176 replies to this topic

#51 Solowing

Solowing

THESE SCALLOPS ARE RAW!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:15 PM

This is why you need to vary yoru exercise. To increase explosive sprinting you can still HIIT but to burn calories running half a mile every day is not doing much. 78 cals is not even a bar of chocolate.

For example I was out on my bike today for 3 hours doing about 65 miles. 1800 calories. You can vary your training. When you jog. Jog slower for an hour or so.

damn 3 hours? how can you stay on it that long. the longest i have done is an hour and thats with a liquid trainer an i went about 20 miles but i got sooooo bored.

And was that only 1800? at 20 miles an hour is about 150 calories every 10 minutes according to livestrong.com and from the Manuel that my dad got with it. (we both bike)

Im a Personal Trainer and fitness instructor, I cycle everywhere, Ive also got pretty bad knees so I use it to keep fit for rugby. When you get fitter you have to work harder to burn calories. If I did the same ride 5 years ago I would have burnt near on 3000. I tend to cycle 40 miles a day 6 times a week. For the last 10 miles its all up hill and interval sprints. Nothing like getting on your bike in the rain.

Why cant more people be like you, Our medical costs will drop because there will be less fat people haha.
When I'm sad, I stop being sad and become awesome.... true story

#52 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:58 PM

I give lots of credit to Distortion. Wouldn't be able to do it.

I have been on vacation since Monday but late Friday I'm coming back.

Maxes I tested so far:

Deadlift: Only had 95lbs, feel like I can do 115.
Squat: Unsafe to test my max without proper equipment
Bench: 70lbs
Pull-ups: 6 good form

Will find the rest I did on Saturday. Can't remember them all.

In Disney now so my legs are getting a nice workout ;)

#53 SublimeDPG4

SublimeDPG4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:20 AM

Maxes I tested so far:

:tup:

I love deadlift. My max is 260 :P
I use to be able to bench 145, but now I can barely do 110....:( As for squats, I hate them!

#54 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:46 AM

Maxes I tested so far:

:tup:

I love deadlift. My max is 260 :P
I use to be able to bench 145, but now I can barely do 110....:( As for squats, I hate them!

Yeah well I'm a tad bit younger lol.

I want to get a squat rack because my setup now is unsafe and a power rack is too many monies.

#55 wafle

wafle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:38 AM

Safety first hahaha! Holy shit you're strong at your age man.

#56 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:48 AM

Safety first hahaha! Holy shit you're strong at your age man.

Haha thanks. Amazing what pull ups can do.

Also the other thing I tested was bicep curls at 45 lbs (barbell)

Also 20 pushups

What weights should I start with? I was thinking 35 for the ones I'm supposed to do 45, and 55 for the ones I'm supposed to to 65.

Edited by The Bacon Man, 29 July 2012 - 11:51 AM.

#57 paintballguy2255

paintballguy2255

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:20 PM

With weights,it is not how much the weight weighs,it is how many reps you do.So you could use a 20 pound weight and do 3x the normal # of reps that you normally do.That will do more than a 50-60 pound weight at normal # of reps.I used to do 40 pound weights,and was slowly doing heavier weights,and now use a 30 pound and increase the # of reps instead.It has helped alot.Plus,it is cheaper,since you only buy 1 weight instead of 5 or 6.

#58 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:30 PM

With weights,it is not how much the weight weighs,it is how many reps you do.So you could use a 20 pound weight and do 3x the normal # of reps that you normally do.That will do more than a 50-60 pound weight at normal # of reps.I used to do 40 pound weights,and was slowly doing heavier weights,and now use a 30 pound and increase the # of reps instead.It has helped alot.Plus,it is cheaper,since you only buy 1 weight instead of 5 or 6.

I'm doing a program where you increase the weights 5lbs every time you do that exercise, but if I wasn't doing a program, I would do this.

#59 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:55 PM

Started Stronglifts 5x5 Today!

Bench: 35 lbs
Row: 35 lbs
Squat: 45 lbs

#60 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:54 PM

Hey guys! I've been doing a lot of sports the past few days, not really much running time. Tomorrow I'm getting back on track. I've been sticking to the Stronglifts plan, just didn't feel like posting. I was with my friends yesterday and I one of them wanted to race me, so another friend timed it. I sprinted full force all the way through (except the last 20 feet or so), and it was a good 30 seconds. The intervals are working, lol.

#61 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:57 PM

Stronglifts 5x5:
Squat 60 x5 (5 Sets)
Overhead Press 40 x5 (5 Sets)
Deadlift 55 x5 (1 Set)

I decided to test my max pushups again, got 25. Either I wasn't pushing hard enough for my 20, or this is working.

