulk of all the modern guns, and I can tell you right now, nothing is the best in everything. Hell, nothing is the best in half the things. So you need to know two things when looking for a marker: Your budget, and what you value in a gun.

Joe wants a new marker. He wants to know the best gun he can get for 500 dollars. He starts getting flooded with every answer under the sun. Etek 3, FX, Axe, Etha, etc. Well, which one is it? That is up to Joe. Joe doesnt know what he wants, but he is new to the sport. Performance doesnt matter much to him, because he is coming from a Tippmann 98, and just wants something that is reliable, and with good customer service, and is easy to work on if he has to. Anything over that is just extra, but reliability means everything to him. Are you going to say he should get a Reflex Rail? No, you say Etek 3. Would -I- want an Etek 3? No, but for what HE wants, the Etek 3 fits the bill.

People are much too used to selling people on what they either own, or what they like best. Most people will know that I like my Cyborg RX more than any gun out there. If I was going to give out suggestions to people based on my personal views, every single thread I went in to would just be: "Get a Cyborg RX, they kill everything else." Do you see me doing that? No. (ok, sometimes, but not in general, and only when it is applicable, lol) Hell, I suggested a DM12 three times this last week, and I dont plan to ever own a DM again. But for what the person wanted (ergonomics being key, with smoothness and quietness right after) I had to suggest the DM12. That fits their bill best.

So, now that I have rambled, what is this post about? This post is about which mid range gun is for you. There is no perfect gun, and not every gun will fit you. Hell, even after you are done reading this thread, you might go check out the guns, and find that the suggested gun just doesnt fit your hands right. But this will hopefully narrow down your choices. I will be covering the 400-650 dollar range. The only marker in this range that I do not have experience with is the MacDev Drone DX, so my advice in that area will be limited.

How does this work, you ask? I will be giving brief descriptions of the guns, and list their high points, and their low points. I will give them a rating on a scale from 1-10 (in comparison to the other markers in this range. A marker with a 10 in smoothness does not mean it is the best gun out there, just the best in this price range) and then you can look at the things that matter to you, and see how they stack up. I will also try to give a brief synopsis of which kind of player I think the gun fits. So lets get started! (explanations of scoring categories will be found at the bottom)

Etek 3 - Planet Eclipse

Description: Often touted as the "poor man's Ego," the Etek line has been Planet Eclipses line of mid range stacked tube poppets. They are widely known for their reliability, packaging, and the backing of one of the best Customer Service companies in the paintball world. They deliver reliability and ease of use, but lack in performance categories. It is the loudest gun of the mid range, and is also tied for dead last in smoothness with the FX, although the FX might have a slight lead in that area. Efficiency is good, but not impressive. The trigger loses points due to the fact that it is not roller bearing.

Suggested player type: Someone that wants a gun that "just works" and doesnt want to deal with working on, or maintaining a marker regularly, and doesnt care about performance categories. (ie. the Joe character above)

Reliability: 10
Ease of maintenance: 10
Frequency of maintenance required: 10
Smoothness: 4
Sound level: 2
Efficiency: 7
Ergonomics: 8
Packaging: 10
Board: 7
Trigger: 7
ASA: 7
Aesthetics: 7
Price: 6 ($500)

Special mentions:
Although it has an LED board, it uses three LEDs for programming, which simplifies the programing significantly.

FX - Dangerous Power

Description: Dangerous Power's third marker in the Fusion line, this FASOR stacked tube poppet tried to bring some areas of the high end down to the mid range. They are offered in the largest range of colors of any of the mid range guns, and it is the only mid range gun to have an OLED board, or a screen at all, for that matter. it has a switchblade trigger, allowing you to have essentially two trigger shapes in one. The trigger, however, has the downside of being poorly designed in its magnetic return. It features the RAPS ASA, a lever operated ASA which is quick and easy to degas. The solenoid used in all DP markers is fairly low grade, and can be prone to early failure.

Suggested player type: This gun is best suited for someone still wants an easy gun to work on, but is willing to sacrifice some peace of mind for a great ASA, and a screen. This is also a good choice for someone looking for a colorful gun.

