• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 K1NGofTH3farW3ST

K1NGofTH3farW3ST

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:54 PM

How does sponsorship go down? we play local d3 and are pretty good for being 16/20/22. I know empire and ansgear has a big precent of money set aside for sponsorship, but how about local shops, fields, but what can we expect to get out of it?

#2 CPS

CPS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:56 PM

discounts

#3 pb=life

pb=life

I like penguins

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,135 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:53 PM

If you're lucky a small discount may be given. From what I've heard not even D1 teams get free gear. I could and probably am mistaken though. Just talk to your local shops and such, it differs from buisness to buisness.

#4 REDCOBRA

REDCOBRA

wow such paintball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:01 AM

you will probably only get ~10% discount from most sponsors

Posted Image

#5 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • 13,790 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:55 PM

From what I hear field sponsorships are the best. You usually get free entry and air, and paint for what the field gets it at. But you are also expected to ref occasionally.
Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#6 NJC

NJC

pumper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:27 PM

start with a field sponsorship, which normally get's you free entry, air and discounts. company sponsorships normally get you 20% discount and maybe a free T shirt or hat

I split my vote, half for etekgirl's body, half for her mind, because I respect a woman's mind just as much as her cans.
*Waits to get hit*

#7 DivineRampage

DivineRampage

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:23 PM

Sponsorship works like this, at first they give you a lil discount, 10 on large ticket items, 20 percent on smaller items. But you are expected to represent their company well, and get them known, and help get sales. once you start making improvments, winning, and helping them out, proving yourself too them they will gradually increase your incentive.

#8 MrBk

MrBk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:27 PM

Pretty much what everyone else said we have a couple of sponsors (1 store 1 online store 1 field), and the field is proving to be the best so far. The field usually charges ridiculous prices but now we get cases for less then half price. The store sponsors aren't bad if your looking to save a few bucks we've gotten some gats with $50 discount. Don't expect to much just be happy you got it and that you can save a few buck here and there
Nassagaweya Assault Unit #88 "The Pianist"

"Rape and Pillage My Friend, Rape and PIillage" -Bush

Sponsors: ANS gear Paintball HQ Ultimate Paintball Virtue

#9 crich775

crich775

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:48 PM

Your a local D3 team, a small discount may happen, back in the day we refereed and did field work in exchange for free field fee's and paint at cost.
Rest In Peace Jacob Espindola 1-12-07
OEF Vet 2011-2012, Combat Infantryman Badge Recipient

#10 BRUTE

BRUTE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:02 PM

It all depends on the shop/company. D1 teams do get free gear but that depends on their sponsor. and its never anything too big. maybe they get a free loader or something. but not like a new marker. I'm pritty sure only pro teams get free markers.
#63 on the roster #1 in your heart!!

#11 BRUTE

BRUTE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:07 PM

And my teams sponsorship is by a shop that is no were near our local field. so before events he calls and pays half of our paint cost per case. so if we need lets say 10 cases at $45 a case thats $450 for an event well he will pay half that. so we only pay $225 of it. i have only gotten one free item from him and it was a detent. lol
#63 on the roster #1 in your heart!!

#12 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • 11,446 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:28 PM

sponsorship is alot easier to understand, if you just use the words "group discount"

#13 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,509 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:26 AM

First after mike! This account is now legit. No but our team is sponsored by our local pro shop, and we just get bulk paint discounts and whenever we buy their jerseys and pants in a team set, they give us like a small discount. That is all. No free stuff here.
EDIT:
And the sponsors do expect us to represent them well. I have yet to be in a *legitimate* tourny as we're practicing for the 2013 season, but they shipped me a small box full of their stickers and such to put on it.

Edited by MangoPhett, 05 December 2012 - 08:01 PM.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#14 Pump Player

Pump Player

Voted techpb's #1 sloth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • Location:Lutz fl, blitzkrieg paintball, orbital paintball, central Florida paintball

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:03 PM

Alien Paintball has an amazing sponsorship, local teams can get 20 percent discounts

2011 proto rail + Pinokio! --- http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=222130

#15 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,147 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:19 PM

Alien Paintball has an amazing sponsorship, local teams can get 20 percent discounts

That is pretty much what you will get from most companies. Not really "amazing".

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

#16 Darthdoug

Darthdoug

Playing for CRU LT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:46 PM

As people have said, as a starting team you will get discounts. Something that still lets them make money but helps you out. 10-20% discounts are normal. FIELD sponsorships are key here because a field can give you some very nice discounts and still make a profit. If they allow you to play, get air, and practice for free and give you a small discount on paint that's a huge savings to you and they can still make money. Everyone wins. If you as a team promise (and carry through) to help around the field, ref, clean, whatever they might need, then you'll likely get an even better deal.