#62 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:15 PM

Decided to test my mile again. 10:13, not too bad.

#63 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:31 PM

Stronglifts 5x5:

Squat 65 x5 (5 Sets)
Bench 45 x5 (5 Sets)
Rows 45 x5 (5 Sets)

#64 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:08 PM

Stronglifts 5x5:

Squat 70 x5 (5 Sets)
Overhead Press 45 x5 (5 Sets)
Deadlift 60 x5 (1 Set)

2 Weeks ago:
Max Pushups - 20
Max Pullups - 6

Now:
Max Pushups - 25
Max Pullups - 7 (8 was a chin up. So close :( )

#65 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:41 AM

I just decided why not test my max bench again.

13 days ago:
70lbs, couldn't do proper form with this weight.

Today:
85lbs with perfect form.

I'm insanely impressed with myself. Talking max weight with proper form, you could say 2 weeks ago was 65 lbs. I had 70 on the barbell, benched it and had to recount the weights it was so light. I benched 80 with ease, 85 I had to push with all my might, but I got it.

#66 proshooter209

proshooter209

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:32 AM

Wow awsome dude keep it up

#67 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:48 AM

Wow awsome dude keep it up

Thanks! I hate the running, but I don't mind lifting.

Forgot to write down what I did yesterday.

Stronglifts 5x5:
Squat - 75 x5 (5 Sets)
Bench - 50 x5 (5 Sets)
Rows - 50 x5 (5 Sets)

#68 Globemasta III

Globemasta III

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:18 PM

Hey man i have to disagree with some people on this forum. the HIIT training is great, but if you want endurance you have to increase your heartrate for atleast 20 to 30 minutes to see results. Also, i reccomend doing more reps because as you first lift weights, your muscles, tendons, and ligaments first need to strengthen or you can develop problems. Also the more reps you do the stronger your muscles get for the first months of lifting. CHEERS MAN!
OFWGKTA

#69 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:43 PM

Hey man i have to disagree with some people on this forum. the HIIT training is great, but if you want endurance you have to increase your heartrate for atleast 20 to 30 minutes to see results. Also, i reccomend doing more reps because as you first lift weights, your muscles, tendons, and ligaments first need to strengthen or you can develop problems. Also the more reps you do the stronger your muscles get for the first months of lifting. CHEERS MAN!

Yeah but I get plenty of exercise where my heartrate is up for a while, the HIIT is just a little boost. For working out, stuff is starting to get heavy, but things that still feel light (like the bench press) I'll do more. Thanks!

#70 erpig

erpig

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:38 PM

Bicycle workout machines are also good. I did a mile on a treadmill and a mile and a half on bicycle machine in 13 minutes. It burns but try to push yourself as much as you can, go swimming after too. Swimming burns tons of calories.

#71 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:49 PM

Stronglifts 5x5:

Squat 80 x5 (5 Sets)
Overhead Press 50 x5 (5 Sets)
Deadlift 65 x5 (1 Set)

I only have another 5 pounds of weight for 85, I'll just squat 85 until I can get more weights.

#72 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:01 PM

Stronglifts 5x5:

Squat 85 x5 (5 Sets)
Bench Press 55 x5 (5 Sets)
Rows 55 x5 (5 Sets)

28 Pushups!

#73 newwestswag

newwestswag

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:36 AM

This makes me want to bring myself to lose a few pounds (i'm 13, 5'6 and weigh 145 but I can't bring myself to do it :( But toyou i say great job and keep going!

Edited by newwestswag, 18 August 2012 - 01:36 AM.

#74 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:06 AM

Thanks! Just slowly cut back on bad foods. Start slowly cutting soda and fast food. Once you are eating pretty good, you can start trying to lose weight. You don't need to exercise, but it helps a lot.

On a side note, I somehow managed to hurt my lower back bench pressing :blink: . I think I was curving my back. It happened yesterday, it is already a lot better.

#75 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:28 PM

Squat 85 x5 (5 Sets)
Overhead Press 55 x5 (5 Sets)
Deadlift 70 x5 (1 Set)

#76 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:43 PM

Just realized my form on the 85lb press was fucked up, I'm gonna lower my max to 80 now. Hope to get 85 next week.

3 weeks ago I couldn't do a proper 70lb press. Today I did a few reps like it was nothing. Also, I can do 31 pushups now! My goal of 30 has been achieved, time to aim for 35.

Edited by The Bacon Man, 20 August 2012 - 09:50 PM.