Reliability: 7
Smoothness: 4
Sound level: 5
Ergonomics: 6
Packaging: 4
Board: 10
Trigger: 6
ASA: 10
Aesthetics: 8

Special mentions:
Has an OLED board for ease of use, and "bling." The board is coded and produced by APE, and is one of the more complicated screen based boards to program. This is due to a large amount of programming options.

2012 Reflex Rail - Proto

Description: As the "little brother" of paintball giant DYE, the Proto Reflex Rail has taken many cues from the DM line of markers. The Reflex Rail offers the Fuse bolt system, such as with the DMs, but lack an LPR, and many of the defining aesthetics and comforts that the DM line is known for. The 2012 version features the same trigger and ASA as the NT and DM, and uses the UL frame found on DM10s and earlier. Although the gun does not perform at the level of the DM, it still performs very well, while keeping the great ergonomics. Inner surface o-rings, larger amount of o-rings, and pickyness about lube levels hurt the Reflex's scores.

Suggested player type: This gun is best suited for someone that wants the best ergonomics possible. As an added bonus, it is likely the smoothest of the bunch, as well as the quietest. (Lack of Drone DX experience keeps me from asserting this as a fact)

Reliability: 6
Ease of maintenance: 4
Frequency of maintenance required: 4
Smoothness: 10
Sound level: 10
Efficiency: 5
Ergonomics: 10
Packaging: 9
Trigger: 7
ASA: 8
Aesthetics: 8

Special mentions:
Has the best feeling grips of any of the markers, and the NT ASA is quick and easy to use. Also comes in a nice soft carrying case, only rivaled by the Etek 3's case.

Axe - Empire

Description: Empire's inline poppet, the Axe, is well known for being a great performing marker in the mid range, and is even used by several pro teams. To my knowledge, this is the only mid range marker used in the professional paintball scene. The design of this gun has taken most of its cues from the Invert Mini, and it shows. However, a major complaint of Mini owners has been fixed in that the Axe is of a size meant for people with larger hands, and is considered a "normal" sized marker. As one of only two macrolineless guns in the mid range, it also appeals with it's RAPS like ASA/HPR hybrid, the Relay.

Suggested player type: This gun is best suited for someone that wants a marker that doesnt need maintenance all that often, and is a solid performer. Anyone interested in macrolineless guns should also take note. Empire also offers very good customer service.

Reliability: 7
Ease of maintenance: 8 for general maintenance, 3 for full strip.
Frequency of maintenance required: 7
Smoothness: 8
Sound level: 9
Ergonomics: 6 (HIGHLY subjective. Many do not like the feel of the foregrip)
Packaging: 5
Board: 6
Trigger: 8
ASA: 10
Aesthetics: 6
Price: 8 ($460)

Special mentions:
The marker has a toolless bolt removal system, but a fairly complex system if you fully disassemble it. The eyes are also more difficult to get to than the other markers.

Invasion - Alien

Description: Alien's newest stacked tube poppet, the Invasion, is an often overlooked marker in the mid-range. Alien, known best lately for their Independence line of high end markers, has kept a high level of performance in the Invasion, while giving it a macrolineless design to boot. The marker suffers a bit in the aesthetics department, but do not let that put you off the marker, as it is a solid performer. Although not the smoothest or quietest marker of the mid range, it brings a "jack of all trades" vibe to the mid range, and bests its other mid range (and even a couple high end) stacked tube poppets in performance.

Suggested player type: This gun is best suited for someone that wants a little bit of everything. The marker excels in efficiency for the mid range, but also brings good scores in most every category. The smoothest of the stacked tube poppets, while also being the quietest stacked tube poppet.

Reliability: 8
Smoothness: 7
Sound level: 7
Efficiency: 10
Ergonomics: 7 (again, highly subjective, as it has a special frame style)
Packaging: 7
Trigger: 8
ASA: 6
Aesthetics: 4
Price: 2 ($650)

Special mentions:
Is one of the two mid range markers with no macroline, and has one of the best, if not the best trigger in the mid range. The rammer housing can also be operated outside of the marker, which is unique.

