• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 BigDaddyJob

BigDaddyJob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:08 PM

Hey guys, here is my review of the new Tippmann Crossover. I will try to keep this fairly informal, mostly just an overview of the features of the marker, LOTSO pictures and a few videos.
This was done with the help of XGC_Cheevo. Great help as we used his Virtue clock, 88/45 ninja tank, and a bit of his paint as well. Thanks again man!

To start off:

Packaging is fairly "Tippmann". Very plain with not much frill, no hard packaging, just a cardboard box with some folds inside to store the extras.

CON: Marker already has some box rash on the side from just sitting on the cardboard.

Posted Image

The things that are included in the package are all expected. You will receive:
- 1 Tippmann Crossover Marker:rolleyes:
- 1 Tippmann A-5/X-7 threaded barrel:rolleyes:
- a Tippmann Barrel sock
- a Fairly nice soft squeegie (not the rubber washer on a cord anymore)
- All the Allen wrenches you need to completely disassemble the Crossover
- Some spare grease
- ONE extra O-ring... I haven't found what it is for yet...
- and a DE-Volumizer (More on this later)

Posted Image

De-Volumizer:
The picture pretty much says it all, but they state this is for "Lower velocity settings". I am unsure how low they are talking about as we were able to chronograph this marker down to 236fps with an old brass barrel. This spacer is quite large, around an inch thick that will drop right in to the volume chamber of the drive-train.
I have not tried to put this in as I will never be using it. If it is requested enough I could do a video showing what it may chronograph at with the spacer in place.

Posted Image

Drive-Train:
I did not dig into this too deep as I didn't have the time nor the tools to take it apart. It is SLATHERED in "Certified Tippmann Grease". I assume this is the same white lithium grease used in the cyclones.
It is very similar to the Phenom but obviously has the regulator removed from the back of the flex-valve and attached to the bottom of the grip frame. The added volume chamber is interesting and I would like to see what pressure this runs at. I do not have the ability to test that at the moment.
One thing that is interesting is that they've added a couple pods of efficiency to the crossover from the Phenom. This can be seen on Youtube thanks to HustlePaintball.com.

HustlePaintball.com Tests the Efficiency of the Tippmann Crossover Paintball Marker - YouTube

Posted Image

Electronics:
This is probably the hardest section for me to review because I really only shoot automags...
Anyway, the eye system works well and are easily reachable when you remove the eye cover. HOWEVER, you will need to remove the grip frame to get the eyes out of the body.

SORRY EVERYBODY... they stuck their rubber detent in this thing. On both sides. The do seem to work well as always, but it would be nice to see a nice rebuildable ball detent. But there is something to say for sticking with what you know.

Posted Image

Now the left side of the grip frame houses only the battery. Where the right side should not need to be accessed unless you need to reset your tourney lock. The tourney lock is a small dip-switch with only on or off.
Buyer be warned, they have covered it from the factory with a little plastic that has been glued over the switch! A little annoying if your not ready for it.

Posted Image
Posted Image

The LED's on the rear of the grip frame and the single button are a bit confusing at first. They have some nice features:
The Top LED indicates eye condition (Ball in breach or not)
The middle LED indicates Firing mode (More on colors later)
The bottom LED indicates Battery condition (Green = new, Yellow = good, Red= replace)
The Eyes can be turned off only one way, a single click on the rear button. To turn them back on you can either click the rear button again, or you can turn the selector switch from Auto to Manual and back again.
Eyes ON:
Posted Image
Eyes OFF:
Posted Image

The programming is a bit wonkey. It took approximately 1 beer to properly change modes. (5-min for you under-agers :old:)

To change modes:
Hold the button on the rear of the grip for ~4 seconds. All the LED's will blink orange 4 times indicating you are in programming mode. (You must have your tourney lock off to enter this mode)
You have 2 choices in programming mode: Green and Yellow.
Green is for your firing mode, Yellow is for Advanced Programming. You will select between the two by pulling the trigger.
These LED's are VERY VERY hard to differentiate. You can tell a difference after you have switched two or three times. Sub-modes are now indicated by the bottom LED.
To select a mode, hold the trigger for ~2 seconds. The middle LED will flash 4 times to indicate you have entered that mode.
Green: Firing mode, you will cycle through each mode again by pulling the trigger and again you will select the mode you want by holding the trigger for ~2 seconds
NOW! Be fast, to save this setting, you need to hold the trigger and the rear button until the LED's flash four times. This will kick you out of programming settings and save your new setting.