#77 Dak-Attack

Dak-Attack

Likes Puppies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:48 PM

This may help.

oh... and Bacon Man's Log... ppfftt....

#78 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:06 PM

This may help.

oh... and Bacon Man's Log... ppfftt....

Thanks, I've been doing it this way for a bit. Not when I tested the 85 LB's however.

ppfftt till your hearts content.

#79 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:29 PM

Benched pressed 85 today without an issue, good form. I must have been having a bad day yesterday.

#80 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:03 AM

Yesterdays (Wednsday's) Stronglifts:

Squat 85 x5 (5 Sets)
Bench 60 x5 (5 Sets)
Rows 60 x5 (5 Sets)

My first failed set is coming shortly... I can feel it.

I also squeezed out 32 pushups. I've been testing like everyday haha. I want to try to bench 90 LB, I feel ready.

Edited by The Bacon Man, 23 August 2012 - 02:09 AM.

#81 Distortion_UK

Distortion_UK

Darkest London

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:24 PM

Benched pressed 85 today without an issue, good form. I must have been having a bad day yesterday.

youre totaly right, people dont realise that a lot of things can affect you day to day. depending what you ate for breakfast down to how much you have slept, theyre all cotributing factors, some days you may hit 85 with ease, others you might do 75 and struggle.

some days my bench can fluctuate from 95kg to 100kg, thats like 10 lbs.

Posted Image

Complete Guide To Paintball Health- http://www.techpb.co...0

How to Play Snake- http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=104279

#82 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:22 PM

youre totaly right, people dont realise that a lot of things can affect you day to day. depending what you ate for breakfast down to how much you have slept, theyre all cotributing factors, some days you may hit 85 with ease, others you might do 75 and struggle.

Just a quick question for you, can the time of day affect anything? My max pushups in the afternoon sits pretty at 26-27, at 3 AM I can squeeze out 32. No matter if I wake up at 3 PM or 7 AM it is like this.

#83 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:11 PM

Stronglifts:

Overhead Press 60 x5 (5 Sets)

I didn't squat or dead today because my legs are sore as fuck from the past few days. Also next week I'm gonna fail my first exercise... For the overhead press, from reps 2-5, I had to push for a good 3 - 5 secs. There is no way I will be able to do 65 haha.

#84 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:00 PM

Instead of starting Monday, I started Tuesday this week. I can play foot ball for hours on end and feel fine, but 1 day of paintballing and I'm sore for 2 days. I went Sunday. It had lots of puddles, so I was squatting the whole time.

Stronglifts 5x5:

Power Clean 45 x5 (5 Sets)
Bench Press 65 x5 (5 Sets)
Rows 65 x5 (5 Sets)

I think I might be gaining a small amount of mass. I was eating like shit for a few months and gained nothing. When I started lifting, I started eating better. I have since gained 3-4 lbs. My forearms look a little more beefy, especially the muscle on the side of my elbow. It's like a golf ball lol. My lats are looking more shaped, instead of a downward slope, the go straight for a little. I also feel everything becoming more toned.

I'll test my maxes again for a 1 month update. Really hopping to get a 90 LB bench.

I'm also starting to do power cleans instead of squats. I'm starting at 45 LB today, not sure where I should start.

#85 Distortion_UK

Distortion_UK

Darkest London

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:07 AM

Focus on getting your technique right first, when I teach people cleans I get them for their first session to learn how to clean only using a bar. If you don't do cleans right you'll be using the wrong muscle groups.

Posted Image

Complete Guide To Paintball Health- http://www.techpb.co...0

How to Play Snake- http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=104279

#86 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:07 PM

I'm just gonna cut out cleans and squats and such until I really get the form down. I'll do some body weight squats in the meantime.

Stronglifts 5x5:
Overhead Press 65 x5 (5 Sets) [Failed]
deadlift 80 x5 (1 Set)

On the last rep of every set of the OHP I had to push for a solid 5 secs, 1 time I couldn't do the last rep, I waited a few secs and pushed it out. The last set I couldn't do the last rep at all. If I had re done the last set maybe I would have passed, but if I had to redo a Rep on each set, I'd consider that failed.

I started stronglifts 1 month ago from today, I'll post results tommorow. This week I have even more strength gains.

#87 Woodyballer29

Woodyballer29

Brass Eagle Fanboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:26 PM

On a side note, I saw this on TV, I'm not sure which channel though. They tested people who worked out for the full time against people who worked out for half of the time and watched themselves doing the reps on a video for the other half. The testing showed that the people who worked out for the full time had a muscle gainage (or something like that) of 26% then they showed that the people who worked out for half and watched for half had a 28% gainage. I don't know if it's true but they said that since you are envisioning yourself doing it, it causes the muscles to contract and relax just like if you were working out.

