• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Justsomeguy

Justsomeguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:39 PM

I have played paintball on multiple occasions using rental guns and what not. I really enjoyed that sport and now I would like to buy myself some gear. I am looking for a fast, reliable marker that isn't going to run me thousands. I've been looking at the PE Etha, Etek 3 Lt, Dye Reflex Rail 2011/2012, used Geo2's, etc. My cap for a marker, tank, hopper, etc is close to 1k right now but that mean everything not just a marker. So hopefully someone can offer some experienced insight into what marker is easiest to maintain for a new player but it going to be able to compete at the level of x-ball etc. Thanks in advance for all input.

#2 Symptomz

Symptomz

Party.

• Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:48 PM

Out of all of those I would say to get a used geo 2, they are phenomenal markers.

#3 LUXOR54

LUXOR54

TechPB's smart ass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:49 PM

empire axe-470$ etek3 lt-520$
invert halo too-70$
carbon fiber tank-150$
mask of your choice-70-130$

so a total of about 730-770ish for those setups. you can pick other guns if you want and just stick the price in there. although the used high ends will be the best bang for your buck. i would reccomend getting pads aswell which would be about 70-100$ depending on the price, and dont forget about cleates! dont want to fall down now do we?. with all of that you would have a solid setup that probably would be better then mine is right now! :P

welcome to techpb!

Edited by LUXOR54, 11 April 2012 - 01:49 PM.

DLX Luxe, 2k5 ccm'd superstock. up north where we like maple syrup and hockey.

#4 Justsomeguy

Justsomeguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:44 PM

Thanks for the quick answers and thank you for the welcome. I'm not really finding anyone selling any geo's right now. If I were to say I was going to buy a 2012 reflex rail or an empire axe; which would you guys recommend??

#5 LUXOR54

LUXOR54

TechPB's smart ass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:04 PM

Thanks for the quick answers and thank you for the welcome. I'm not really finding anyone selling any geo's right now. If I were to say I was going to buy a 2012 reflex rail or an empire axe; which would you guys recommend??

honestly its all up to you. if you can hold and shoot them that would be great. but they are about equal in how nice their triggers are. the reflex has a barely smoother shot but is less effiecient and also has better ergo's (feel of the gun) most people will say get the axe because it is a nice marker for 100$ less

DLX Luxe, 2k5 ccm'd superstock. up north where we like maple syrup and hockey.

#6 Paintballingdrummer

Paintballingdrummer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:40 PM

Yeah with the two you really have to try both guns feel out. The axe seems to be love/hate with the ergonomics. If you have a local shop any where near you, you might just wanna try both out. And welcome to techpb!

#7 Original Gangsta

Original Gangsta

My name is a lie.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,698 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:54 PM

Did I meet you at Liberty Paintball on Monday? I remember meeting someone and telling them about TechPB... If it isn't you, sorry lol.

I show up at a field that I never been to before for some rec-play wearing cargo pants with a t-shirt....carrying a old mech Spyder and two pringle potato chip cans for pods shoved in the pants pockets. The stares are priceless and after the first game or so you get to see the grins from the ref and players who know....priceless.

#8 Scooter309

Scooter309

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:58 PM

I have an axe, it took me a few times playing to really get comfortable with the front grip, but now it is pretty much a non issue. The Proto/Dye UL frame fits like a well worn glove right out of the box. Either the Reflex or Axe are great choices that can compete just fine. For general maintenance the axe is about as simple as it gets, and doesn't seem to fussy either. For the rare time you need a full tear down it will be more complicated than the Reflex though. Best bet is to watch a few of the videos to get an idea of what the maintenance will be like if it really concerns you.

#9 joeakuaku

joeakuaku

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:21 PM

Look here on the forums for guns, let me get you some links on stuff you could buy used!
This is assuming your color is red
http://www.ansgear.c...oaderliqred.htm
http://www.ansgear.c...injatank-68.htm
http://www.ansgear.c...kprofit-red.htm
http://www.ansgear.c...ankcoverray.htm
http://www.ansgear.c...ngese-5-red.htm
http://www.ansgear.c...ndpodorange.htm 5 of these

http://www.ansgear.c...fatepantred.htm
http://www.ansgear.c...tejerseyred.htm
If i did my math right the total is $549
This leaves you 450 for a gun!
Ego 7
Bob long vice
possibly an ego 8
etha
etek 3
dp g3
dp g3 specr
Those are some of the options

