-We first took a random sampling of two different sets of paintballs, and measured their weights.... when you have a $10k scale at your disposal, why the hell would you use anything else ? All balls were handled with powder free nitrile gloves.
-We measured the ambient air temp directly using a mercury thermometer (a digital thermometer was available, but mercury is more accurate than the cheap thermometer I had), and we got air pressure, wet bulb outside temperature and humidity from the OK mesonet.
-We mounted a 2011 Dye Nt with a Lurker .678 barrel in a craftsman table vice
-each ball was measured along it's seam and perpendicular to it's seam with a pair of digital calipers. We started off measuring 2 on the seam and on perpendicular to it, but the measurements across the seam were pretty close to exaclty the same, so we bumped it down to 2 measurements.
-I used a freak kit to verify that the Karnage paint was able to be blown through a .681 bore
-velocity data was collected on a chrony alpha
-our target was a piece of peg board with holes every 1 inch
-shots were taken inside a garage, to negate any wind effects
-My friend, Curtis, measured the paintballs and recorded the velocity, while I called out the shot locations. I was blind to any of the velocity readings and the individual seam measurements.
-Paintballs were loaded one at a time, by hand. Curtis wore a powder free nitrile glove to eleminate any chance that his sweat or oils would contaminate the balls.
-We used a laser pointer in the bore of the barrel to mark a point of reference to measure paintball impact locations. No attempt was made to account for drop over distance, our plan was to find the statistical center for each grouping of shots.
-We shot at a range of 10 feet, 20 feet and 30 feet.
-At 30 feet we started to gradually turn down the marker's velocity a quarter turn at a time, until it no longer cycled (at a little less then 250fps).
-We did not try to correct speed discrepancies between different kinds of paint. For example, at the 10 foot range, the HPR pressure was the same for both the Karnage and the Valken paint (you can notice a big velocity difference between the two paints)
-Towards the end, we ended up shooting my Bob Long Alias at whatever it was cronoed at, just to compare the NT's accuracy at similar speeds.
No more talk... here's the shooting data (note, this is raw data, I have not found the statistical centers of this data, yet)
Here is a power point Curtis made crunching some of the data.
And here is a picture of Dr McMurtrey, himself:
Edited by Troy, 11 June 2012 - 08:37 AM.