Etha - Planet Eclipse

Description: Planet Eclipse's confused inline poppet/spoolie hybrid brings the reliability, ease of use, customer service, and packaging that you expect from their more expensive guns, but at a $400 price point. Although certainly not the best performer of the bunch, the marker still maintains a fairly quiet and smooth shot, although efficiency is not its area. It comes with some great packaging, and being marketed more towards the milsim side of thing, especially with the new milsim kit that was recently released for it. At $100 less than the Etek 3, it brings more performance to the table, at a cost of some frills, reliability, and maintenance.

Suggested player type: This gun is best suited for someone that is budget minded, but still wants the peace of mind given by owning a Planet Eclipse marker.

Reliability: 8
Ease of maintenance: 7
Frequency of maintenance required: 7
Smoothness: 6
Sound level: 6
Efficiency: 4
Ergonomics: 6
Packaging: 8
Board: 6
Trigger: 6
ASA: 6
Price: 10 ($400)

Special mentions:
The marker doesnt seem to stand out in anything other than price, but is a good choice for those that simply cant get up into the 500+ range.

Drone DX - MacDev I have no hands on experience with this gun. This is your warning. Info may be wrong or missing.

Description: MacDev's mid range spoolie is of a similar design to their higher end spoolies that they are so well known for. I, however, do not have any hands on experience with the marker, so this will only be half filled out. Sorry, but I cant give you honest answers on things I dont know about.

Suggested player type: This gun is best suited for someone that does not mind a complex gun. I have to assume that the marker makes up for it in performance, as most MacDev spoolies do, but all I know is that it has the most complex bolt system of the mid range.

Reliability: ? (it is safe to assume that with the amount of o-rings on the bolt, it will take a hit here)
Ease of maintenance: 4
Frequency of maintenance required: 2
Smoothness: ?
Sound level: ?
Efficiency: ?
Ergonomics: ?
Packaging: ?
Board: ?
Trigger: 2 (MacDev always uses the same triggers, and they are always terrible)
ASA: ?
Price: 4 ($550)

Special mentions:
See above. No hands on experience.

Definitions of the scored categories:

Reliability: Just as you would assume. How reliable the marker is. This takes into account the potential for problems (number of o-rings and parts) as well as known problems with the gun.

Ease of maintenance: Again, self explanatory. This is how easy it is to maintain the marker. With the exception of the Axe, this score reflects your typical, general maintenance. How hard is it to get to things, access what you need, and perform the maintenance.

Frequency of maintenance required: How often you need to provide the marker with general maintenance. Some markers need it every game day, some twice a year.

Smoothness: Smoothness is not recoil, kick, or barrel rise. This is the feeling of vibration that you feel in the hand. Although a slightly subjective category, there are clear markers of what is smooth and isnt.

Sound level: This is how loud the gun is. It also incorporates how sharp the pitch is, and therefore how far the sound actually travels.

Efficiency: This is how many shots you can expect to get out of the gun prior to running out of air. Exact shot counts are not given.

Ergonomics: This is how nice the gun feels in your hands, and how it is designed to fit and feel. Generally this refers to the feel of the grips, HPR, and how the ASA is hosed.

Packaging: This is what comes with the gun, in the package. Some guns come with a gun and barrel, some come with a carrying case, full spares kit, full color manual, etc.

Board: This is the electronic board that operates the marker. More modes and settings, as well as ease of use help this score. A screen (only the FX has this) also boosts the score.

Trigger: A subjective category, which encompasses the feel of both the pull on the trigger (how smoothly it can be pulled) as well as the general feel of the trigger itself. Lower scores are given due to bad geometry of the trigger, bad return system design (how the trigger is returned to its resting state) and lack of roller bearings. (what the trigger pivots on)

ASA: This is a score based on the ease of use of the ASA itself. Judged almost entirely on how easily and quickly the ASA can be activated and deactivated.

Aesthetics: A very subjective category, based on how easy on the eye the marker is. Does it look nice, does it flow well, are the colors nice, etc. This is purely for vanity.

Price: Needs no explanation. Score given purely on a basis of most expensive to least expensive.

Edited by Latsabb, 13 April 2012 - 12:47 AM.

Oderint Dum Metuant

Posted Image

#2 The Crazy Cow

The Crazy Cow

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:42 AM

Good right up I liked it. And correct me if I am wrong but isn't the DX's bolt engine fairly simple compared to the clone.
Moo.