Firing Modes:
All of these are set to 15 BPS with the exception of PSP mode.
RED LED: 3-shot burst (first three trigger pulls are semi-auto)
GREEN LED: NXL Full-Auto (FACTORY DEFAULT - first three pulls are semi-auto)
BLUE LED: Auto Response
YELLOW LED: Semi-automatic
ORANGE LED: PSP/CFOA (12.5 BPS)
PURPLE LED: Millenium

ADVANCED Programming:
RED LED: Dwell
This is selected by a ~2 second trigger pull and you will then pull the number of times until your desired setting is reached. (Chart available in the manual). Factory setting is at 5.0 ms.
GREEN LED: Debounce
There are 3 settings, Low, Medium, and High.
BUYER BEWARE on ALL THREE SETTINGS this thing took off uncontrollably in PSP mode. We could not stop it. We ran out of paint to take a proper video of this, but we will document it later.
BLUE LED: Rate of Fire (ROF)
Again, this is a pull and count type of programming. Chart is in the manual. This is programmable from 2 bps - 15 bps.
REMEMBER! With all of these, you need to SAVE the setting by holding the trigger and the selector button simultaneously until the LED's flash 4 times.

OTHER FEATURES:
The trigger is not user-friendly at all. It has quite a bit of side-side play and is very stiff. It is also very bouncy as previously mentioned.

The Feedneck however is a nice touch. When we locked the Empire Prophecy in place, there was no concern at all. It has a rubberized texture both inside and out as well as a lever lock and thumb adjuster knob for tightening. It is a very nice feedneck (Thank you Tippmann)

Posted Image

The barrel is fairly typically Tippmann. It is very rough inside and seems like an afterthought more than a feature. I think they realize that it is meant to be replaced. I have included a picture below of the barrel, but it is tough to see just how rough it is inside.

Posted Image

Size-wise, this marker ranks right in there. Ill include a couple pictures for you to make your own observations. With these, we just tried to line up the triggers (Notice how far ahead the feedneck is on the Crossover), this has a very long drive-train.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Now on to the good part! Shooting videos!
Image to show the wind on this particular day (Approx: 5mph gusts).
Posted Image

On the Virtue clock, we ripped a stream on PSP to see the consistency of the reg. (NOT GOOD). This reg is all over the place. Even firing slow as you will see later, it is +-13fps. The does have a lot of paintball marker kick as well. I think I may be able to fix some of this with some adjusting, but it will take some time.
Somewhat tough to see, but the clock shows an average of 275fps, +-13fps, and a bps of 12.5.

Posted Image

Here is the Accuracy on a cardboard box at ~75 feet with the stock barrel. This box is approximately the size of a human torso and ~80% of the balls hit the target. Not bad for the condition of the stock barrel. I count 16 hits on the box out of the 20 we shot. One video is with the stock barrel, the other with an old brass barrel I have in A-5 threads, accuracy was about dead even.

75ft accuracy

75ft accuracy 2

Posted Image
Posted Image

Slow shooting chronograph readings:

Mechanical Mode:

Semi-Auto E-mode

If you have any questions/suggestions/comments/concerns, let me know I will do my best to answer or solve them for you. Just post here or PM if you want a bit more of my attention. Hope you enjoyed it, sorry, I tried to do well as this was my first review.

#2 greenie

greenie

v(BEES)v

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:17 PM

wow, awesome review. Bit disappointed in the Crossover.

#3 XGC_Cheevo

XGC_Cheevo

Pod Scalping You

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:38 PM

As was I to be honest. I can confirm the trigger is very bouncy. We had to turn the marker off electronic a couple times to stop it from firing through a whole hopper. We even tried the debounce on every setting possible with the board to no avail. Perhaps with some adjustment on the trigger it could be under more control but we didn't have the time last night. Sun was going down a little faster than anticipated. I was hoping for a some what quiet shot, similar to a Phenom, but the gun is undoubtedly louder than the Phenom and doesn't feel near as smooth, probably due to the weight difference. Saving settings in the board is also annoying. You pick your setting, wait for a confirmation, but it's only saved temporarily in the board memory until you again lock the setting by pushing the mode button and the trigger at the same time. Then it's finally saved internally.

