#1 Jaccen

Jaccen

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:44 AM

I didn't see a post, so here we go.

Smartguide is designed for HALO, RELOADER B1 & B2 , MAGNA , HALO TOO. It is a loader upgrade. You just exchange orginal rotor assembly to Smartguide.

Smart Guide is designed primarily to provide a cheap alternative and still upgrade your loader to be one of the best all-round loader in the market.

Main benefit is considerably longer battery life, inbuilt anti jam function. With Smartguide TL (new drive shaft) itīs a Tool Less assembly.

The Smartguide is extremely easy on paint and reduces your chance of breaking paint. No electronic sensors needed to detect a jam. This new technology has both antijam function and limited pressure on the balls embedded in the same solution. This also protect the paintballs from being deformed when they push against each other.

Smartguide description | Xeon Paintball AB

Youtube channel:
xeonpb - YouTube

Thoughts on it? Looks like it's almost a spinning freeway with clutch technology like the Magna.

"xeonpb" has some threads on it over at 'nation.

#2 chad44

chad44

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:15 AM

First... looks cool to me.

#3 tripp

tripp

Proudly Sponsored by ANSGear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:31 AM

its been up here before(or on Pbnation)
i know ive seen it lol
]but still a cool design

i see it being VERY good for reballs, but due to how much it popcorns, not good for tournament paint at all
Sponsored By: ANSGear, Valken Paintball Southern Maryland Paintball
Posted Image
Bob Long 2k4 alias + freak + halo too

#4 Jaccen

Jaccen

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:44 PM

Well it took a while for my internals to show up but they eventually did. They worked well and I had consistent feeding the whole event at LL5. I had the internals set to the softer paint settings and I didn't have any loader breaks or barrel breaks the whole game.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?p=75619189#post75619189

Well the Evil paint was very brittle this weekend so I actually traded my Evil paint in for Marbalizer, since I was shooting my Evil-M and was having barrel breaks in the chrono. Depending how you have the arms set you can have if I remember correctly faster unjam and softer on paint or faster loading and less torque on the unjam. I can't say much for the unjam capabilities as my cheetah board would try to unjam if there is one. I don't think these internals are best for a cheetah board since they try and automatic unjam. I had to have my board set to no automatic unjam but the loader didn't skip a beat at 13bps. Really I was happy that my gun or loader didn't go down the whole event. The plan right now is to sell my Cheetah board and buy a magna board for the RF capabilities.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?p=75619417#post75619417

Seemed to work well at LL for this guy.

It doesn't seem like it popcorns all that bad with actual paint as per this vid:

Too bad there's no SmartGuide slow-mo on actual paint yet. Or that he didn't empty the hopper on this reball one:

You can compare to what many consider the best anti-popcorn, anti-jam Halo device, the magna clutch with Freeway, here:

But even Mike showed that it's still not perfect in his test. It reball jammed. Granted, it's not a large sample set at all, but he still got a jam.

Though, it's funny he didn't get a jam without the Freeway:

It must have popcorned enough to prevent a jam?

Dunno, I still think it looks pretty good. According to him, he helped design the Rotor for Dye. If that's true, he at least has some "street cred."

My first intuition was to upgrade Rotor loader since that was my first invention I sold to Dye. Even if you are upgrading an existing product, there may be problems with the patent and it might be a possible patent infringement, we opted not to complete the Rotor upgrade.

We have released the Smartguide to show that the new invention makes a big difference compared to the old design.

And we also off cource hope there is a lot of people that find this product interesting.

Or shops that have a couple off loaders they want to upgrade with Smartguide to make the loader easier to sell.

This is in my opinion:
I do agree that the Halos have been around for a long time but they do the work and with Smartguide TL they is as good or even better than the newest loaders on some points. So for pure function you don´t need to buy a new loader. And if you have a new loader you may need a perfect backup loader as well.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?p=75469163#post75469163

Edited by Jaccen, 23 May 2012 - 12:49 PM.

#5 karolinen

karolinen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:46 PM

have tryed it this winter on my reloader b2 with reball dident work, did try it on a second b2 still no go, maby better with paint

#6 Jaccen

Jaccen

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:51 PM

Could you elaborate on what did not work? I am interested in the experiences of people who have actually used it. Cheers.

#7 Jaccen

Jaccen

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:44 PM

First off, xeonpb has some really great customer service. I got this response back from him:

The product Smartguide is designed so you donīt need any electronics which control torque (Feed stack/Ball stack monitoring) or anti jam.

Smartguide have this inbuilt and that is the new invention. A system that only transfer a limited torque before it reverse the drive cone and then push again. By doing this you save battery, circuit board, motor because the ampere never get high.

