26 replies to this topic

#1 spqr-king

spqr-king

Lead the way, all the way!

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:00 PM

Im looking for a 9mm handgun that has a small/medium frame. Im looking at the Sig 229, Glock17, and maybe the Glock 19. I have time with the Glocks but not the Sig anyone have any direct experience with the 226 or 229? Or any other suggestions for that matter? Its for both me and my wife so it needs to fit both of us... and with my rather small hands that shouldnt be an issue... Posted Image

Check us out at Retribution Sports!

#2 canscom

canscom

Lest we forget the soldiers. who saved our country

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:40 PM

Look at the Smith and Wesson M&P9 as well Sig has a heavy first ''stage'' in the trigger press as they us DA/SA triggers
Stop worrying about how you look, and start worrying about how you play. Get out on the field and play paintball the best you can, not stand at home in front of a mirror trying to figure out if your jersey matches your eyes.

#3 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

TechPB's Resident Angry Veteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:42 AM

go sig... they make the best hand guns on the market... their guns are simple, they work, they are reliable... you have to actually try and miss your target with a sig...
Shocktech Aftershock SFL team cocker, serial number 1
Mini Orracle pump, Eclipse internals, Sanchez Machine pump kit and grip frame
Mossberg 500 ZMB

OSG Paintball biggest and best field in NH... show them some love

"I wish I had 2000 feet. So i could shove 500 of them up each of your asses!!!!" Red Foreman

#4 ClintonIce

ClintonIce

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:56 AM

I like the Glock 19 :tup:

#5 NotaSniper

NotaSniper

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:06 PM

go sig... they make the best hand guns on the market... their guns are simple, they work, they are reliable... you have to actually try and miss your target with a sig...

I got to shoot a 239. I want so bad.

#6 Panda Man

Panda Man

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 05:06 PM

I really like the Springfield XDM in 40 S&W.

#7 Irish725

Irish725

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:53 PM

I've shot S&W M&P's, Sigs, Glocks, Berettas, Springfields....

Here is my opinion:

S&W M&P: Great gun for the price, you can usually find them on sale, pretty simple to operate, but not as easy as the XD or the Glock to take apart.

Sigs: Didn't like the feeld in my hand. Felt cheaply made, and the grip frame fucked with my hands (but I have long hands, so thats part of the issue).

Glocks: I'll admit I am a bit of a Glock Fan boy, I own 4 of them, 1 Glock 19, 1 Glock 22C, 1 Glock 27 and a Glock 29. I love the feel, the parts are all quality, super simple to strip and replace parts, lots of modifications available. You can make a glock into a CCW piece, a RaceGun, a Home Defense piece or a target pistol, it has lots of uses.

Berettas: Run far...run fast..if buying anything but a Beretta shotgun...

Springfields XD'S : Very similar to Glock, doesn't feel as nice, but it's still a solid gun.

I would say get the Glock, and then if you don't like hte stiff trigger frame on them, get the trigger replaced. It's a standard 5.5 pound trigger, but I currently have a 3 lb trigger on mine. Much easier.

IrishBanner2_zps537819c4.png

Veteran of Living Legends V and VI...looking forward to LL VII! 

#8 cavemag

cavemag

R.I.P Borg.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:02 AM

The 226 is an excellent handgun. The thing that places them over the Glock is the decocker, and the da/sa action.
Posted Image

#9 YoungGun32

YoungGun32

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:32 AM

I have extensive experience with the 229 and I think it is a very good double action pistol but would not recommend it for your wife unless she is an avid shooter and comfortable with double action pistols. If your looking for something to conceal carry look into the sub compact Springfield xd or xdms. If your looking for a home defense handgun go with a full size 45. I recommended a shotgun for home defense but if your dead set on a pistol go with a 45. When it comes to recoil there isn't much difference as long as your getting a full size and there are many 45s out there that will hold 13+ rounds. Glock makes a great 45 and so does Springfield. I would avoid s&w if I was you, much better out there for the money. The reason I say to avoid double action for your wife is the first round should always be your moat accurate shot and with untrained shooters it is normally their worst shot when using a double action because of the long trigger pull. When I say "untrained" I mean someone that hasnt put 1000+ rounds through that type of firearm action.

Edited by YoungGun32, 28 August 2012 - 03:36 AM.

