• PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:09 PM

The Key to quitting smoking.....

DONT START!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! x infinity

As of right now my options are....

1.prohibitively expensive nicotine patches

2.cold turkey

3.Chantix (blocks receptors in the brain.....sure i'm not using those right now. Ignore the fact that we know next to nothing about that organ :dodgy:) nvm that my insurance doesn't even cover it....preventative care FTL

It's obvious the most challenging way to quit is also the most effective in terms of cost and potential health problems....fuck

i feel as dumb as this guy
Posted Image

anything that worked for someone else i'll try...with reasonable exceptions (i.e. shitting on my pack of cigarettes :P after cleaning that up i'm gonna want a smoke)

naimadamian.png

#2 spisla

spisla

I made Mr. Rogers eat paint

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,192 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:12 PM

You say you don't want to shit on your cigarettes... What about shitting on all your lighters/matches?
Posted Image

If you see someone pulling that here hit the report button and I'll teabag them =)

NorthWest Ballers club. TechPB feedback

#3 redmule123

redmule123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:14 PM

If I where you I would limit yourself everyday. Until eventually the want goes away. Also they have a lot of free programs to help you quit smoking (google it for your area) anyways best of luck and I truly hope you succeed.

You say you don't want to shit on your cigarettes... What about shitting on all your lighters/matches?

Or this, this could work too

#4 DamianE

DamianE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:33 PM

Limiting is what i'm trying now

the biggest problems temptations happen:

1. when driving - oh dear god i live in Houston and drive all over the place

2. when drinking - goes w/o saying that drinking and smoking need to operate in tandem

drinking is the easiest one to fight....but driving....ugh

Oh and Splisa... i had you in mind when writing that clarification. the :P was secretly directed at you lol

Edited by DamianE, 31 May 2012 - 10:34 PM.

naimadamian.png

#5 spisla

spisla

I made Mr. Rogers eat paint

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,192 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:37 PM

Oh and Splisa... i had you in mind when writing that clarification. the :P was secretly directed at you lol

;)
Posted Image

If you see someone pulling that here hit the report button and I'll teabag them =)

NorthWest Ballers club. TechPB feedback

#6 LastChime

LastChime

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:48 PM

Electronic Cigarette worked for me, cept you don't really quit, just switch to something likely way less harmful and gross

#7 pb=life

pb=life

I like penguins

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,135 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:06 AM

cold turkey dem bitch ass cancer sticks

#8 Biscuit of Doom

Biscuit of Doom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:42 AM

+1 electronic cigs
If you mix your own liquid you can slowly lower the nicotine content while still satisfying the physical habit of smoking. Just make sure you read reviews and buy reliable models. There is a lot of garbage out there.

#9 Klub

Klub

i haz a pickle

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,857 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:08 PM

Those electronic cigs are pretty bad. My parents have been smoking since they were 13, and they can barely smoke those electronic ones.
Chantix works, my dad is on it right now, and he is down to maybe 1 a day and he has always been a smoker. It does give him a few weird dreams though, but not as bad as patches.

#10 spqr-king

spqr-king

Lead the way, all the way!

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:32 AM

Smoke cigars thats what I do I have no desire to smoke everyday because I treat it as something special... Thats being said if your trying to save $ this is not the way to do it...

Check us out at Retribution Sports!

#11 Latsabb

Latsabb

Your resident gun whore.

• Retired Staff
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:43 AM

I just want to put something out there. I see a lot of non-smokers, or people that havent quit, or smoked for a very short period, and then quit, saying that you just need to get over the hump, so that the urge goes away. If you can just stay away long enough, it is gone. It is BS. Ask any person that smoked a decent amount of cigarettes over a lengthy period, and they will tell you the same thing. The cravings will not be as strong, but you are stuck with it forever. I have never smoked, but my father, step father, step mother, mother in law, and wife all quit smoking. They all say the same thing. Every day, for the rest of your life, you will think about it. The cravings are weak enough that you can still hold yourself back, but they arent going away.

Why do I mention such a thing? Because too many people (my wife included) go into it thinking that if they can just hold out X amount of days, they are golden. You dont want that mindset. It is like dieting. You dont diet for a two weeks to lose some weight, and then go back to what you were eating before, and expect your body to hold stable. Diets are lifelong commitments. Same goes for smoking. My wife had quit for 6 years, and started again when her schooling got stressful. She quit again about 4 months ago, and she is still going batshit crazy from it. Even after several years of her being smoke free, she would feel the grip in her chest every time she watched a movie or a show with someone smoking. I remember her clearly mentioning it when watching Gandolf smoking in Lord of the Rings. Any closeup of someone drawing in would completely distract her.

