36 replies to this topic

#1 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,574 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:58 PM

So ever since the first time I got hit, I've been wary about my profile behind the bunker. I try to play tight out of instinct at this point, and ever since I've started to play, I always tilted my gun to the side when I shoot. Now with my grav fed hopper it was horrible trying to prevent chops and such, but with a Halo it's helping a bit more. But I still notice the corkscrew the balls tend to have.
Is this because of my underboring? Is it because I tilt my gun to the side? Is it because of the both? I've taken into account the paint I'm using, and sometimes I hork out enough to get Evil, and it still, though less often, corkscrews the paintballs a whole bunch.
Another thing is: Is it because of my detents? Because the ones on my gun are on the bottom and they put a big backspin on the balls.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#2 JGARRIGUES0001

JGARRIGUES0001

idk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:27 AM

If your detents, eyes, breech, barrel, and bolt are clean than everything you're talking about is caused by your paint. Tilting your gun does not cause your paint to curve in any particular direction. Clean everything thoroughly and buy good paint. If you're worried/wondering about your profile then use a mirror to get an advantage, practice in front of the mirror and gain muscle memory so it stays with you on the field.

#3 drg

drg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:57 AM

Tilting doesn't really change how your gun fires but it also doesn't really help your profile.
Keep your pump hand strong!
PUMPPB.COM TIGHTSTICK - Custom LAPCO 1-piece underbore barrel! SALE!
PUMPPB.COM - Pump paintball forums
HawaiiPB.com - Paintball forums for the state of Hawaii
HawaiiPB/PumpPB - Our videos

#4 Troy

Troy

What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:28 AM

Typically, as mentioned above, corkscrews seem to be caused by paint in the barrel/chamber/hopper.

Tilting doesn't really change how your gun fires but it also doesn't really help your profile.

Depends on whether or not you can get the hopper tucked out of view.

Edited by Troy, 19 April 2012 - 08:29 AM.

\m/

#5 BopIt

BopIt

#Swagg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:53 PM

Typically, as mentioned above, corkscrews seem to be caused by paint in the barrel/chamber/hopper.

Depends on whether or not you can get the hopper tucked out of view.

But then your elbow is sticking out. It better to come out in a straight line than tilted.

if you lubes tank barrel and hopper you can shoot gooder

[bobalis] I will state a theory that the more attractive the person is, the less crappy their piss will taste but it'll still suck

#6 WiscoBaller

WiscoBaller

Master Member

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:04 PM

depends if you tuck your elbow, or act like you are shooting trap.

University of Wisconsin Whitewater Paintball Club
Sponsored by KEE, H2 Paintball, Empire
The Hooligans Paintball Team
Bob Long Victory Ripper Dye Rotor Dye Throttle 70/4500
Bob Long Ripper FST

#7 Lotus

Lotus

Tech Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

Tilting definitely works for reducing your profile, especially if you're playing out of dorito bunkers.

Posted Image

#8 MMMerc

MMMerc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:42 PM

If it didnt why would the pro's do it? For fun? :P

#9 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,105 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:58 PM

i only see them do it when going over the top, or a dorrito, when it make sense.
The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

And yes, Gordon is the sexiest manifestation of "to the front."

#10 Toat

Toat

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:12 PM

sorry is this against the rules of the forums?

Edited by Toat, 19 April 2012 - 05:12 PM.

#11 MMMerc

MMMerc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:14 PM

i only see them do it when going over the top, or a dorrito, when it make sense.

lol sorry meant tucking their elbow's

#12 rntlee

rntlee

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:39 PM

... But I still notice the corkscrew the balls tend to have.
Is this because of my underboring?

How much are you under-boring?
Try a large overbore (>.004") and see if you notice any difference.
Oops, did I just say that? Posted Image

#13 Suit

Suit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:23 PM

There is a benefit to tilting you paintball marker in my eyes. 4 out of 5 of my hopper hits are because I come out of a bunker without my hopper slanted.

#14 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,105 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:46 PM

There is a benefit to tilting you paintball marker in my eyes. 4 out of 5 of my hopper hits are because I come out of a bunker without my hopper slanted.

and 4 out of 5 of your gog hit are misses from your loader
The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

And yes, Gordon is the sexiest manifestation of "to the front."

#15 madsnipes

madsnipes

TechPB's Jailbot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,043 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:41 PM

wow who moved this?

Edited by madsnipes, 19 April 2012 - 09:42 PM.

