• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 paintballguy2255

paintballguy2255

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:46 PM

I just wanted to share a bit of info that a fair amount of people seem to realize but alot of people seem to do. When you are excersizing to lose weight,DO NOT DRINK GATORADE!Gatorade was designed to help fuel people during energy-using situations.That is why it is filled with carbs.When you are excersizing,you are trying to use your own body fat to fuel you,not an energy drink.Just wanted to tell people who did not realize this.

#2 MidgetKickerx11

MidgetKickerx11

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:13 PM

more so it is packed with sodium which will make your body retain a lot of water.

#3 mikehuff24

mikehuff24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:08 AM

I just wanted to share a bit of info that a fair amount of people seem to realize but alot of people seem to do. When you are excersizing to lose weight,DO NOT DRINK GATORADE!Gatorade was designed to help fuel people during energy-using situations.That is why it is filled with carbs.When you are excersizing,you are trying to use your own body fat to fuel you,not an energy drink.Just wanted to tell people who did not realize this.

Also when steering clear of gatorade make sure your not excersizing in to much heat because when your sweating your also losing electrolites which gatorade replenishes, i cant tell you how many people ive seen passout overseas because all they drink is water, water is great dont get me wrong but its also not the only thing you need when losing high amounts of liquid

#4 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:32 PM

electrolytes = salt

If you take water, put some salt in it, you've added "electrolytes"

Gatorade is designed also to be diluted with water 50/50. Also, I wouldn't consider drinking gatorade for anything less than 1 hour of strenuous exercise. Playing paintball is hardly strenuous exercise btw. Maybe after 20 points of XBall, I'd think about possibly taking a sip of Gatorade, but anything before is just a waste.

Gatorade was designed for activities far more strenuous than paintball, for athletes in far better shape than those that play paintball on a recreational basis.

If you burn 200 calories in an afternoon of playing paintball, you'll smoke that workout with one container of gatorade easily.

Low blood sugar = fat loss

spiked blood sugar (gatorade) = fat gain

If you don't already look like this-

Posted Image

While doing this-

Posted Image

Don't be injecting tons of useless calories in your body drinking this-

Posted Image

Dragon Tozan brought Gatorade to LL5, I 50/50'd some Gatorade with water, it was the first time I've drank it in probably 10 years

#5 Original Gangsta

Original Gangsta

My name is a lie.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,698 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:30 PM

Personally, I drink gatorade when I run or swim (I swim competitively). During practices, drinking water will make me cramp up fast as hell. I don't have that problem with Gatorade. When doing anything else though, I chug the water.

I show up at a field that I never been to before for some rec-play wearing cargo pants with a t-shirt....carrying a old mech Spyder and two pringle potato chip cans for pods shoved in the pants pockets. The stares are priceless and after the first game or so you get to see the grins from the ref and players who know....priceless.

#6 sebmathguy

sebmathguy

This is... This is RACIST!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:28 PM

electrolytes = salt

While it is certainly true that NaCl is an ionic compound, putting table salt in water only gives you Na+ and Cl- ions, you also need K+, Ca2+, Mg2+, HPO42-, and some others that I don't remember right now. To be fair, Na+ is certainly the most important, but to say that you can satiate your need for electrolytes by drinking salt water is completely false.
This is a signature

#7 mikehuff24

mikehuff24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:14 AM

Drinking salt water alone is a terrible solution to hydrating, the salt in the water will actually dehydrate you further, this is why people at sea used to often die of dehydration. Besides the obvious fact that no one wnts to drink salty water in the first place, im not saying that gatorade is the only option when considering electrolytes but sodum and chloride are not the only electrolytes needed for your body to operate optimally. The body also needs to intake potassium, bi carbonate, calcium, magnessium, sulfate, and also phosphate in order for major cells ( heart, nerves, and muscles) to keep a constant abillity to maintain electrical vloltage and impulses to the other cells, gatorade and other sports drinks ay also have a high sugar level in order to provide energy as well as to add flavor. I dont know about you but there will never be a day youd cathc me adding table salt to my water after or during a workout. If your working out to the point that you worried about losing to many elctrolytes ( which can cause lack of conciousness) then your not going to be worrying to much about the calories in your drinks. High amounts of cardio vascular activities mixed with escalated temperatures call for replenishing of electrolytes to keep your body at a constant high performance.

#8 jdatkinsn

jdatkinsn

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:06 PM

electrolytes = salt

Gatorade is designed also to be diluted with water 50/50. Also, I wouldn't consider drinking gatorade for anything less than 1 hour of strenuous exercise. Playing paintball is hardly strenuous exercise btw. Maybe after 20 points of XBall, I'd think about possibly taking a sip of Gatorade, but anything before is just a waste.

Gatorade was designed for activities far more strenuous than paintball, for athletes in far better shape than those that play paintball on a recreational basis.

If you burn 200 calories in an afternoon of playing paintball, you'll smoke that workout with one container of gatorade easily.

Low blood sugar = fat loss

spiked blood sugar (gatorade) = fat gain

If you don't already look like this-

Posted Image

While doing this-

Posted Image

Don't be injecting tons of useless calories in your body drinking this-

Posted Image

Dragon Tozan brought Gatorade to LL5, I 50/50'd some Gatorade with water, it was the first time I've drank it in probably 10 years

First, the term "electrolytes" encompasses more than just sodium- there's also potassium, chloride, calcium and magnesium. Understanding the relationship between them, especially the sodium-potassium pump, is important in understanding hydration.

Second, low blood sugar does not equal fat loss, but I get what you're getting at. Low blood sugar is clinically referred to as hypoglycemia and is not a state you want to spend too much time in. Being hypoglycemic starves your brain of glucose, and if you aren't able to free up liver glycogen or create more glucose via gluconeogenesis (the process by which protein is converted into glucose), then you will die.

What I think you're trying to say is that low insulin allows fat loss, and in that you're correct. Stable, homeostatic blood sugar levels (i.e. healthy "fasting" numbers) don't require any endogenous insulin production, so triglycerides can flow freely out of fat cells to be utilized as energy. If you're constantly spiking your blood sugar with drinks like Gatorade, you're also flooding your body with insulin to manage the glycemic surge. Insulin inhibits lypolisis.

Right path though, Mike! Glad to see you've gotten more interested in nutritional science! You're in the right place, belief wise!

Edited by jdatkinsn, 21 June 2012 - 06:07 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users