#3 PB2011

PB2011

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:44 AM

Someone pin this now.

And second.

Edited by PB2011, 10 April 2012 - 06:45 AM.

It's a trap! -Admiral Ackbar, a long long time ago.

#4 Latsabb

Latsabb

Your resident gun whore.

• Retired Staff
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:45 AM

Less parts than the Clone and Droid, yes, but still the most complex compared to the other mid range guns.
Oderint Dum Metuant

Posted Image

#5 Cookybiscuit

Cookybiscuit

Schadenfreude Fanatic

• Members
  • 15,640 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:46 AM

The Axe is best for everyone. Posted Image

Awarded: " the biggest dumbass on this forum" 2012

#6 PB2011

PB2011

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:56 AM

Lats, are you planning on doing one for every price range? I could see you doing a high end one, but if you do use the same layout. It's very impressive in terms of how easy this is to read. +5 Internet cookies for a well written thread.

Edited by PB2011, 10 April 2012 - 06:58 AM.

#7 Latsabb

Latsabb

Your resident gun whore.

• Retired Staff
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:57 AM

No, but I do plan to do one for the high end.
Oderint Dum Metuant

Posted Image

#8 PB2011

PB2011

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:58 AM

Awesome

#9 Russian Legion Fan

Russian Legion Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:07 AM

Nice job! This needs to be pinned.

#10 Latsabb

Latsabb

Your resident gun whore.

• Retired Staff
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:32 AM

Note: The "Special mentions" for the Alien Invasion was obviously placed wrong. The post was long, and various cut and pastes got messed up. I am currently going through, trying to fix some small errors. I apologize. The Alien has no OLED, lol.
Oderint Dum Metuant

Posted Image

#11 mustangs

mustangs

"Everyone has a plan, until they get hit in the face"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:45 AM

Nice post Latsabb! You pretty much did what I suggested in a topic I made weeks ago! Someone to compare all mid range priced gun, thanks!

Edited by mustangs, 10 April 2012 - 12:09 PM.

#12 Latsabb

Latsabb

Your resident gun whore.

• Retired Staff
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:59 AM

Yeah, it is just a shame that I dont have the ability to check out the Drone DX.
Oderint Dum Metuant

Posted Image

#13 mustangs

mustangs

"Everyone has a plan, until they get hit in the face"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:11 PM

Yeah, it is just a shame that I dont have the ability to check out the Drone DX.

I hope you get a chance at some point! I'm thinking of picking that gun up probably around the end of the summer or something. Would like to see better/more in depth reviews besides what I've been seeing and hearing

#14 naterab

naterab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:30 PM

Sticky for sure.

Great write up. Hopefully this will clear up some of the mid-range clutter :tup:

Edited by naterab, 10 April 2012 - 02:39 PM.

Zephyr Paintball

For any and all paintball needs

#15 Hitman2513

Hitman2513

Save a Rock Throw a Mini

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,526 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:01 PM

This solves every YouTube comment I've seen
Posted Image
Bitches love my Spyder Ion

[-ORaNGe-] Trolling isn't an action, it's a lifestyle :)

#16 Tenit

Tenit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:11 PM

I'd consider' aesthetics ' at least as subjective as ergonomics.

#17 Naaate

Naaate

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:25 PM

Great job at writing this up. This should help people get more of an understanding on what they really want. :tup:

#18 Latsabb

Latsabb

Your resident gun whore.

• Retired Staff
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:21 AM

I'd consider' aesthetics ' at least as subjective as ergonomics.

Aesthetics is the most subjective category, as one person might genuinely like blocky looking guns, while the next wants smooth edges. One person loves the look of double tube markers, the next wants single tube. And so on, and so on. Ergonomics, however, is not nearly as subjective. Although there are some variances, the bulk of people will lean towards a certain ergonomic standard. Nearly everyone is going to want rubberized, soft grips over hard plastic. Nearly everyone is going to want macro out the front, versus out the side, nearly everyone is going to want an HPR with some sort of softness to it, nearly everyone is going to want a frame that cradles your hand, etc. There are exceptions, of course, but not nearly to the degree of aesthetics.
Oderint Dum Metuant

Posted Image

#19 darkshocker11

darkshocker11

was the cake really a lie?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:40 AM

Great thread latsabb! Posted Image

Why did it take so long to make a Shocker with the spring stock?