(ampere = torque = how hard the drive cone push)

The system is also way faster than other hoppers with electronic unjam as their electronics must detect a jam and than reverse the motor, stop the motor and than push again.

With Smartguide the motor never stops as long you is shooting. The motor always rotate in the same direction. And the drive cone anti jam three times on each turn the drive shaft rotate if there is a jam or the ball stack is full.

About circuit board. To me it looks like you know more about different systems. But you donīt need RF or any board with anti jam system. A board with speed settings (1-6) and sound setting (1-6) is best. Ball stack monitoring is not importent but on the other hand itīs not wrong to have.

For Canucks, he said that paintballgear.ca will be getting them.

From his description, it's almost like it's the hopper equivalent of a Level 10 bolt (ie. a mechanical jam detection that backs off to prevent a break). I might be a bit liberal with that comparison, but it's what it reminds me of.

It also seems similar to the Magna (ie. it only applies a set amount of torque). The difference seems to be while the Magna would "slip" by, this bounces back in an attempt to unjam. Very cool.

Which "gear" did you use, karolinen? The "firm" or "soft" one?

#8 karolinen

karolinen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:43 PM

i just a b2 new batteri the problem was that the reballs got stuckin the gap that the balls are to fall in to but that mite be the reballs fault gos they are juste alotī, dident see if it say hard or soft soo it couldent unjam it self either hade to unload the loader and stick my finger in to remove the reballs from the gap, iknow that the store did send a pic to the manufaturer about this, soo all iam saying is my experiens with reball arent good but mite work great with paint,

#9 Jaccen

Jaccen

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:35 PM

Might as well post up some of the vids showing off the thing:

#10 Jaccen

Jaccen

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:24 PM

Pretty cool brittle paint demo:

Edited by Jaccen, 07 June 2012 - 09:29 PM.

#11 bronc

bronc

ThinAir Sports

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:29 AM

I play at MASH, and I've seen tens of thousands of reballs shot with these things. They work, especially compared to how the hoppers worked before with reballs. Ugh...

Prophecy + reballs = suck
Rotor + reballs = suck

(PS. yep he designed the dye rotor - heh who would have guess Sweden had something other then hot blondes?)
Thin Air Sports - 2011 will be our year.

BroncsPaintball.com - speaking my mind since 2000

#12 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks :(

• Chat Coordinator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,835 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:59 PM

Not bad, I might have to pick up a couple of these.

RebelSignaturejedicode-1.jpg
Hybrid SFT • 09 Impulse • HB REV-i • Macroless Mech Ion
Rotor • Grillz • PE 70/45 • Feedback - 23/0/0

Fear is the mind-killer

#13 Jaccen

Jaccen

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:21 PM

Didn't really know where to put this so I'll just add it here. Mods, feel free to move.

I recently acquired a Smartguide from xeonpb and used it at Canadian Carnage. I thought I'd share my thoughts on it.

Background Information:

http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=194030

I have just about the worst loader luck. It doesn't matter what loader it is, it will always jam on me. While my loader list isn't nearly as impressive as some people here, these are the ones that I've used:

-Quantum (garbage all around)
-VL Force (barely tolerable)
-VL Evlution II (liked it so much I bought two)
-Halo V35 (really liked)
-Magna (liked it so much I bought two)

Not an extensive list, but I've managed to get a jam in all of them at one point or another.

I had recently started a couple threads asking about hoppers.

http://www.mcarterbr...ice-wanted.html

I had wanted a hopper that met the following criteria:

-auto unjam
-reliable
-quick
-cheap
-ideally, a drop-in replacement part for one of my Magna's

I could have bought a used Prophecy v1 or v2, but it didn't have the auto unjam. It has the magnetic clutch similar to the Magna....which I already had. Thus, I didn't see much point in getting one for my personal needs. I already had a V35 and, while it was a great loader, I had to do the initial pot setup to read dark paint, its unjam sequence never seemed to work, and whenever it jammed I always had to rip crank and then cycle the marker. None of those on its own was a big deal, but add them all together and I felt I could maybe do better. My Magna's have always worked well, but I even managed to jam them (ie. 2 balls stuck together in one "slot" under the Freeway). Both of them worked well enough, but I wanted to see what else was out there. I thought my only options were Virtue or Cheetah boards. Or just shell out the big bucks for a Z2.

xeonpb contacted me after I made that board replacement thread. He said I was probably doing way too much research when there already was a product that did exactly what I wanted. I was, initially, a little bit wary. However, he sent me a vid link and I went snooping. TheePsycho had said that he used one at Living Legends 5. He had a Cheetah board, he turned off all its features, and just let the Smartguide do its thing. It worked great for him. Digging further, I found out that xeonpb was the man who invented the Rotor design. That, combined with TheePsycho's review, made me say, "Eh, why not?"

