• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 SamBo

SamBo

• Players Club
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:39 PM

Underboring is better from what we know correct? Well what if paintball markers actual chamber was underbored? Would this create chops from the edge of the feedneck hole where the ball is dropped in? Would there be enough of an efficiency gain to even tell? What is the current bore of paintball markers' chambers?

#2 gibbeepbroxzor

gibbeepbroxzor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:19 PM

if the chamber was underbored, the bolt wouldnt go through it..... and underboring works because its pressed into the breach. the tension of a hopper probably couldnt push it down past the feedneck..

#3 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks :(

• Chat Coordinator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,147 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:08 PM

An underbored chamber would be pointless, since the bolt closes through it, and the paintball experiences the expanding gas once it's already in the barrel.

RebelSignaturejedicode-1.jpg
Hybrid SFT • 09 Impulse • HB REV-i • Macroless Mech Ion
Rotor • Grillz • PE 70/45 Feedback - 23/0/0

#4 Troy

Troy

What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:53 PM

The bolt does not have to be as big as the ball to seal in a chamber. Think about designing a chamber with a chamfer... kinda like a funnel. The bolt and ball could fit in the breach loosely until the bolt pushes the ball far enough into the "funnel" to seal, and the bolt could be slightly larger then the inner diameter of the bore, so it seals on the chamfer (the sloped part). A side benefit as well would be the fact that the sloped edges are MUCH easier to seal, then the two parallel surfaces, and the bolt seal would be very superior to any other method. It wouldn't be a big deal, imo.

Of course, this would require you to match the bolt and the chamber to your paint, have fun finding people that want to do that. ;)

Edited by Troy, 29 August 2012 - 04:59 PM.

\m/

#5 tyronejk

tyronejk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:02 PM

The bolt does not have to be as big as the ball to seal in a chamber. Think about designing a chamber with a chamfer... kinda like a funnel. The bolt and ball could fit in the breach loosely until the bolt pushes the ball far enough into the "funnel" to seal, and the bolt could be slightly larger then the inner diameter of the bore, so it seals on the chamfer (the sloped part). A side benefit as well would be the fact that the sloped edges are MUCH easier to seal, then the two parallel surfaces, and the bolt seal would be very superior to any other method. It wouldn't be a big deal, imo.

Of course, this would require you to match the bolt and the chamber to your paint, have fun finding people that want to do that. ;)

The firing chamber in real guns aren't the same as the "chambers" in paintball markers. The chamber in firearms is where the rounds explode and propel the bullet down the barrel. The chamber in a paintball marker is just the space where paintballs drop down before being fired. The ball is only fired once the bolt pushes it into the barrel. The ball isn't fired from the chamber.

IT IS COMPLETELY USELESS TO MATCH YOUR BOLT/CHAMBER TO YOUR PAINT.

#6 Troy

Troy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:20 AM

The firing chamber in real guns aren't the same as the "chambers" in paintball markers. The chamber in firearms is where the rounds explode and propel the bullet down the barrel. The chamber in a paintball marker is just the space where paintballs drop down before being fired. The ball is only fired once the bolt pushes it into the barrel. The ball isn't fired from the chamber.

You're new, so I'll be gentle... your post is not constructive. We all know how paintball markers operate, you don't need to explain to us how how compressed gas expands to push the paintball out of the business end either.

We know two things:
1) Bolts seal the chamber to stop air flow out of the feedneck
2) an underbored barrel is more efficient then an overbored barrel

It stands to reason that if the ball is sealed in a breach/barrel/chamber/whatever (do keep in mind that in most markers there is a spot where the ball rests when the bolt is fully extended before it reaches the barrel... most people refer to this as the "chamber" still, even though it doesn't exist in the same vertical space of the feedneck) BEFORE it gets hit by the power pulse, which just so happens to be the time when the most air hits the ball at once, the whole system will be more efficient.

So, before you go off half cocked, make sure you know what your talking about. If you have constructive things to say, I'm sure, I speak for everyone when I say that I want to hear them... otherwise, keep those thoughts to yourself.
\m/

#7 ShadowZero

ShadowZero

Karma Police

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,235 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:05 PM

An underbored chamber would be pointless, since the bolt closes through it, and the paintball experiences the expanding gas once it's already in the barrel.

You guys are arguing even though the solution to this is right here.

-My YouTube (More Videos To Come Soon!)

Set-Up: Marq Rapper, Dye Rotor, Ninja 68/45

Be a Brick Wall, Don't Break Down

#8 tyronejk

tyronejk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:51 PM

You're new, so I'll be gentle... your post is not constructive. We all know how paintball markers operate, you don't need to explain to us how how compressed gas expands to push the paintball out of the business end either.