We might try and mess around with some settings on the board this weekend and run some more paint through to see if we can smooth the marker out and maybe get some better quality videos up. Our main camera's battery died and we had to resort to my digital camera for a couple of the videos.

#4 poliuy

poliuy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:42 PM

Great review!

Add in a conclusion, or if efficiency and consistency change with a new barrel.

#5 AceComets

AceComets

Low-Ball Extraordinaire

• Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,582 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:09 PM

I think that the bolt system looks pretty good, very mini/axe-ish when you take the first gander at it. seems like it has a lot of potential.

I will fucking cut you AceComets, I will cut you like....paper with......scissors?

Ace's Feedback Ace's Mod App

#6 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:20 PM

#7 pb=life

pb=life

I like penguins

• TechPB Players Club
  • 8,135 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:28 PM

nice write-up :tup:

#8 jake t

jake t

"Intimidate, Dominate, Celebrate"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:36 PM

i would not expect a lot from tippman on their first real tournament marker.

the will need time to work out the kinks, still kinda disappointed though

#9 Hitman2513

Hitman2513

Save a Rock Throw a Mini

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,526 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:33 AM

i would not expect a lot from tippman on their first real tournament marker.

the will need time to work out the kinks, still kinda disappointed though

Posted Image
Bitches love my Spyder Ion

[-ORaNGe-] Trolling isn't an action, it's a lifestyle :)

#10 BigDaddyJob

BigDaddyJob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:40 AM

I have to say I am a bit dissapointed. But, to be honest, this marker has good ergonomics, it is light, and it will do everything they say it will do. Hopefully the aftermarket can bring us a reg and a little smoother drive for this system and they will really have something great.

#11 bassfisher

bassfisher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:44 AM

honestly, I can't wait for mike to review this thing. I have a feeling it's going to be pretty funny
Carolina Riot Scenario Team

#12 PB2011

PB2011

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:00 AM

Well, this was disappointing (not the write-up, it was awesome, but the gun seems... lacking).
It's a trap! -Admiral Ackbar, a long long time ago.

#13 IhasAcellular

IhasAcellular

You will never be 9 headbands agg.

• Chat Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,530 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:20 AM

Very good review, seemed to touch on everything quite well. This platform seems to have a lot of potential, i cant wait for tippmann to refine it.

Posted Image

#14 HU Soldier

HU Soldier

Say Chesse!! your about to get Painted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:17 AM

fine tuning and lower price point, i think it could be an amzing marker

#15 Syrellaris

Syrellaris

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:48 AM

For there first Speedball marker that comes with the same power as there woods / scenario guns, I would say it did well. But yes, I am glad I did not go with it. I would assume the crossover 2 is going to be completely different in someway when they recieved a few months worth of feedback from this gun. I could even see them making High end speedball markers a few years from now when they have more experience.\

Thanks for the Review :)

Edited by Syrellaris, 11 May 2012 - 08:48 AM.

#16 mental_hop

mental_hop

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:24 AM

Sounds like a great gun for $160. I'm amazed that Tippmann doesn't just bring in a few pro teams during the production of a gun like this. What about bringing in Mike as a consultant? "Hey Mike Phillips, this is Tippmann, we would like to fly you to Nowhere-Land Indiana and bring you in for a week to help give us ideas on developing a paintball gun for the speedball market, oh and here's a ton of money we're going to throw at you. See you in two weeks". It just kind of seems like an article on Cracked.com from today about not having anybody you collaborate with to call you out on your terrible ideas.
White Roses for Warfare!

#17 Cookybiscuit

Cookybiscuit

Schadenfreude Fanatic

• Members
  • 15,640 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:36 AM

Sounds like a great gun for $160.

It's $430.

Accuracy test Posted Image

But other than that, nice run through of the gun. Interesting to see if this thing takes off, it doesn't really look like its that great a gun, but it has the Tippmann name on it.

Awarded: " the biggest dumbass on this forum" 2012

#18 XGC_Cheevo

XGC_Cheevo

Pod Scalping You

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:29 PM

As soon as we talked about doing a review I knew, Cooky, you would have a fit. Obviously it wasn't a very professional job on the accuracy test but we didn't really care about the accuracy. It was more about the gun and it's features. Those features happened to include a very cheap barrel which we thought we'd test. If we had a vice we would have used one but due to time and camera constraints we didn't bother to use one. I still think it will appeal to many players becuase of the name and it will undoubtedly have about 100 upgrades for it coming out in the following months.