#20 zchrit23

zchrit23

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:46 AM

Wow, nice post lats. Great write up on everything. Has it been stickied yet?

#21 Latsabb

Latsabb

Your resident gun whore.

• Retired Staff
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:48 AM

No. I could pin it if I wanted, but I think I will see how it goes. We try to keep stickies to a minimum.
Oderint Dum Metuant

Posted Image

#22 David A.

David A.

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:34 AM

Great post! I know it will open a can of worms, maybe add one more catigory? Upgrades. Some of the markers listed benefit more or less from available upgrades. In some cases the upgrades are economical enough to stay within the budget and can really transform a marker into something much better.

My Markers:

Polished Silver CCM T2, Polished Black CCM T2, Dust Black CCM T2, Black Bob Long MVP, Dust Back Sanchez Machine SM-1, Polished Silver CCI Phantom, Dust Black Empire AXE. 

#23 Latsabb

Latsabb

Your resident gun whore.

• Retired Staff
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:19 PM

I wont touch an upgrade category, and that is because I dont have experience with most of the upgrades. On top of that, I can only think of one upgrade in the mid range which is worth it, and that is the bolt for the Axe. Silly to make a category just for the Axe. Sorry, just talking stock markers here.
Oderint Dum Metuant

Posted Image

#24 carbo

carbo

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:38 PM

pin this right this INSTANT PIN IT I SAY!!!!!!!

#25 Paintballingdrummer

Paintballingdrummer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:46 PM

Very good write up. I hope this gets pinned. very well organized and laid out. Nice job!:tup:

#26 HU Soldier

HU Soldier

Say Chesse!! your about to get Painted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:12 PM

you make me question what gun to get....i was set on axe but now.... :huh:

#27 Latsabb

Latsabb

Your resident gun whore.

• Retired Staff
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:58 AM

you make me question what gun to get....i was set on axe but now.... :huh:

Wait... This made you MORE confused on which to get? :P Just figure out what you want in a gun, and compare. :P
Oderint Dum Metuant

Posted Image

#28 xincognitopbx

xincognitopbx

Ripper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:29 PM

Your'e making a highend one? Damn, I was planning on doing that as my team now shoots almost one of everything, while the other few off brand highends I've owned :P

But considering how nicely this turned out, by every means go ahead. Mine was going to be called 'the quest to end the versus subforum' lol.

Anyways if you can trust my judgement, drone ergos are a 7 to me. Trigger really takes away the 8, while the grips are foregrip are nothing more than a standard feel.

But the Ego 11 is shiny. :(

Dosent the Ego 11 only come in dust colours?

Feedback 2/0/0

#29 Latsabb

Latsabb

Your resident gun whore.

• Retired Staff
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:33 PM

I wont be making the high end one yet. I still need to get my Crome 2 working, and then trade the Demon into a Luxe. Then I will decide if I want to make the thread without the ZR1 and Angel SB.

As for the Drone input; thanks, but I will have to judge for myself. Everyone is different, and filling in a few blanks from various people doesnt give a full picture. Not to say that I dont trust your judgment, but I think it will flow and compare better when they are all coming from the same source.
Oderint Dum Metuant

Posted Image

#30 xincognitopbx

xincognitopbx

Ripper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:41 PM

Got ya. And a crome 2 will be interesting.

Don't bother with OofB markers. But a ZR1 maybe interesting.

Can't wait :tup:

Feedback 2/0/0

#31 Latsabb

Latsabb

Your resident gun whore.

• Retired Staff
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:17 PM

Sure, Angel is out of business, but my plan was to do a "modern high end" kind of deal. 2009 and newer, something to that degree.
Oderint Dum Metuant

Posted Image

#32 ghostdancer

ghostdancer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:30 PM

I like this list, even if I disagree with some points (i. e. the difference in packaging for Etek vs Etha: Etek 10, Etha 7: -3 for only having a plastic case instead of a tin covered case?)

Let's see how the "high end" list turns out, can't wait to see it.
Fear is just an emotion...

#33 Latsabb

Latsabb

Your resident gun whore.

