• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cpuwhiz22

cpuwhiz22

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:42 PM

I wanted to ask everyone about any experience or tips they have for me installing anti-siphon tubes for the first time. Obviously, empty the tank to start. One major question I have is regarding loctite. I have read threads saying there was someone who was killed because loctite had clogged the safety hole on the valve and turned the tank into a bottle rocket. However, most guides I have read for installing anti siphon tubes state to use loctite. I am not sure if it should be used on the anti-siphon tube connection to the valve and/or the valve to the tank. Also, I dont have a vice, so if anyone has any uther tips on removing the valve that would help. I guess in summary, if you have ever installed anti-siphon tubes, could you post the procedure you follow/ed? Thanks!

#2 EonBlue91

EonBlue91

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:13 PM

Just let a pro-shop do it. From what I understand, both deaths related to the sport of Paintball have been due to this same reason.

#3 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,054 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:15 PM

Can't you use teflon tape?

#4 Gr8escape10

Gr8escape10

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:43 PM

Just let a pro-shop do it. From what I understand, both deaths related to the sport of Paintball have been due to this same reason.

#5 cpuwhiz22

cpuwhiz22

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:33 PM

No proshops nearby me, plus I am very capable. I have done all sorts of hardware projects, as well as fine electronics soldering 32 AWG wire to ASIC legs side by side. I'm sure this means nothing to you, but consider it heart surgery to electronics. I know all about being careful and have plenty of experience and tools. I have just never done this so before going and doing it "my way," I wanted to hear what everyone else can share.

Thanks!

#6 WiscoBaller

WiscoBaller

Master Member

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:34 PM

teflon tape, one wrap, dont overdo it, make sure it is at the top of the valve, not the bottom.

University of Wisconsin Whitewater Paintball Club
Sponsored by KEE, H2 Paintball, Empire
The Hooligans Paintball Team
Bob Long Victory Ripper Dye Rotor Dye Throttle 70/4500
Bob Long Ripper FST

#7 cpuwhiz22

cpuwhiz22

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:42 PM

teflon tape, one wrap, dont overdo it, make sure it is at the top of the valve, not the bottom.

So use only Teflon tape on the A/S tube threads? And no loctite or anything on the valve threads to the tank? Just want to make sure I got it right. Thanks!

#8 slinkyaroo

slinkyaroo

Yes, I'm old. Yes, I'm cranky.

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,755 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:27 PM

Use permanent red locktite or green.

#9 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,789 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:33 PM

Locktite does not clog anything if you apply it correctly. You only use a small drop on the threads. The only way it will clog anything is if you glob it on the threads.
Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#10 cpuwhiz22

cpuwhiz22

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:33 PM

So if I am getting this right, I don't need to put anything on between the anti siphon tube and the valve, but I need loctite for the valve-to-tank threads? I am reading a lot that says to never use loctite on the valve threads. Is it ok, or recommended to do this without loctite? Just want to make sure I'm clear. Thanks!

Edited by cpuwhiz22, 26 July 2012 - 12:42 PM.

#11 Maj Tom

Maj Tom

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:04 AM

So if I am getting this right, I don't need to put anything on between the anti siphon tube and the valve, but I need loctite for the valve-to-tank threads? I am reading a lot that says to never use loctite on the valve threads. Is it ok, or recommended to do this without loctite? Just want to make sure I'm clear. Thanks!

Correct tube to valve doesn't need anything special.

People advise against loctite for those who don't know how to use it (glob it on and such).

If you use loctite apply it to the trailing threads ( the ones closest to the valve-bottle o-ring). This prevents the loctite from clogging any safety feature on the valve stem and will keep the valve in place. I'd recommend red loctite as green is a pain in the ass even when heat is applied.

#12 Steel546

Steel546

Drupaler.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:13 PM

For CO2 tanks, especially use loctite. I'd go with blue or red (red if you want more permanent). Also be sure to mark the side of the valve that has the siphon tube pointing up once you get it installed. You'll probably need a vice though to get it on/off, or a pipe wrench and a strap wrench.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users