9 replies to this topic

#1 That_guy

That_guy

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:17 PM

What are the chances of canadian customs stopping my t2 and charging it with fees. Ccm shipped with USPS priority insured shipping if that helps.

#2 Briere

Briere

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:29 PM

Usually anything over $100 is charged.
- TheAverageKiller -

#3 Danny D

Danny D

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:31 PM

If the value declared is higher than $20, then canada post will charge a $10 importation fee plus HST on the declared value. UPS brokerage fees suck balls and are much higher, but USPS/can post are reasonable.

The only exception to this is if the item is delared as a warrantee return, not a purchase, in which case they will not charge you for it.

Think of it as tax if your buying it from a local store. Its the same amount anyhow. 13% if you live in Ontario. I got a shipment in from wisconsin using the same method. $220 delared value. Payed about $40 in taxes/fees. Not bad for saving $100 despite that. Id still have to pay tax if i were to get it from my local store.

#4 That_guy

That_guy

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:38 PM

So 10$ for importation and 13% tax?

How or when would I pay that?

#5 Danny D

Danny D

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:49 PM

So 10$ for importation and 13% tax?

How or when would I pay that?

When they arrive at your house (cheque), or if your not there they will hold it at your local canada post and you pay and pick up there. They will leave a note telling you how much you owe, where to pick it up and what times. Bring ID.

Also you can see through tracking the progress of your parcel.

And yes, $10 + HST in your area. For higher priced Items it might be a tad different ($500+ maybe). Take a look at Canada posts website as well as government of canada website for details as I dont know it off hand. Google is your friend.

Next time use pinnacle paintball. They are a canadian based CCM dealer in Ontario, and will be able to get anything you need from them without all the cross border shipping hassle at damn reasonable prices.

Edited by Danny D, 20 June 2012 - 07:56 PM.

#6 That_guy

That_guy

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:51 PM

Alright thanks.

#7 Cap'n Biff

Cap'n Biff

Lab Ogre

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:51 PM

Canada Border Services (formerly Canada Customs) does not stop and inspect EVERY package that crosses the border. Nothing would ever move. Here is how this works:

• If you ship an item from the US to Canada via a private carrier (UPS, Fed-Ex, etc), you pay more for the shipment because the carrier expedites the shipment. They do this by having a holding area for all international shipments that is a bonded warehouse, and paying CBS to have agents there to process the packages.
  • CBS will inspect packages based on 1) their declared value, 2) what they are declared to be on the waybill (more later) and 3) on a whim.
  • ANY package can be stopped for inspection for ANY reason. There are some items that will ALWAYS get flagged and inspected, or worse, denied entry.
  • Things that will be denied entry are: ANY item on the Canada Post/CBS restricted items list. If you don't know what that is and you have stuff ship internationally, then go to their web site (or Canada Post's) and educate yourself (it's important). Also, there are some things that will TEND to get a package inspected. I say tend, because CBS will instruct its agents to flag certain items from time to time for one reason or another, usually some stupid political one, but sometimes because of some security or police request. For example, most CBS agents WILL inspect a package if the word GUN appears on the waybill. It could say staple gun or glue gun, but just having the word there will likely get it held up. This is not 100% guaranteed, but it will happen much more frequently than a package that says, for example, socks. It all depends on the CBS agent.
  • If a package gets held for inspection or investigation by CBS, it can (and probably will) be held for up to 6 WEEKS. During that time, you will have NO WAY of knowing why your package has been held, whether it's being inspected, investigated or if it has been denied entry altogether. Canada Post can't and won't help you, and the CBS will refer you back to Canada Post. I shit you not. After 6 weeks, if you still want to know where you package is AND it hasn't been released to Canada Post, you must contact the sender (wherever they are in the World) and THEY must contact THEIR carrier or postal service to initiate an investigation. That investigation can take up to another 6 WEEKS (for the USPS) or longer, depending on where in the World they are. Again, I shit you not.
  • Finally, if shipping via a private carrier, you can and will pay extra for their "expediting" your package, usually 2 to 3 times what the postal service charges. The ONLY advantage here is that the carriers TEND to get stuff across the border faster IF CBS doesn't snag the package.
  • If you ship an item from the US to Canada via the government-run post office, you will pay less for the shipment because it travels en-masse with all the mail the post office handles.
  • All the same rules for the CBS apply to packages shipped by postal service as for the private carriers. The initial cost of the shipment is usually lower, and there is a flat $8.50 processing fee that Canada Post charges on any package that CBS inspected or held. This is IN ADDITION to the duties and taxes (federal and provincial) that CBS would have charged on any package they inspected or held. By contrast a private carrier would charge in the order of $30 to $40 for the processing fee (again, in addition to the tax, and you pay tax on the handling fee too).
Some good(ish) news:

• Any package with a declared value of less than $20 (Canadian) is exempt from duty, and will almost always not be stopped. Now, before you think it, if CBS sees a package with a value indicated of less than $20 and the waybill describes the contents as something that would obviously be worth more than $20 (like, say jewellery), you're screwed. BE SMART, label the contents correctly (like in this case, if it really is junk fake jewellery, make sure the label reads that). If you ship stuff through the same depot and play games like this, the CBS agents who work there will absolutely own you and EVERY package you ship.
  • If the declared value of the package is less then $60 (again, Canadian) and the waybill states it is a GIFT, it too is not subject to duties and taxes, and will almost always not be stopped. The same "don't lie to Customs" rules apply here as well; don't f*ck with Customs...

This is it, this is how it works. Some people go 20 years and ship all kids of stuff back and forth across international borders and never have a hitch. They are blessed. Most people will get caught up in a snafu once in while. The smart ones remain calm and deal, like doing time in prison. The dumb ones pick a fight with CBS. Unless you are a close personal friend of a high-ranking public servant or government official, I recommend you NOT do that. Trust me kids, I know...

Hope this helps.

Edited by Cap'n Biff, 20 June 2012 - 09:33 PM.

Paintballs bounce off me like raisins off an Oldsmobile...
My Feedback
Lapco BigShot Assault A5 14"

#8 That_guy

That_guy

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:04 PM

It's my first thing coming from the us and I hope it goes without a hitch. Begginers luck maybe.

#9 paulky

paulky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:58 AM

Duty fees will not be only HST. I imported something with a declared value of $130, my duty was over $37. Be prepared to pay 25-30%.

#10 hughes

hughes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:50 PM

thats funny because I got my Ego11 from the states and only payed about $80 when i got it.
It was bought BNIB from trade my gun so it all depends

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users