#19 evan15549

evan15549

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:47 PM

Milsim upgrade a speedball marker that's made by a company that is known for their Milsim. Wait what?

#20 BigDaddyJob

BigDaddyJob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:50 PM

Unfortunately, we do not have a lot of funds or time to set up proper testing for an accuracy test. But I do feel that it accurately showed what this stock barrel will do with a person behind it shooting at an average paintball range.
I do think that with some fine tuning, and a few aftermarket accessories, this platform will be a smooth shooter. Unfortunately, I think that the crossover may be "over-selling" itself as a centerfeed phenom (Exactly what we've asked for). The crossover does bring a slightly different Drive-train to the table and as shown in the efficiency test, it has picked up a couple pods from the Phenom which is nice. I think that given Tippmann's reputation, and the potential of this marker, they will be able to create something that is one of the top competitors in its price range.

Edited by BigDaddyJob, 11 May 2012 - 02:51 PM.

#21 cybermaniac15

cybermaniac15

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,450 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:40 AM

Nice right up. :tup:
I'm sure a bunch of bolt and spring upgrades are on the way. Did you guys try messing with the dwell at all?

#22 sameagol26

sameagol26

I am BTDeltafan101

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:58 AM

When Tippmann makes some refinements on this, I will buy it because I actually like the look of it... Not bad for their first real step into the speedball market.
Posted Image
My Youtube Channel --> BTDeltafan101

#23 XGC_Cheevo

XGC_Cheevo

Pod Scalping You

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:54 AM

W

Nice right up. :tup:
I'm sure a bunch of bolt and spring upgrades are on the way. Did you guys try messing with the dwell at all?

We didn't have a chance to test the dwell.

#24 BigDaddyJob

BigDaddyJob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:57 PM

The manual expressly says not to play with the dwell. Therefore, we will be playing with it in a n attempt to smooth this thing out. :-)

#25 Hitman2513

Hitman2513

Save a Rock Throw a Mini

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,526 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:50 PM

All accuracy and range is the same dude. Of course it will be a good seller because all the tippy kids will suddenly feel urge to buy the most reliable gun in paintball.
Posted Image

#26 mental_hop

mental_hop

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:12 PM

It's $430.

I know, I was saying that's probably what it's really worth. Maybe it is a higher quality marker than just $160 but it just seems to be overpriced at $430.
White Roses for Warfare!

#27 Cookybiscuit

Cookybiscuit

Schadenfreude Fanatic

• Members
  • 15,640 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:19 PM

It's $430.

I know, I was saying that's probably what it's really worth. Maybe it is a higher quality marker than just $160 but it just seems to be overpriced at $430.

Ya I have to agree, take the Tippmann name off and most people would be mad to pay more than $250 for it.

Awarded: " the biggest dumbass on this forum" 2012

#28 Myrkul

Myrkul

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:06 PM

Well, I finally got around to checking out the phenom the other day.....and I was very disappointed in the quality. It certainly shot fine, it just seemed cheap. I'm not at all surprised by the review of this marker. It's just kind of meh....

Edited by Myrkul, 13 May 2012 - 02:07 PM.

"I only drink the blood of my enemies! oh, and occasionally one of those strawberry Slurpee thingies"

#29 SublimeDPG4

SublimeDPG4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:34 PM

I'd much rather have an Etha for $400.

#30 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,115 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:39 PM

a range of 13 fps is actually pretty good, or do you mean +/- 13? thats not amazing, but not terrible.
The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

And yes, Gordon is the sexiest manifestation of "to the front."

#31 Hitman2513

Hitman2513

Save a Rock Throw a Mini

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,526 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:46 PM

I'd much rather have an Etha for $400.

The Etha is a budget low end and this is a mid level gun therefore they weren't made to be compared
Posted Image

#32 XGC_Cheevo

XGC_Cheevo

Pod Scalping You

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:27 PM

a range of 13 fps is actually pretty good, or do you mean +/- 13? thats not amazing, but not terrible.

It is indeed +/- 13 unfortunately. I agree though that that's not all that terrible for an out of the box marker from Tippmann. We are going to try and smooth this marker out before Living Legends and will have it at CPX also. Although I have no doubt that Tippmann will probably release this marker at NPPL/LLV.