With some willpower, and supportive people around you, you can make it. But know what you are going to, and enter with the right mindset. You cant sprint this off. You are in it for the long haul.
Oderint Dum Metuant

Posted Image

#12 DamianE

DamianE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:07 AM

My Mother quit when she was 32 (she is 58 now) and she still says she gets tempted when she sees me smoke. I'm perfectly aware of the long haul I've gotten my self into. The problem is supportive people.....I'm going to leave it at that before i end up pissing myself off even more than i already am.

this made my day less angry though:

Posted Image

naimadamian.png

#13 drexler

drexler

Nutrition is my Mission

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:02 PM

Just quit cold turkey, trust me. It sucks for 3 - 5 days then you totally in the clear.

I've known people to try the patches/wean themsevles. They're miserable fucks for like 2 months then they go back to smoking regularly again.

#14 Vaellis

Vaellis

Just call your boy and we'll get luxed together

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,326 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:37 PM

I just want to put something out there. I see a lot of non-smokers, or people that havent quit, or smoked for a very short period, and then quit, saying that you just need to get over the hump, so that the urge goes away. If you can just stay away long enough, it is gone. It is BS. Ask any person that smoked a decent amount of cigarettes over a lengthy period, and they will tell you the same thing. The cravings will not be as strong, but you are stuck with it forever. I have never smoked, but my father, step father, step mother, mother in law, and wife all quit smoking. They all say the same thing. Every day, for the rest of your life, you will think about it. The cravings are weak enough that you can still hold yourself back, but they arent going away.

Why do I mention such a thing? Because too many people (my wife included) go into it thinking that if they can just hold out X amount of days, they are golden. You dont want that mindset. It is like dieting. You dont diet for a two weeks to lose some weight, and then go back to what you were eating before, and expect your body to hold stable. Diets are lifelong commitments. Same goes for smoking. My wife had quit for 6 years, and started again when her schooling got stressful. She quit again about 4 months ago, and she is still going batshit crazy from it. Even after several years of her being smoke free, she would feel the grip in her chest every time she watched a movie or a show with someone smoking. I remember her clearly mentioning it when watching Gandolf smoking in Lord of the Rings. Any closeup of someone drawing in would completely distract her.

With some willpower, and supportive people around you, you can make it. But know what you are going to, and enter with the right mindset. You cant sprint this off. You are in it for the long haul.

Just quit cold turkey, trust me. It sucks for 3 - 5 days then you totally in the clear.

I've known people to try the patches/wean themsevles. They're miserable fucks for like 2 months then they go back to smoking regularly again.

Lol
I love when people can't pronounce my user name. ninja 50/45
Posted Image

#15 Username

Username

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:52 PM

Switch to cigars or pipes if you want to quit smoking, but not quit.

They aren't meant to be inhaled, and the tobacco is natural with none of the numerous chemicals they add to the cigarette tobacco (which is mainly burley tobacco :P)

I've been to several doctors for minor things and checkups and always ask "do I check the smoking box if I smoke pipes?" They always tell me that's not smoking. :P

Edited by Username, 03 June 2012 - 01:52 PM.

National Rifle Association
Posted Image

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
~ Thomas Jefferson

#16 TheNamesClay

TheNamesClay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:05 PM

electronic cigs are the way to go. of course your not quitting nicotine with "E-cigs" but you are kicking all of those nasty chemicals. i have been using ecigs for over a year now and wouldn't smoke an analog if you payed me.

#17 DrewaV

DrewaV

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:32 AM

why dont you just not buy them?

#18 LastChime

LastChime

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:46 AM

Primarily because it's an addiction, does as much good telling the drunk beggar outside of the liquor store to get a job and sober up.

Takes a lot of strength of character and force of will to stop.

#19 Baux18

Baux18

Screw you guys, I'm goin home.

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,301 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:41 AM

why dont you just not buy them?

lol what Posted Image
Posted Image

Well aware, he is a master of sarcasm, and I love me my Baux.

#20 PeanutWing

PeanutWing

Sleepy Baller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,026 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:46 PM

I'd say just quit

#21 DrewaV

DrewaV

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:06 AM

if you got into it, you better damn well know how to get out.

#22 DamianE

DamianE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:51 PM

DrewaV.... i was your age when i quit smoking for 5 years. I really cant stand ignorance and rudeness. Do your parents smoke heavily Drew? Did you end up picking up the habit at 13? Do you really know what you are talking about? Why are you being so rude if you are as ignorant about this subject as i think you are?

