17 replies to this topic

#1 pumpbusters

pumpbusters

Hasa Diga Eebowai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:41 PM

I'm in dire need of a new computer (my piece of shit mac crashes 2 or 3 times a day.) So I've been looking mostly at Ibuypower's computers. Right now I'm looking at this weeks "special-B" (check i now if you want to) if i don't purchase this computer from what i can tell they almost always have rigs similar to that. This is about at the top of my price range, I've already got a nice monitor, gaming mouse and keyboard (company i work for provided me with the later two to review :) god i love my job haha). Most of what I plan on doing is gaming (nexuis, SCII, bf3, crisis II, etc) and some more in-depth editing work but nothing to insane. If I'm missing anything that makes this some terrible deal and its not worth it let me know, or if theirs anything other deals or websites that are much much better in the same price range.

First After Mike!

what did I tell about doing that?

"If at first you don't succeed pump, pump again." -me

#2 Blade of grass

Blade of grass

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:35 AM

Are you willing to build a computer?

all my legos are stored at my parents hose... so that wont be happening....

48fhih.png

#3 Stix

Stix

TechPB Lurker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:20 AM

For 749 or whatever the price is, you can build an i5 computer which, for gaming and such, would be ideal.
xfire-stix9693
Ps3 - SLYGATHOR (LittleBigPlanet, Burnout Paradise, Team Fortress2, Killzone 2)
Wii - 5318 0896 2208 0310
Steam - slygathore
Building a computer is like playing with Legos, the pieces only fit one way
Posted Image

#4 Blade of grass

Blade of grass

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:18 AM

For 749 or whatever the price is, you can build an i5 computer which, for gaming and such, would be ideal.

Yeah.
So we need to know, are you willing to build a computer

48fhih.png

#5 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,201 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:08 PM

Yeah, my dad just helped me build my first PC. It was very easy. Lots of fun and you will have it running in less than a day.

Give us your max budget and we can build you something. If you can go to 800, I'm thinking a Phenom II X4, and if you can push it to 900, I'm thinking 2500k. Both with a 7850. Unfortunately a lot of prices went up (HDD's for example). The 2500k will be enough for any game in the next 5 years, and even after that it will perform extremely well. I have a Phenom II X4 965, runs great. The CPU makes very little difference in games, especially at higher resolutions. However, the CPU (along with memory) is what really affects everything you do on a PC, besides gaming.

For example, my old rig:

Pentium D 805
2 GB DDR2 786 mhz (I think...)
Crappy intel mobo
crappy psu
2 Crap 160 HDD's
Crap CD Drive
9400gt
WinXP 32-Bit

Thing would crash upon multitasking, slow as fuck, couldn't do anything.

New PC:
AMD Phenom II X4 965
8 GB DDR3 1333
ASRock 970 Extreme3
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w Modular
Seagate Barracuda 500GB
ASUS 24x Drive
Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit
9400GT (Upgrading to a 7850 soon)

Now, everything runs approximately.... infinite times faster. But games....

CoD4 is very GPU based. I saw a 3 FPS increase. That's it. 3 FPS. After getting a new GPU, I should be able to max out BF3 with great frame rates.

Back on topic. Both builds should be able to max out BF3, if not, high settings and very nice frame rates.

Look at this: http://www.guru3d.co...enchmark-test/7

I can't notice any difference between high and ultra, yet high gets 20+ fps more. Even low settings give an outstanding looking game. (To be honest, I can't see any difference between medium and ultra... and I have perfect 20/20 vision)

My whole point is, put some cash into the PC, and you will be very happy. If you are willing to overclock it will be better.

The 2500k is 3.3GHz. Getting 4.5GHz with a $30 cooler is very common. Overclocking the 7850 should produce very nice performance. Overclocking is very easy too.

Hope I persuaded you to build, you should save a $100-$500 (depending on if it's a dell, or an alien ware, etc.) by building. It really is easy though.

Edited by The Bacon Man, 04 June 2012 - 07:09 PM.

#6 pumpbusters

pumpbusters

Hasa Diga Eebowai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:26 PM

(To be honest, I can't see any difference between medium and ultra... and I have perfect 20/20 vision)

just feel the need to point this out, your 20/x vision shows how you see things at certain distances, not the haze at which you see them through, 20/20 is standard, basically meaning that when you see something at 20 feet, it looks as though its at 20 feet. I have 20/13, so when somethings 20 feet away from me i see it with the same ability and clarity that you would at 20 feet. For real life this is useful (sports especially) but when sitting a few feet away from a computer screen the change is minimal at best.

Anyway now that that rant is over haha, to be honest im not a HUGE computer nut (at least not hardware wise), and am more than willing to shell out the extra cash to get a PC fully setup without crazy issues that I would have little ability to solve.

First After Mike!

#7 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,201 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:51 PM

(To be honest, I can't see any difference between medium and ultra... and I have perfect 20/20 vision)

just feel the need to point this out, your 20/x vision shows how you see things at certain distances, not the haze at which you see them through, 20/20 is standard, basically meaning that when you see something at 20 feet, it looks as though its at 20 feet. I have 20/13, so when somethings 20 feet away from me i see it with the same ability and clarity that you would at 20 feet. For real life this is useful (sports especially) but when sitting a few feet away from a computer screen the change is minimal at best.

