9 replies to this topic

#1 hammer280

hammer280

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:37 AM

This is my current, maybe a little outdated, set-up. Built it 2 years ago, and still maxes out just about everything I play.

Asus 27in 1080p Monitor & Dell 17in Plug n Play
Asus GTX 460 Top Edition w/ 768mb of VRAM @ 860 Core & 2700 Ram I believe. I can't remember the Shader clock, and I don't feel like looking (lol lazzzzzy)
AMD Athlon II X3 Rana @ 3.0 Ghz w/ 4th core unlocked making it a Phenom B40 processor.
MSI Mobo
Antec 300 Case
4gb DDR2 Ram 880 I believe
70Gb HDD. I kept this from my old Dell so I didn't have to re-download/re-install all of my games. My internet maxes at about 130kbps. I live 10miles from town, and fiber optics is a no. It will be a no for about another 40 years.
360Gb External Hard Drive (I love this thing)
Turtle Beach X12 Gaming Headset
iHome Mouse
Standard Dell Keyboard

I love this computer.

#2 Blade of grass

Blade of grass

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:12 PM

Yeah, it is a bit out dated.

all my legos are stored at my parents hose... so that wont be happening....

48fhih.png

#3 Stix

Stix

TechPB Lurker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:39 PM

It's very outdated.
xfire-stix9693
Ps3 - SLYGATHOR (LittleBigPlanet, Burnout Paradise, Team Fortress2, Killzone 2)
Wii - 5318 0896 2208 0310
Steam - slygathore
Building a computer is like playing with Legos, the pieces only fit one way
Posted Image

#4 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,199 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:18 AM

1080p on a 460 isn't going to result in good FPS. The CPU and RAM are outdated, but fine.

#5 Original Gangsta

Original Gangsta

My name is a lie.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,698 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:02 PM

Get a new GPU and more RAM and you'll be set.

I show up at a field that I never been to before for some rec-play wearing cargo pants with a t-shirt....carrying a old mech Spyder and two pringle potato chip cans for pods shoved in the pants pockets. The stares are priceless and after the first game or so you get to see the grins from the ref and players who know....priceless.

#6 Stix

Stix

TechPB Lurker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:10 PM

At that point he should just invest in a better CPU too. The x3's weren't all that great, and even if you unlock the 4th core, they're no where near the performance of a x4.
xfire-stix9693
Steam - slygathore
Posted Image

#7 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,199 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:38 AM

Yeah I'd say in a year or two to just rebuild. You'll need DDR3 ram, which means a new mobo, and a new cpu, new gpu, new PSU, ect.

#8 hammer280

hammer280

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:20 AM

It's not very outdated, lol. I got the comp on a budget a year or two back. The 460 @ overclocked settings seems to max EVERYTHING at the 1080p, I know it sounds like I'm bullshitting, but I seem to run BF3 @ max w/ 30 fps. League of Legends runs at a constant 60, but that's not very gpu intensive imo. Dungeon Defenders runs max at a constant 60 fps. World of Tanks is the only problem, when I zoom in on sniper mode if I'm in tall grass, my gpu TANKS HARD LOL it goes down to about 10-20 instantly. Otherwise WoT runs at about 40 at all times on Medium.

At that point he should just invest in a better CPU too. The x3's weren't all that great, and even if you unlock the 4th core, they're no where near the performance of a x4.

This angered me a little bit. The X3 w/ an unlocked core and a little overclock (3.0 to 3.3) runs just as good as my friends stock X4 Phenom.

BTW: My DDR2 runs just fine, I don't see a need for more than 4gb when I can only have that much with Windows 32b. Walmart only had the 32b in stock when I went to buy it, and being excited there was no way in hell I was going to wait.

Is it outdated? Yea, but that's because I haven't had the money to upgrade. Does it meet my needs? Hell yea, it exceeds them. Is it the best out there? Hell no, wasn't designed to be, it was a 700$ budget build.

#9 Blade of grass

Blade of grass

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:54 AM

You just contradicted yourself. At the start you said it wasn't outdated, then at the end you say it is, so what is it?
Also, when you come asking for peoples opinions, you don't then go and say "no, your wrong".

all my legos are stored at my parents hose... so that wont be happening....

48fhih.png

#10 Stix

Stix

TechPB Lurker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:14 AM

It's not very outdated, lol. I got the comp on a budget a year or two back. The 460 @ overclocked settings seems to max EVERYTHING at the 1080p, I know it sounds like I'm bullshitting, but I seem to run BF3 @ max w/ 30 fps. League of Legends runs at a constant 60, but that's not very gpu intensive imo. Dungeon Defenders runs max at a constant 60 fps. World of Tanks is the only problem, when I zoom in on sniper mode if I'm in tall grass, my gpu TANKS HARD LOL it goes down to about 10-20 instantly. Otherwise WoT runs at about 40 at all times on Medium.

This angered me a little bit. The X3 w/ an unlocked core and a little overclock (3.0 to 3.3) runs just as good as my friends stock X4 Phenom.

BTW: My DDR2 runs just fine, I don't see a need for more than 4gb when I can only have that much with Windows 32b. Walmart only had the 32b in stock when I went to buy it, and being excited there was no way in hell I was going to wait.

Is it outdated? Yea, but that's because I haven't had the money to upgrade. Does it meet my needs? Hell yea, it exceeds them. Is it the best out there? Hell no, wasn't designed to be, it was a 700$ budget build.

Any X3 or Triple core chips are locked on purpose guy. There's usually something wrong with the 4th core, so they say "Lets not throw it out, lets just lock that core and sell it as a triple core". Trust me, I have friends who work for AMD.
xfire-stix9693
Steam - slygathore
Posted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users