#32 "Dusty" of the Devil Dogs. Give us a like if you want - Devil Dogs Paintball

TechPBsig_zpsbc0cb057.jpg

#16 CavenaughW

CavenaughW

Ballin'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:44 AM

I tilt my marker all the time. Even if I'm just holding it at home its tilted.

#17 Greasy Balls

Greasy Balls

The Shrimp Mane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:24 PM

tilting doesn't help your profile, because if the balls don't hit the hopper they will hit you. The reason people do it is there's a less chance of it breaking if it hits you.

Posted Image

4/0/0

#18 MMMerc

MMMerc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:27 PM

tilting doesn't help your profile, because if the balls don't hit the hopper they will hit you. The reason people do it is there's a less chance of it breaking if it hits you.

People do it because it minimizes their profile, making alot less of you to hit and the only part that sticks out should be a covered tank and a padded jersey, allowing only areas that have a better chance of bounces to show.

What you mean to say: "People tuck themselves in because it reduces the size of the target to hit, while at the same time, providing the only parts showing should make bounces much more probable if done correctly."

It hides a large part of your gun, if you dont think it helps, then feel welcome to stick your hopper out first in speedball.

Edited by MMMerc, 20 April 2012 - 01:29 PM.

#19 IhasAcellular

IhasAcellular

You will never be 9 headbands agg.

• Chat Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,530 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:35 PM

People do it because it minimizes their profile, making alot less of you to hit and the only part that sticks out should be a covered tank and a padded jersey, allowing only areas that have a better chance of bounces to show.

What you mean to say: "People tuck themselves in because it reduces the size of the target to hit, while at the same time, providing the only parts showing should make bounces much more probable if done correctly."

It hides a large part of your gun, if you dont think it helps, then feel welcome to stick your hopper out first in speedball.

I disagree.

If you tilt your loader behind the bunker, you're exposing more of your mask in its place. Anyone have the links to the old Joy Division snap shooting tutorial? It outlines the concept quite well.

Edited by IhasAcellular, 20 April 2012 - 01:35 PM.

Posted Image

#20 MMMerc

MMMerc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:48 PM

I disagree.

If you tilt your loader behind the bunker, you're exposing more of your mask in its place. Anyone have the links to the old Joy Division snap shooting tutorial? It outlines the concept quite well.

Well would you rather have a mask that has a chance of a bounce? Or a hopper that will have none at all? The bottom of flexible masks were specifically designed to increase bounce probability, no hopper has any bounce chance.

I'm not talking about full horizontal tilt, but just enough to hide your hopper, if you peak to far then yeah your going to get shot. But then again, preference is everything.

Edited by MMMerc, 20 April 2012 - 01:50 PM.

#21 IhasAcellular

IhasAcellular

You will never be 9 headbands agg.

• Chat Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,530 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:53 PM

I disagree.

Well would you rather have a mask that has a chance of a bounce? Or a hopper that will have none at all? The bottom of flexible masks were specifically designed to increase bounce probability, no hopper has any bounce chance.

You arent exposing the bottom of your mask...you're exposing more lens.

Plus,coming out without tilting gives you a long, skinny profile which is harder to hit than the short, wide profile tilting gives you.

Posted Image

#22 MMMerc

MMMerc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:09 PM

I will agree with that, actually... i can see what your saying now... okay okay... i can dig that.

#23 UV Halo

UV Halo

Bringing the Big Guns to LLVI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:33 PM

In case anyone is still doubting, I took a couple pics to illustrate just what happens when you tilt your gun behind a vertical bunker (vice a dorito. The key thing is that if you are keeping your gun pointed at a specific target, your barrel becomes the axis around which you are rotating the gun.

In the following pics, the camera is positioned (as best I could) to be looking straight down the barrel, with a yellow reball in the breech. Because of the camera and barrel orientation, the pics depict what your target would see if you were pointing at them.

SP-1 with hopper and 68ci tank:
Vertical- Tank, feedneck and hopper are all partially visible.
Posted Image

Rotating the hopper in, while aiming at the same target, rotates the tank outward. Tank fully visible before the hopper and feedneck are fully concealed.
Posted Image

#24 Purplecrayon

Purplecrayon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:43 PM

Pros don't tuck their loaders in anymore... Any ball that would hit your loader would hit either your lense or forehead if you're holding your gun right. And balls bounce off my rotor all the time. I've had a ball bounce off my lens like twice

#25 MMMerc

MMMerc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:46 PM

Pros don't tuck their loaders in anymore... Any ball that would hit your loader would hit either your lense or forehead if you're holding your gun right. And balls bounce off my rotor all the time. I've had a ball bounce off my lens like twice

Unless you guys were shooting rubber then i don't really see how thats even possible...

