• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 tschneider15

tschneider15

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:39 PM

I just joined a scenario team as a medic and I was wondering what all I need for my equipment

#2 paintballguy2255

paintballguy2255

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:18 PM

You'll probably want a pistol or other small gun because you are there to heal,not shoot.as for which one,I suggest the tpx.I don't currently own one,but have shot my friends and plan on getting one myself.I also suggest you carry 3-4 spare mags,so less time reloading and more time medicing.always have your medic card and player I.D.always be listening for someone yelling "MEDIC!!!"because he sooner they get healed,the more time they have to shoot people,and overall happier teammates.

Edited by paintballguy2255, 29 August 2012 - 06:21 PM.

#3 UV Halo

UV Halo

Bringing the Big Guns to LLVI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:39 PM

If you mean a scenario medic (vice a real medic for when one of your teammate's physically hurt him/her-self) then you need at least a good pen / fine point marker that you won't loose on the field. Beyond that, it depends on just what you plan to do on the field.

For example, you may go marker-less. Others may go with the lightest playing setup (ultralight pump, 50rd hopper, etc) they can cobble together.

A radio to keep in touch with your team would be a good thing since calls for assistance may pull you far and wide from your team.

Some folks like to act the part as medic so, you could consider changing your outfit to match.

Beyond that it will depend on the scenario producer, and whether they have any particular requirements.

#4 etekgirl27

etekgirl27

Uber Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,928 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:11 PM

I see a lot of medics copy midnight angelz dual pistol set up

#5 tschneider15

tschneider15

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:56 PM

Alright thanks for the info guys thats exactly what i was looking for

#6 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • 11,444 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:21 PM

PENS!!!!!! (and a towel)

You will DEFINITELY need a pen, preferably a thin tipped sharpie. Bring LOTS of them, spread them out in your gearbag, open up the package and just throw them around randomly in your gearbag so you always have some on gameday.

Pens are a hot commodity on scenario game day. You need them for EVERYTHING, especially for filling out medic cards.

No pen = no revive

With that said, you want to pack light on the field. Think about this - where do players get shot out, that need a medic? Front or back?

In the FRONT! So you will need to be fast enough, to cover ground on the front lines under heavy fire, to wipe players off and keep the line moving. If you are "bulked down", you won't be able to move up fast enough to revive players. And don't make long stupid kamikaze charges. Think "bunker to bunker", quick fast moves, from one bunker to the next, to get you into position to revive players. I see too many medics make 100 yard sprints across the field to revive a single player, just to get shot out on the way there. Go "bunker to bunker", zip to a bunker, wait... them move to the next closest one... wait.... then move again.

LOTS of pens... like 50 of them... and a black towel. A white towel will alert your opponents that you are a medic, and they'll focus their fire on you if they suspect you are a medic.

Also be smart, if you're medic card only allows you to revive 20 players, choose the 20 players that will do the most damage to the other team.

If you have to make the choice between-

* A player using a pump gun, with no extra pods, and 20 balls in his hopper
* A player with 7 full pods on his back, using an electro with an Apex Barrel

Obviously, reviving a pump player with no paint isn't going to do shit to help your team. Use the slot on the card to revive the player with 7 pods on his back, and send the pump player back to the pits.

No firepower and no paint = no revive

When the shit gets thick, you need to be smart about who you revive. I know in Viper games, you only get 20 slots on the card. Size up the player to see if he's worthy of a revive. Make them count

#7 tschneider15

tschneider15

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:14 AM

whoa thanks Mike! I usually play front as a standard rifleman so i figured id switch it up a little bit. looks like ive got a few things i gotta pick up to be a medic! I appreciate the help. Being a medic seems to be a role not a whole lot of people want to be, therefore theres hardly any info on what to do and what you need

Edited by tschneider15, 30 August 2012 - 01:22 AM.

#8 Irish725

Irish725

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,901 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:05 AM

Pens! ^ Like Mike said haha.

Seriously though, the best medic I've seen in action was my buddy JackMiller (aka PackerBacker here on the forums), at Living Legends 5. This guy was a monster, all he carried was a spare rag, a backpack full of pods of paint and other supplies (spare squeegees, pens, etc. to keep others in the fight), occasionally he brought his mini but mostly he didnt, and that was it. He was constantly on the move in the front, bumping up and down the front line.

Know how to play the different area's in a scenario too. If you are in a wooded/jungled area, use the dense brush to your advantage. If you have to move back a little bit to get into the thicker woodline and make it harder to hit you, do so. You might have to run a little farther, but that extra cover and concealment will do you a world of good. So don't be afraid to backtrack. Also, make sure the guys you are trying to medic have friends who can back you up. If it's two guys in a lone bunker calling for a medic, and everyone else is shot out, don't risk yourself out there trying to save them, because you are probably just gonna get lit, and if there is a massive offensive from the other side, what are two guys going to do?

Train yourself to be on the move at all times too, because you are going to need to switch between a run to get to where the firefights are (if you get shot out), and sprinting from cover to cover during said firefights. Make yourself a small target too, don't stand when you can kneel, don't kneel when you can lay down during these large gun battles, as whoever has the better medic's usually end up winning these fights (unless they are ridiculously outnumbered, and are low on air/paint).

That's all the tips I can think of when it comes to being a medic, if I think of more, I'll post em up.

IrishBanner2_zps537819c4.png

Veteran of Living Legends V and VI...looking forward to LL VII! 

#9 The_Economist

The_Economist

It's business time.

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:22 PM

The best medics don't even carry guns. You do way more for your side by being the best medic possible than by just being another gun on the field.

