31 replies to this topic

#1 III Kezia III

III Kezia III

Lulzjustbeingacat :D

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:04 AM

so i'm pretty new to paintball i have been playing for a little bit from late may 2012 until now july 31st, 2012 and i absolutely love paintball and having a good time with my friends down at the local field. my question, well questions to be exact is what to do now?

i have a few things already but i need to know my next move. I'm pretty sure its going to be a hopper but i need some advice. I'm 17 years old with no job, most places i've filled applications for want me to be either 18 years old or have a high school diploma. im starting my senior year in a few weeks so I'm still a whole school year before i can get my diploma. so i am a budget baller in every aspect of the word.

here is my list of items i currently own (not in the purchase order!)
- gen X global mask (basic mask, not too worried about no thermal lens)
- paintball pants
- gen X global 3+4 pod pack
- Empire 62/3000 HPA steel/or aluminium tank(will get a carbon fiber tank later just not sure the priority of it in the items list)
- shake and shit hopper
- spyder Xtra

now I've seen mike's video about how you should get a good hopper and a HPA tank before getting a better gun but im stuck with which hopper would be good enough for a $200-mid$300 dollar price range, but still very budget baller friendly. also if you could make a simple order list of things to get with some recommendations to specific products that'd be great.

Edit: when should I replace my steely with a carbon fiber tank, I'm not sure 100% where to put it in order of importance because my thought is that as long as it is an HPA tank i should be fine and switch to the carbon tank last.

Edited by III Kezia III, 31 July 2012 - 03:06 AM.

Lulzjustacat.png

#2 ecoballer

ecoballer

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:20 AM

You can get a valken v-max or prophecy for like 50 bucks now days, im a bit of a budget baller myself. I think your okay on your tank unless the weight rly bothers you. other than that if your having fun with what you got then there is no reason to upgrade unimportant thing that will less likely effect your game play

Edited by ecoballer, 31 July 2012 - 04:22 AM.

#3 7 x

7 x

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:44 AM

A hopper for $200-300. Woah. You can get a good hopper from $75-150 max.

Also I'd recommend a new mask as well and then a 68/45. Finally upgrade your gun

#4 Woodyballer29

Woodyballer29

Brass Eagle Fanboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:51 AM

Don't get the Vmax, it sucks. It only feeds like 11 bps on average, when you get a new gun you will have to upgrade it right away. The Pinokio is good and you can normally find some stuff on the bst here or the Sale Hunter.

Edit: Oh yeah NEW mask (not used) that is a thermal lens'ed mask. Then get the new hopper then tank then gun.

Edited by Woodyballer29, 31 July 2012 - 08:52 AM.

I have and I always will be a Christian Baller.
My setup: Because I'm a bad*** Tippmann 98 custom with a shake and bake and two 20oz C02 tanks. Be jelly!

#5 III Kezia III

III Kezia III

Lulzjustbeingacat :D

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:42 PM

Edit: Oh yeah NEW mask (not used) that is a thermal lens'ed mask. Then get the new hopper then tank then gun.
[/quote]

what mask would you suggest? I know mike said something about a mask that had partial ear protection but i can't remember which mask that was, I believe it was a the regular JT flex but im not sure.

Lulzjustacat.png

#6 Woodyballer29

Woodyballer29

Brass Eagle Fanboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:45 PM

what mask would you suggest? I know mike said something about a mask that had partial ear protection but i can't remember which mask that was, I believe it was a the regular JT flex but im not sure.

The JT Proflex is lacking a bit of ear protection. Many people love their Proflex's as they are probably the best mask for the price, the downsides are that they don't have a quick change lens and the reduced ear protection. I believe if you got hard ears (don't quote me on it) they will solve the protection problem. If you have the extra money the new Empire Eflex is supposedly the best mask on the market right now.
My setup: Because I'm a bad*** Tippmann 98 custom with a shake and bake and two 20oz C02 tanks. Be jelly!

#7 DBeck

DBeck

Dem Milkshakes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:09 PM

look a the budget baller section and get the halo hopper for 40

#8 CPS

CPS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:16 PM

get a proflex 50$ 9v fasta 50$ and save for a 68/4500 ninja carbon fiber air tank 150$ and your setup will last you as long as you want.