The only way sponsorships get better than that is if you offer your sponsor something. Do you get written up in national magazines and do you mention your sponsors? Do you show up at national events, hang your sponsors banners, and talk them up? If you do these kinds of things and do well... both winning AND getting a good reputation... then you may get more. This is normally for D1 teams (great deals) and pro teams (now you can think about free stuff).

There are exceptions to this, where a certain sponsor may give you a really great deal on a product they are really trying to push or introduce, but don't expect to find that often.

Until you are WINNING at the D1 level... as Mike said... think of sponsorship as group discounts for your advertisement of your sponsor. Fields are the best sponsors out there for divisional teams. Talk to field owners, work with them, see what can be done. Support your local fields.
Doug

I play for Cru Paintball
My Team is Cru LT

#17 Jack Rice

Jack Rice

President, Alien Paintball

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:16 AM

Thanks and all... but... none of the "teams" that have gotten gun for the last 6 months have received less than a 30% discount. Considering the already low, low price, and the SMC valve, and the Virtue board, and the efficiency, and the low LPR pressure, and the low maintenance and the.....
I think amazing is an understatement
But then I may not be the most objective one on that Posted Image

The most thoughtfully made guns - not the most expensive!

#18 Kirko017

Kirko017

Say no to drugs!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:55 AM

Thanks and all... but... none of the "teams" that have gotten gun for the last 6 months have received less than a 30% discount. Considering the already low, low price, and the SMC valve, and the Virtue board, and the efficiency, and the low LPR pressure, and the low maintenance and the.....
I think amazing is an understatement
But then I may not be the most objective one on that Posted Image

Hm, what. That's it? I was expecting more... :P

I like team discounts, it does help teams out to save a buck, plus you look more legit and like a team using the same gear, plus other benefits like everyone knowing the equipment so you can use a teammates setup and be more comfortable with it while playing etc etc.. But it does hurt stores/fields when your team is able to go directly to the manufacture and get it at a prices the dealers get the gear for and even sometimes a better deal.. That's why some stores/fields don't care much for some local teams/manufactures who don't go through them. Just something to think about. You might save a few extra bucks on that one order of equipment because you are not going through a dealer, but you're also not supporting your local paintball dealers, not helping them stay in business nor creating a good relationship with them, which is typically where you play and shop buy from... Nothing worse than showing up to a field and not feeling as welcomed as you would like

Edited by Kirko017, 13 December 2012 - 11:01 AM.

Kent State University Paintball Club
The University of Akron Paintball Club

Eminence

#19 Jack Rice

Jack Rice

President, Alien Paintball

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:55 AM

Nothing worse than showing up to a field and not feeling as welcomed as you would like

Old School was that car dealers made a big deal about those that bought cars from them, special lines for service and extra benefits. Then they figured out that many more in the service department didn't buy from them than had bought from them AND they made more $ from the service than they did the sales - so they stopped insulting the bigger income source.If a store or field is giving a team an unwelcome feeling because they didn't buy from them - they don't understand where their income comes from. No one is everything to all. The big guys have decided they want the multi-player packages and will give deals (sponsorships discounts) to get them. That has nothing to do with me.

That doesn't mean that a store can't let players know that they get bigger discounts or whatever for those that buy, but at some point it's trading dollars, and stores/fields have to accept that "sponsorship" means that in order to get teams to buy from them, it has been decided to give teams the biggest discounts possible. That means the profit margin for dealers has been included in the discount. Again, has nothing to do with me. This has been happening more, and more, and I too am hard pressed to keep up with the discounts because my guns are already priced with less markup than others. While it would seem that stores get less profit - that is because teams pay less profit overall, paying less profit to buy guns - or whatever - that should leave more money available for paint, accessories and individual items with their associated profits.

Edited by Jack Rice, 13 December 2012 - 11:56 AM.

The most thoughtfully made guns - not the most expensive!

#20 cybermaniac15

cybermaniac15

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,450 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:13 PM

Nothing worse than showing up to a field and not feeling as welcomed as you would like

Old School was that car dealers made a big deal about those that bought cars from them, special lines for service and extra benefits. Then they figured out that many more in the service department didn't buy from them than had bought from them AND they made more $ from the service than they did the sales - so they stopped insulting the bigger income source.If a store or field is giving a team an unwelcome feeling because they didn't buy from them - they don't understand where their income comes from. No one is everything to all. The big guys have decided they want the multi-player packages and will give deals (sponsorships discounts) to get them. That has nothing to do with me.

