22 replies to this topic

#1 spisla

spisla

I made Mr. Rogers eat paint

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,192 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:55 PM

So, I've seen a few too many threads talking about paintball on TV/Olympics/X-games etc. And one of the things that always comes up (That I've noticed) is that paintball is really hard to follow and show on TV or a webcast. So, I thought it would make for a good discussion. What do you guys think should happen to make paintball an easier sport to follow? Now, it could be a completely new format, adding/removing certain things or anything you want really!

Just to be clear, this is ONLY referring to paintball being easier to watch and follow for a random person on the street. Not on how to bring more people into the sport or whatever (No ramping, lower ROF that stuff.) I just want to know what you guys think would help the sport be easier to watch. If you don't think it can, say why!

I'll start off I guess. I think it would be great if we could use cameras on the players to "live-stream" footage. We could have the screen split or have a little section pop up (sort of like a "Picture in picture" thing) if a player gets into an intense gun fight that would be pleasing to watch. Or why not the two players that are involved in it? The live-streaming would also be nice for replays, say a player makes a big move, we could see it from his perspective almost seconds after. IMO, the R7 is a step in the right direction for this.

Of course, there ARE problems to this. It would be difficult to get an HD camera to stream HD footage instantly onto a player. It would be really low quality, and probably not even be worth showing if we used something like a go pro, contour or the R7. Then you have the problem of syncing the cameras up with the players that are on the field at that time. One substitution and it might take a while to link it up. A new format could help though (longer games/points) and then, you have to have someone watching 10 cameras at once, and figure out who is who. Unless the players have their name and number in a corner or something, I don't know.

Well, I tried, Now I want to hear what you guys have to say.
Posted Image

If you see someone pulling that here hit the report button and I'll teabag them =)

NorthWest Ballers club. TechPB feedback

#2 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks :(

• Chat Coordinator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,110 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:01 PM

I just posted this in the Olympics thread, but fits in here as well:

If we're going to have people watch paintball, it has to be in full HD. No exceptions. The commentators also have to be good; a good commentator can make it or break it for me. The camera operators need to know when to follow someone, and when to focus on someone running the field, or someone grabbing the flag; or at least put someone in the producer's booth who knows when to switch cameras.

RebelSignaturejedicode-1.jpg
Hybrid SFT • 09 Impulse • HB REV-i • Macroless Mech Ion
Rotor • Grillz • PE 70/45 Feedback - 23/0/0

#3 spisla

spisla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,192 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:06 PM

I just posted this in the Olympics thread, but fits in here as well:

If we're going to have people watch paintball, it has to be in full HD. No exceptions. The commentators also have to be good; a good commentator can make it or break it for me. The camera operators need to know when to follow someone, and when to focus on someone running the field, or someone grabbing the flag; or at least put someone in the producer's booth who knows when to switch cameras.

I agree with the HD, and yes, commentators can make or break it. I don't know his name, but whoever does all the PSP webcasts (I think his name is Mat or Matty or something idk) Is really good IMO. Oh, and 1,000,000 yes on the camera operators needing to know WHAT to focus on.

And something that's always bothered me, why aren't there any cameras on the dorito side of the field? A lot of stuff happens over there that you don't get to see very well..
Posted Image

If you see someone pulling that here hit the report button and I'll teabag them =)

#4 PsychOfMSE

PsychOfMSE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:17 PM

I think some kind kind of graphic that shows a top down view of the field and the position of each player in real time would help a LOT with understanding the movement tactics of a team.

#5 spisla

spisla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,192 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:20 PM

I think some kind kind of graphic that shows a top down view of the field and the position of each player in real time would help a LOT with understanding the movement tactics of a team.

Do you mean a bird's eye view?
Posted Image

#6 Beastpaintball413

Beastpaintball413

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:24 PM

The psp commentator name is Matt marshel he used to play on I believe xsv

Edited by Beastpaintball413, 30 July 2012 - 02:26 PM.

#7 spisla

spisla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,192 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:26 PM

The psp commentator name is Matt marshel he used to play.

There we go, I knew it was Matt something. :P
Posted Image

#8 HU Soldier

HU Soldier

Say Chesse!! your about to get Painted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:29 PM

what makes it hard for me to watch is how it stagnates which is hard to overcome without going into the techanical side of things, but anyways, yes i believe personal cameras for 1st point of view would be cool and change up the camera angles every once in a while please!

#9 paintballguy2255

paintballguy2255

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:29 PM

Yeah,someone who plays or used to play will commentate much better than someone who doesn't.

#10 Panda's Revenge

Panda's Revenge

Officially Sponsored by China Ball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:32 PM

If we're gonna have an announcer, it better be Matty Marshal.
Otherwise I ain't watching shit.