Anyway now that that rant is over haha, to be honest im not a HUGE computer nut (at least not hardware wise), and am more than willing to shell out the extra cash to get a PC fully setup without crazy issues that I would have little ability to solve.

Haha lol....

And I'll throw a build together for you. First off, are you interested in Overclocking? It is always possible it may harm your system, but if you do it right, it won't. It gives much better performance, but voids your warranty.

#8 `kook

`kook

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,921 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:15 PM

I strongly suggest building one, saves so much money. It's looks so much more complicated that it really is.
It's all about the game and how you play it, All about control and if you can take it
All about your debt and if you can pay it, It's all about pain and who's gonna make it

#9 Blade of grass

Blade of grass

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:44 PM

I suggest not overclocking. The performance is usually not worth the cost if you don't have a lot of money.
(OCed CPUs die quicker then non-OCed).
Any brand loyalties?
Intel or AMD?
AMD vs NVidia?
Do you need a case?
Do you need HDDs?
OS?
DVD drive?
What do you want from you computer?
Price limit?
Answering these questions do help us alot.

48fhih.png

#10 pumpbusters

pumpbusters

Hasa Diga Eebowai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:24 AM

I suggest not overclocking. The performance is usually not worth the cost if you don't have a lot of money.
also i generally have good luck with warranties (fuck you sony, your CS is unforgivably bad) but ya i've never been a fan of rolling the dice for minor gains.

Any brand loyalties? microsoft, the company i work with is partnered with them so I have a bunch of relations i'd like to keep lol
Intel or AMD? no major preference
AMD vs NVidia? again not a major preference
Do you need a case? yup
Do you need HDDs? ya
OS?
no, i'll probably get my hands on an early version of windows 8 on it anyway
DVD drive? yup
What do you want from you computer? gaming, editing, like i said before.
Price limit? $750 top

First After Mike!

#11 Blade of grass

Blade of grass

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:57 PM

also i generally have good luck with warranties (fuck you sony, your CS is unforgivably bad) but ya i've never been a fan of rolling the dice for minor gains.

Any brand loyalties? microsoft, the company i work with is partnered with them so I have a bunch of relations i'd like to keep lol
Intel or AMD? no major preference
AMD vs NVidia? again not a major preference
Do you need a case? yup
Do you need HDDs? ya
OS?
no, i'll probably get my hands on an early version of windows 8 on it anyway
DVD drive? yup
What do you want from you computer? gaming, editing, like i said before.
Price limit? $750 top

what i mean when i say what do you want out of it, i mean, do you want to be able to water cool in the future. do you want just a good and cheap? or a more "tuning computer"? stuff like that

Edited by Blade of grass, 06 June 2012 - 01:57 PM.

48fhih.png

#12 pumpbusters

pumpbusters

Hasa Diga Eebowai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:43 PM

what i mean when i say what do you want out of it, i mean, do you want to be able to water cool in the future. do you want just a good and cheap? or a more "tuning computer"? stuff like that

I'm not really looking to upgrade to much anytime soon. and i really don't care for minor tuning.

First After Mike!

#13 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,201 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:07 PM

Sorry I completely forgot about the build.

http://secure.newegg...Number=15387634

You said something about Windows 8, if you can get it for cheap, replace the 6870 with a 7850. Or if you get more cash, replace the 6870 with the 7850.

I went completely overkill on the ram, great psu, great CPU (I use it), good mobo, great case, etc.

#14 Blade of grass

Blade of grass

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:24 PM

The PSU is meh at best.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817207016
Save up a bit more and get this, modular is worth this and XFX give Life warranties. Seriously, if it ever breaks, they will fix/give you a new one.
Also I'd replace the 6870 with the double d 6850 from XFX.

48fhih.png

#15 polishboy1098

polishboy1098

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:56 PM

He wont need 750 watts unless he does Xfire/SLI. 600 wwatts of power should be enough even 550. Also do you live near a Microcenter store because if you do they have crazy deals on CPU's

Or instead of a Rotor, get a used Pinokio or Prophecy and use the left over money for cool shit, like taquitos and hookers.

#16 Blade of grass

Blade of grass

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:40 PM

He wont need 750 watts unless he does Xfire/SLI. 600 wwatts of power should be enough even 550. Also do you live near a Microcenter store because if you do they have crazy deals on CPU's

The reason I suggest it is, yes, he won't need 750watts, but it's now future proof, and with the lifetime warranty, it should be good forever. Plus it's modular which is the best for airflow. Also it's 80 plus silver, so it's going to be a lot more efficient.

48fhih.png

#17 Stix

Stix

TechPB Lurker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:49 PM

I agree with Blade, you always want to go over the top with PSU's. Especially if you plan on running multiple HDD's or GPU's.
xfire-stix9693
Ps3 - SLYGATHOR (LittleBigPlanet, Burnout Paradise, Team Fortress2, Killzone 2)
Wii - 5318 0896 2208 0310
Steam - slygathore
Building a computer is like playing with Legos, the pieces only fit one way
Posted Image

#18 Blade of grass

Blade of grass

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:53 PM

And this doesn't apply to this situation, but in the future you might need more power and decide to cheap out, then you get off brand power supplies. And you really have to think, do I really want a cheap/crappy/off-brand PSU supplying electricity (the thing with the most possibility of destroying your computer) to your 100s of 100 dollars worth of hardware?

48fhih.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users