• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Luke_850222

Luke_850222

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:19 PM

I'm wondering who has played PALS and their experiences with it. Costs, complexity airfare, ect.
thanks-Luke

#2 OOG671

OOG671

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:01 PM

Hi Luke,
I've competed in PALS in 2007 and 2009 WCA. It really depends on which PALS event you are thinking of going to. The 2007 event I played was in the Philippines. The 2009 was the World Cup Asia (WCA) in Malaysia.

Costs: Well obviously the air fare is going to cost you a lot coming from the US mainland.
Tourney Registration and ID: Not much. You'll need to check the PALS website but it's not a lot. At least when compared to US tourneys like the PSP and NPPL.
Paint: Usually there are limited options between 2-3 types. They are around $70-$80 a case
Hotel & Lodging: Not too expensive in my opinion especially since most of them are nice resorts anyways. It helps if your sharing the rooms with your teammates. I don't remember the exact cost but I'm sure you can find it online.
Food: Depending on the region you can have a feast and a good one at that for very little cost.

I am guessing you plan on attending the World Cup Asia event which is in Langkawi island at the end of the year. I've not personally attended but teams from out here have and I've heard good things about this indoor tourney.

Here is some info:

You can PM preacher_pbm: http://www.techpb.co...?showuser=19426 He handles the woodsball/scenario tourneys aspect out in Malaysia but he would have info on the PALS events or at least point you in the direction.

You can also go to this forum: http://www.xtionpaintball.com/forum/ You can get more info from the folks handling the PALS events and find out the field layouts, teams competing, deals, fees, clinics, and if you are looking for team to play with this is also the place to post it. Look for users:Gungho Paul and Allan Phang. Paul is very good at responding. You can also look for him on facebook under the name: Paul Lam Weng Yen. Paul is the head of the PALS.

Hope that helps. Wish I could go this year but probably not. We've got a team from Guam that is currently ranked 2nd in D2 and they'll be heading out in a couple of weeks to play an event in Malaysia and then at the end of the year at WCA. Hopefully they can continue to stay on top and maybe win the series.

Edited by OOG671, 09 May 2012 - 07:02 PM.

Pro Jerseys FST Feedback:http://www.techpb.co...showtopic=61562
Muppet #72, Christian Baller

#3 houdini

houdini

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:42 PM

Flights from the US are going to be the most expensive part of your trip. You'll have to fly to KL, Malaysia - the capital and then fly to Langkawi (you also may be able to fly to Bangkok, Thailand then Langkawi)

Playing costs are far less than US tournaments except for the paint which is about $70/$75 a box.

If you are looking for a team to play for send me your details - were always looking for guest players - we'll be playing Division 2

#4 OOG671

OOG671

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:03 PM

Hopefully you'll get to meet the Guam All Stars Houdini. Team Zoo....hmm...does Shameen play with you guys sometimes?

#5 houdini

houdini

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:20 PM

Hopefully you'll get to meet the Guam All Stars Houdini. Team Zoo....hmm...does Shameen play with you guys sometimes?

lol I played GAS in Bangkok this year... ZOO won't be playing the next PALS event in KL as we are short on numbers so looks like the PALS series title could go to GAS if you do well.

Yep Shameen plays with us sometimes as he's the Angel rep in Asia and we were sponsored by Angel

#6 OOG671

OOG671

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:18 AM

I'm not part of the GAS...Just know players on there. Kinda retired from tourney ball as it's expensive and don't have as much time to commit to training/playing with two babies at home. Shameen guested for my former team in 2009 at WCA. Funny guy....too bad APS is gone even though the owners still run a paintball field in UK. I used to shoot Angels back in the day. My first Angel was a 2002 Speed. Then I got a G7 with 90 degree frame. Followed by an A1. Than my last Angel was a nice A1 Fly Rasta non-lasered. If I ever get the cash to waste I'd probably pickup another Fly one day or an SB. Angels are great shooters. You just have to know how to take care and operate them which isn't hard.

Since I was not there any advise you can give GAS that you saw? I know they came in 2nd at Bangkok but it was not 1st either.

Also, Luke......PALS tourneys have a great atmosphere and the players party is great. However, make sure you turn your trip into a vacation. Allow time to enjoy the sites and people since your flying all the way there. Also gear is expensive so don't expect to find great deals on paintball items at the trade show. But for other shopping it's okay. If you attended the events in Thailand or Philippines your money would definitely go a lot further.

#7 houdini

houdini

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:51 AM

The guys from GAS have been playing longer than we have - they know what they are doing even though ZOO beat them in the prelims (luckily the boys gave us a free point) - they finished 2nd which is more than I can say for ZOO - but then again we came up against Rocktar Canada in the quarter finals and they didn't drop a game all the way to #1 spot. The Canadians were just too well drilled and shot a lot of paint so it was hard to beat them - luckily for GAS, Rockstar Canada won't be going to KL at the end of the month but the local Malaysian teams are hard to beat in D2. It all depends on the field layout I suppose and how many you can lane off the break. I find that teams that can create damage off the break will generally get an early advantage and win points...

We're still rocking our Angel A1's - little to no tech needed and they shot as well as any of the latest gats...

#8 OOG671

OOG671

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:16 AM

Shooting a lot of paint is a tough one for us out here. The sport is expensive and whether it's practice or a tourney you don't see teams shoot nearly as much as the teams competing in PALS for sure. It's crazy how much paint is shot in just one game. I never shot more than 4 pods game at WCA 2009 and I'd freakout when I see opponents walking off the field carrying 8 empty pods. In fact I think I shot on average 2 pods and a hopper even when we were up and I was pushing hard down the line. That point your talking about is that when one of the teammates hit the buzzer by accident with his marker?

#9 houdini

houdini

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:20 AM

I think the D2 Canadian shot more paint than the D1 team - from what i heard it was well over 60 boxes

Yes the infamous marker hitting the buzzer when GAS were 2 v 1 on the field... we came back after that to win the match. Oh well they got 2nd - we came 6th so in the end it worked out for them.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users