13 replies to this topic

#1 Noreac

Noreac

In a perpetual state of confusion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:00 AM

I haven't had a soda since Christmas day. Just stopped cold turkey, it got rid of my chronic stomach ache's, iv'e been sleeping better, and I just been feeling better overall.

Weird things have been happening recently though. I took a shower recently and when I got out suddenly I felt too dizzy to walk, I sat down and, everything started turning blue and sounded like it was coming through a far away tunnel, I could feel as if I was fainting, and everything looked like it was getting far away, so I yelled and got my little brother to grab me a coke and it got rid of those effects which I assumed was low blood sugar, 5 minutes later it was all gone. The bad thing is that its been happening quite a bit lately, just recently I was working out and ran a mile and I felt like I was about to die, same effects as before, I could barely get myself to walk down the stairs and my friend got me a coke. 5 minutes and half a coke later I was perfectly fine.

I've also been craving lots of honey, like every time I think of honey I want some. Is there any healthier way to get rid of this than drinking a coke? Maybe a tea?
Real men play paintball.

#2 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:54 AM

Try small snacks to keep your blood sugar up. It could also be dehydration. When I get dehydrated i get very dizzy.
Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#3 drexler

drexler

Nutrition is my Mission

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 07:51 AM

Drink water and eat are the only things I can recommend. If it persists, go to the doctor.

#4 Globemasta III

Globemasta III

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:41 AM

Low blood sugar can be cured many ways besides a coke in a much healthier way
OFWGKTA

#5 Deceiver

Deceiver

Smart Ass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:00 PM

I haven't had a soda since Christmas day. Just stopped cold turkey, it got rid of my chronic stomach ache's, iv'e been sleeping better, and I just been feeling better overall.

Weird things have been happening recently though. I took a shower recently and when I got out suddenly I felt too dizzy to walk, I sat down and, everything started turning blue and sounded like it was coming through a far away tunnel, I could feel as if I was fainting, and everything looked like it was getting far away, so I yelled and got my little brother to grab me a coke and it got rid of those effects which I assumed was low blood sugar, 5 minutes later it was all gone. The bad thing is that its been happening quite a bit lately, just recently I was working out and ran a mile and I felt like I was about to die, same effects as before, I could barely get myself to walk down the stairs and my friend got me a coke. 5 minutes and half a coke later I was perfectly fine.

I've also been craving lots of honey, like every time I think of honey I want some. Is there any healthier way to get rid of this than drinking a coke? Maybe a tea?

I've had the same experience. I cut out soda and ever since when I get up sometimes my eye sight blacks out for like 5 seconds. Scary shit

TechPBSignature.png

Living Legends 3, 4, 5, and 6 

Cya all at LL 7

#6 Dak-Attack

Dak-Attack

Likes Puppies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:13 PM

Caffeine Withdraw.

It can pop up afterwards when you quit cold turkey. You need to keep up your blood sugar and drink plenty of water. You might also want to try some Gatorade every once in awhile.

#7 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks :(

• Chat Coordinator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,078 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:19 PM

What type of soda are we talking about? Regular? Diet? Caffeinated? Non-caffeinated? The fact that this happened so far after quitting the soda leads me to believe they might not be related. Have you changed anything in your diet recently? Changed your activity level?

Caffeine Withdraw.

It can pop up afterwards when you quit cold turkey. You need to keep up your blood sugar and drink plenty of water. You might also want to try some Gatorade every once in awhile.

Except it's been since Christmas. Withdrawal is right after, not months down the road.

Edited by andrewthewookie, 23 June 2012 - 03:03 PM.

RebelSignaturejedicode-1.jpg
Hybrid SFT 09 Impulse HB REV-i Macroless Mech Ion
Rotor Grillz PE 70/45 Feedback - 23/0/0

#8 paintballguy2255

paintballguy2255

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 03:01 PM

The better thing to do would probably have been to slowly let soda go.Like switch to diet,then slowly lower the number of sodas each day or week,deoending how addicted.Try to drink diet coke when you get dizzy.If the issue persists,go see a doctor.There is such thing as having caffine withdrawl months after,but it almost never happens.They make blood glucose tablets to take when your blood glucose gets low.

#9 PBPnAZ

PBPnAZ

OMG!

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:45 PM

True low blood sugar is uncommon except among diabetics taking medication to lower their blood sugar. However, it is easy to find out if you are one of the rare ones with a blood glucose meter. There are some cheap ones at Wal-mart and other places. They make all their money on the test strips so the meters are cheap. However, most of the meters come with 10 or so strips and lancets and a lanceting device and that's all you'll need. Do a couple of practice tests to learn how to use it, then carry it around with you in it's carrying case (they're small) until you have an episode then test your blood sugar. If it then comes up low, see a doctor. It might be worth seeing a doctor anyway and getting some blood work to check your electrolytes which could also be causing your problem or you could have a medical problem causing hypotension.

