Photo

Thinking about getting into photography...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 IVIidnight

IVIidnight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:40 PM

I genuinely love paintball and every element of it. I love to show off the paintball experience to people who have no idea (Family members and what not) but i hate the extra attention a barrel/goggle cam gets me, anyway, Im thinking photography is a good way to do this, i feel i would have an easier time getting started because i used to photoshop frequently a few years back and have been editing videos ever since i stopped, i also have handled cameras similar to the caliber of cameras used for paintball photography (i know editing photos is not anything at all like videos, but i have the patience to learn)...

Now that the rambling is over with, if i was to start paintball photography, what is a basic idea of what i would need (besides camera+ lens/lenses and protection for camera/lenses) to get myself started. And is there anything you guys think i should know before getting into it. Also, would this be a good source of just random money? I know i wont be making any money when i start and until i learn to edit + process the photos better, but hypothetically speaking.

Thanks for any reply, and thanks for taking the time to read my thread.

#2 WiscoBaller

WiscoBaller

Master Member

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:39 AM

honestly, paintball photographers make hardly any money at all, and put their gear through hell and back.

University of Wisconsin Whitewater Paintball Club
Sponsored by KEE, H2 Paintball, Empire
The Hooligans Paintball Team
Bob Long Victory Ripper Dye Rotor Dye Throttle 70/4500
Bob Long Ripper FST

#3 Bethella PB Photography

Bethella PB Photography

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:51 AM

To be honest, I don't make any money from my photos (that's fine with me, as it isn't my primary source of income), but I would imagine that it is pretty hard to start off. I think the best thing to do is pick a field that you play at a lot and ask the owner if he is okay with you taking photos. That's how I started off and every time the owner sees me walking on the field with my kit, his eyes light up. Again, I do it for free and that is probably why he's super happy that I am there :P My fiancée and I also have a lot of friends that play at that field too, and they love having their picture taken and quite often use my photos as their Facebook profile picture.

I guess for starting out, take a few photos for free to get yourself a portfolio and then start charging for your services. I don't know how much to charge, so you'll have to look around a bit for that. I'm sure someone on here might be able to shed some light on that!

Anyway, I hope that helps some!

Edited by Bethella PB Photography, 04 July 2012 - 08:55 AM.

#4 Pakistani

Pakistani

www.AliZaman.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:02 PM

I took did PB photography for roughly 2 years. Shot at PSP, NPPL, EPL, NCPA's, a ton of local tournaments, and countless weekends at the field taking pics.

The best advice i can give anyone in your shoes is this: just because you love paintball, doesn't mean you'll love taking pictures of it. Every single person i know who has been doing PB photography for any length of time burns out on it extremely quickly, unless they balance out what they take pictures of with other fun and exciting things.
You'll find that after a while, unless you get access to some very very high caliber teams, all your shots will start to kind of look the same. player in dorito, player diving into snake, player getting shot, etc. the satisfaction of getting a cool shot becomes less and less after a while because you've probably already gotten that shot already. So my point is this- dont spend the money on photography if you are only interesting in taking PB photos. if you think you'll actually like photography, then take the plunge as you'll have other uses for your camera.

to answer your other questions-
dont expect to make any money unless you're lucky enough to have some major tournaments local to you. You'll make the decent money at bigger events, but usually after hotel, gas, media pass, etc. you only end up breaking even.
for world cup i used to charge teams $100-$150 for coverage and cover about 5-6 teams. good money right? nope. After plane tickets, rental car, hotel, gas, food, media pass, etc. i only broke even.

anyways, my point is- paintball photography is not for the faint of heart. you're going to spend hours on end getting shot, getting your gear messed up, editing photos, hosting, sharing, etc. to do this. so only take the dive if you think you're cut out for it.
from my own personal experience, i can confidently say i don't find any enjoyment in taking paintball pictures anymore.

KPS Paintball VCU Rams Richmond Rage

If you need help with a Dye gun, PM me!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users