Photo

WTH is the difference between X-ball and Speedball?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 paintballfreak907

paintballfreak907

Wasilla Splatterhouse For The Win

• Players Club
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:30 PM

i dont know if this is the right fourm but if not im sorry. I dont know the difference betweeen xball and speedball enlighten me please?

Edited by paintballfreak907, 14 June 2012 - 02:33 PM.

#2 Lime

Lime

The Superior Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:16 PM

Paintball -> Speedball -> Xball

Speedball is a style of paintball, xball is a style of speedball.

Edited by Lime, 14 June 2012 - 03:16 PM.

I love you.

#3 ShadowZero

ShadowZero

Karma Police

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,235 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:14 PM

Xball just points to the field format. Usually what PSP does. Since PSP used to have those big "X" bunkers in the center that has been replaced with what is known as the "A" which is just a half-X bunker.

Speedball is the form of paintball. Airball means any format of aired up bunkers. Doesn't matter if they're in a certain formation or not.

-My YouTube (More Videos To Come Soon!)

Set-Up: Marq Rapper, Dye Rotor, Ninja 68/45

Be a Brick Wall, Don't Break Down

#4 Darthdoug

Darthdoug

Playing for CRU LT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:03 AM

And for me to use it in the terms I know them...

Paintball is our sport

Speedball is a style of paintball played much more fast paced with mostly shooting and very little hiding on a smaller field

Airball is a style of speedball played with blowup bunkers on a generally 150-180 x 80-120 sized field.

X-ball is a style of airball played with 5 people on a team with standardized sizes and shapes of airball bunkers and played in a style that is back to back points against a single team until one team wins a 'match'.

Edited by Darthdoug, 17 June 2012 - 09:04 AM.

Doug

I play for Cru Paintball
My Team is Cru LT

#5 Eskimo

Eskimo

Member #: 666 ( Seriously )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,110 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:19 PM

XBall - A newer format first played at the International Amateur Open in 2002, XBall pits two teams against each other in multiple rounds of Center Flag played one after another until game time runs out. A team scores one point for each game of centerflag they win, and the team with the most points at the end of the match wins.

Professional XBall matches are 50 minutes long, split into two halves, while non-professional matches use various shorter game times. Although only 5 or 7 players per team play in any given game, depending on league rules, teams may roster up to 19 players and substitute them after each point.

Unlike most tournament formats that forbid players to communicate with people on the sidelines, XBall teams have a coach who can communicate, along with the spectators, with players on the field. Players who receive penalties are not permanently removed from the game, but placed in a hockey-like penalty box for several minutes. The National XBall League, a professional circuit associated with Paintball Sports Promotions, plays the XBall format, which was also used for the Smart Parts World Paintball Championships broadcast on ESPN2 in the fall of 2006.

maybe that will clear it up. X-ball is a format of play.

Speedball is a Term used to describe anyone playing on the Airball fields
AKA

Posted Image

Edited by Eskimo, 17 June 2012 - 05:20 PM.

Citrus Connection
Proudly Partnered With: PBL, TechPB, Pinokio Hoppers, HK·Army

#6 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,496 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:31 AM

Speedball was the original name given to the "soccer field" style of paintball that began to emerge in the mid-1990's

As paintball players became more and more athletic and competitive, it wasn't safe for them to be constantly competing in the woods. Pro teams that were practicing every single weekend, and playing 15+ woodsball tournaments a year were starting to get injured.

So they took the game OUT of the woods, and started using flat fields, with mowed grass and wooden bunkers. That was the beginning of "speedball". When airball bunkers were invented in the late 1990's and began popping up in place of the wooden bunkers on the "flat fields", the name just stuck.

Technically, a "speedball" field is a field on flat ground, with wooden structures on it such as spools, pallets, tires, etc

Here is a video I made a few years ago talking about it. Luckily a local field, Orbital Paintball, has all 4 of the common types of fields (hyperball, speedball, airball, woodsball) in the same place

#7 paintballfreak907

paintballfreak907

Wasilla Splatterhouse For The Win

• Players Club
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:38 PM

cool thats and YA MIKE REPLIED TO MY THREAD

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users