#9 ecoballer

ecoballer

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:10 PM

Don't get the Vmax, it sucks. It only feeds like 11 bps on average, when you get a new gun you will have to upgrade it right away. The Pinokio is good and you can normally find some stuff on the bst here or the Sale Hunter.

Do you own one? cause mine feeds a consistant 15-20 bps

#10 Woodyballer29

Woodyballer29

Brass Eagle Fanboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:17 PM

Do you own one? cause mine feeds a consistant 15-20 bps

No but sticktodrum did a test on it.

#11 ecoballer

ecoballer

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:54 AM

You shouldnt base your opinions on what someone else says. I watched mikes video and he was using uncapped ramped with it, and it didnt chop a ball or anything.

Edited by ecoballer, 02 August 2012 - 12:54 AM.

#12 paint-ball-16

paint-ball-16

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:46 AM

Get a halo or a spyder fasta and get a tank then a gun i recommend crossfire or ninja. for a mask i4s or events when you want to upgrade them.

Edited by paint-ball-16, 02 August 2012 - 08:48 AM.

#13 GeoAkuna

GeoAkuna

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:42 AM

First, get a good mask. The best one you could find. I love my JT Proflexes, but you should go to a shop and try different ones on.
Second, get a Kingman Fasta. Great loaders for the price. Same internals as a super loader. Feeds a good 15 BPS with the 9v. (You rarely need 15 BPS though)
Third, save up for a 68/4500 tank. Extra air is nice, but the weight is even more beneficial.
Lastly, another marker. Once you're at the marker part, let TechPB know your price range and we'll help you out ;)

Then after all that, you could get other stuff, like another pack or something.

#14 NJC

NJC

pumper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:30 PM

best mask you can get. then get a spyder 18v fasta or if you want a superloader anything but vmax

I split my vote, half for etekgirl's body, half for her mind, because I respect a woman's mind just as much as her cans.
*Waits to get hit*

#15 ecoballer

ecoballer

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:57 PM

i dont see why everyone doesnt like the v-max

#16 EHz

EHz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:14 PM

As a budget baller in a similar situation, you have my sympathy :P V-max isn't a bad loader, nor is the V35 Halo or Invert Too. If you're really desperate, a blowback style marker can get away w/ a gravity loader since it'll shake naturally (also saves money on paint when you don't shoot as much; speaking from experience). The biggest problem w/ being on a budget is having the mentality that you need to compromise and limit what you spend; in all reality, you're just wasting more money, buying gear you won't be 100% satisfied with. When it comes to a mask especially, don't hold back. Pick what's best to protect your face, not your wallet. Everyone wants the best gear, but in all reality, it doesn't matter as long as you enjoy what you do.

#17 Woodyballer29

Woodyballer29

Brass Eagle Fanboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:08 AM

You shouldnt base your opinions on what someone else says. I watched mikes video and he was using uncapped ramped with it, and it didnt chop a ball or anything.

I wasn't basing it off of what somebody else says, I was basing it off of facts. Just because he put it in uncapped ramp doesn't mean it will chop balls because it can't feed fast enough, in fact Sticktodrum put the Clone in uncapped ramp I believe. But it didn't chop any balls because the eyes prevented it.

First, get a good mask. The best one you could find. I love my JT Proflexes, but you should go to a shop and try different ones on.
Second, get a Kingman Fasta. Great loaders for the price. Same internals as a super loader. Feeds a good 15 BPS with the 9v. (You rarely need 15 BPS though)
Third, save up for a 68/4500 tank. Extra air is nice, but the weight is even more beneficial.
Lastly, another marker. Once you're at the marker part, let TechPB know your price range and we'll help you out ;)

Then after all that, you could get other stuff, like another pack or something.

Do you know how to remedy the ear protection on the proflex's?