#10 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:11 AM

for home defense i prefer a nice .223 carbine... ammo is cheap, recoil is low, and they have an intimidation factor that rivals a shot gun... i have a SCAR 16s thats my all purpose rifle... while its an expensive rifle, its what i would use over a hand gun if someone was breaking into my place...

when it comes to home defense pistols... revolvers are always good, as you know they will go bang every time... plus, a .38 snub nose is easy to conceal and store in a bedside safe...

i prefer a .45 over all other pistol calibers though... its a big and slow round, and even if you wing the person, they will stop... plenty of good .45's out there, but i like teh XD over most... most bang for your buck... its a glock done right... instead of the internal hammer system glock passes off as a striker, the xd is a true striker fired hand gun... this means you have to cock it for the first round to shoot, you can lock and load, then de-cock the hammer... a beratta 92f isnt a bad side arm for the inexperienced shoots, and it hold 15 rouns of 9mm, which has less recoil and will be easier for a woman to shoot, most of the time... and, you can load it and de-cock the hammer, then you have a choice, either pull the hammer back with you thumb, of use the trigger, singel action or double to single... its not a bad system... but they get a bad rep because of the loos tolerances...
Mossberg 500 ZMB

"I wish I had 2000 feet. So i could shove 500 of them up each of your asses!!!!" Red Foreman

#11 spqr-king

spqr-king

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:40 AM

Im going with a 9mm simply because thats what my wife will be using when she deploys and I want her to get a feel of shooting. At basic she got rained out so they didnt shoot much (yea its the Air Force) I dont like the decocker on the Glocks but they are cheap to replace so im pretty much stuck between the Sig and the Glock whats really pushing me is the price point online the Sig is listed at 900 bucks while the Glock is around 500 new. I wanted to get a 1911 .45 but it would not be great for CC and im not sure if she would dig the kick when practicing.

I went to the BX the other day and held a Sig Mosquito which is the 22 LR model felt much sturdier then the Glock but obviously the 226 or 229 will be different but it felt solid and I liked it.

#12 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:17 PM

glocks to me feel cheap... and i always find that i get slide bite with them... they just dont fit my hands...

XDm 9mm would be the way to go... little but more then a glock, but it combines the best aspects of a 1911 with a light weight polymer framed striker fired pistol.... not to mention, they are a good CC weapon, and come with a holster and mag holder, as well as a speed loader... cant really beat that
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#13 YoungGun32

YoungGun32

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:37 PM

Not trying to put down Sig because they make a grade A pistol but you'll regret getting a double action. I like the 92fs but the safety is backwards and you naturally lose all fine motor skills when adrenaline hits you unless you've been through extensive training. I'm with OEF and would recommend an xd or xdm over a glock.

#14 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:42 AM

only reason for getting a sig is if you need an auto loader you will be taking into combat with you... they go bang every time... and you really have to try and miss your target with a sig... but, unless you train with one for thousands of rounds, the double action to single action will be a pain in the ass... get a single action auto loader like the XDm 9mm or XD 9mm
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#15 woodsballer414

woodsballer414

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:59 AM

I'm a beretta fan boy. Have a custom M9 and 2 PX4s. The PX4 storm has a very smooth trigger pull and I lightened the pull weight for target practice. If your wife wants less kick maybe get her to try a 40 S&W? Enough punch to hurt and less kick then the 1911s.

Also most Glocks have a very lack safety and I have seen them fail without much provocation.
LoNgBalLeR......................................................................................................SPLAT!!!

#16 YoungGun32

YoungGun32

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:00 PM

Beretta makes good firearms but like I said their safeties are backwards and I've you ever do real world training or situations you will learn very quickly how adrenalin affects your fine motor skills. I have never ever seen a glock fail unless it was 100% human error, they are stupid proof when it comes to maintenance. I'm still with OEFand highly recommend the Springfields, that's what I use for my conceal carry.

#17 cavemag

cavemag

R.I.P Borg.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:10 PM

Well since shes deploying get a Beretta 92fs. There is no use in getting her used to a different style of pistol than what she'll carry.

Edited by cavemag, 29 August 2012 - 11:11 PM.

Posted Image

#18 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:29 AM

i carried an m9 for a year in afghanistan... all it did was act as a paper weight in the field when i had to fill out reports and shit... i never fired tht thing once, not even at a training range... the beretta M9 is fucking useless as a combat issued side arm... 9mm is a spray and pray wall of lead type round... it doenst make a good hand gun round... it only imparts 30% of its kenetic energy upon its target, making it a trough and trough round with minimal wound cavitation... .40s&w and .45ACP are both better concealed carry round/combat rounds... if you really want to get the mac daddy of pistol rounds, get a Five Seven... the ss109 FN ammo imparts 90% of its kinetic energy upon its target, and its low recoil, 20rd mag...

if i had the money to spend on any 2 side arms on the market today, it would be a five seven and an xdm45....
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#19 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,824 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:19 PM

I actually prefer Walthers like the PPS, PPQ, and the P99.
I love the feel of a striker-fired pistol, but Glocks just don't fit my hands well. Walthers, however, tend to fit me like a glove and are of very nice quality.
They are expensive though...

