• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 k00lm4n

k00lm4n

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:10 PM

I recently bought a case of 2 stars of G.I. Sportz paint and I decided to do a drop test. It's like monsterballs! 1 out of 2 balls bounces off a 3rd story building throw. The paint isn't old and has been stored in a tempered room in the store and at home. Is this a bad batch or is it common with that paint?

Video:

#2 Cap'n Biff

Cap'n Biff

Lab Ogre

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:24 PM

It's not as bad as Monsterball, trust me, though it's not exactly premium, tournament-grade paint either...

The GI Field, 1 and 2 Star paints are tough and rubbery. My tag line, coincidentally, is thanks to GI 1 Star paint. GI paint is OK if:
  • You are playing woodsball, and you use their 3 Star paint. I played an event a few weeks ago that was all woodsball with my Phenom and GI 3 Star, and it was the best woodsball paint I'd shot all year. Not a single Cyclone or barrel break in 2 cases, and pretty good breakage on targets, but still tough enough to shoot through leaves and twigs.
  • For speedball, their Imperial paint is good BUT it has no shelf life. Fresh, it's an excellent paint, brittle shell and good splatter, but after even only 3 weeks in good storage conditions, I found the shell started to harden. After 3 months, it was like eggshell.
Anyway, that's been my experience with GI paint. Hope this was helpful.

Paintballs bounce off me like raisins off an Oldsmobile...
My Feedback
Lapco BigShot Assault A5 14"

#3 Kevin

Kevin

King of low-end

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,207 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:35 PM

I've only had experience with the 5 Star Imperial paint. Its pretty much the best professional paint I've ever used, but maybe their low end paints leave something to be desired.

I am qmto on youtube, i make funny videos because i love you all.
My Feedback 34/0/0
brasseagletechpblogo.gif

GUNS!!! Buy them please!

#4 Schuppert3

Schuppert3

Respect the BBN

• TechPB Players Club
  • 9,014 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:48 PM

There is a reason its called low end.

yea I kept seeing banner ads for asianbeaver.com until I cleared my cache

Feedback +5/-0
Mod App

#5 NoLimitsOnLife

NoLimitsOnLife

Patience is a Virtue, and my board is broken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:53 PM

my team used to use 2 star all the time for practice and it didnt seem any worse than stingers. no i didnt throw them off a 3 story building but they didnt hurt more than any other paint. also, in the video you're comparing rec paint to tournament paint. if you really want to see how 2 star stands up you should compare it to other rec paint
Posted Image
Setup: System X NME LE, Dye Rotor, Guerrilla Air 88/4500 Myth G2
MARYLAND BALLERS FTW

#6 Squirt

Squirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:00 PM

i use manly GI 2 star for rec ball and its great i love it.

#7 cali penguin

cali penguin

Sophomore baller (EHS)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:04 PM

Not only compare to other paint with similar price but try conducting a larger test than 1 out 2 bounced.

More like 3 out of 20 bounced or larger.

I didn't seem to have a horrible experience with GI 2 star, I'd buy it again.

Edited by cali penguin, 19 July 2012 - 03:05 PM.

If you've never been on PBN and NEVER will, put this on your sig! TECHPB 4 LIFE.
Posted Image
GOTTA have balls to rock a pinokio! It doesn't hurt to have a barrel too.
Empire Axe Owner

#8 k00lm4n

k00lm4n

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:05 PM

Not only compare to other paint with similar price but try conducting a larger test than 1 out 2 bounced.

My goal wasn't really to compare paints. It was to show that the G.I. is bouncing too much.

#9 gibbeepbroxzor

gibbeepbroxzor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:14 PM

I would consider 2 star as higher than basic rec grade. Its 2nd level. Draxxus Silver is the same price. Valken Graffiti is the same price. And guess what, the 2 star is worse than most 1st level paint. Id honestly shoot Infinity, Basic Training, or Stinger over it. And I hate all of those lol... Whenever I roll up to my home field, and they are out of Graffiti I could almost just go back home, because lately its been Valken or GI, and the GI is CRAP, every time I've used it. Now, some of my friends/ teammates/ coworkers have used 3 and 4 star, and liked it... but im not spending 70 for a case of paint, I'm fine with $55 for Graffiti (plus my discount and no sales tax and all that jazz).