#18 Jarz

Jarz

Workin' that post count back up...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,917 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:25 AM

I would spend money and get a good mask first. Don't be afraid to spend $100-ish on a mask; it's the most important piece of equipment you'll use. After that, I'd get a new hopper; I personally loved my Invert TOO. It's $75 and will work on any marker you get. After that, you can upgrade you're tank to a carbon fiber one. Finally, you can get yourself a better marker.
Posted Image

#19 Dragonrain

Dragonrain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:22 PM

In all reality, with $300 you can buy a good tank, good mask, good hopper, good pod pack. That is, if you can consider getting some used but good equipment.
New Pro axis- $80
Used 68/4500 tank- $100
Used halo, invert too - $45-$50
New pod pack-$25-$40
For a total of around $250-$270

In my opinion, since it is your first 'real' equipment, it's best not to buy all new, many times you'll end up paying too much for something you won't like later on, best just buy as cheap as possible, just as long as everything is in working condition.

#20 iKickYellow

iKickYellow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:34 PM

Well the list in order in my opinion would be:
1. Hopper
2. CF tank
A. 3. Thermal lens for mask
B. 3. New gun

For now i guess that's all you'll need for a while. I chose the hopper first because you'll need it for sure in the near future. You should get a used halo if you don't mind a crack here or there. A carbon fiber tank next because you'r going to get it at some point anyway. You could get a nice one from swapmytank.com and just swap your old one and get a discount on a new carbon fiber one. Basically what i'm trying to get at is upgrade everything except your gun for now, so when you get your gun you can focus on that instead of everything else. Now if you'r really not that worried about your mask like you said fogging you can get a new gun first and see how it goes from there. As for the new gun, by the time you get all your other gear you will somehow found money or worked for it and can sell your old one to get a new extcy, rail, envy, etc. Really the ones people argue over most is where you want to be looking. If you want to go anywhere from their either put ups in the gun like a new board or just sell it and get a mid end or a used high end. But after that definitely get a thermal mask, you never know when it'll fog or not.
Sorry for the long reply, but i hope you find what your looking for.

#21 Dragon1291

Dragon1291

Dragon1291

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:50 PM

In Order:
1) Get a better mask. Something comfortable. Won't suggest anything since everyone has a different head and different definitions of "Comfort" Go to your local field and try some on.

2) Get a nice hopper. Something that you'll be comfortable using and loads well.

^^^ Two most important things to get IMO since they will last you for the rest of your paintball career (For the most part)

You can get a Carbon Fiber tank but if you're happy with what you have, then stick with it.

Save money to just be able to play during the school year.

You'll be entering college soon. I wouldn't really want to buy a Carbon Fiber tank to only use it a few times before I hit college and not use it for 4 years and need to get it rehydroed when I graduate.

#22 newmz94

newmz94

Paintballs are my shampoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:27 PM

this.
I won one so i didnt BUY it. but i did test it. Its an Ok loader. not worth 17 dollars
Heres how i tested
>took a pod
> Put in hopper
> timed it
>divided by 140
this is only an estimate because the pod could have had like 130 or 120 balls

Edited by newmz94, 12 August 2012 - 04:28 PM.

The_Economist, on 22 Apr 2013 - 11:56 AM, said:snapback.png

Bacause you have to point your gun at the sky whenever you reload. Just like you have to press your back flat against any kind of cover you may be using, and you have to lift your mask whenever you have something important to say, even if you are under fire from the other team.

Sheesh, what kind of paintball have you been playing?

#23 Jake Guzman

Jake Guzman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:29 PM

Budget tank 5 year hydro on it. 110 with shipping :)

EDIT: http://shop.swapmyta...bished-0047.htm I forgot the link. Probably helps

Edited by Jake Guzman, 12 August 2012 - 05:32 PM.

#24 OBF

OBF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:04 AM

i dont see why everyone doesnt like the v-max

I don't know how you got yours to feed consistent, or even above like 11-12 bps, but mine was absolute dogshit.