• Retired Staff
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:36 PM

Unless I am mistaken, the Etha does not have a parts kit that is as comprehensive as the Etek 3. The only marker, other than the Etek 3, which scored higher than the Etha was the Reflex, as its carrying case is much nicer for general use. I do see your point, however, and I accept that it was in poor judgment, especially when i quickly browsed others that were marked with the same score. I will bump it up.
Oderint Dum Metuant

Posted Image

#34 ghostdancer

ghostdancer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:44 PM

Well, I don't have NITB Etek 3 and Etha on hand to compare the parts kit - but as far is I could remember, you get a big bunch of O-rings, detents, screws and all that stuff with both of them. More than you should need for a very long time to keep your marker running. IMO Planet Eclipse is the benchmark for all the other manufacturers in this point.

The carrying case of the Reflex is much nicer than the one of the Etha, I agree with that. More compact and the look and feel is way above that plastic case of the Etha, no doubt.

Well, in the end it's all about personal view and preferences, isn't it? ;)

I would like to see Empire ship a decent carrying case or gun bag with the Axe... it's kind of ironic, that I bought the Planet Eclipse marker bag for my Axe ;)
Fear is just an emotion...

#35 SOUP

SOUP

Uber Member

• Members
  • 7,681 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:45 PM

What about highend markers from the past? Maybe someone should do the same for them considering a large majority of people are buying used markers to save cash. I however feel like there is no right or wrong marker, and from my experiences with each I may sound somewhat bias in my reviews. Egronomics being the big one, considering everybody is different and the markers will feel good or bad depending on the size of their hands, and length of their arms, etc.

I sound like a candidate for this considering I've owned and used just about every old highend, but if people are opposed to the idea I won't even bother. As long as people know there are other choices, I feel like it would be a good database for reviews and ratings.

"Silence is a plus, violence is a must"-Tupac

---Indiana Baller---

#36 Latsabb

Latsabb

Your resident gun whore.

• Retired Staff
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:51 PM

Spanning back becomes problematic. Older guns are going to get hammered on when being judged stock. Boards without common modes/settings, didnt come with an ASA (or worse, no HPR) difficult maintenance, finicky, heavy, no ergonomics, bad aesthetics, etc. Not saying all older markers are like that, but many. In my opinion, trying to do a comprehensive list, and comparing older high ends to new high ends just doesnt sit right. Not to mention the lists will be long as hell, and all the yearly releases... As it is with 09 or later, I can make one statement covering DM9 and 10, and another covering Dm 11 and 12. Ego 9 and 10 bunched, Ego 11 for itself, etc.
Oderint Dum Metuant

Posted Image

#37 sameagol26

sameagol26

I am BTDeltafan101

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:52 PM

Great post!
Posted Image
My Youtube Channel --> BTDeltafan101

#38 SOUP

SOUP

Uber Member

• Members
  • 7,681 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:00 PM

Spanning back becomes problematic. Older guns are going to get hammered on when being judged stock. Boards without common modes/settings, didnt come with an ASA (or worse, no HPR) difficult maintenance, finicky, heavy, no ergonomics, bad aesthetics, etc. Not saying all older markers are like that, but many. In my opinion, trying to do a comprehensive list, and comparing older high ends to new high ends just doesnt sit right. Not to mention the lists will be long as hell, and all the yearly releases... As it is with 09 or later, I can make one statement covering DM9 and 10, and another covering Dm 11 and 12. Ego 9 and 10 bunched, Ego 11 for itself, etc.

Yeah there is a lot of truth to that. Most older markers are loaded with upgrades or different parts so that they can perform up to today's standards. When you buy a used marker you don't always get a stock marker and because of this, making a thread for them would be tricky. You would have to take the upgrades and parts into consideration, which is nearly impossible to do because each marker you get used will have different parts and upgrades on it.

Funny how I still choose old markers over new ones lol.

"Silence is a plus, violence is a must"-Tupac

---Indiana Baller---

#39 gogpaintballer

gogpaintballer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:10 PM

Amazing nice write up!
I am HOAGIESON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#40 Latsabb

Latsabb

Your resident gun whore.