That doesn't mean that a store can't let players know that they get bigger discounts or whatever for those that buy, but at some point it's trading dollars, and stores/fields have to accept that "sponsorship" means that in order to get teams to buy from them, it has been decided to give teams the biggest discounts possible. That means the profit margin for dealers has been included in the discount. Again, has nothing to do with me. This has been happening more, and more, and I too am hard pressed to keep up with the discounts because my guns are already priced with less markup than others. While it would seem that stores get less profit - that is because teams pay less profit overall, paying less profit to buy guns - or whatever - that should leave more money available for paint, accessories and individual items with their associated profits.

:tup:

#21 Kirko017

Kirko017

Say no to drugs!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:10 PM

I know how it works. Technically it should pan out for the better, does it though, not really...

As a team, right now. I can go get a discount for every piece of equipment from manufacturers completely eliminating dealers for all of my equipment needs. And for the most part at practically the price most dealers are paying at wholesale. And in some instances getting better deals, to where the dealers can't even offer a package discount without taking a loss or they do not even make a margin off it worth their time, they could easily make more begging off the street..

After I get all of team discounted equipment through package deals from manufactures, the only service I bring dealers(only fields at this point) is my purchasing of paint and only because they made themselves a field paint only field, otherwise I wouldn't even need to get the paint from them. And the entry/air fee to the fields... And the kids don't spend the money they save on those package deals on more paintballs, they spend it on more chewing gun, soda, and fast food. Fields are not seeing that extra cash those kids saved off the purchase via the player package. And there really are no more accessories needed for markers aside from like an on/off ASA, or Barrel. And those really aren't even necessary these days. This isn't back in the day. where you're markers didn't come with ASAs, hoses, fittings, etc. And where markers needed aftermarket upgrades.. Not to mention the main players getting these package deals are the speedballers, the most expensive group for fields to cater too...

I am sure plenty of stores/fields know they need to offer "sponsorships" to teams to get them to buy from them.. But it is hard for them to when they are unable to keep up with manufacturers offering equal and better deals than fields and stores can. And I am sure they do not want to openly offer every single group of kids a team discount when they walk in and kill their already poor margins.

Car dealerships make most of their money on repair services and part sales, but it doesn't mean they don't like to make the money from selling cars as well. I know this is a free market and all, well aware of that and how it works. But not too many other industries and companies I know do "deals" for non-dealers these days.

All of that aside, all I was suggesting was for people to buy their team discounts via their local dealer. They might not save quite as much money sometimes. But it's going to put a couple dollars in their dealers pockets. And make for a good relationship between their local fields/stores.
I don't know about you guys, but if you've ever worked somewhere and you have a regular customer that comes in, and you treat him well and are especially polite to him because he comes in all the time. Then he doesn't come around for a little, then he comes in with your competitor's shirt on or you just know he's been going there or something, it puts a sour taste in your mouth. And you know damn well you still have to provide a good service for them to try and keep their business, but you clearly don't provide him with the best service as possible because of it. And maybe it is the other way around and you were that customer before... And in case you haven't, it's like finding your girl has been talking to another guy behind your back, even if it was just as "friends"... It puts a sour taste in your mouth.. Maybe not as dramatic, but hopefully you get the idea... People get butt hurt in life over that stuff. Keep a good relationship with your local fields and stores. It'll lead to a better experience overall.

And check out Jack's guns, they are in fact priced well, but just get it through your local dealer, I know they will appreciate your business ;)

Edited by Kirko017, 13 December 2012 - 01:19 PM.

Eminence

#22 MrBk

MrBk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:04 PM

I know how it works. Technically it should pan out for the better, does it though, not really...

As a team, right now. I can go get a discount for every piece of equipment from manufacturers completely eliminating dealers for all of my equipment needs. And for the most part at practically the price most dealers are paying at wholesale. And in some instances getting better deals, to where the dealers can't even offer a package discount without taking a loss or they do not even make a margin off it worth their time, they could easily make more begging off the street..

After I get all of team discounted equipment through package deals from manufactures, the only service I bring dealers(only fields at this point) is my purchasing of paint and only because they made themselves a field paint only field, otherwise I wouldn't even need to get the paint from them. And the entry/air fee to the fields... And the kids don't spend the money they save on those package deals on more paintballs, they spend it on more chewing gun, soda, and fast food. Fields are not seeing that extra cash those kids saved off the purchase via the player package. And there really are no more accessories needed for markers aside from like an on/off ASA, or Barrel. And those really aren't even necessary these days. This isn't back in the day. where you're markers didn't come with ASAs, hoses, fittings, etc. And where markers needed aftermarket upgrades.. Not to mention the main players getting these package deals are the speedballers, the most expensive group for fields to cater too...

