• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Manley

Manley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:26 PM

I'm probably going to do a really cheap computer build, as in a windows copy will probably take up half the budget. So I'm looking into linux as the perfect solution to my problems. So I'm just curious how the interface matches up to windows, specifically the ubuntu interface. Also how effective is wine at being able to play games and will it still be able to support mods similarly to a windows computer for a game such as fallout 3? I consider myself a rather quick learner so hopefully it shouldn't be anything I can't handle.

#2 Steephill

Steephill

Dota 2 > Life itself

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:31 AM

Ubuntu totally screwed it up with the new interface imo. Yes I know you can turn it off and such but it's annoying. I used to have a laptop dualbooted to ubuntu and win7 but switched it over to Mint and Win7. Ended up giving the laptop to my mom so the linux partition went. You know what...I'm going to go install mint on a SSD I have laying around lol. Anyways I never had much luck with wine, of course I was trying it a year ago and I didnt have much computer knowledge then. I also didnt have anyone guiding me, but Wine is supposedly supposed to work pretty good.

My Feedback +14/-0

`kook 2/1/12 "The gold standard isn't what is most popular. By that logic, Justin Beiber is the gold standard of music."

#3 Manley

Manley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:08 AM

Thanks for the info, going to have to look into mint.

#4 Sasquatch

Sasquatch

Uhhh.. I bought another gun..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,469 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:05 PM

Ubuntu is a great everyday user OS. Wine is a great "I would rather tinker with these settings in order to get the game running than actually play the game" software. In other words, Wine sucks.

Even after a couple of days tinkering with my Ubuntu/Wine install to get Steam set up properly, it required more tinkering to get Counterstrike running. And even more tinkering to get Diablo 2 running. And even more tinke.. You know what? I think you get the picture. Suffice to say that I didn't like it.

If you want to play games on a budget computer, use Win XP on some bargain bin parts, and "acquire" some previous generation games like Far Cry, Morrowind, Half Life, Unreal Tournament 2k4, etc, etc. You will thank yourself later.

I will laugh as they overwhelm our enemies in a flurry of spotted banana hammocks.

Sasquatch's BST Feedback Thread
Check out my Ebay sales!

#5 Manley

Manley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:21 PM

The thing is, I actually want that challenge of tinkering. I have my main computer for games, just want the linux build to handle a little bit to keep my brothers off my computer more often. Also, if I find it near impossible to use wine, no big deal. It's main purpose is general computing.

#6 Stix

Stix

TechPB Lurker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:34 AM

Then go with Ubuntu, or OpenSuse. Or a KDE based OS if that's your cup of tea. (personally I don't care to much for KDE)
xfire-stix9693
Ps3 - SLYGATHOR (LittleBigPlanet, Burnout Paradise, Team Fortress2, Killzone 2)
Wii - 5318 0896 2208 0310
Steam - slygathore
Building a computer is like playing with Legos, the pieces only fit one way
Posted Image

#7 cpuwhiz22

cpuwhiz22

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:23 PM

I have been a Linux user and administrator for 10 or so years. The best thing about it is that there is tons of help via forums, IRC, and newgroups, so you will rarely ever find yourself without help. I personally am not a fan of the Debian based distros, so I am not very fond of Ubuntu and whatnot, but for someone with no Linux experience I have seen many people get going without problems with Mint and Ubuntu.

Personally, I would never recommend putting Linux on a machine you intend to be a gaming rig. You will almost always have issues playing games through any sort of emulation like Wine, however Valve has been a huge supporter of getting games to Linux, and Steam runs in Linux. The other thing to consider is hardware support. A lot of times you will find that cutting edge gaming video cards don't always work so well in Linux.

If you have any questions you can feel free to PM me, or visit my new forum that I launched a couple months ago with some of my Linux admin buddies. The forum is new, so doesn't have much content or members yet, but we are hoping to one day grow it into a resource for all likes of Linux users and admins. The site is:

linuxrockstars.com

All of the members there I know personally, and they are all great people and very knowledgeable admins.

Good luck!

#8 Manley

Manley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:44 PM

Thanks for the info cpuwhiz and I will have to take a look at your forum. With the budget I plan on building this machine it is not going to be anything close to cutting edge. Also as far as hardware support goes it seems that an intel/nvidia combo is best.
I may have to post pone this project for a bit unfortunately. My mind has been getting destroyed by my AP classes.

#9 Blade of grass

Blade of grass

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:21 PM

How do you build a $200 computer?

all my legos are stored at my parents hose... so that wont be happening....

48fhih.png

#10 EHz

EHz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:26 PM

^the same way the manufacturers do it. Don't use premium parts.
Aside from that, Ubuntu is nice if all you do is serf the web and use open source software.Other than that it is a pain in the rear if you don't have the time to tinker with the settings.

#11 `kook

`kook

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:15 PM

I hear windows 7 can be found places where sea bandits find refuge..
It's all about the game and how you play it, All about control and if you can take it
All about your debt and if you can pay it, It's all about pain and who's gonna make it

#12 iKickYellow

iKickYellow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:25 AM

I used to use backtrack for neighbors wep wifi. But those days are over now....

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users