• Retired Staff
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:28 PM

Yeah, trying to factor upgrades into a general, broad comparison is just asking for trouble. And like I said, they would be stupid long. And then I would be plagued with 'Well the problem is that you had a Shocker with the X bolt instead of Y bolt, and that is why it was blah blah blah." Nope, not a good idea. Especially since the older markers all had a million different upgrades. I couldnt hope to cover even a small fraction of them.
Oderint Dum Metuant

Posted Image

#41 carbo

carbo

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:25 PM

I can't believe this is not pinned yet

#42 xincognitopbx

xincognitopbx

Ripper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:03 AM

I can't believe this is not pinned yet

Mike had his mid life crisis where he wanted to clean up the forums :D . They ended up taking WD40 to a lotta sticky threads (some even better made than this)

If you check the stickies now, Its doubtful you'll find something like this thread that will be outdated in a year when all these manufacturers make a newer gun.

Don't get me wrong though, this post is awesome for you midend extraordinaires.

Feedback 2/0/0

#43 Latsabb

Latsabb

Your resident gun whore.

• Retired Staff
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:33 PM

Nope, not stickied, and likely wont be stickied. Mike wants this to be a discussion forum, not a "check the stickies" forum.
Oderint Dum Metuant

Posted Image

#44 madsnipes

madsnipes

CARNAGE 3!!!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,055 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:51 PM

good write up, deserves to be pinned

#45 carbo

carbo

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:13 PM

at least madsnipes agrees with me ;)

#46 Latsabb

Latsabb

Your resident gun whore.

• Retired Staff
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:18 AM

Thanks, everyone. But this wont be pinned. I appreciate that you all like the content of the thread, but we simply are not a sticky forum.
Oderint Dum Metuant

Posted Image

#47 Pballer23

Pballer23

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:42 AM

i disagree with some points but overall its a very good thing to help people with buy a marker in this price range.
i feel that the Etha shouldnt be in there since its supposed to be a Lower end marker and there are a few markers in its own price range(example: Mini, Aura, and possibly the G4). yes its not a lot but there are markers that its pretty close to in price.

#48 Latsabb

Latsabb

Your resident gun whore.

• Retired Staff
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:47 AM

The main price groupings are 300, 500, and 1200. Low end, mid range, high end. There are things in the middle, but this is how they typically stack up. And since the Axe is 460, and the Etha is 400, that makes the Etha closer to a mid range gun in price, than a low end. Especially when you look at it based on percentages. The Etha costs 33% more than the low end median, while only costing 20% less than the mid range median. The Etha would have to add 25% to its price to come up to the mid range median. Therefore, the Etha is closer to a mid range in price.

However, the main deciding factor is that there are so many people looking at the Axe, but want to know if that extra 60 bucks gets them anything over the Etha.
Oderint Dum Metuant

Posted Image

#49 Pballer23

Pballer23

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:22 PM

The main price groupings are 300, 500, and 1200. Low end, mid range, high end. There are things in the middle, but this is how they typically stack up. And since the Axe is 460, and the Etha is 400, that makes the Etha closer to a mid range gun in price, than a low end. Especially when you look at it based on percentages. The Etha costs 33% more than the low end median, while only costing 20% less than the mid range median. The Etha would have to add 25% to its price to come up to the mid range median. Therefore, the Etha is closer to a mid range in price.

However, the main deciding factor is that there are so many people looking at the Axe, but want to know if that extra 60 bucks gets them anything over the Etha.

i guess that makes sense

#50 unfated33

unfated33

Punk Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:55 AM

(apologies in advance for the semi-Necro)

Wow, I somehow have managed to miss this thread from the time I've been lurking through my entire life of posting until today (not saying much, I joined in May). I'm not sure what was wrong about my search criteria, but it just wasn't coming up. I haven't tried all of these either (the Alien and the Drone haven't met my hands), but I pretty much agree with all of the ratings. The one issue I thought of is that I personally found the Axe trigger to be much better than the Rail and Etek4 (and Crossover, see below), but since I don't have an Alien to compare it to I'm not sure if the 8 score for the Axe is low or just right.

I'm curious if you'll have the time and ability to go back and add the Tippman Crossover? I think if the Etha counts in this list then the Crossover should as well.
Happiness... is a warm mechanical marker

Mechanical Marker Fan: Azodin Kaos-D / Tippmann Crossover

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users