#33 Demon

Demon

Master Tech

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:49 PM

the marker is being released in 2 days. so yes it will be available at LL5.maybe the bouncing issues you were having with the trigger may have been due to a lemon? have you contacted tippmann regarding any of the issues to see what they have to say about it?

Mad Cow Paintball referee and tech
UNL Husker Paintball
"Let's play a game of go fuck yourself, you first..."

My Feedback

#34 barby

barby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:58 AM

Great write-up BDJ....very well written/opinionated. I'm getting back into PB after a 8 yr rest. Need new marker and have been waiting release of crossover. Your review raises my eyebrow, however, since it doesn't sound worth the $400+ they're asking. I like the way the marker looks and think the quick-switch from mech to elec is perfect for my style. What would you buy if you had +/- $400 to spend on a marker, knowing the man/elec switch is an important feature?

Anyone else feel free to comment as well. Thanks!

#35 Russian Legion Fan

Russian Legion Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:30 PM

Great write-up BDJ....very well written/opinionated. I'm getting back into PB after a 8 yr rest. Need new marker and have been waiting release of crossover. Your review raises my eyebrow, however, since it doesn't sound worth the $400+ they're asking. I like the way the marker looks and think the quick-switch from mech to elec is perfect for my style. What would you buy if you had +/- $400 to spend on a marker, knowing the man/elec switch is an important feature?

Anyone else feel free to comment as well. Thanks!

There really isn't much out there as far as manual/electric switches besides the crossover. If you had get the crossover you could, but after reading this review there seem to be better ways to go. As far as new, you could get a GOG Extcy or Proto Rail (both of which offer the same if not all around better features than the Crossover) for the electro, and then a cheap mech such as an Azodin Kaos for around $340. This would get you a well preforming electro and mech gun, all you would have to do is switch the hopper and tank over. As for myself, I would go with what I listed above, and put the $90 saved from the crossover on a carbon fiber tank. Another word of advice is to get a high quality hopper, such as a Prophecy, Rotor, or Pinokio first instead of buying a budget hopper (Invert Too, Fasta, Eggy, etc.). After owning the budget hopper for a while you would want something better and lighter, and then the money spent on the budget hopper would be wasted.

#36 Cobra_Joker

Cobra_Joker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 05:52 AM

This is a good review.

We have had the crossovers for a couple months. We had early versions for evauation. We got to put the markers to the test in actual game conditions with Scenario play. We put up a quick film on YouTube with over 30k hits. I think that is the current number. We did a second review with our initial production run Crossovers. We shot a lot of video, but wanted to refine the production before posting. That should be up in a couple weeks.

The issues you had with the trigger sounds like something went wrong. Did you try to adjust it? Have you checked to see if the trigger magnet is too close to the hall sensor? What did Tippmann support say when you called them about the trigger? The triggers on our Crossovers did not have any trouble. No sideways movement, etc. The feel was very positive. Each of the modes we programmed performed as expected without issue. I understand there is a spring adjustment(removal) that can make the trigger easier to pull. I haven't done that yet to see how that works. Do so at your own risk if you want to play with it.

The programming has an additional pull to get into programming mode. When you first enter into programming mode, it displays the current ROF mode. You have to trigger pull to get into programming mode from the ROF status indicators. The things you need to know about programming is that your extended trigger pull is 1.5 - 2 seconds and you should know what you want to do before you begin. If you know the sequence of events for your desired programming mode, it should only take max 30 seconds to program your ROF mode.

Our team used the Crossovers at LL5 in Chicago - 05/18-20/2012. They got a lot of use. We were the Rippers at LL5. The rippers as a third faction were 40 against 1200+. Needless to say we shot a lot of paint. We shot EVIL through these markers all weekend long. I personally shot 2 cases with only 2 paint breaks. That was due to the paint I believe. A lot of folks were having trouble with the Evil. The Crossover shot the paint very well.

I used a Guerrilla 88 with a G2 Myth regulator and a Roto hopper with the Crossover. I only filled the tank 3 times for the whole weekend. The tank had to be drained at half full for the flight home. I had pretty good air efficiency. Chrono'ing I only saw a difference of +/-8fps. It was pretty consistent.

Additionally, we will be doing some testing of barrels for the Crossover too. I have spoken with barrel manufacturers and we are going to do some testing with Furious, Hammerhead and stock barrels. We will also be putting the TECHT iFit in the mix too.