#11 spisla

spisla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,192 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:37 PM

I'm sure there are other announcers that are just as good as Matty. But, if paintball ever does get back on TV, Matty should definitely be the first choice to commentate.
Posted Image

#12 crPaliza

crPaliza

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:38 PM

Add or add more hidden cameras on the bunkers and encourage players to use POV cameras for better footage/perspective of a match. Ideally, I think they should customize the masks professionals use by having the camera in the goggle like on cellphone camera's such as the 4S. :tup:

#13 Irish725

Irish725

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:41 PM

I think having an overhead camera would be good too, kind of like an eye in the sky. It would over look everything so you could see players on both sides at the same time no matter where they were hiding in their bunkers.

IrishBanner2_zps537819c4.png

Veteran of Living Legends V and VI...looking forward to LL VII! 

#14 Beastpaintball413

Beastpaintball413

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:43 PM

Does anyone remember how bad the commentators were on the espn paintball.

#15 spisla

spisla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,192 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:43 PM

Yeah, I never understood why they don't have a camera right in the center. Maybe it isn't as good as it sounds.
Posted Image

#16 Panda's Revenge

Panda's Revenge

Officially Sponsored by China Ball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:57 PM

I'm sure there are other announcers that are just as good as Matty. But, if paintball ever does get back on TV, Matty should definitely be the first choice to commentate.

Well I'm just saying as a choice, doesn't have to be him, like you said there are also good ones but he's one that's known by many Paintballers.

#17 PsychOfMSE

PsychOfMSE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:57 PM

Kind of. More like a small graphic sitting in the corner of the screen with a mini top down animated graphic of the field with circles behind each bunker with a players number inside. Display this throughout the whole match and update it real time as moves are being made. Have colored player numbers depending on which team they are on.

#18 spisla

spisla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,192 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:59 PM

Kind of. More like a small graphic sitting in the corner of the screen with a mini top down animated graphic of the field with circles behind each bunker with a players number inside. Display this throughout the whole match and update it real time as moves are being made. Have colored player numbers depending on which team they are on.

Oh, I get what you're saying. That's a really interesting idea...
Posted Image

#19 ShadowZero

ShadowZero

Karma Police

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,235 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:37 PM

Also, for the average person, it's not easy to understand penalties/how the game works. So like, a little debriefing before the match starts would help them understand.

And then, when a penalty is called, someone HAS to explain what happened. Be it playing on, wiping, spinning on someone, etc. Whichever!

I do like the bird's eye view idea.

-My YouTube (More Videos To Come Soon!)

Set-Up: Marq Rapper, Dye Rotor, Ninja 68/45

Be a Brick Wall, Don't Break Down

#20 TK-421

TK-421

Me So Horny! :D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,919 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:41 PM

Definitely need to have every player using an R7 on their feedneck or a similar camera, so that we can see things from a player's perspective. Helmets on the camera generally get blocked by the bunker or hopper and make it boring to watch. A camera attached to the feedneck and sitting above the barrel is almost never blocked. Also need the system to be setup so that the viewer can watch multiple different angles simultaneously on one screen, allowing them to watch their team's side of the field, a player cam or two, along with the whole field, so that they can see what's going on.

#21 spisla

spisla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,192 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:26 PM

Also, for the average person, it's not easy to understand penalties/how the game works. So like, a little debriefing before the match starts would help them understand.

And then, when a penalty is called, someone HAS to explain what happened. Be it playing on, wiping, spinning on someone, etc. Whichever!

Yes, even I'm lost when I see a couple flags thrown in the air, and all Matty says is that they got a minor or a major. For what?! :o
Posted Image

#22 Irish725

Irish725

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:32 PM

That would be good too. Maybe a sort of explanation of the rules at the beginning of each event like

"The game is 5 on 5, points are scored as such etc. etc."

Would make it easier to know whats going on for non players to watch and get into.

IrishBanner2_zps537819c4.png

Veteran of Living Legends V and VI...looking forward to LL VII! 

#23 LV Backpacker

LV Backpacker

Master Member

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,402 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:30 PM

Yes, even I'm lost when I see a couple flags thrown in the air, and all Matty says is that they got a minor or a major. For what?! :o

Even if they can't get what the penalty figured out during the match, I would like it if they could communicate with the referee after the point and confirm why the flag was thrown.

I also think one of those moving cameras that goes above the field like in NFL games or major college football games would be helpful. You could use it to get some very good angles and would help with following the action especially when some of the last players are in a bunker without good camera coverage.

If you want to get sponsored, present yourself as a mature adult, not a four year old with a crayon.

Posted Image
Gearbag
Feedback

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users