• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 paintballguy2255

paintballguy2255

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:14 AM

What is the cheapest way to travel from Memphis,TN to Chicago?So far,he cheapest I have found is an Amtrak ticket round trip for about $200.To drive it would be about $200-350.plane is about $500.basically,should I go for the cheapest or spend more and possibly get more ammenities?Also, is there anyone else who lives in or near Memphis,TN and plans on going to LL6?That way,we could boh save some money on travel.

Thanks,
Paintballguy2255

#2 etekgirl27

etekgirl27

Uber Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,954 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:21 AM

think of it this way also..if you fly or take the train you then have to add on the cost of a rental car. I'm probably gonna try and drive from CT next year if i can get some of my boys to go with me

My Feedback

Gearbag Sale

#3 paintballguy2255

paintballguy2255

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:45 AM

Yeah,I was really looking for someone to split the cost with.Hopefully someone will come around.And you make a good point about the rental car,that is another probably $50-100 along with the actual price.I am really considering the train,since it is the cheapest for a round trip(unless I can find someone to go with).

#4 UV Halo

UV Halo

Bringing the Big Guns to LLVI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:40 AM

Another thing to consider is if you are shipping yourself anything (I don't know if there are baggage restrictions/costs associated with train travel).

#5 etekgirl27

etekgirl27

Uber Member

• 13,954 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:55 AM

Yeah rentals are a little me than $50 lol. I think between me and andrewthewookie we paid around $350 or $400 for an economy rental

Edited by etekgirl27, 26 June 2012 - 11:55 AM.

My Feedback

Gearbag Sale

#6 paintballguy2255

paintballguy2255

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:08 PM

Another thing to consider is if you are shipping yourself anything (I don't know if there are baggage restrictions/costs associated with train travel).

The amtrack website says you are allowed two carry on bags and three checked bags.I have already decided to rule out flying,because it is too expensive.Me,being bored as hell,already packed everything that I would need and it came out to two big duffel bags and a backpack.

#7 Mzee

Mzee

Paintball Magnet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:06 PM

I know you said you ruled out flying, but $500 from Memphis to Chicago? Try Kayak.com. I'm not sure when you're going, but I just found flights on kayak.com for about $200 round trip. I recently flew from San Francisco to Philadelphia for < $450 (not counting baggage fees...).

That said ... you will need to rent a car or catch a ride once you get there. According to Google, it looks like it's about a 9 hour drive from Memphis to CPX. Driving might be the best bet - no rental car, travel on your own schedule, no baggage fees, take as much gear as you need. You might be able to camp and avoid motel costs... Take a friend to share costs and driving duties ... might be the way to go...

Just suggestions ... your money and your time = your decision.
Er du tokig? >B-D

#8 paintballguy2255

paintballguy2255

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:25 PM

I know you said you ruled out flying, but $500 from Memphis to Chicago? Try Kayak.com. I'm not sure when you're going, but I just found flights on kayak.com for about $200 round trip. I recently flew from San Francisco to Philadelphia for < $450 (not counting baggage fees...).

That said ... you will need to rent a car or catch a ride once you get there. According to Google, it looks like it's about a 9 hour drive from Memphis to CPX. Driving might be the best bet - no rental car, travel on your own schedule, no baggage fees, take as much gear as you need. You might be able to camp and avoid motel costs... Take a friend to share costs and driving duties ... might be the way to go...

Just suggestions ... your money and your time = your decision.

Yeah,if I do drive I want someone else tp split the cost with,because I calculated that it would cost around $250 to drive there and back round trip,assuming I was in my car and gas is $4 a gallon,which is what it will probably cost minimum around summer.I was really wanting to find someone to drive with.My friend said he might be able to,but knowing him.....

