• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Hedgy22

Hedgy22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:00 PM

My friends and I have been working on our own personal field the past few weeks, but recently, as its been getting warmer here, the wood ticks have been coming out in force! We'll get 10 every hour or so, it's pretty difficult to actually play a game anymore. Any tips anybody has as far as exterminating them or maybe clothing tips to avoid skin contact or something. We don't know if there's any chemicals we can use, but we wanna be careful with that stuff as they use this land for deer hunting in the fall, and we wouldn't wanna harm any of the other wildlife here. Anywho, any advice is welcome. Thanks!

#2 Original Gangsta

Original Gangsta

My name is a lie.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,698 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:56 PM

Same here, in Westchester, there's tons of ticks that carry Lyme disease, it sucks.

I know that on my house's property, we get it sprayed with a natural repellant to help repel the ticks. Certain types of wood chips and stuff also repel ticks. There's numerous resources on the internet though.

Good luck!

I show up at a field that I never been to before for some rec-play wearing cargo pants with a t-shirt....carrying a old mech Spyder and two pringle potato chip cans for pods shoved in the pants pockets. The stares are priceless and after the first game or so you get to see the grins from the ref and players who know....priceless.

#3 XGC_Cheevo

XGC_Cheevo

Pod Scalping You

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:52 PM

Bug spray on all clothing below waist height and also your shoes. I also use spray with deet. I've never had tick problems w/ deet spray.

#4 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:08 PM

If the land your on is going to be used for deer hunting then you might as well spray the place for ticks. You've already contaminated the area with paintballs and just being there without scent control. Deer in the hunting areas around me wont come back for a long time if you are even slightly invasive.
Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#5 Jaccen

Jaccen

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:36 AM

Super long socks and tuck your pant legs into the socks. Wear high boots (ie. rubber boots). Minimize openings in clothing. Wear the spray. Have someone check you when you're done playing.

#6 Mzee

Mzee

Paintball Magnet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:14 AM

I used Sawyer Products Permethrin before Oklahoma D-Day. They make a clothing soak and a spray. I soaked my pb pants, socks, and shirt in the stuff. It lasts about 6 months, depends on washing. We didn't have any tick problems. Although my son did find one tick on him, but it was dead.

They also make a spray you can use. Check it out.

Read the label. Follow instructions.
Er du tokig? >B-D

#7 MMMerc

MMMerc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:32 AM

Found a tick on me today :angry: hate ticks.

Edited by MMMerc, 14 May 2012 - 10:32 AM.

#8 Chooie

Chooie

WCPCLAN.COM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:12 PM

I used Sawyer Products Permethrin before Oklahoma D-Day. They make a clothing soak and a spray. I soaked my pb pants, socks, and shirt in the stuff. It lasts about 6 months, depends on washing. We didn't have any tick problems. Although my son did find one tick on him, but it was dead.

They also make a spray you can use. Check it out.

Read the label. Follow instructions.

I'm going to have to pick some of this stuff up, because I'm a real tick magnet. I can walk from my front door to the car and find one crawling on my leg when I sit down.

#9 UV Halo

UV Halo

Bringing the Big Guns to LLVI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:38 PM

I'm in a ripe Deer Tick Area (Northern Virginia), and I like to crawl around a lot. So, this is what I do:

I cover most of my body with:
  • A full set of Underarmor Clothing (Heat Gear, moisture wicking), Treated with Permethrin (Sawyer brand):
  • Compression Pants (Tights)

• Compression Long Sleeve Shirt
  • Skull Cap

• Ultramax Moisture Wicking Boot Socks, Treated with Permethrin
  • Mechanix Gloves, Treated with permethrin

This leaves my neck, face, and ears which, I treat with DEET. The challenge with DEET is that you don't want to apply it anywhere where you have rubbing. There's a good chance you'll get some serious irritation.

I've been doing this for over four years and have not found a tick on me yet.

#10 spqr-king

spqr-king

Lead the way, all the way!

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:43 PM

Tuck pants in boots.
Keep ticks that you pull out of your skin for tests.
Wear long clothing.
You will get them on you anyway so have someone (spouse or parent) to check your body for them because 90% of the time you will not feel the initial bite!

Check us out at Retribution Sports!

#11 PaintballinStL

PaintballinStL

C.Owens

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:49 PM

The ticks are really bad here in Illinois picked up a couple at the last scenario event I was at. And one in my front yard cleanning my car. My best tips for beating the ticks in the woods is tuck your pants in your boots if you have combat boots and spary the boots with lye, ticks cant stand lye for some reason, and it comes in a can. I would not however spray your pants or shirt with it. Might cause some skin irritation. For your pants and shirt spray it with some deat or Off! Sweating will only make the off run and your better off pre spraying yout clothes before game time.

#12 Chooie

Chooie

WCPCLAN.COM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:34 PM

I picked one up the other day while standing on my (concrete) carport at my grill. I didn't find it until the next morning... the little bastard got me right behind the knee in the fleshy bit. It's sooooo itchy ><

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users