I am sure plenty of stores/fields know they need to offer "sponsorships" to teams to get them to buy from them.. But it is hard for them to when they are unable to keep up with manufacturers offering equal and better deals than fields and stores can. And I am sure they do not want to openly offer every single group of kids a team discount when they walk in and kill their already poor margins.

Car dealerships make most of their money on repair services and part sales, but it doesn't mean they don't like to make the money from selling cars as well. I know this is a free market and all, well aware of that and how it works. But not too many other industries and companies I know do "deals" for non-dealers these days.

All of that aside, all I was suggesting was for people to buy their team discounts via their local dealer. They might not save quite as much money sometimes. But it's going to put a couple dollars in their dealers pockets. And make for a good relationship between their local fields/stores.
I don't know about you guys, but if you've ever worked somewhere and you have a regular customer that comes in, and you treat him well and are especially polite to him because he comes in all the time. Then he doesn't come around for a little, then he comes in with your competitor's shirt on or you just know he's been going there or something, it puts a sour taste in your mouth. And you know damn well you still have to provide a good service for them to try and keep their business, but you clearly don't provide him with the best service as possible because of it. And maybe it is the other way around and you were that customer before... And in case you haven't, it's like finding your girl has been talking to another guy behind your back, even if it was just as "friends"... It puts a sour taste in your mouth.. Maybe not as dramatic, but hopefully you get the idea... People get butt hurt in life over that stuff. Keep a good relationship with your local fields and stores. It'll lead to a better experience overall.

And check out Jack's guns, they are in fact priced well, but just get it through your local dealer, I know they will appreciate your business ;)

You seem to be missing the fact that not all fields are also proshops, so sponsored by the home field I know how this works in a way our sponsorship works that if we play speedball there we set-up take down and clean and what not we get price at what he pays for it, now since we are expected to help ref (2 people on the teams were refs pre-sponsorship) if we go on for a normal walk on day we get paint at ref price (they still make a profit off of it) and I personally bring 3-4 friends each time we go for normal walk on days which they get price at full price and pay entrance so I am doing my part there

Pro shops which we also have a sponsor for is pretty much were we get all of our stuff not every D5 team (pretty much were we are at ESPL in Canada) has a gun hopper mask tank sponsor etc. so we recently got virtue :D but that's a hopper now I need a gun tank and mask before I even think about playing what else might I need that virtue doesn't have elbow pads, slider shorts, head bands, pants, cleats, pod pack, pods, caddy, and in some cases for outlaw ball in a friends backyard paint so even though it might seem like we are hurting them think about how many companies are gonna sponsor a D5 team or how you can get a team to all shoot the same marker
Nassagaweya Assault Unit #88 "The Pianist"

"Rape and Pillage My Friend, Rape and PIillage" -Bush

Sponsors: ANS gear Paintball HQ Ultimate Paintball Virtue

#23 Bush

Bush

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:14 PM

and I personally bring 3-4 friends each time we go for normal walk on days which they get price at full price and pay entrance so I am doing my part there

Liessssssss!

#24 dertydood

dertydood

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:38 PM

The way the question is worded makes it sound like sponsorship is like a drug deal.

But, that's besides the point...

Basic sponsorships usually are obtained through contacting the company either through their website or the mail. Compile a list of details on all the players and the accomplishments of them and the team, and email them to the company that you are seeking sponsorship from. Make your request look professional and clean looking. If they are impressed, then they will probably contact you back with either an official sponsorship statement of some kind, or just an informal "hey, if you need stuff for your team, we'll hook you up with sweet discounts and shit that no one else can get!"

Either way, sponsorship is no magical free ride most of the time. Usually just discounted items.
Swap my Ego 11 parts! OG green for white, black, silver etc.... http://www.techpb.co...1

My feedback- http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=217960-

#25 Kirko017

Kirko017

Say no to drugs!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:05 PM

MrBk, that's usually the problem, getting a team full of players who want to use all the same stuff because people have different opinions. But a lot of companies will sponsor a D5 team believe it or not. And if you go to a bigger company that does more than just hoppers, they can practically get you setup head to toe, if you got the money for it.

Edited by Kirko017, 18 December 2012 - 09:14 PM.

Eminence

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users