10 replies to this topic

#1 Deceiver

Deceiver

Smart Ass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:59 PM

Before high school, I was in amazing shape, going into freshman year I was at 135 pounds. By the end of freshman year, after eating tons and tons of unhealthy cafeteria food every day, I weighed about 160. By the end of sophomore year I weighed about 190 ish and then by February of this year I hit 205 pounds. Yea... I got pretty chubby

Sooo here's my stats

Height: 6'2
Peak Weight: 205 (February 2012)
Current Weight: 165
Total Weight Loss: 40 lbs

This happened with no fitness whatsoever and with help from advice Mike gave me.

Anyways, I planned to go down to 150, but my parents have been telling me that its an unhealthy weight for my height. I planned to get to 150 through healthy dieting, THEN I planned on going to the gym to gain a lot of muscle - apparently I lost a bit of muscle from my weight loss and I payed for that at LL5.

So here's my question: Do you guys think that 150 is too low of a weight for a 6'2 guy or do you think that it's a good weight to be at. Even after losing 40 pounds I still have a little bit of a fat pack and was hoping to lose that by going to 150.

TechPBSignature.png

Living Legends 3, 4, 5, and 6 

Cya all at LL 7

#2 BMFer

BMFer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:06 PM

You shouldn't focus on a number, focus on getting healthy and fit.
Don't wait for the gym. Hit it now, you could use whatever fat you have left on you when you start weight training.
Be smart with weight training and assume you know nothing. Ask help from trainers at the gym, do some research on line. Do not rush in and randomly start throwing around weights, you will get injured.

About LL5, if you lost muscle with your dieting, you went too far. If you had less energy at LL5 than past events, you went too far.
40lbs is a lot to lose in 4 months, esp since you were not super obese to begin with.
Don't get caught up hearing people tell you how much better you look. Do the right thing and take care of yourself, even if that means increasing your calorie consumption.

Good luck.

Edited by BMFer, 04 June 2012 - 02:07 PM.

#3 zachpnnc

zachpnnc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:42 PM

what your at right now is good just start focusing on getting the muscle back and the fat will go away

#4 speedballer001

speedballer001

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:27 PM

Well if you want to gain muscle you shouldnt really worry about you weight, because muscle ways more than fat. Once you gain muscle you will get heavier. It is a good thing to have a little fat.

#5 MidgetKickerx11

MidgetKickerx11

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:15 PM

6'2 and 165 is a string bean in my opinion. that is pretty skinny, while its not really "unhealthy" to be 6'2 with that weight, that is very skinny. hell even at 6'2 and 205 it is hard to imagine that you were chubby. im 6'1 and 220 and im nothing close to being a chubby guy. i suggest getting in the weight room and gaining some muscle, you will fill out and gain healthy weight at the same time.

Edited by MidgetKickerx11, 05 June 2012 - 10:17 PM.

#6 Deceiver

Deceiver

Smart Ass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:04 PM

6'2 and 165 is a string bean in my opinion. that is pretty skinny, while its not really "unhealthy" to be 6'2 with that weight, that is very skinny. hell even at 6'2 and 205 it is hard to imagine that you were chubby. im 6'1 and 220 and im nothing close to being a chubby guy. i suggest getting in the weight room and gaining some muscle, you will fill out and gain healthy weight at the same time.

Lol, trust me I was really chubby... I actually ended up gaining quite a bit of stretch marks as a result of this weight gain. But yea, at 165 im not even that skinny at all. I still have a bit of belly fat

TechPBSignature.png

Living Legends 3, 4, 5, and 6 

Cya all at LL 7

#7 *Triggahappy13*

*Triggahappy13*

THE BO$$

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:53 AM

Lol, trust me I was really chubby... I actually ended up gaining quite a bit of stretch marks as a result of this weight gain. But yea, at 165 im not even that skinny at all. I still have a bit of belly fat

150 is probably to low. I'm also 6'2'' and I cut from 275 to my current ~170ish. I keep getting people telling my I look skinny but my bf% is still not where I would like it to be.

Basically, I would get down to about 195 or so, then focus more on bf% than weight
Posted Image

if you put as many ups on an ion as I foolishly did I will smack you, then bonus ball you, then steal a ref uniform and call you out for playing on and call a 1 for 1 and take out a teammate. yes, that serious

#8 Sasquatch

Sasquatch

Uhhh.. I bought another gun..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,469 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:20 AM

When I joined the Army 4 years ago, I was 6'3 and 140 pounds. THAT was skinny. I had literally no toned muscle on my body. Now, I am up around 205. I have put on a little bit of fat due to terrible diet, but the bigger portion of that weight gain was muscle.

From what I have read about weight loss and muscle building and all of this, for our height, we could easily be up to 240 pounds of solid muscle and still look skinny. Also, for our height, a 10-15% BF is on the low end of our spectrum. For how big our bodies are, any less and we would be suffering loss of energy because there isn't enough fuel for our bodies to consume in between meals.

I will laugh as they overwhelm our enemies in a flurry of spotted banana hammocks.

Sasquatch's BST Feedback Thread
Check out my Ebay sales!

#9 Globemasta III

Globemasta III

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:44 PM

hit the gym now!!!!!!!!! dont even look at the scale look at the MIRROR!! u dont believe how easy it is to blow muscle while trying to lose fat lol trust me muscle is burned before fat if u dont work out
OFWGKTA

#10 Sasquatch

Sasquatch

Uhhh.. I bought another gun..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,469 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:55 AM

That's not entirely true, Globemasta. While both muscle and fat are used as energy, it is only if under severe dieting or fasting circumstances. The reason for this is glucose consumption by the muscles and organs. Carbohydrates are the first and easiest form of glucose to break down, and eating carbs is the fastest way to get them. However, if you eat a carb light diet, the body must focus on other means to get glucose into your system. The next easiest would be breaking down fat. And the hardest is to break down muscle.

Now, for extreme dieting and fasting with no carb intake, the muscle will be broken down at an accelerated rate in order to remove excess mass that needs to be fueled, therefore lowering your base metabolism, therefore making your fat stores last longer in a survival situation.

However, since I don't think OP will be fasting or cutting his diet down to an egg, an apple, and a celery stick every day, he won't have to worry about muscle breaking down before fat at a noticeable rate.

That said, I would also recommend hitting the gym. It never hurts to exercise.

I will laugh as they overwhelm our enemies in a flurry of spotted banana hammocks.

Sasquatch's BST Feedback Thread
Check out my Ebay sales!

#11 Globemasta III

Globemasta III

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:12 PM

haha dude how much weight have you lost?? and everyone that loses weight lose large amounts of muscle without exercise... thats why bodybuilders have "bulking" and "cutting phases" . I agree that you wont shred 5 pounds of muscle and 5 pounds of fat but you will lose strength without exercise while at a caloric deficit..
PS you sound intelligible on the subject, but i was generalizing and trying to motivate hahaha... exxageration in other words
OFWGKTA

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users