But It sounds like your making great ground, don't over strain yourself though. If your 13 my guess is your mid way through puberty or have just hit it, maybe your like me and didn't hit puberty until 15. You can cause yourself injury for life if you have an accident or try to do to much. Just like in baseball when you can't start throwing a slider until you are 16 you may not want to do certain things until you have passed puberty, then your muscle mass will be fully developed and you can start doing other things. They say that your muscle mass doubles when you hit puberty. If you can't use a certain muscle for say 3 months because you tore a tendon or strained something, you will lose a lot of muscle mass. Even my dad had an accident on his bike and his finger slipped through the spokes, this was a long time ago and it is fully healed but he still says something doesn't feel quite right.

Edit: Chinups are great muscle building exercises by the way. When I do them I can feel my whole upper body and even my abs flex.

Edited by Woodyballer29, 31 August 2012 - 02:27 PM.

I have and I always will be a Christian Baller.
My setup: Because I'm a bad*** Tippmann 98 custom with a shake and bake and two 20oz C02 tanks. Be jelly!

#88 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:34 PM

I think I hit it early, but I have no idea. I'm doing what I can, that's why I stopped squatting, it just didn't feel right. Thanks for the info though.

#89 Woodyballer29

Woodyballer29

Brass Eagle Fanboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:27 PM

I think I hit it early, but I have no idea. I'm doing what I can, that's why I stopped squatting, it just didn't feel right. Thanks for the info though.

Yeah man no problem, I just didn't want you to get an injury and of course...play paintball :)
I have and I always will be a Christian Baller.
My setup: Because I'm a bad*** Tippmann 98 custom with a shake and bake and two 20oz C02 tanks. Be jelly!

#90 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:13 PM

Haha yeah thanks. I feel fine except I need to adjust how I hold the barbell, I'm putting too much weight in my wrists. After that, I'm fine.

Whenever I test my maxes I have my sister spot me. She can't lift much at all, but I just need that extra 5 LB of help anyway. I want to (starting with a low weight of coarse) start learning a good technique to roll the weight off me. I also could just not use the collars, and dump the weight if necessary.

I've seen guys that if they fail a bench, they sit up and lower it to their thighs, then roll it onto the bench.

#91 picaboo8

picaboo8

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 07:10 PM

You can get a bench with the safety things on the side so if you miss a rep you can just set it on there

#92 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 07:17 PM

Yeah I'm trying to save for a power rack or squat stand. I already have a bench, so might as well spend that cash on something I could use for most things. I might be able to just set chairs on the sides... That posr gave me that idea. I'll post in 5 mins if it works.

#93 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:15 PM

One month Stronglifts 5x5 Update:

July 30th, 2012:

Bench Press: 65 LB
Pushups: 20
Pullups: 6

August 31st, 2012:

Bench Press: 95 LB
Pushups: 32
Pullups: 7

Very impressed with the program, I didn't even expect a 80 LB bench after a month. I'm trying for 95 LB right now, I feel like I can do it. I just tried and had to roll it off me, but I still think I can do it. I also cleaned up the OP.

95 LB Bench!

Edited by The Bacon Man, 31 August 2012 - 08:28 PM.

#94 A&MBaller

A&MBaller

meow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:21 PM

Have you tried maxing yet? Just wondering.

#95 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:22 PM

Have you tried maxing yet? Just wondering.

You mean testing my maxes? I tend to do that a good 4 times a week :P.

#96 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:27 PM

95 LB Bench! You have no idea how happy I am now!

#97 picaboo8

picaboo8

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:32 PM

http://www.dicksspor...598195.12598196

Something like these could be used for squatting and for catching the bar for missed reps while benching

#98 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:36 PM

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3675758&cp=4406646.4413986.12598195.12598196

Something like these could be used for squatting and for catching the bar for missed reps while benching

Thanks, I'll go for that. Better than a $400 power rack. I'd take less stability and save $250 any day.

#99 NJC

NJC

pumper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:33 PM

i have to agree with this, some days i can pump out plates on the bench no problems, some days i struggle to get 4 reps

I split my vote, half for etekgirl's body, half for her mind, because I respect a woman's mind just as much as her cans.
*Waits to get hit*

#100 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:59 PM

Yesterday:

Bench Press 70 x5 (5 Sets)
Rows 70 x5 (5 Sets)

I also did 8 pull ups today.

2 user(s) are reading this topic