20 replies to this topic

#1 Sleven

Sleven

Sophomore Member

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:26 PM

Here the deal, I started playing paintball a while back and was always told to avoid dry firing and it was bad for the marker. So until recently I have always bought used guns and never needed to worry about breaking in a marker, therefore I have recently purchased a brand new in box Dye NT11 and I wanted to see if i can break it in with dry firing so that i can go through the breaking in process faster. In my mind i can't think of a reason other than wear on o rings from dry firing, but maybe somebody knows if dry firing is actually bad for a marker. So is dry firing really that bad for a marker and would this be a good way to break in a new marker. Thank you.

GEO 3 and BL Ripper http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=220270

Bob Long MVP http://www.techpb.co...71#entry3245977

UNDERTAKERS PAINTBALL INC.

www.undertakerspaintball.com

#2 WiscoBaller

WiscoBaller

Master Member

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:34 PM

It is worse for poppits than for spoolies, but I would recommend against it. Go grab a cheap case from walmart and run it in your backyard to save the bolt. Think of it like a bow, you can dry fire them, and an arrow weighs almost nothing, but dry firing a bow can break the limbs because the bow is built to send a projectile towards a target, same as a paintball marker

University of Wisconsin Whitewater Paintball Club
Sponsored by KEE, H2 Paintball, Empire
The Hooligans Paintball Team
Bob Long Victory Ripper Dye Rotor Dye Throttle 70/4500
Bob Long Ripper FST

#3 paintbrawler_tman

paintbrawler_tman

Fly Like A G6R

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:48 AM

na ur cool dude dry firing isnt bad for your marker. its so dramatically different from firing a bow that I wont even go there lol.

Sponsored by ansgear, Macddev, KM straps, pbfashion, Valken, SLY Equipment.
Feedback

#4 Dak-Attack

Dak-Attack

Likes Puppies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:18 AM

Not really. Just one less shot you get, but a gun will last you awhile if you take care of it.

#5 Troy

Troy

What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:48 AM

Here the deal, I started playing paintball a while back and was always told to avoid dry firing and it was bad for the marker. So until recently I have always bought used guns and never needed to worry about breaking in a marker, therefore I have recently purchased a brand new in box Dye NT11 and I wanted to see if i can break it in with dry firing so that i can go through the breaking in process faster. In my mind i can't think of a reason other than wear on o rings from dry firing, but maybe somebody knows if dry firing is actually bad for a marker. So is dry firing really that bad for a marker and would this be a good way to break in a new marker. Thank you.

Jack Woods says "no," case closed! :D

Avoid it. Shooting once or twice to make sure your marker is working and gassed up is one thing, but trying to break in your marker without paint is a bad idea.

Everything moves faster when dry firing, your bolt slams harder against the stops, there's no back pressure aiding to close valves when they should, etc. I agree with the guy above that said to just buy a case or two of paint from wallmart, or a pod full of reballs and run it through your marker.
\m/

#6 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,105 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:37 AM

we have a couple of tests on this, sadly punworkspaintball.com is down right now.

break in occurs in the first 500 shots
dry firing is not the same as normal shooting, i don't think its really dangerous, but it is different forces your putting on the internals.
The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

And yes, Gordon is the sexiest manifestation of "to the front."

#7 Sleven

Sleven

Sophomore Member

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:30 PM

Thank you all for the advice and explanations. I guess i will have to shoot people with paint then. As for Walmart idea i wish i could but I think I live in the only city without a Walmart.

#8 picaboo8

picaboo8

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:38 PM

Thank you all for the advice and explanations. I guess i will have to shoot people with paint then. As for Walmart idea i wish i could but I think I live in the only city without a Walmart.

sports authority or dicks sportings good, gander mountain, cabealas, bass pro shops?

#9 Troy

Troy

What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:06 PM

sports authority or dicks sportings good, gander mountain, cabealas, bass pro shops?