Edited by Antonious, 30 August 2012 - 07:20 PM.

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#20 The_Economist

The_Economist

It's business time.

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:20 PM

i carried an m9 for a year in afghanistan... all it did was act as a paper weight in the field when i had to fill out reports and shit... i never fired tht thing once, not even at a training range... the beretta M9 is fucking useless as a combat issued side arm... 9mm is a spray and pray wall of lead type round... it doenst make a good hand gun round... it only imparts 30% of its kenetic energy upon its target, making it a trough and trough round with minimal wound cavitation... .40s&w and .45ACP are both better concealed carry round/combat rounds... if you really want to get the mac daddy of pistol rounds, get a Five Seven... the ss109 FN ammo imparts 90% of its kinetic energy upon its target, and its low recoil, 20rd mag...

if i had the money to spend on any 2 side arms on the market today, it would be a five seven and an xdm45....

Where do you find your data about "...imparts 30% of its kinetic energy..."? That looks like it would be an interesting read. I love reading about the minutae of guns and ammo.

#21 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:42 AM

it was a video put up from FN comparing the MP5 to the P90 and the 5.7 to the 9mm... i cant seem to find the video on youtube anymore.. the but 5.7 round was designed to be armor defeating, not jsut armor piercing... the 9mm round is simply a hunk of lead that was designed to be shot out of a machine pistol
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#22 spqr-king

spqr-king

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:02 AM

Yea every service member we know complains about the m9 that's why the marines are going back to the Colt 1911.

#23 canscom

canscom

Lest we forget the soldiers. who saved our country

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:51 PM

I dont like the safety on the 92/M9 I would go with a Glock in .40S&W or a Sig P226 or 2022 in .40 or .357sig or maybe a Para Ordanance P14 1911
Stop worrying about how you look, and start worrying about how you play. Get out on the field and play paintball the best you can, not stand at home in front of a mirror trying to figure out if your jersey matches your eyes.

#24 SoCalPB22

SoCalPB22

Just Addictied...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:05 PM

Sig 226 is a good shooter. Easy to maintain.
But haven't shot much out of it but on the other hand the P220 i have shot a lot good shooter too.

#25 Karnokr

Karnokr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:32 PM

Your asking a very subjective question OP.

That being said (!), After owning and shooting many handguns overtime, there's only 2 that I feel are worthy. One is S&W M&P's. About as comfortable as holding your pecker in your hand. Great quality and ergo's. XDM's are like Hi-Point's in feel, Glocks have a goofy grip angle. Buy a box of rounds and shoot an M&P with the different back straps. Find the one that fits you. Trust me, you'll like it. If you want a 9mm, go for it., but .45 is the only way I'd go. If she can shoot a 9mm, she can shoot a .45 with no problem.

The other choice is a 1911, of the Kimber type. Shoot one, and you'll understand why. And you can buy carry 1911's with a smaller frame.

Hand of Fate Scenario Paintball Team

http://www.facebook....s/HOFpaintball/

#26 zchrit23

zchrit23

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:25 PM

skip the 9mm...only type of ammunition that'll do anything with those are hollows. Get a colt 1911. Specifically one that was made in the 1980's. That gun will take care of you if you take care of it.

Edit: didn't even see this post :)

Your asking a very subjective question OP.

That being said (!), After owning and shooting many handguns overtime, there's only 2 that I feel are worthy. One is S&W M&P's. About as comfortable as holding your pecker in your hand. Great quality and ergo's. XDM's are like Hi-Point's in feel, Glocks have a goofy grip angle. Buy a box of rounds and shoot an M&P with the different back straps. Find the one that fits you. Trust me, you'll like it. If you want a 9mm, go for it., but .45 is the only way I'd go. If she can shoot a 9mm, she can shoot a .45 with no problem.

The other choice is a 1911, of the Kimber type. Shoot one, and you'll understand why. And you can buy carry 1911's with a smaller frame.

Edited by zchrit23, 20 September 2012 - 12:26 PM.

#27 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:03 PM

i still have to say the singfle best hand gun out there, if you can afford it and find the ammo, is the FN Five seveN.... bought one not long ago, and i prefer it over any .45 on the market... its a had gun, that shoots carbine rounds... from a 20rd mag... i find i am much more accurate at longer distances with teh FsN then i ever was with my XD45.... the only 2 downfalls of the FsN are the price (i paid 1099 for mine new) and the ammo... since FN is the only company to make 5.7 ammo now, its imported by federal form belgium, and can be hard to find... but its worth it... i've shot .22's that have more kick then an FsN...
Mossberg 500 ZMB

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users