#9 Kikkia

Kikkia

Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:39 PM

Look at you local field for people to carpool with, or borrow a smart car :P
Etek3 /Dye Rotor/GI 68/45

#10 paintballguy2255

paintballguy2255

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:01 PM

Yeah,I doubt my bags would even fit into a smart car :P

;)

Yeah rentals are a little me than $50 lol. I think between me and andrewthewookie we paid around $350 or $400 for an economy rental

This is why I don't own a buisness.
I actually found a dealership that rents cars for $20 a day.If I drive up there,I could always take thatAnd I am going this weekend,so I might try to find someone(to go to LL6 with).

Edited by paintballguy2255, 27 June 2012 - 02:27 PM.

#11 Greyknight

Greyknight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:46 PM

I actually found a dealership that rents cars for $20 a day.If I drive up there,I could always take thatAnd I am going this weekend,so I might try to find someone(to go to LL6 with).

Be sure to check all the details for renting a car, it may only be $20 to rent the car per day, but they may charge you per mile as well since you are going out of state
Learning without thought is labor lost, thought without learning is powerless...

Posted Image

#12 paintballguy2255

paintballguy2255

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:17 PM

Be sure to check all the details for renting a car, it may only be $20 to rent the car per day, but they may charge you per mile as well since you are going out of state

No,we have rented from them before.We once took one to Illinois to see my cousins(and no,they live nowhere near cpx),and told them so,and they said it was O.K.

#13 Collby

Collby

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:18 PM

I think your best off driving

#14 Greyknight

Greyknight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:18 PM

No,we have rented from them before.We once took one to Illinois to see my cousins(and no,they live nowhere near cpx),and told them so,and they said it was O.K.

That's not bad at all, a little while ago i needed to pick up a car shell from NJ and uhaul was gonna end up charging me a little over 1k, and that wasnt including gas, so i just had it shipped out to me

Edited by Greyknight, 06 July 2012 - 06:26 PM.

Learning without thought is labor lost, thought without learning is powerless...

Posted Image

#15 Gyvanth

Gyvanth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:41 PM

think of it this way also..if you fly or take the train you then have to add on the cost of a rental car. I'm probably gonna try and drive from CT next year if i can get some of my boys to go with me

Dibs on shotgun.

#16 etekgirl27

etekgirl27

Uber Member

• 13,954 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:59 PM

yeah...that's not gonna happen

My Feedback

Gearbag Sale

#17 Gyvanth

Gyvanth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:40 PM

yeah...that's not gonna happen

Ehhh, you'll get used to me after while.

Edited by Gyvanth, 16 August 2012 - 10:42 AM.

#18 Hzuiel

Hzuiel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

Yeah,I doubt my bags would even fit into a smart car :P

;)

This is why I don't own a buisness.

Enterprise is 45 dollars a day for an economy class car, and they run specials sometimes. Insurance is required and costs 20 dollars a day, OR if you have car insurance that provides full coverage and covers rentals, you can use your own insurance and opt out of the extra 20 dollasr. For living legends 5 i had to rent because my car was broken down for good and my parents weren't going to let me drive their car to chicago, so i asked for an economy car and they picked me up in a fiat 500. Not much better than a smart car. I liked the car but my god am I glad I was by myself. 2 people + gear would not fit. The fiat was actually a surprisingly nice little car for the 5 hour drive, but just not meant for travel with hefty luggage. The main problem for me, was they hold a $250 dollar deposit from your card, which left me with no money. I had pre-registered and already booked a hotel weeks in advance, but I had barely enough for gas and food. I couldn't even afford to walk over to the hk booth and buy a better headband than the one i had. This year I have my own car again so that won't be a problem.

#19 Salvation

Salvation

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

Did a little math.

If you drive its about 520 miles give or take. I just mapped Memphis to Joliet. If your car gets an Avg. of 20 MPG thats just over 25 gallons of fuel one way. Say gas is $4.00 a gallon come spring. Thats $100.00 one way. Id give yourself a $50 dollar buffer for traffic jams, construction and detours. So you could make it round trip on $250 dollars. Split that with a second person and its pretty affordable to drive yourself.

