15 replies to this topic

#1 Dragon1291

Dragon1291

Dragon1291

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:19 PM

So, getting back into the swing of things after a little absence, I had a quick question. I'm slowly purchasing essentially an entirely new rig. Before, since I only did rec-play, I had a tippmann 98 CP, some crappy starter mask, and a shake and shoot. Time wore on and I got myself the cheap NXE 3 pod pack (which worked for me), and a better mask (Flex 8). I just recently purchased a Protege and plan on getting a 68/4500 sometime in the middle of the school year. I'm a college student, and can't store my stuff in my dorm, so I'm in no real rush to get the tank.

Anyways, so after I get my tank, I want to get some sort of pod hauling pack. I would prefer something that I can use for both rec play and scenario play. But it's not out of the realm to get both. I won't ever use the +# elastic except to maybe hold bottles of water.

ANYWAYS, the real question is, should I get a standard pod pack (wraps around waist) or save that money and get a Tac Vest? Or get both?

The vest I want to get:
http://www.ansgear.c...techomarpat.htm
Has a built in hydration pouch, can carry 6 pods (+3), and has some molle for more attachments

The Pod pack I'm interested in:
http://www.ansgear.c...NESS43&CartID=1
Looks like a solid Pod Pack. Nothing too special.

The Pod pack I currently Have:
http://www.ansgear.c...ck3woodcamo.htm

Thanks for the advice!

#2 TooTallNiCo

TooTallNiCo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:49 PM

Depends. I've got a Condor Chest rig for when I shoot mag fed, a Tippmann 6+2 Assault Vest, and an Empire 4+6. For big games where I need to be on field for longer periods of time I will run the Tippmann vest. It was a life saver for Living Legends. Carried my 8 pods and my 2L bladder and distributed the weight well. For recball or the scenarios where it's not a long walk back to my staging area then I just run the pod pack because it is a lot cooler for those hot days

Member of the Brew City Bomb Squad
Check us out here at Brew City Bomb Squad Paintball
Veteran of Living Legends V, VI

CPX Legion: My Name is Legion, For We Are Many..

#3 Gyvanth

Gyvanth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:17 PM

I have a vest and I like it just for the extra protection. It can be a little overkill for simple woodsball though.

#4 robot0ninja

robot0ninja

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:56 PM

I say get a vest since you already have a decent pod pack. But if you don't have one already, get a good hopper. A Halo V35 or an Invert Halo Too hopper are the best bang for the buck, and I think the Valken V-Max just dropped below $100 also. If you wanted to go more high end, I say get a Empire Prophecy Z2 or Rotor.

#5 Dragon1291

Dragon1291

Dragon1291

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:12 AM

Just purchased a Pinokio so I'm good on the whole hopper situation.

#6 madsnipes

madsnipes

TechPB's Jailbot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,038 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:07 AM

i have that valken vest and a critical stealth pack. i never use the vest except for scenario games when its nice to carry a map, radio, drinks, id patch, printout of rules and a ton of paint all onto the field. for normal rec play i never use it though.

#32 "Dusty" of the Devil Dogs. Give us a like if you want - Devil Dogs Paintball

TechPBsig_zpsbc0cb057.jpg

#7 tyurtddr

tyurtddr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:06 PM

if you get a vest make sure that its mesh, and doesn't have added foam, otherwise ti will be way to hot.

#8 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,444 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:13 PM

The primary goal of a vest, is to distribute a large amount of weight evenly across your upper body.

Wearing a vest, and carrying only 4 pods is kind of a waste and would only offer additional "impact" protection, more than performance.

Vests have so many features and storage areas, that wearing them for recball will actually hinder your performance rather than improve it.

When I wear my vest, I usually have a radio, map, player ID, paint tickets, mission cards, 5+ pods, etc. I rarely bring a bladder on the field, but that's because I usually get shot out before I could actually drink from it.

But if I knew I was going to be doing more "holding" that "gunning", and knew I'd be on the field for more than an hour at a time, then I think I would bring the hydration bladder.

Vests definitely take the sting out of direct body shots to the back and chest, but you sacrifice mobility and speed for the additional protection

#9 cpxballer9

cpxballer9

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:48 PM

Ya I was thinking witch vest would be better a Valken Echo Vest or Flurry Industries Emissary vest any subjection

o and right now i have a horrible jt pod pack so should i just get the pod pack

#10 Dragon1291

Dragon1291

Dragon1291

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:49 PM

i have that valken vest and a critical stealth pack. i never use the vest except for scenario games when its nice to carry a map, radio, drinks, id patch, printout of rules and a ton of paint all onto the field. for normal rec play i never use it though.

Does the Valken vest hold up well to use? I've read mixxed reviews where some people say they fall apart easily and others say they are pretty durable.

I'll probably end up just getting both. *sigh* time to save up more money

#11 paintballguy2255

paintballguy2255

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:59 PM

Have you considered a backpack?The tippmann backpack is a good choice,IMO.I suggest a backpack over either one.
But before you get a vest,ask yourself this:What is the most important thing to bring on the field?(excluding gun,hopper,tank,and a mask)If you say paint,then you probably want a pack.If you say something like "water and snacks",then probably a vest.The valken pack you listed is good.My friend uses the gxg tactical vest for scenarios,and says it is a good vest.Or,get a flurry vest if your finances allow.

#12 tripp

tripp

Proudly Sponsored by ANSGear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:38 AM

i use a 4+7 Valken pack( i use it for speedball and rec ball as well)
and for scenarios i toss a camelback backpack on, it allows me to hold maps, radios, props and my water bladder

its really the best of both worlds in my opinion
Sponsored By: ANSGear, Valken Paintball Southern Maryland Paintball
Posted Image
Bob Long 2k4 alias + freak + halo too

#13 smoke14

smoke14

One Flew Over

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:25 PM

I'd rather go podpack just because I don't like the feel of vests. I get the feeling that they constrict my movement.

#14 robot0ninja

robot0ninja

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:28 PM

If you're worried about weight distribution, you can always wear suspenders connected to the pod pack. If you find them too unfashionable (since when id paintball fashionable though? Lol) you can always wear your jersey.over the suspenders

#15 p8ntballin007

p8ntballin007

WRECKER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:09 PM

I was thinking about that Valken Vest also, but I have one problem with it - It looks like the pods sit really low on the back. Anyone know if this is case?

#16 CdTriX

CdTriX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:06 PM

hydration pack + podpack = win.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users