• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Brunsy

Brunsy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:23 PM

I need a laptop for college. I'm going to major in computer science and have to take some programming classes, so I didn't know if I would need a windows or if a mac would be fine (I don't program much). I would really like to get in to computer networking or network security.

All the faculty at the college told me to get a mac, but some students there said a windows will do just fine.

http://bgstores.bgsu...t.aspx?ID=12492
^this is a link to the available macs they have. They also have dell and hp but none in stock. I can buy a 4 year warranty for both kinds of computers that will repair anything for free except for the payment to buy the warranty.

So... Mac or windows?

Some other questions I have:
Is it worth it to buy a mac?

Is it difficult to switch from windows to mac?

Is windows or mac better for computer networking and network security?
Posted Image

#2 PsychOfMSE

PsychOfMSE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:35 PM

Keep in mind you can tri-boot windows/osx/Linux on a MacBook. Can't do that (easily) on a windows machine. You will pay a premium for the MacBook though.

#3 Brunsy

Brunsy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:47 PM

Keep in mind you can tri-boot windows/osx/Linux on a MacBook. Can't do that (easily) on a windows machine. You will pay a premium for the MacBook though.

But I would have to pay for the windows operating system too if I did that?
Posted Image

#4 PsychOfMSE

PsychOfMSE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:00 PM

But I would have to pay for the windows operating system too if I did that?

yes.

I highly doubt you will be doing anything in a comp sci course that will require OsX. Go with a pc.

#5 Username

Username

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:29 PM

Go with a PC for programming. Any high level classes will more than likely require high level computers. Just be aware. <br><br><br><br>I made out as a computer engineer which is basically a mix between software and electrical engineering with a lot of computer science thrown in. :P Desk tops were my computer of choice because when I was in school laptops really weren't up to par with a lot of high level projects. <br><br><br><br><br>

Unless you are stuck with some trendy Mac toting TA you will find most professors in that area are die hard PC fans because that's what the heavy majority of companies use in the industry.Which is especially important for any professors who worked in industry before teaching.

When you find a job out in the industry, you will be on a PC more than likely. Acting as a program monkey. I have never seen a Mac, and I have been at Texas Instruments, Raytheon, Motorola, and now Lockheed Martin. Most large companies just don't use them because everyone knows Windows.

Edited by Username, 26 July 2012 - 09:44 PM.

National Rifle Association
Posted Image

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
~ Thomas Jefferson

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users