Kevin
Indiana Member #"Old Fart"
SAS-Indiana
Central Indiana
http://saswoodsball.com/
http://www.sasmilsim.com/

#20 paintballguy2255

paintballguy2255

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

Did a little math.

If you drive its about 520 miles give or take. I just mapped Memphis to Joliet. If your car gets an Avg. of 20 MPG thats just over 25 gallons of fuel one way. Say gas is $4.00 a gallon come spring. Thats $100.00 one way. Id give yourself a $50 dollar buffer for traffic jams, construction and detours. So you could make it round trip on $250 dollars. Split that with a second person and its pretty affordable to drive yourself.

Kevin

Yeah,I would split it,but I'm a teenager and my parents don't want me to be kidnapped,so I'm stuck with the costs.

#21 zunath

zunath

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:21 AM

What is the cheapest way to travel from Memphis,TN to Chicago?So far,he cheapest I have found is an Amtrak ticket round trip for about $200.To drive it would be about $200-350.plane is about $500.basically,should I go for the cheapest or spend more and possibly get more ammenities?Also, is there anyone else who lives in or near Memphis,TN and plans on going to LL6?That way,we could boh save some money on travel.

Thanks,
Paintballguy2255

I live in Nashville and am looking for people to go with me. Haven't had much luck though...

#22 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:10 AM

Honestly, sometimes you can't just look at it in terms of money. If you take the train, sure its cheaper, but it's inconvenient as all hell, AND you have to rent a car while you are there. Same thing with taking a plane.

If you drive there yourself, you don't have to rent a car, and you can head back at your leisure, NOT when your tickets tell you to. And you can just throw your stuff in your car any way you want when you leave. On a train or plane, you gotta deal with packing up your stuff and dealing with security and whatnot.

Even though one option may be cheaper, what you save in money you may pay for in headache. Weigh out all options, not just cost.

Edited by PREDATOR 47, 12 January 2013 - 12:11 AM.

#23 paintballguy2255

paintballguy2255

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

You,my sir,make a good point.It would cost about $250 round trip in gas,which is cheaper than most plane/train tickets.And,no luggage fees :)

#24 Fssto

Fssto

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

845 miles for me to drive :P damn.

#25 Fssto

Fssto

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

I get about 20 mpg. Can someone figure out how much in gas that would be?

#26 Irish725

Irish725

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

What kind of car do you drive FSSTO? How many gallon tank does it have?

IrishBanner2_zps537819c4.png

Veteran of Living Legends V and VI...looking forward to LL VII! 

#27 Fssto

Fssto

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

91 pathfinder. Can't remember tank size. I'll look it up real quick

Says 21.8g

#28 Salvation

Salvation

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:37 PM

1800 Miles round trip (rounded up to be safe) @ 20 MPG your looking at 90 gallons round trip. Depending on price your looking at at least $360 in fuel costs. Im guessing it will be at least $4 a gallon by then. Kevin
Indiana Member #"Old Fart"
SAS-Indiana
Central Indiana
http://saswoodsball.com/
http://www.sasmilsim.com/

#29 Fssto

Fssto

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:45 PM

Holy shit! Just might fly and get a rental car.

#30 Fssto

Fssto

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:52 PM

Flying cost $400 roughly. Looks like I'm driving

#31 Irish725

Irish725

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:55 AM

Driving is the better option, saves you rental car money.

#32 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

I'm in Ohio, so gas there and back is about 180 for me, split two ways, 90. Add some more for driving around when we are there comes out to about 100-120 bucks split two ways. Not bad. B)

But, remember to factor in food, hotel, of course paint and entry, and extra money for whatever reason.

#33 Irish725

Irish725

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

I'm flying in from Cali to Wisconsin :400 bucks
Driving from Kenosha to Joliet: 50-60 bucks
Toodling around downtown Joliet from Thurs-Monday: 50-60 bucks:

I'm looking at about 520 in gas and travel costs lol.

#34 Fssto

Fssto

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

I won't be doing to much driving around. Just chill at the field mostly

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users