Academy...
\m/

#10 WiscoBaller

WiscoBaller

Master Member

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:28 PM

new york city doesnt have a walmart?

University of Wisconsin Whitewater Paintball Club
Sponsored by KEE, H2 Paintball, Empire
The Hooligans Paintball Team
Bob Long Victory Ripper Dye Rotor Dye Throttle 70/4500
Bob Long Ripper FST

#11 REDCOBRA

REDCOBRA

wow such paintball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:50 PM

new york city doesnt have a walmart?

i went to NYC this year and i never saw a walmart. i think its because walmarts need to have a big lot and that is hard to have there.

Posted Image

#12 Sleven

Sleven

Sophomore Member

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:04 PM

A few years ago the CEO of Walmart felt that NYC is not worth opening a store in, I normally buy my paint from the paintball field or from Stingray OPS in Brooklyn and shoot in the back of that shop

#13 cabs72

cabs72

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:25 AM

we have a couple of tests on this, sadly punworkspaintball.com is down right now.

dry firing is not the same as normal shooting, i don't think its really dangerous, but it is different forces your putting on the internals.

does this 500 shot count apply to all guns, spools and poppets? I saw you guys came up with this number testing on a G6R. Im curious about a Clone GT. And also how does this number apply *if at all* to different types of orings? (buna, polyurethane, viton)

thanks,
Al

Edited by cabs72, 07 September 2012 - 07:28 AM.

#14 Egomaniacal

Egomaniacal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:26 PM

Well really when you "break a marker in" you're doing two things.

1.) You're slightly wearing down the o-rings
2.) You're slightly wearing down the surface the o-ring travels on

Spool vs. Poppet doesn't really matter, since each o-ring in the system is getting the same number of cycles.

As for it being not as bad on spool valved markers, the "backpressure" generated by the paintball actually cushions the motion of the bolt in most spool valved markers. Obviously this varies from marker to marker - for example the effect is significant for something like a Matrix, but not so much for something like a hollowpoint Ion which has a bumper built in.

Might as well make a list:

Significant:
PMR
Ion (stock and similar)
Matrix

Not significant:
Shocker/Luxe
Ion (hollowpoint)
DP spools

Regardless of all this, it's bad for your detents, almost no matter what you shoot.
eiπ = − 1

#15 tyronejk

tyronejk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:59 PM

Just learned this recently, but dry-firing a Marq can blow out the pillow bolt. Not sure about Intimidators, though, now that I think about it.

#16 madsnipes

madsnipes

Jailbot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:19 PM

Just learned this recently, but dry-firing a Marq can blow out the pillow bolt. Not sure about Intimidators, though, now that I think about it.

it is the same for intimidators. it is the reason why i have no pillow bolt

#17 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,105 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:31 PM

does this 500 shot count apply to all guns, spools and poppets? I saw you guys came up with this number testing on a G6R. Im curious about a Clone GT. And also how does this number apply *if at all* to different types of orings? (buna, polyurethane, viton)

thanks,
Al

that was both with the g6 and the NT.

i wouldn't take that number has rock solid fact, i could be off by as much as much as 100% depending on gun design. but the point is, its not 10-100 cases to wear a gun in. its during the first day of play no doubt.
The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

And yes, Gordon is the sexiest manifestation of "to the front."

#18 cabs72

cabs72

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:27 PM

Thanks for the reply, I always assumed that the "10 case rule" was a little out there, just never had the data to back me up.. Your work is appreciated!

#19 misterkyle

misterkyle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:20 PM

Thanks for the reply, I always assumed that the "10 case rule" was a little out there, just never had the data to back me up.. Your work is appreciated!

don't even worry about breaking it in, the difference is soooooo marginal

#20 cabs72

cabs72

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:53 AM

im not really worried about it, so to say, i was more curious than anything. i dont play as much as i used to so its not all that important to me. :tup:

#21 brycelarson

brycelarson

Show me the Data!

• 8,586 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:35 PM

http://www.punkworks...x.php?p=7&id=45

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users