#10 V8Special

V8Special

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:24 PM

Look here on the forums for guns, let me get you some links on stuff you could buy used!
This is assuming your color is red
http://www.ansgear.c...oaderliqred.htm
http://www.ansgear.c...injatank-68.htm
http://www.ansgear.c...kprofit-red.htm
http://www.ansgear.c...ankcoverray.htm
http://www.ansgear.c...ngese-5-red.htm
http://www.ansgear.c...ndpodorange.htm 5 of these

http://www.ansgear.c...fatepantred.htm
http://www.ansgear.c...tejerseyred.htm
If i did my math right the total is $549
This leaves you 450 for a gun!
Ego 7
Bob long vice
possibly an ego 8
etha
etek 3
dp g3
dp g3 specr
Those are some of the options

I'd go with this set up ^^ but I'd go with an axe, but what ever you do don't get a cheap mask, get thermal lens and comfortable. The size is up to you but if your heads big you won't get much cover with a lot of mask. I just ordered a pair of digi camo sly profit. They'll take a while to arrive but I'm excited.

#11 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:56 PM

MacDev Clone GT. Then the rest on mask tanks and hopper?

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#12 Justsomeguy

Justsomeguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:26 PM

Thanks so much for taking the time to put that all together! I am pretty much going to go with those things with a few alterations and I think for the gun I'm looking at either buying a new Etek3 or I found someone selling an almost new etek3 dynasty edition with less then half a case of paint through it. So I guess my question would be would I be better off buying a new one for $495~ or his slightly used for $445? Sorry for all the questions and thanks again for all the help guys.

#13 Wolferam

Wolferam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:32 PM

Welcome to Tech PB. One thing to remember though. Your first major purchase should be a high quality mask w/thermal lens. Can't shoot if you can't see. Then a good hopper, followed by a 4500psi carbon fiber tank, unless of course you're running CO2 and after all this, your marker. Still, with the budget you're working with, you'll have no problem getting what you want.

#14 joeakuaku

joeakuaku

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:04 PM

Thanks so much for taking the time to put that all together! I am pretty much going to go with those things with a few alterations and I think for the gun I'm looking at either buying a new Etek3 or I found someone selling an almost new etek3 dynasty edition with less then half a case of paint through it. So I guess my question would be would I be better off buying a new one for $495~ or his slightly used for $445? Sorry for all the questions and thanks again for all the help guys.

Ask all the questions you want man. I will keep my eye on this thread or you can pm me for anything you need to know. I would go with the used gun.
And your welcome about putting the post together with the stuff you should get, most of the stuff u will not want to change out anyways so it will be perfect for you!

#15 Justsomeguy

Justsomeguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:50 PM

Alright, well if any of you guys have shot both the new etek3 and the empire axe, which would you guys recommend for semi auto play? The field that is closest to where I live is semi auto only so the board can have the other settings as I'm sure I'll use them at some point but primarily I will be playing semi only. Should've included that orginally just totally slipped my mind.

#16 joeakuaku

joeakuaku

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:58 AM

Alright, well if any of you guys have shot both the new etek3 and the empire axe, which would you guys recommend for semi auto play? The field that is closest to where I live is semi auto only so the board can have the other settings as I'm sure I'll use them at some point but primarily I will be playing semi only. Should've included that orginally just totally slipped my mind.

Etek no question, I highly recommend buying used though, for the budget you gave me after I agged you out you could get like an ego 7/8

#17 BopIt

BopIt

#Swagg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:05 AM

I find that both triggers are very easy to walk, but i like the axes just because its very smooth. I dont think they have very good bearings in the etek trigger.

if you lubes tank barrel and hopper you can shoot gooder

[bobalis] I will state a theory that the more attractive the person is, the less crappy their piss will taste but it'll still suck

#18 new guy

new guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:16 AM

Not in your list but how about a used g6r?
My feedback-http://www.techpb.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=144245

#19 splatman917

splatman917

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:54 PM

i havent shot any of those guns, but from what ive heard about the etha this is what i'd do:

pinokio loader- $150...i have one and theyre amazing!!!
planet eclipse etha- $400
ninja 68/4500- around $150-$160

that's about $700 total

so for the mask...get whatever you'd like :)

#20 Justsomeguy

Justsomeguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:16 AM

Thanks guys, I'm actually looking at getting a used victory or a used nt10/11. I'd rather avoid a middle level gun if I can just because I don't want to spend that much just to find out I'm still getting outgunned.

#21 Wolferam

Wolferam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:42 AM

Wouldn't worry about getting "outgunned". All markers do one thing, shoot paintballs. The VAST majority of fields (especially in the US and Canada) limit you to 300 fps and some will limit to semi-auto w/12-15 bps cap or even ramping, but again usually a cap around 12-15 bps. There really isn't an electric marker out there which can't do this for you. It more or less comes down to the features for which you're looking.

