• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sportzarelife

sportzarelife

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:08 PM

Im thinking about looking into an older DM or PM. I dont have any experience with them, owned an 08 slg... but that doesn't count. What im wondering is, since the older guns are more in my price range,(06-08), what kind of longevity do they have as far as the electronics? Any known problems with boards dying, or solenoids needing to be replaced? If i bought an older gun that is in good shape, should i be looking out for anything breaking in particular? Also, what is the availability of replacement parts for these guns? Is it fairly easy to get stock boards, solenoids, things of that nature? Any advice will help! Again just thinking about my options, thanks for the help!

#2 SayLengJai

SayLengJai

RICE BOY

• Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:31 AM

well Dye/Proto markers can last for a long time. Rarely do these marker go down with proper regular maintenance, most importantly is just lubing o-rings. Dye/Proto markers do have a lot of o-rings that does need to be re-lubed after a day of play or 3 cases (some have said to be 5 cases but I suggest after every day of play). cleaning orings and relubing it isn't anything hard, takes no more then a few mins. but some people don't like to do that and would rather just throw their marker in their gearbag after a day of play and pick it back up to shoot it following outing with out doing anything to it. if your looking for something like that then an ego would be great. some of my friends who shoot egos don't bother with maintenance at all. all they do it wipe it down throw it into the gearbag and out it comes following outing and they do that for months.

as for parts you can't go wrong with a Dye. Dye been producing the matrix line since 2003 and been in the industry since late 1990's if my memory is correct. Dye is also the majority owner of the PSP league so they will be around for the long haul.

I myself been shooting matrix since before Dye started producing them and have not had a solenoid fail on me. And on my Shocktech DM5 i've shot close to two hundred cases on it. as for board, I also have not had one die on me but I also never played in crazy down pour rain situations or took a nasty dive into a pool of mud. have had paint inside the grip frame before and still shot fine. but if you watch some PSP you know the boards are no problem in the rain.

only things on my matrix to have gone bad on me is the "main" o-rings, which is expected. there is like 3 orings which I consider to be the main ones and you have to replace those time to time. other o-rings are needed but don't really do much besides hold air in place so as long as you lube it lightly they'll last a long long time.
something else to tend to go bad for me is eyes. not sure if its just my bad luck but every other year one of my guns eye seem to go bad, which isn't bad considering I shoot a lot of paint. and of course replacement parts are all over the net for you. to the point where you can find the best deal and decided if you want oem or aftermarket. also, I say that its my bad luck cause no one else on my team or friends that I play with have eye problems at all. And quite a few of them shoot Dye as well.

well hope this helps and you understand what I typed. I sometimes makes no sense at all. well if you have any question just hit me up.

but simple answer to your question, YES, dye markers last a long long time. only thing you need to replace is lube and certain o-rings and parts are very easy to find.

#3 dirtraven

dirtraven

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:03 AM

I know people that still play with DM7, PM6, PM7, PM8 and they are still going strong. DM and PMRs just need a little love since it's a spoolie. I tend to relube my DM about every 2 cases which takes about 5min to do.

#4 sportzarelife

sportzarelife

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:45 PM

well Dye/Proto markers can last for a long time. Rarely do these marker go down with proper regular maintenance, most importantly is just lubing o-rings. Dye/Proto markers do have a lot of o-rings that does need to be re-lubed after a day of play or 3 cases (some have said to be 5 cases but I suggest after every day of play). cleaning orings and relubing it isn't anything hard, takes no more then a few mins. but some people don't like to do that and would rather just throw their marker in their gearbag after a day of play and pick it back up to shoot it following outing with out doing anything to it. if your looking for something like that then an ego would be great. some of my friends who shoot egos don't bother with maintenance at all. all they do it wipe it down throw it into the gearbag and out it comes following outing and they do that for months.

as for parts you can't go wrong with a Dye. Dye been producing the matrix line since 2003 and been in the industry since late 1990's if my memory is correct. Dye is also the majority owner of the PSP league so they will be around for the long haul.

I myself been shooting matrix since before Dye started producing them and have not had a solenoid fail on me. And on my Shocktech DM5 i've shot close to two hundred cases on it. as for board, I also have not had one die on me but I also never played in crazy down pour rain situations or took a nasty dive into a pool of mud. have had paint inside the grip frame before and still shot fine. but if you watch some PSP you know the boards are no problem in the rain.

only things on my matrix to have gone bad on me is the "main" o-rings, which is expected. there is like 3 orings which I consider to be the main ones and you have to replace those time to time. other o-rings are needed but don't really do much besides hold air in place so as long as you lube it lightly they'll last a long long time.
something else to tend to go bad for me is eyes. not sure if its just my bad luck but every other year one of my guns eye seem to go bad, which isn't bad considering I shoot a lot of paint. and of course replacement parts are all over the net for you. to the point where you can find the best deal and decided if you want oem or aftermarket. also, I say that its my bad luck cause no one else on my team or friends that I play with have eye problems at all. And quite a few of them shoot Dye as well.

well hope this helps and you understand what I typed. I sometimes makes no sense at all. well if you have any question just hit me up.

but simple answer to your question, YES, dye markers last a long long time. only thing you need to replace is lube and certain o-rings and parts are very easy to find.

thanks for the in depth response! i have no problem maintaining my equipement, im extremely meticulous so i wouldn't have a problem with lube or oring issues. sorry to hear about your bad luck with the eyes, i feel like that shouldn't happen regularly(maybe your accidentally pinching eye wires?).

#5 SayLengJai

SayLengJai

RICE BOY

• Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:08 PM

thanks for the in depth response! i have no problem maintaining my equipement, im extremely meticulous so i wouldn't have a problem with lube or oring issues. sorry to hear about your bad luck with the eyes, i feel like that shouldn't happen regularly(maybe your accidentally pinching eye wires?).

nah, I wasn't pinching the eye wires or maybe I was and just wasn't in an obvious spot? I think I just got a bad set of eye wires or this particular marker just like messing with me. All my other markers work perfectly fine. I rarely even have to replace o-rings, but I do clean my markers often and re-lube sometimes before and after a days of play. After day of play I always clean and re-lube fresh on my spoolies.

When I had my ego I was a little more lazy on it but then again ego's can take that.

Hope it helped you make your decision.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users