"Take my money!"

Ordering Process:

I ordered my piece from xeonpb's website:

xeonp b

The prices listed include European VAT so North American prices will be adjusted for those of us on this continent. He would prefer, however, that you first ask for it at your local shop. He'd like to get North American awareness of his product higher so if you are interested, ask about it at your local paintball shop or favourite website. Last I heard, paintballgear.ca might start to carry it. Everything was easy and xeonpb was extremely helpful.

The only SNAFU that occured was outside of xeonpb's control. There was a break-in at xeonpb's driveshaft manufacturer so my order was a bit delayed. He rushed getting a new driveshaft made and shipped it out as soon as he could. I, literally, got the package a couple days before Canadian Carnage. Mad props to him for coming through.

Hardware Overview:

TheePsycho's revision, from what I understand, would be what I call Version 1. The top and bottom of the driveshaft were held together with a screw. If you look at xeonpb's assembly video on his Youtube channel, you can see what this version looks like. My revision would what I call Version 2. I can be seen in this video. The more mind-blowing video would be this one. Tool-less cleaning for a Halo? Awesome. xeonpb calls this revision the "Smarguide TL" or "Smartguide Tool-less" edition.

I put mine together at about midnight, Friday night, before the big game Saturday. I was pretty much done by the end of Saturday because of this :lol: As you can see from the pics, I basically put together the worst-case scenario to test the Smartguide.

-no tuning as I used the almost stock Magna settings (ie. setting 3 for motor speed and setting 3 for sound adjustment; however, I did turn off spring tension monitoring at xeonpb's suggestion as with Smartguide there is no longer a pre-tensioned spring)
-untested, brand new warrior shell
-hairline raceway cracked Magna
-motor was said to have a bunch of cases through it
-I solder together an electrical lead so that the battery connector could make it to the front
-this was all from a well-used Magna that I bought for parts/as a back up

It, basically, is probably equivalent to that ol' Halo you have kicking around. You can't bring yourself to get rid of it, but you keep it "just in case."

I noticed that the Smartguide also had fewer moving parts. It also got rid of rings snaps. I hate ring snaps. They work, but they're always a pain to deal with. All the Smartguide needed was the threaded top. It was simple enough that I manged to figure out how to put it together without an assembly video. The included instructions and the old assembly video were enough information that I figured out how it went together. Or so I thought.

The only way to find out was trial by fire. So I made it my main loader for the day at Canadian Carnage.

In Game Testing:

I used the Magna in a Halo shell on my 04 Viking (full specs can be listed on the Viking if requested). I used semi for Canadian Carnage simply because I'm not made out of money. I bought a bag for Friday's pump night and a case for Saturday's game. My Viking uses an 07 MacDev Militia board. It has these options in regards to eyes:

Flickering White - Eyed Mode
Setting 1 = delayed (if there is no ball in breach when the trigger is pulled, the software will wait 1/2 sec and fire)
Setting 2 = forced (trigger can be held to force a shot)
Setting 3 = test mode with full dwell
Setting 4 = test mode with adjusted dwell (test mode dwell setting)

Setting 2 is the default and it's the one I routinely use. Why? It lets me know when there's a loader jam.

Loader Jam Chain of Events
-Viking fires (clear Dye sticky grips show green LED)
-Viking stops firing (clear Dye sticky grips show red LED)

Traditionally, I would do the following:

V35
-crank Rip drive backwards
-power cycle the unit
-force shot
-check Dye sticky grips LED colour

Magna
-crank the Rip drive backwards
-push the power button once to spin the cone and load a round
-force shot
-check Dye sticky grips LED colour

I was actually hoping the Smartguide would jam.

Hear me out.

Every loader will eventually jam. I don't care how much you pay for it and what Greek god forged it--it will jam. At least, that's been the case in my experience.

In the horror that was Berlin at Canadian Carnage, I got my wish. Under heavy fire, my Viking was firing away at a seemingly unending hoarde of Red players. In the middle of a long string of finger taps, my Viking stopped shooting. I checked the Dye sticky grips and they were red. So, I know I have a loader jam. Rather than reach for the Rip drive, I thought I'd try the default method xeonpb recommends. I held the trigger for a second and forced a dry shot. I then checked the Dye grips again and they were green. I tapped the trigger again and it fired.

The Smartguide had automatically cleared the jam, loaded another round, and I was good to go. I went from fumbling around for a minute trying to get my setup play-worthy again like with my V35 to being ready to mow faces in seconds with the Smartguide.

I would now consider setting my Viking to fire automatically upon a trigger pull. The Smartguide really does what it's supposed to. It's been the best unjam sequence I've ever had happen. I was highly impressed.

