• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 killa jay95

killa jay95

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:44 PM

why do u have have to rehydro ur tank and what does it mean?

#2 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:51 PM

This explains it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6IA5mGelR4

You have to hydrostaticlly test a tank after 5 years for a Carbon fiber tank, and 3? years for an aluminum tank.

You have to hydro it so you can deem it safe because you do not want to have this near your crotch when this happens

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here are more photos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNA7rdUpGbE

#3 TacticlTwinkie

TacticlTwinkie

*insert witty title*

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,974 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:09 PM

It is just to recertify it as safe to use. It must be done every 5 years from the born date or the last hydrotest date. Carbon fiber tanks have a maximum life of 15 years from the born date. After that, they are deemed unsafe to fill. They very well be able to safely hold pressure, but it can not be certified for use after 15 years.

#4 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,201 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:39 PM

Something I have been wondering myself: If it blows up or something, do they send it back to you or do they throw it out?

#5 DBeck

DBeck

Dem Milkshakes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:41 PM

This explains it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6IA5mGelR4

You have to hydrostaticlly test a tank after 5 years for a Carbon fiber tank, and 3? years for an aluminum tank.

You have to hydro it so you can deem it safe because you do not want to have this near your crotch when this happens

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here are more photos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNA7rdUpGbE

the last 2 pics and video are what happens when you put oil in the fill nipple though Posted Image

#6 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

• Members
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:51 PM

yea

#7 Ben Stanczik

Ben Stanczik

^^Lego ball!^^

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:41 PM

Regardless the tank should be tested to make sure that nothing it wrong with the tank or to make sure nothing is in the bottle

+8/-0Ben Stanczik's Feedback

Ninja Tank Owner Club!

#8 510waffles

510waffles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:39 AM

Something I have been wondering myself: If it blows up or something, do they send it back to you or do they throw it out?

they never blow up the tank. in order to blow it up, they need to put 11k+ psi on it. They put enough pressure to test the tank with a current. Water conducts electricity. they pour water in the tank. and around the tank. pressureize the water. If a current goes through the water in the tank to outside the tank, that means theres a crack. This means it fails. If it fails, i think they are required to condemn the tank and take it.

#9 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,201 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:26 AM

they never blow up the tank. in order to blow it up, they need to put 11k+ psi on it. They put enough pressure to test the tank with a current. Water conducts electricity. they pour water in the tank. and around the tank. pressureize the water. If a current goes through the water in the tank to outside the tank, that means theres a crack. This means it fails. If it fails, i think they are required to condemn the tank and take it.

Ah ok thanks.

#10 510waffles

510waffles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:58 PM

more details.

#11 No Mercy Ever

No Mercy Ever

Sophomore Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:18 PM

Keep in mind, you have an aluminum, or aluminum core with either carbon fiber or fiberglass wrap around it, bottle that is holding air at a pressure. Add into this, the thermal dynamics of filling a tank, and using it. Call that a $1 way of saying that the tanks get warm and cold as you fill them. And as things get warm the expand, while getting more compact as they get cold. Plus the reaction from the fill, warming back up after getting cold, or cooling down after being warm. So a hydrotest checks to see if the bottle, holding up to 4500 PSI next to your body, can handle the expansion and contraction of getting filled and emptying over and over.

They fill them with water, and then put them in water so that they can work with the pressure and not have an explosion. If they fail, they don't do any damage to things. But most often, if a tank fails it's test, it has increased in size, or decreased in size, too much. When they get condemned, one thing that I have heard that shops will do is to drill a hole in the bottle, so it can't be used, and return it to the person.

#12 Jaccen

Jaccen

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:53 PM

Why? It's a DOT/TC regulation/law for transport.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/...inders-473.html
http://www.tc.gc.ca/...-300.htm#sec510

What cylinders can I use in Canada?

Cylinders for transport of dangerous goods in Canada must be in accordance with the requirements set out in section 5.10 of the TDG Regulations.

Personal safety on the field is an important side benefit of this requirement.

Edited by Jaccen, 12 July 2012 - 04:54 PM.

#13 Schaef

Schaef

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:29 PM

its cheaper to buy a new tank (co2 in this case) than it is to rehydro. you can get 20ounce tanks off amazon for $15

#14 Blade of grass

Blade of grass

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:03 PM

How did you hear that's how they do It?
Because that's not.

The way that tanks are re-certified to hold their operating pressure, is by filling the tank to 1 1/2 times to 2 times the operating pressure. That way they can ensure that it will hold pressure.

What you said will on tell if their is a full crack, but not if it's structurally unsound.

Most tanks are designed to be able to hold more than their operating pressure, which is way higher than any regulator or even fill station would allow/be able to.

Edited by Blade of grass, 12 July 2012 - 10:11 PM.

all my legos are stored at my parents hose... so that wont be happening....

48fhih.png

#15 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

• Members
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:13 PM

its cheaper to buy a new tank (co2 in this case) than it is to rehydro. you can get 20ounce tanks off amazon for $15

yes but how many mid to high ends can safely run on CO2?
Also HPA is cheaper because it is all day opposed to $5 a fill.

#16 510waffles

510waffles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:05 AM

Because that's not.

The way that tanks are re-certified to hold their operating pressure, is by filling the tank to 1 1/2 times to 2 times the operating pressure. That way they can ensure that it will hold pressure.

What you said will on tell if their is a full crack, but not if it's structurally unsound.

Most tanks are designed to be able to hold more than their operating pressure, which is way higher than any regulator or even fill station would allow/be able to.

that was the condensed super simplified version, not to be taken seriously version.

if i were to have someone tell it to me like im 5, thats how i would have someone tell it to me.

#17 Blade of grass

Blade of grass

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:09 AM

Because that's not.

that was the condensed super simplified version, not to be taken seriously version.

if i were to have someone tell it to me like im 5, thats how i would have someone tell it to me.

Oh, ok, but they don't even do the whole electricity thing?

all my legos are stored at my parents hose... so that wont be happening....

48fhih.png

#18 Jaccen

Jaccen

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:19 AM

Might be solely a rec player.

#19 elraido

elraido

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:58 PM

Or you can get yourself a 50 lbs canister for $30 and a fill station and fill all of yours yourself.

Not everyplace has HPA widely available. Where I live, the closest place is over an hour away.....hence it is easier and cheaper to just CO2

#20 No Mercy Ever

No Mercy Ever

Sophomore Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:18 PM

Maybe at a field that you play at, but for me, all of the local places offer a set price for players, offering them all day air, regardless of CO2 or HPA. That tends to be a bit more typical.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users