#10 Doctor Hank

Doctor Hank

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 06:29 PM

Truthfully I do not think this is a sugar thing, it is extremely rare to have hypoglycemia and is typically secondary to something else such as Addison's disease or dumping syndrome, etc. Furthermore, sugar withdraw is unlikely since you are still getting sugar from other sources of food, and pure sugar withdraw is for someone who literally eats candy all day everyday. If this lightheaded feeling and tunnel vision is the only thing bothering you, I am thinking something much less harmful, such as vasovagal syncope or orthostatic hypotension, which both have symptoms similar to what you describe and can be brought on by the same things. both of which are harmless and quite normal. Dehydration is also a common cause, so make sure you drink enough water. And if you want some honey, eat some damn honey. It could just be coincidence that these things are happening more often or maybe you are just noticing them more so now. If anything else comes up I would recommend seeing your doctor, otherwise I would not worry too much.

Edited by Doctor Hank, 23 June 2012 - 06:31 PM.

#11 paintballguy2255

paintballguy2255

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:25 PM

Truthfully I do not think this is a sugar thing, it is extremely rare to have hypoglycemia and is typically secondary to something else such as Addison's disease or dumping syndrome, etc. Furthermore, sugar withdraw is unlikely since you are still getting sugar from other sources of food, and pure sugar withdraw is for someone who literally eats candy all day everyday. If this lightheaded feeling and tunnel vision is the only thing bothering you, I am thinking something much less harmful, such as vasovagal syncope or orthostatic hypotension, which both have symptoms similar to what you describe and can be brought on by the same things. both of which are harmless and quite normal. Dehydration is also a common cause, so make sure you drink enough water. And if you want some honey, eat some damn honey. It could just be coincidence that these things are happening more often or maybe you are just noticing them more so now. If anything else comes up I would recommend seeing your doctor, otherwise I would not worry too much.

But most honey bought in stores is processed and sugar is added to them.Next time you got to the store,look at the nutrition label on processed honey,then on a jar of unprocessed or "organic" honey.There should be a big sugar difference,or you are being lied to and they should be shut down by the FDA.

Edited by paintballguy2255, 23 June 2012 - 08:26 PM.

#12 Noreac

Noreac

In a perpetual state of confusion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:03 AM

True low blood sugar is uncommon except among diabetics taking medication to lower their blood sugar. However, it is easy to find out if you are one of the rare ones with a blood glucose meter. There are some cheap ones at Wal-mart and other places. They make all their money on the test strips so the meters are cheap. However, most of the meters come with 10 or so strips and lancets and a lanceting device and that's all you'll need. Do a couple of practice tests to learn how to use it, then carry it around with you in it's carrying case (they're small) until you have an episode then test your blood sugar. If it then comes up low, see a doctor. It might be worth seeing a doctor anyway and getting some blood work to check your electrolytes which could also be causing your problem or you could have a medical problem causing hypotension.

I know I don't have diabetes but scary thing is my Mom, Grandma, and my Grandpa had it.

And I only eat all natural raw or comb honey btw. Not that fake sugar crap from kroger 5 bucks a gallon.

And I know for a fact its not dehydration because I drink lots n lots of water, and drinking water doesn't help.
Sodas have a very bad taste now, I tasted an orange crush and it was horrendously overly sweet and I had to spit it out, same with sprite (which I used to drink every day).

Thanks for the responses.
Real men play paintball.

#13 Eskimo

Eskimo

Member #: 666 ( Seriously )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,110 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:49 AM

Okay Here is my thoughts:

1: If you stop drinking pop you may feel tired for a few days after... But not months after.
2: To have a situation like that is NOT because of the lack of pop you drink.

3: Go to someone who ISNT a Forum regular. and ISNT on this forum at all. They are called doctors, it takes what? 45 minutes out of your day to explain something to them and they should be able to point you in a much better direction then any of us. We didnt pass the MCAT exams, nor go to Med school. We may know a small amount of what we are talking about. but not detail.

Citrus Connection
Proudly Partnered With: PBL, TechPB, Pinokio Hoppers, HK·Army

#14 Doctor Hank

Doctor Hank

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:00 PM

<-- did pass MCAT and med school haha, but you are correct, like i told him earlier if things persist or new symptoms arise you should go see your primary

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users