Thanks for the review. It was very detailed. Call Tippmann to see what the trigger issue is. If you have to send it in, All Tippmann markers come with a 2 year warranty. You will not find a better manufacturer of paintball equipment better than Tippmann in regards to service. They stand behind their products 100%. I have seen them repair markers and replace integral parts at games for no charge on markers that were clearly out of warranty.

We shoot Tippmann exclusively as a team. Before that, I shot AC's Shockers and some pumps since the 80's. The Crossover is a nice addition to our marker arsenal.

#37 AXEMURDERER

AXEMURDERER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:32 AM

Overpriced. Get that price point down to around $300.

#38 XGC_Cheevo

XGC_Cheevo

Pod Scalping You

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 05:42 PM

This is a good review.

We have had the crossovers for a couple months. We had early versions for evauation. We got to put the markers to the test in actual game conditions with Scenario play. We put up a quick film on YouTube with over 30k hits. I think that is the current number. We did a second review with our initial production run Crossovers. We shot a lot of video, but wanted to refine the production before posting. That should be up in a couple weeks.

The issues you had with the trigger sounds like something went wrong. Did you try to adjust it? Have you checked to see if the trigger magnet is too close to the hall sensor? What did Tippmann support say when you called them about the trigger? The triggers on our Crossovers did not have any trouble. No sideways movement, etc. The feel was very positive. Each of the modes we programmed performed as expected without issue. I understand there is a spring adjustment(removal) that can make the trigger easier to pull. I haven't done that yet to see how that works. Do so at your own risk if you want to play with it.

The programming has an additional pull to get into programming mode. When you first enter into programming mode, it displays the current ROF mode. You have to trigger pull to get into programming mode from the ROF status indicators. The things you need to know about programming is that your extended trigger pull is 1.5 - 2 seconds and you should know what you want to do before you begin. If you know the sequence of events for your desired programming mode, it should only take max 30 seconds to program your ROF mode.

Our team used the Crossovers at LL5 in Chicago - 05/18-20/2012. They got a lot of use. We were the Rippers at LL5. The rippers as a third faction were 40 against 1200+. Needless to say we shot a lot of paint. We shot EVIL through these markers all weekend long. I personally shot 2 cases with only 2 paint breaks. That was due to the paint I believe. A lot of folks were having trouble with the Evil. The Crossover shot the paint very well.

I used a Guerrilla 88 with a G2 Myth regulator and a Roto hopper with the Crossover. I only filled the tank 3 times for the whole weekend. The tank had to be drained at half full for the flight home. I had pretty good air efficiency. Chrono'ing I only saw a difference of +/-8fps. It was pretty consistent.

Additionally, we will be doing some testing of barrels for the Crossover too. I have spoken with barrel manufacturers and we are going to do some testing with Furious, Hammerhead and stock barrels. We will also be putting the TECHT iFit in the mix too.

Thanks for the review. It was very detailed. Call Tippmann to see what the trigger issue is. If you have to send it in, All Tippmann markers come with a 2 year warranty. You will not find a better manufacturer of paintball equipment better than Tippmann in regards to service. They stand behind their products 100%. I have seen them repair markers and replace integral parts at games for no charge on markers that were clearly out of warranty.

We shoot Tippmann exclusively as a team. Before that, I shot AC's Shockers and some pumps since the 80's. The Crossover is a nice addition to our marker arsenal.

As a follow up to this and a few questions we found out that the Crossovers which were leaked ahead of schedule, including the one that we reviewed, were missing some changed programming on the board. This more than likely caused some of the issues we had. Tippmann has already contacted my friend who owns the marker and has offered to replace it free of charge. Yes, that's right, they contacted him. A testament to the customer service they have. We'll still be messing around with this marker in the coming months, but as a side note we did get a chance to mess with the dwell and it helped a little on the smoothness of the marker.

#39 ThunderLights

ThunderLights

Turbocharged Member

• Members
  • 9,202 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:35 PM

For all those who are disappointed with this marker. Think of it this way, its like the first gen mini. In other words, it sucks now, but it will get more refined and better in the later versions, that should be grantueed from tippmann. the first gen mini sucked, a lot. but look at it now, its quite a nice and reliable shooter now, for the price.