Pictures:

Please see them all here at this album.

https://picasaweb.go...ccen/Smartguide

Conclusion:

So what do I think of the Smartguide? I firmly believe it is the best functional upgrade you can apply to any Halo based loader. That includes the following:

-V35
-Magna
-Reloader B/B2
-Too
-any other Halo that uses the "standard" spring-tensioned cone and raceway

It provides these benefits:
-exceptional automatic unjam
-lower power consumption
-one of the best reball loaders on the market
-can be set for brittle tourney paint, rec paint, or reballs by simply flipping the discs or just changing loader speed (I would recommend fast bottom, slow top, and then just mess with your loader speeds. 3 worked great for paint. I'd probably up it for reballs)
-easy, tool-less cleaning
-no need for additional complicated programming....it just works
-a bang-for-buck not commonly found in the paintball world
-excellent customer service
-xeonpb is always striving to improve his product (ie. rev 1, rev 2, etc.)
-it gives new life to an old backup loader
-functionally, it may be one of the best loaders on the market

Improvements? Not really anything I can think of within xeonpb's control. The only thing I wish is that there was an option so that it would come bundled with a loader from the factory. An Invert Too or Reloader B2 with a Smartguide TL instead of a cone would be the best bang-for-buck loader on the market. I hope xeonpb can work out some sort of deal with Empire. Or, a really cool idea that will likely never happen, is if he could sell a kit that you assemble yourself. If it was a kit that addressed some of the traditional Halo short-comings it would be the best loader on the market. Period. For everyone else, if you've got an old Halo kicking around this is probably the best thing you can do for it.

I was impressed enough with its performance that it's now become my main loader and I don't think I'll bother with any of the "super loaders." I'm not on a pro team, but I still like having good equipment. However, I don't have an unlimited budget. I doubt you do either. Smartguide gives me the option to functionally upgrade my old Halo to keep up with the loaders of today while not breaking the bank.

I'm going to update this review throughout the summer with further tests (ie. high speed firing, reball, tourney paint, test with an Etha, etc.).

Cheers.

Edited by Jaccen, 02 July 2012 - 04:24 PM.

#14 Jaccen

Jaccen

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:19 PM

XeonPB was nice enough to send me his latest revision of the Smartguide TL.

New top driveshaft piece:

Posted Image

He had this to say about his testing of rev. 3:

By adding a soft arm on the drive shaft to clear balls between the shell and the top rotor and also push balls / reballs around adds a lot of benefits.

This was a ridiculously easy upgrade. No disassembly of the loader shell. I held the Ripdrive wheel, reached my hand in through the speedfeed, unscrewed the ver. 2 top drive shaft, and pulled it out. Grabbing the ver. 3 top drive shaft, I reached in and screwed it in. Done.

I used the same settings I had before only this time I was playing rec ball with my Pneumag. I used 1/2 a bag of over 1 year old paint I had laying around just to really stress it. Not a problem. After that, I went through 1/2 a case of Empire RPS Heat. No problems again.

I got quite a few questions on it--some of which were a bit of a mouthful to answer.

"What loader is that?"

"Well, it's a Warrior Halo shell with Magna internals running a Smartguide ver. 3 rotor."

"......sorry?"

So, yeah, I'm still really happy with it.

A few things going forward:

-I will be running some speed tests with it (ie. full auto with my Viking)
-I will be giving my Smartguide to my friend so he can run it on his Etha
-I recently bought a Prophecy ver. 1 so I have a benchmark to compare the Smartguide to
-I'll hit up one of the local fields for some reball action
-if Mike gives me an address, I can send him the update for his review

I'll continue to update this review with the tests I have going forward.

Cheers.

#15 Infidel

Infidel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:58 PM

I just got my v3 in the mail (purchased from Xeonpb directly) and had to do a small amount of sanding on the raceway to get it to work properly, quite easy actually. Then read the directions so I knew which way to install the antijam pieces (apparently there is a right and wrong way.. Soft push vs hard push). Once installed I grabbed some reballs and test fired in my basement. I didnt experience any jams but I only use reballs for testing.

Now that I knew it was working correctly I drove to my field to play. After my first day I can confirm no broken paint on my first full case. I intend to keep using this and will let everyone know if I have any problems with the smartguide but is like getting a whole new hopper.

BTW the speed test on my Halo too was about 22BPS. I can make a video if anyone has questions or would like to see something not already demonstrated in previous videos.

In short, I can confirm everything the previous poster has said. Now if someone could please make a shell with a smaller profile!

Edited by Infidel, 04 September 2012 - 06:01 PM.

#16 Jaccen

Jaccen

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:51 PM

In short, I can confirm everything the previous poster has said. Now if someone could please make a shell with a smaller profile!

Agreed, a new shell is the only thing I wish was different. Other than that, I'm super happy with mine.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users