Oh and while driving I've taken to either screaming at other people, or blasting music and demonstrating to myself/others how badly i can sing. lol

going to bars is tough. i've always enjoyed sitting outside, but outside at a bar is temptation-land...so no more bars

Edited by DamianE, 07 June 2012 - 04:56 PM.

naimadamian.png

#23 DrewaV

DrewaV

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:00 PM

I know what im talking about when you hear on the TV everyday that smoking kills you, thus not trying it.

#24 etekgirl27

etekgirl27

Uber Member

• 13,945 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:48 PM

One of my co-workers was able to quit using an e-cig. He still uses it everyday out of the physical habit but at this point its just a flavored air, no more nicotine. If your looking for a good model pm me and I can ask him what he uses

My Feedback

Gearbag Sale

#25 TacticlTwinkie

TacticlTwinkie

*insert witty title*

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,974 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:03 PM

I'd say just quit

Hell of a lot easier said than done. The temptation never goes away. Addiction is a life long disease. Eventually it gets not so bad, but its always there. Thats why there are those patches and gum and such, to make it a little easier to get to the point where you can control the urges and stay on top of them.

#26 DarkSide

DarkSide

I want that Purple stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:49 AM

If you do want to look into E-cigs, then I recommend the V2 Cigs. I use them and they're pretty good.
"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

#27 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:06 PM

Try to replace cigarettes with something else. I hear chewing gum or suckers is a good way to keep yourself busy when you would normally smoke a cig.

Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#28 LastChime

LastChime

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:14 PM

One of my co-workers was able to quit using an e-cig. He still uses it everyday out of the physical habit but at this point its just a flavored air, no more nicotine. If your looking for a good model pm me and I can ask him what he uses

It also gives you the option of still getting nicotine and eventually cutting down or getting off of it entirely if you so desire. Still hazy/very little research on the health risks or benefits of straight up nicotine.

Oh and it's not flavored air, it's a mixture of propelene glycol, vegetable glycerine and food/candy flavorings. Possibly nicotine too but not likely in that case.

#29 DamianE

DamianE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:33 PM

1 week with no cigs!

my reward is a half day on friday, and a trip to see Prometheus opening weekend! woohoo!

Thanks for those of you who have tried to empathize, it has helped!

"I know what im talking about when you hear on the TV everyday that smoking kills you, thus not trying it. "

What a self righteous and inconsiderate post. I am not saying you know nothing about not starting... i am saying you know nothing about quitting. So quit belittling others and carry on with your problem free teenage existence that you have been so nice to share with us. I on the other hand am going to go see Prometheus....

Edited by DamianE, 08 June 2012 - 01:42 PM.

naimadamian.png

#30 DamianE

DamianE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:25 PM

It's coming up on a year now. Have i slipped during this time? yes. Have I resorted to using anything other than willpower? No. And for that I'm proud. I would still consider myself at risk, but I have also made it a long way from where I started. For instance, I was at a bar on new year's and smoked 2 cigarettes that night.....Boom, nicotine poisoning. They were american spirit black labels (a doozy of a cig) but it still served as further impetus to never start. And indeed I haven't smoked since then.

I tried E- smokes back when I first quit. They didn't do it for me, as I guess I crave the combustion as well as all the other "goodies" you get when you inhale smoke. Thanks for the support, and thanks for not taking my cranky posts too seriously drew. After all I am far more irritable these days.

Time to continue the battle!

naimadamian.png

#31 bassfisher

bassfisher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:15 PM

w00t w00t keep it up homie.
Carolina Riot Scenario Team

#32 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,312 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:38 PM

Posted Image

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

#33 Old Dude PB

Old Dude PB

Safety third.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:34 PM

Congratulations, sir. Stay strong. Dunno if you're the studious type, but there's a book called "The Power of Habit," by a NY Times reporter named Charles Duhigg, that has some really interesting ideas and research about making profound changes to habitual behavior. The first half is about personal habits. The second part is about businesses, so it doesn't really apply to smoking. Really good, though. It's helped me a lot. It was a popular book last year, so your local library probably has a copy if you want to check it out.

#34 DamianE

DamianE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:42 PM

It's a great book. It Even helped me get through dealing with some tough cookies at work as well.

naimadamian.png

#35 Skinny G

Skinny G

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:02 AM

To anyone else thinking of quitting, I had 3 stabs at it previous to my last attempt. Tried patches, E-Cigs and turkey. None worked for me.

2 Months ago I quit using Champix, and I haven't looked back. The Champix made me feel like shit for a week, but so does quitting smoking. The Champix is defiantly bad for you but me and 2 friends have all quit fairly easily whilst using it.

I was a smoker for 13 years and playing paintball gave me the drive to try quit, and champix helped with the cravings.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users