#40 Dolce

Dolce

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 04:24 PM

well as a captain of the GreatLakes Rangers we were blessed with testing these markers since last august. we ran different hoppers, used different barrels and had few if any breaks. the ones that did were from crap paint. last month we used two at emr spring castle conquest. these were perfect all weekend long. hammerhead barrels on both with halo and rotor hoppers. hey guess what no breaks. shot the hell out of the attackers. i used one at hellsurivors kids camp with high humidity and had no problems with balls breaking at all. as a long time woodsballer i would put these marker up against any other marker out there. we also havent had any trouble with the trigger at all. yes we did remove the spring to give it a faster pull. straight out of the box with the earlier versions we did not. the price is right for this marker being slightly higher than a phenom. the big sell on this is the fact if your battery goes dead in the middle of a match or battle with one flick of a switch your still playing. i havent seen any other speedball marker out there that can do this. also if you drop this in the mud or if its raining out your still going to be able to play. not so much for those other markers. no plastic bags needed. just my two cents

#41 AXEMURDERER

AXEMURDERER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:58 AM

Whose battery "goes dead" in the middle of play, honestly? I've never had this happen, neither has anyone I know.

#42 ThunderLights

ThunderLights

Turbocharged Member

• Members
  • 9,202 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:00 AM

^ all speedball guns are water resistant nowadays. idk what ur talking about.

#43 AXEMURDERER

AXEMURDERER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:13 AM

LOL obviously guns aren't water resistant, but that's not what was claimed.

A battery "going dead" because of water is going to cause bigger problems, like a fried board. Mech mode isn't gonna fix that. Plus if you're shooting all day in mech mode in the rain and then you go to switch to electro, you'll just fry the board completely if there's still water in there, so it's a moot point either way.

#44 XGC_Cheevo

XGC_Cheevo

Pod Scalping You

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:06 AM

I don't think the guy meant the battery going dead because of water. I think he just meant the battery slowing dying from continued use, which obviously happens to all electronic markers. The thing he's saying is nice is that if you notice the marker is acting funny, maybe from a battery getting low on voltage and the board acting up because of said battery, you can switch to mech until you get back to the staging area to drop in a new battery.

#45 AtomicAdrian

AtomicAdrian

The thread killer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:09 AM

Some are. I fell into a waist-deep pool of water by accident at a scenario game recently with my eXTCy; it was completely submerged. No problems whatsoever, just like the manual claimed.

I suck at paintball.
R.I.P BORG, ONE OF MY PAINTBALL HEROES.
B/S/T feedback: 11/0/0

#46 Demon

Demon

Master Tech

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:48 AM

A battery "going dead" because of water is going to cause bigger problems, like a fried board. Mech mode isn't gonna fix that. Plus if you're shooting all day in mech mode in the rain and then you go to switch to electro, you'll just fry the board completely if there's still water in there, so it's a moot point either way.

"mech mode won't fix electronics going down" dude are you even thinking about what this marker does? like seriously you just said the EXACT thing that it is designed for and just said "nope herp a derp tippmann lies"

also boards are alot tougher than you think they are, most problems are due to someone doing something mechanically wrong, water doesn't hurt boards too much anymore as most are water resistant/proof, and jack woods' boards are some of the best in that category, he literally submerged one in a creek for about 5 mins, worked fine. but i am not advising you to just go throw it into a lake. but all electronics in paintball have come a LONG way from where they were a few years ago and you still have the great tippmann CS anyways so who cares?

just because YOU think you won't use something doesn't mean it doesn't happen or someone else won't and if you have not seen a gun go down due to electronics then you have not been playing paintball very long at all. i have seen it numerous times.

also the mech mode allows you to have stupid battery life if you switch back and forth between them, which is another big reason behind it.

Edited by Demon, 30 May 2012 - 02:54 AM.

Mad Cow Paintball referee and tech
UNL Husker Paintball
"Let's play a game of go fuck yourself, you first..."

My Feedback

#47 Hitman2513

Hitman2513

Save a Rock Throw a Mini

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,526 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:53 PM

The PMR, Mini, Blitz, Electra, Axe, E Grip Tippmann, and a bunch of other guns are NOT water resistant at all.
Posted Image

#48 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:03 PM

The Axe is, I played with it in pouring rain for 4 hours straight, nothing happened to it. Rain comes down as purifies H2O. When you drop your phone in the sink and you drown it with water, the minerals in the water react to the electronics. Submerge your itouch in distilled water, then take it out, see if it still works.

Not the mini for some odd reason,my friend's board fried.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users