#26 Talic

Talic

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:07 AM

Unless you guys were shooting rubber then i don't really see how thats even possible...

I've had it happen to me yesterday actually. Lens bounce that is.

#27 Red Infinity

Red Infinity

sugar berzerk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:23 PM

I tilt my marker because it is more natural for me...Any my mask gets tons of bounces.
RAWR?

#28 Bacon1498

Bacon1498

NEVER cook bacon naked.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:04 PM

i tilt mine. feels natural and i think its personal prefernece anyway, i think each way was some advantages so its up to the player imo.
Seriously, don't cook it naked....

Invert Mini, Rotor, Pro Axis. . . Things to get in the future: pants, techpb jersey, elbow pads, and a pump :D

#29 drg

drg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:31 PM

I stick my hopper out first all the time ("roll method") ... it works fine because snapping happens in 4 dimensions.
Keep your pump hand strong!
PUMPPB.COM TIGHTSTICK - Custom LAPCO 1-piece underbore barrel! SALE!
PUMPPB.COM - Pump paintball forums
HawaiiPB.com - Paintball forums for the state of Hawaii
HawaiiPB/PumpPB - Our videos

#30 RADO

RADO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:32 PM

annnnnd back on subject to the question. i would use less lube on your bolt. if you overlube it it shoots down the barrel and causes spin. there are other ways it happens but this seen to be the overlooked the most becuase people will clean everything and after the first shot it was worse than before.

#31 Greasy Balls

Greasy Balls

The Shrimp Mane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:42 PM

In case anyone is still doubting, I took a couple pics to illustrate just what happens when you tilt your gun behind a vertical bunker (vice a dorito. The key thing is that if you are keeping your gun pointed at a specific target, your barrel becomes the axis around which you are rotating the gun.

In the following pics, the camera is positioned (as best I could) to be looking straight down the barrel, with a yellow reball in the breech. Because of the camera and barrel orientation, the pics depict what your target would see if you were pointing at them.

Posted Image

Rotating the hopper in, while aiming at the same target, rotates the tank outward. Tank fully visible before the hopper and feedneck are fully concealed.
Posted Image

now picture a person behind that gun. that ball is gonna hit the hopper in the first pic, and the player in the second pic. Like I said it doesn't help ur profile it just increases the chance of bounces

Posted Image

4/0/0

#32 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,574 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:40 AM

Well when I tilt my hopper in I have the tank on top of my inner elbow and not use my shoulder as support. Feels nicer that way if I do that. Other wise its always in my shoulder.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#33 Borgar11

Borgar11

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:40 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ok it may be better but pros definitly tilt their guns on top of that its not even a matter of trying to be more sleek its just the way you hold your gun.

i just watch a video on NPPL las vegas 2011 and even the thumbnail photo was ollie lang tilting his gun, every single player they showed in this 5 min video tilted their gun.
Dm11/Vanguard Creed owner.

#34 Lotus

Lotus

Tech Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:15 AM

It does help your profile when you factor in that you have to see. Your head has to come out a bit further than the hopper for at least some of the time.

Posted Image

#35 UV Halo

UV Halo

Bringing the Big Guns to LLVI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:53 PM

Ok it may be better but pros definitly tilt their guns on top of that its not even a matter of trying to be more sleek its just the way you hold your gun.

i just watch a video on NPPL las vegas 2011 and even the thumbnail photo was ollie lang tilting his gun, every single player they showed in this 5 min video tilted their gun.

Well, just a few days ago, I stumbled across an Ollie Lang and Dave Youngblood training session and, Ollie indicated that you need to have your hopper/gun vertical if you're behind a vertical surface (like a can) and tilted if you're behind a tilted surface, like a dorito (and he favors slanted bunkers like doritos as they allow for a more relaxed shooting stance.

It does help your profile when you factor in that you have to see. Your head has to come out a bit further than the hopper for at least some of the time.

But, aren't we supposed to be sighting down the barrel (so the eye is actually lower than the hopper)?

#36 Kikkia

Kikkia

Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:00 PM

I tilt my gun about 30 degrees t keep the hopper out of the way.
Etek3 /Dye Rotor/GI 68/45

#37 Lotus

Lotus

Tech Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:43 PM

I don't put my eyes right at barrel level. That raises my setup and increases my profile by having my hopper too high.

Edited by Lotus, 04 May 2012 - 03:44 PM.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users