#22 pb2012

pb2012

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:06 PM

Marker: used Bob Long Victory- $550
Mask: Dye I4- $100, Vforce Grillz- $90
Hopper: Dye Rotor- $175
Tank: Ninja 68/4500 CF- $180

#23 Justsomeguy

Justsomeguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:56 PM

Yeah the field I play at is semi auto only but I'm not sure if they have a bps cap or not, I know they have a 298 fps limit. I had found a nice victory for sale but didn't move on it fast enough. I've actually got my eye on a nice geo2. So I'm looking at something like; Marker: Geo 2, mask: Sly profit, hopper: dye rotor, tank: undecided. Something like that. I know it's going to be a little bit more but from everything I've heard PE is a great company and the geo is an all around good gun.

#24 MMMerc

MMMerc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:38 PM

Yeah the field I play at is semi auto only but I'm not sure if they have a bps cap or not, I know they have a 298 fps limit. I had found a nice victory for sale but didn't move on it fast enough. I've actually got my eye on a nice geo2. So I'm looking at something like; Marker: Geo 2, mask: Sly profit, hopper: dye rotor, tank: undecided. Something like that. I know it's going to be a little bit more but from everything I've heard PE is a great company and the geo is an all around good gun.

Be careful choosing masks friend, each one has it's pro's and con's, read my review of the sly profit's here:

http://www.techpb.co...1

If you want to save some money you dont have to buy a super loader right off + i'd rather skimp a bit on a super gun to get a carbon tank then to get a super gun with a steely.

Check out this video by mike to help choose:

Beware that this video is not exactly up to date, so if you need anymore info i'm sure the search bar here in techpb will work wonders for you.

Geo 2's are really nice guns, however there are alot of cheaper options that may be just as good. But it's all preference, so make sure to hold a gun. cause if you don't like its feel then you just wasted your money.

Edited by MMMerc, 17 April 2012 - 02:42 PM.

#25 Justsomeguy

Justsomeguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:16 PM

Be careful choosing masks friend, each one has it's pro's and con's, read my review of the sly profit's here:

http://www.techpb.co...1

If you want to save some money you dont have to buy a super loader right off + i'd rather skimp a bit on a super gun to get a carbon tank then to get a super gun with a steely.

Check out this video by mike to help choose:

Beware that this video is not exactly up to date, so if you need anymore info i'm sure the search bar here in techpb will work wonders for you.

Geo 2's are really nice guns, however there are alot of cheaper options that may be just as good. But it's all preference, so make sure to hold a gun. cause if you don't like its feel then you just wasted your money.

Just read your review, I'd like to think I have an average sized head and I plan on wearing either a headband or a beanie or something of the sort to try and avoid the scalp shot. But I've looked at masks like the jt proflex as well so I'm not totally settled on profits. Umm I've seen a lot of different markers that I've liked some extremely expensive, some not so much. The main reason I settled on this geo2 is simply because of it's design and the reputation of Planet Eclipse's customer service. I'd rather spend more on a gun and know the company stands behind it then spend a little less, have something break and then be screwed because I don't know how to fix it. But yes, I've been utilizing the search bar quite readily and have to say I'm glad as a newer player to have such a vast amount of knowledge at my fingertips.

#26 AxeManNY

AxeManNY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:00 PM

I can stress this enough: focus more on the other gear than the gun. These will most likely give you more enjoyment out of the game than the gun. If you give me a rental, I still play incredibly aggressive on the field, because my gear choices allow me to move comfortably and confidently without the fear of getting hurt. Plus, it takes just one broken ball to get someone out.

As far as the gun is concerned, go with the easier guns to maintain, at least to start with. In my opinion, those would be the Axe and Etek 3. I started playing a year ago with a used Etek 3, and got to know it inside and out very quickly. I just bought a brand new Empire Axe, but it wasn't my initial choice. What sold me was it's simplicity. I just want to get out there and play, not spend half my day dicking around with my gun. Also, after a game, I want to go home, clean my gear quickly, and RELAX.

P.S. go to the pro shops and try on the gear!!!!! Be sure they fit very well and protect the things you want to protect. Have you even been shot in the ear, forehead or chin/jaw? If you have a big head (like me) the Dye i4 won't protect these areas very well (I own the mask and have personally been hit in these areas). How about the nuts? Think about how much you want to mitigate the pain in certain areas, and weigh that with how much mobility/comfort you're willing to sacrifice for protection. In order to know this, you have to try the gear on.

Edited by AxeManNY, 17 April 2012 - 06:08 PM.