We know two things:
1) Bolts seal the chamber to stop air flow out of the feedneck
2) an underbored barrel is more efficient then an overbored barrel

It stands to reason that if the ball is sealed in a breach/barrel/chamber/whatever (do keep in mind that in most markers there is a spot where the ball rests when the bolt is fully extended before it reaches the barrel... most people refer to this as the "chamber" still, even though it doesn't exist in the same vertical space of the feedneck) BEFORE it gets hit by the power pulse, which just so happens to be the time when the most air hits the ball at once, the whole system will be more efficient.

So, before you go off half cocked, make sure you know what your talking about. If you have constructive things to say, I'm sure, I speak for everyone when I say that I want to hear them... otherwise, keep those thoughts to yourself.

Great comeback. I like the subtle reference implied in "half cocked [sic]."

You guys are arguing even though the solution to this is right here.

But it looks like my side has more supporters.

#9 Troy

Troy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:09 AM

But it looks like my side has more supporters.

I think Lord Odin's test using different barrel adapters in combination with different freak backs give us ample reason to believe that there is SOMETHING that can be made different in the breach/chamber to increase efficiency/consistency over the chrono. IIRC he hypothesized that different inner diameters allowed the bolt to travel further into the adapter, but I think that it's also a reasonable hypothesis that the inner diameter of the adapters would change the shot regardless of bolt interaction.
\m/

#10 lovebunny

lovebunny

Master Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:52 PM

why not underbore a hopper?
┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
Muppet King!
CCM 6.5 FST Rendition Alias and other goodies FST
Feedback

#11 crich775

crich775

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:11 PM

For the small benefit that it may or may not bring to the table, would it be worth it to have to go and buy multiple bodies, if not entire markers, for the different paint? Theoretics and laboratory testing are a whole 'nother ballpark compared to real world usability.
Rest In Peace Jacob Espindola 1-12-07
OEF Vet 2011-2012, Combat Infantryman Badge Recipient

#12 SamBo

SamBo

• Players Club
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:38 PM

^^^ You wouldn't have to if the entire breech was bored at say 684 that is plenty small for the biggest paint on the market. You wouldn't have to switch bodies. But it doesn't matter because the paintball isn't propelled until its in the barrel anyway.

What?? So balls wouldn't go through? Theres nothing to propel the paint through the hopper. I guess if it's force fed, but this would only work against the motor.

This makes sense I didn't think about it. But yes because no air is being used till it's in the barrel.

#13 bigx

bigx

Good? Bad? Im the guy with the gun.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,961 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:36 AM

Or you could buy a G6R and tune it for max efficiency and run it with a 90/4500 SLP Tank. You can shoot forever problem solved. Posted Image

"I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood. You tell the angels in heaven you never seen evil so singularly personified as you did in the face of the man who killed you."

http://www.techpb.co...1 :Feedback 17/0/

#14 Red Infinity

Red Infinity

sugar berzerk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,405 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:01 AM

Like the insert body for a t2?

Edited by Red Infinity, 15 October 2012 - 10:03 AM.

RAWR?

#15 Lunatic_on_high

Lunatic_on_high

You've never done a run through till you do it with a pump.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,019 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:11 AM

underbore your pods, maybe even underbore your airtank for all dem efficiency gains

Hey guys I've got a great idear, if we want to be mroe efficient why dont we have smaller paint... oh wait

#16 Eskimo

Eskimo

Member #: 666 ( Seriously )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,110 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:32 PM

LoveNubby is on the the right track, paintballs swell like crazy once the heat gets to em and moisture. Underbore the hopper and put a replaceable ice layer on the outside to ensure cold balls. And we can place a few thin iron rings with coils around to create a magnetic field to repel the H20 molecules away from the hopper.

Thats how science works right?

Also: I want a 50.Cal Stock class marker. Why many people scream, WHY?
because your playing up close anyways, a 12 paintball stick feed would fit like 20 paintballs in a staggered fashion. and 12 efficiancy would be boss. A smaller bolt and internals = less friction and a smaller spring means easier pump stroke.

(last comment is relationship to the smaller paint argument)

Edited by Eskimo, 15 October 2012 - 12:35 PM.

Citrus Connection
Proudly Partnered With: PBL, TechPB, Pinokio Hoppers, HK·Army

#17 Troy

Troy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:41 PM

I think we should put some iron filings in the paint, and then use magnetic rings to launch them.... can you say rail gun?
\m/

#18 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,121 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:43 PM

k this is done
The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

And yes, Gordon is the sexiest manifestation of "to the front."

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users