5 replies to this topic

#1 Lord Odin

Lord Odin

3 may keep a secret if 2 of them are dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:11 PM

Recently, I heard that RVA's are more adjustable than spring kits are and it got me thinking. If that is true, how much of a difference is it? So I did another quick experiment. I grabbed my JCS and DOP RVA's and tested them at their max and min positions and compared them to the spring kit test data to see how they stacked up.

I kept my marker the same and used the stock drive spring for this test. Cyclone was not attached.

Here's my data:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ewh2l3hdgqy

To my surprise, RVA's are quite a bit more adjustable than spring kits. According to previous thought, spring kits were used for big changes and RVA's were used for fine tuning. It seems that RVA's can handle both tasks better. In addition to that, they are infinitely adjustable. However, not all RVA's allow a stock to be attached, so they do have their drawbacks.

Edited by Lord Odin, 29 June 2009 - 09:48 PM.

#2 Evil Fingers

Evil Fingers

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,835 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 04:44 AM

RVAs on a Tippmann has its usefulness, but you have to also think about those that want to mount a Stock on their Tippmann, such as those who want turn his/her into a Full Blown MilSim Marker and the obvious choice to gain some performance out of a Tippmann is with a Spring Kit.

And there are RVAs that are incorporated onto a Stock, such as those that JCS carries and sells for Tippmann Markers as well Spyder Markers.

#3 Spitlebug

Spitlebug

Canadian Cross Dressing, Bull ball Toucher.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:23 PM

Please try not to abbreviate. I have no idea what an RVA is.

So tempted to suspend Kitty just so I can say I have....
Okay, fuck it....I just banned Kitty, that's going in the sig.

Administrator - ICD Owner's Group

Posted Image

#4 Lord Odin

Lord Odin

3 may keep a secret if 2 of them are dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:33 PM

An RVA is an acronym for Rear Velocity Adjuster. There is also an FVA, which is probably easy enough to figure out, Front Velocity Adjuster. They are located in two different locations and adjust velocity through two different methods. The RVA adjusts the amount of travel the drive spring uses, which affects the dwell of the marker and it's volume of air. The FVA simply blocks airflow through the powertube and chokes it off, reducing volume to the ball while simultaneously creating larger backpressure (important for Response Trigger (RT) and Cyclone users, and recocking of the marker).

Here's an example of an RVA.
Posted Image

You may have seen these on other markers as well, such as Automags, but I believe they affected velocity differently.

Edited by Lord Odin, 11 March 2009 - 06:34 PM.

#5 Ced23Ric

Ced23Ric

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:36 AM

MilSimmers over here simply drill holes in their foldable stocks, so they can have both the RVA and the stock, so there is still a public interest in these tests. Thanks for the work.

#6 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,121 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 12:40 PM

oh defiantly, lord odin does some great tests.

this test IMO shows that the spring constant is not a greater factor (within this range of them anyway) to overcome the pre-load displacements. which is interesting when you are dealing with guns that have springs.
The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

And yes, Gordon is the sexiest manifestation of "to the front."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users