My feedback: http://www.techpb.co...331&hl=feedback

10/0/0

#25 Space-Invader

Space-Invader

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 01:24 AM

Yea by the time I watched mikes budget baller video I had screwed the order of everything up lol but for a hopper I know u can get a brand new halo(in the sale hunter forum) for 40 bucks (feeds 22bps) and those last a while, after that I'd invest in a mask right away, if u don't feel like saving 100 bucks for a high end mask just get some jt proflexes off ansgear for 65 bucks and those look badass and are really good, after those 2 things I'd save for a liitle while until u have like 150 bucks or so and then sell ur spyder for some extra cash and pick up a used vibe or maybe an envy if u have the money((slg's are great too if you can find one)) (NO IONS) then the tank is next...it's a killer to the wallet but it's a necessity, if u can find a used tank still in hydro I'd go for that but brand new I'd head over to critical pb dot com and their 68/4500 are $120 new so not that bad...hopes this helps some
Proud Christian Baller- Phillipians 4:13
Soccer and Paintball are BANGIN like a BISQUIT
Reppin for the Dope Fresh Nation SAAN!
The one and only Shadow Alchemist - *FMA*

#26 Spyrothedragon9972

Spyrothedragon9972

Puerto Rican paintballer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:48 PM

so i'm pretty new to paintball i have been playing for a little bit from late may 2012 until now july 31st, 2012 and i absolutely love paintball and having a good time with my friends down at the local field. my question, well questions to be exact is what to do now?

i have a few things already but i need to know my next move. I'm pretty sure its going to be a hopper but i need some advice. I'm 17 years old with no job, most places i've filled applications for want me to be either 18 years old or have a high school diploma. im starting my senior year in a few weeks so I'm still a whole school year before i can get my diploma. so i am a budget baller in every aspect of the word.

here is my list of items i currently own (not in the purchase order!)
- gen X global mask (basic mask, not too worried about no thermal lens)
- paintball pants
- gen X global 3+4 pod pack
- Empire 62/3000 HPA steel/or aluminium tank(will get a carbon fiber tank later just not sure the priority of it in the items list)
- shake and shit hopper
- spyder Xtra

now I've seen mike's video about how you should get a good hopper and a HPA tank before getting a better gun but im stuck with which hopper would be good enough for a $200-mid$300 dollar price range, but still very budget baller friendly. also if you could make a simple order list of things to get with some recommendations to specific products that'd be great.

Edit: when should I replace my steely with a carbon fiber tank, I'm not sure 100% where to put it in order of importance because my thought is that as long as it is an HPA tank i should be fine and switch to the carbon tank last.

This made me laugh so much!
Posted Image

#27 Silyputy

Silyputy

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:06 PM

The JT Proflex is lacking a bit of ear protection. Many people love their Proflex's as they are probably the best mask for the price, the downsides are that they don't have a quick change lens and the reduced ear protection. I believe if you got hard ears (don't quote me on it) they will solve the protection problem. If you have the extra money the new Empire Eflex is supposedly the best mask on the market right now.

thats the fight the proflex dosent cover your ears the i4's don't cover your forehead but i have i4's and they cover everything but. and also when i talk you can see my chin. but if im going to get hit in the chin id rather the chin then my neck lol.

If they talk shit, make them eat it.

#28 NJC

NJC

pumper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:37 PM

better mask

I split my vote, half for etekgirl's body, half for her mind, because I respect a woman's mind just as much as her cans.
*Waits to get hit*

#29 thetinman

thetinman

thetinman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:58 PM

I have a vforce profiler for my mask. I love it. Really comfy and love the quick change lense. $75 is a bit much but I love it

#30 1xfactorx1

1xfactorx1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:12 PM

Here is what i reccommend. get a better mask(I love the profilers). I have used that GXG mask and it is the dumps. Next move is to scour craigslist, or BST for a loader. you could probably pick up a halo TOO or reloader B for around 35$. If your field doesnt fill to 4500 then stick with your steelie (for now). Then what I would do is look for an older mid-high end marker on the sources i mentioned earlier.

#31 NTP117

NTP117

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:39 PM

1. New Hopper (Invert Halo Too or some Halo hopper)
2. New mask (I suggest the V-Force line, I own the profilers, or i4 if your willing to save up a lot)
3. CF tank (Ninja used)
4. New gun (Not sure on your future price range!!)

#32 Stecky

Stecky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:33 PM

For a hopper if you have the little extra money go for a Invert Too by far one of the best loaders for its price range, and you can keep using it on up to high end guns.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users