#10 NoLimitsOnLife

NoLimitsOnLife

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:41 PM

My goal wasn't really to compare paints. It was to show that the G.I. is bouncing too much.

how do you know though you didn't compare it to anything reasonable. most tourny paint breaks when you drop it from 5 feet, so of course it will break when dropped from 3 stories. seems to me like you're using the assumption thatevery and all paint normally breaks from that height as your baseline, and because physics proved you wrong you've come to the conclusion that the paint is crap. i only say this because iv never had any problems using 2 star and in fact i would use it over any other non tourny paint if my field sold it.
Posted Image
MARYLAND BALLERS FTW

#11 k00lm4n

k00lm4n

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:17 PM

how do you know though you didn't compare it to anything reasonable. most tourny paint breaks when you drop it from 5 feet, so of course it will break when dropped from 3 stories. seems to me like you're using the assumption thatevery and all paint normally breaks from that height as your baseline, and because physics proved you wrong you've come to the conclusion that the paint is crap. i only say this because iv never had any problems using 2 star and in fact i would use it over any other non tourny paint if my field sold it.

Of course tourney paint breaks from 5 feet. But I don't think that the G.I. does. Not even from 15 feet. Might be a bad case then.

#12 Funk21

Funk21

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:16 PM

I would consider 2 star as higher than basic rec grade. Its 2nd level. Draxxus Silver is the same price. Valken Graffiti is the same price. And guess what, the 2 star is worse than most 1st level paint. Id honestly shoot Infinity, Basic Training, or Stinger over it. And I hate all of those lol... Whenever I roll up to my home field, and they are out of Graffiti I could almost just go back home, because lately its been Valken or GI, and the GI is CRAP, every time I've used it. Now, some of my friends/ teammates/ coworkers have used 3 and 4 star, and liked it... but im not spending 70 for a case of paint, I'm fine with $55 for Graffiti (plus my discount and no sales tax and all that jazz).

Not sure where you are buying from but GI 2 star and Draxxus Silver should be nowhere near the same price, Silver is tournament grade paint and will shoot way better. Draxxus Silver is similar to GI 4 Star. Comparing GI and Draxxus's lower grade stuff I have found that Draxxus tends to be better all the way up to the Bronze. After that I think it's pretty even draw.

Cheers
Funk21
Red/Grey Clone VX & Warped Sportz Dark Ego11 Black/Purple
Guerrilla 4500/70 CI
Black Rotor

#13 NJC

NJC

pumper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:19 PM

gi 4 star, the two times i've used it for a tournament has been amazing, i played corner and i could shoot my mirror on a rather large field (provo pick up field for people in utah) shooting 240 in one tournament and it broke on elbows and chests. yep, it's good shit

I split my vote, half for etekgirl's body, half for her mind, because I respect a woman's mind just as much as her cans.
*Waits to get hit*

#14 erg993

erg993

Poke' Baller

• BST Moderator
  • 7,663 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:22 PM

I can say from experience that 1 and 2 Star are garbage. The case of 3 Star I used was decent. I've never used 4 or 5 Star.

Feedback

JT Replacement Foam - http://tinyurl.com/kwscalp

#15 NJC

NJC

pumper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:25 PM

3 star is also decent, when i used it it wasn't very round but still flew pretty straight and broke ok, seems like 3 star would be better woodsball paint

I split my vote, half for etekgirl's body, half for her mind, because I respect a woman's mind just as much as her cans.
*Waits to get hit*

#16 NoLimitsOnLife

NoLimitsOnLife

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:04 AM

Of course tourney paint breaks from 5 feet. But I don't think that the G.I. does. Not even from 15 feet. Might be a bad case then.

perhaps. but in all fairness i havent used 2 star in over a year. so it could have changed.
Posted Image
MARYLAND BALLERS FTW

#17 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

Life's too short to drive boring cars

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:08 AM

It depends how it's been stored.
I've been shooting one trough three star paint at practices for two years now. Great paint for it's price.
And the 5 star imperial? Holy shit that paint is good.

Edited by Nobben #44, 20 July 2012 - 09:09 AM.

#18 TheNamesClay

TheNamesClay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:08 PM

Last time I used 2 star I was actually impressed. Might of just had a fresh batch.

#19 picaboo8

picaboo8

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:13 PM

I have some 2-star at my house and it drops when I break it.

If you shoot it at 300 fps im sure it'll break

#20 Timmer1717

Timmer1717

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:50 AM

we have to use the 2 star at the field i play at. i dont mind it. shoots fine out of my mini. no barrel breaks and breaks on target pretty good. plus its cheap...
A good friend will bust you out of jail, but a GREAT friend will be sitting in the cell with you saying, "Man, that was fun!"
Tippmann 98 Custom with Auto- Response Trigger, Cyclone Feed System, and 16 inch sniper barrel.
Soon to be more if i can scrounge up some money...

#21 SublimeDPG4

SublimeDPG4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:10 AM

I have some 2-star at my house and it drops when I break it.

:blink:

#22 ChrisO17

ChrisO17

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:21 PM

The DXS at ION was the worst i ever used! when i first opened the bag, the paint was squishy....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users