#27 Hitman2513

Hitman2513

Save a Rock Throw a Mini

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,526 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:14 PM

Buy some planet eclipse or dye knee and elbow pads
Posted Image
Bitches love my Spyder Ion

[-ORaNGe-] Trolling isn't an action, it's a lifestyle :)

#28 akt22

akt22

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:24 PM

Don't worry about bein "outgunned" from you electro choices. Like everyone says, most fields will only allow 280-300 fps/ramping 12 bps depending on the situation.

Most of the "outgunned" comments come from milsim-like markers. Things like poor hopper positioning, heavier weight and harder trigger pulls, which are prevalent in such markers, will make you feel outgunned as a novice, but those problems are taken off even in the low-mid end electro models like an gog extacy or azodin blitz.

What you should be looking for in such guns for now is ease of reliability and maintenence as well as CS to help you fix those problems.

Edited by akt22, 17 April 2012 - 06:24 PM.

#29 Justsomeguy

Justsomeguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:27 PM

I am actually budgetting to get a full set of pads, some pants, jersey, mask, etc.. I'm buying things slowly and my "long term" goal is to have all my own gear by this fall. I work part time so I don't make huge amounts of money but I'm also budgetting for college and a car. (Yeah I'm 17, pay for my own hobbies, and no I don't have a car..) I appreciate the opinions guys, but I'm pretty much set on buying this geo2. I'm getting a good deal on it and in no time I'll have everything I need to play with the big boys!

#30 MMMerc

MMMerc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:09 PM

I am actually budgetting to get a full set of pads, some pants, jersey, mask, etc.. I'm buying things slowly and my "long term" goal is to have all my own gear by this fall. I work part time so I don't make huge amounts of money but I'm also budgetting for college and a car. (Yeah I'm 17, pay for my own hobbies, and no I don't have a car..) I appreciate the opinions guys, but I'm pretty much set on buying this geo2. I'm getting a good deal on it and in no time I'll have everything I need to play with the big boys!

Good shit dude! hope everything goes well, dont forget to visit us here at techpb often! :) Always love to help.

#31 Justsomeguy

Justsomeguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:21 PM

Good shit dude! hope everything goes well, dont forget to visit us here at techpb often! :) Always love to help.

Thanks man! Yeah, hopefully everything goes as planned. Oh yeah I've been a fan of Mike's old videos and so I finally decided to check out the forum and I love it. I've learned so much. Thanks, I definitely am glad to have found so much information all in one place.

#32 akt22

akt22

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:04 PM

One thing I would also invest in is a chronograph. I know people don't mention it too often for a beginner, but having a chronograph is important because you can diagnose any problem w/ your marker off the field. No upgrade will be better for your marker than one that is functioning consistantly as soon as you arrive for a day's worth of play.

Edited by akt22, 17 April 2012 - 09:04 PM.

#33 The_Hyren

The_Hyren

Must suck to suck...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:25 PM

Mask : ~$100 Proto Pro Axis, Dye i4, or Sly Profit: Do your best to TRY EACH ONE ON. They each fit different and until its on your face you won't know if it's right for you or not.
Tank : ~$150 4500psi Carbon Fiber Ninja Tank, these are nice because the reg is adjustable especially the newest ones and the weigh is great. The size you pick should be based on play style because they're about the same price. I have a 90cu in but thats for scenario and with a remote. Speed ball wise front players usually get 45/50cu in and backs go for 62/68 cu in
Pads : ~$100 Knee and elbow, any major brand (dye or empire usually), always get the oldest year they stock for price reasons.
Marker : <$550 Since you specified about lower maintenance, you definitely want a poppet based gun. The etha, geo and proto rail are not this type of system. Poppets have half as many orings and take less lubrication typically, hence better based on your specs. Bonus, poppets are typically more air efficient. So you should look for stuff like DP G4, PE Etek LT, Used Bob Longs, DP Fusion, Empire Axe. Sadly, most of these markers perform exactly the same with only slight differences in board programming so I (sadly =/) recommend you pick based on how it looks and feels in your hands rather than anything else.
Jersey, etc. Really varies, I haven't ever bought anything other than my TechPB jersey and I don't really think that they are necessary or worth while unless you intend to get really serious with the sport (As in play in tourneys). You can dump a lot of cash and they don't really make a difference except when your sliding.

Edited by The_Hyren, 17 April 2012 - 09:28 PM.

#34 Justsomeguy

Justsomeguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

I will definitely look into getting a crono then. Any ideas of where would be the best to look for a preferrably used one? And I appreciate all the opinions guys but I've pretty much ruled out the etek, axe, mini, etha, etc. I'd rather spend a little more up front and have an all around better marker than to spend 400 bucks and then wish I had just saved and bought a nicer marker to begin with.

#35 akt22

akt22

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:46 PM

The usual used places (bst, ebay etc.) will give you the best options. I think critical pb might have them new for slightly cheaper.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users