If you are going to carry a gun, make it the lightest one you can, and make it something that you can toss aside easily since filling out a medic card usually takes two hands.

#10 tschneider15

tschneider15

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:26 PM

The barrel swab idea is pretty good actually. Ive played numerous games where both sides were kankin' shots due to dirty barrels. I probably wont be handing out paint though since I became a medic to save money but still get to play paintball. That and im about 5'5 so being small and fast works for being a medic as opposed to the heavy gunner. Any additional tips and info will be greatly appreciated here or in a PM. Thanks! :D

#11 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • 9,054 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:33 PM

PistolsPosted Image

#12 Irish725

Irish725

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,901 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:42 PM

Haha well I am not saying you have to give out paint at all lol, we just did because We had 27 cases for 5 people, one of whom was barely firing, so we had paint to spare, and it was a good way of keeping guns in the fight.

Barrel swabs, microfiber cloths for fogging masks, hell even water bottles would work. Being a medic doesn't just mean run out and heal people, you can play a supportive role too.

Just have fun with it, and you'll get better every time you go :).

#13 tschneider15

tschneider15

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:20 PM

yeah im loving my TPX so ill probably get better with it and just run that. And 27 cases of paint for 5 people? holy crap lol!!! did you all pool in for that or what? towards the end of the day i could see handing out a pod here and there but then again if youre siting on a stockpile i could also understand helping out the trigger happy

#14 Irish725

Irish725

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,901 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 04:02 PM

Yeah, we pooled paint. It started off with 14 cases for 3 people (I ordered 7 cases), but then we decided to hook up with another group of Wisconsin based Ballers, and the stock pile grew haha. I still left with 2 unopened cases, and I was raining paint all weekend. (Realizedm y mistake before, 27 cases for 6 people, not 5 lol).

But yeah, all fo the above tips (keep your set up light, bring good fine point pens and bring LOTS of them, learn how to play your cover) will help you become an awesome medic. And who knows, maybe one day I'll call for a medic at a scenario and you'll be there :tup:

Have fun!

Edited by Irish725, 30 August 2012 - 04:03 PM.

#15 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • 11,444 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:01 PM

Also, one thing I forgot to mention, CONSTANTLY be telling the players around you that you are a medic.

Yelling things like "I am a medic!!! THE MEDIC IS HERE!!! THE MEDIC IS HERE!! I AM A MEDIC!!!" helps out everyone.

I know sometimes, just knowing that I have a medic close by, can be the difference between me making a "breakout" move or just a conservative one. I hate finding out AFTER i already put my gun in the air, and walked 50 yards towards the pits that a medic was 20 feet away from me.

Letting EVERYONE know around you, constantly that you are a medic can not only be a huge morale booster, but can rapidly alter the strategy for the players. It can be the difference between a slow, grueling crawl through the woods, or a bumrush that penetrates the opposing team's line.

I can't tell you how many "silent medics" I've had standing right next to me, and I had no clue that they were a medic!!! If I don't know, no one else knows either!

Because you are not engaged in the direct fighting, and you do have some "authority", feel free to round up players for a big push where it's needed. You're not an "afterthought", you are assuming a leadership role on the field. Any jackass who doesn't listen to you, isn't going to get a revive. I tell ya, when a medic tells to "I need you to go there", I don't argue... I gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

#16 robot0ninja

robot0ninja

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:04 PM

Jack Miller, over 800 heals during Living Legends 5. I don't think there is anyone better.

#17 TooTallNiCo

TooTallNiCo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:30 PM

Yeah talk to PackerBacker for sure. That kid did work at Living Legends and he definitely earned his MVP award. He had the advantage of being small and being very quick, and he hauled ass to all parts of the field

Member of the Brew City Bomb Squad
Check us out here at Brew City Bomb Squad Paintball
Veteran of Living Legends V, VI

CPX Legion: My Name is Legion, For We Are Many..

#18 paintballguy2255

paintballguy2255

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:54 PM

And,in ln all seriousness,bring some band aids for those little knicks by tree branches.
Also,I suggest running the tpx in a thigh holster with 1 extra mag,1-2 ten round tubes,and a spare 12 gram.My problem with running no gun us that you may find yourself trying to get to someone with no one else around.you can even just stick it in the back of your waistband if you want to.

Edited by paintballguy2255, 31 August 2012 - 07:42 PM.

#19 robot0ninja

robot0ninja

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:53 PM

Band aids?

#20 paintballguy2255

paintballguy2255

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:55 PM

Band aids?

Bandages with little pieces of cotton to help teh booboos

#21 robot0ninja

robot0ninja

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:07 AM

I know what a band aid is, I'm just wondering why that's a paintball medic's duty to have with him. He's not actually giving medical attention, he is wiping paint off someone.

#22 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • 11,444 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:44 PM

also I wouldn't waste your money on a pistol. You want a gun, that you don't mind throwing down to fill out the medic cards. Something plastic like a GoG Envy, eXTC, etc

A pistol is worthless, popping off 4 rounds at sub-230FPS isn't going to hold off 30 guys shooting 13+ BPS at you. You're better off just hiding behind the bunker, than risk getting shot out returning fire with a measly pistol

hiding > pistol

#23 madsnipes

madsnipes

TechPB's Jailbot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,038 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 06:15 PM

i know some good medics, most of them pack light and only use something like a stockclass phantom just to defend themselves while they run around and revive people. like mike said the point is to go and revive people, not be a heavy gunner.

#32 "Dusty" of the Devil Dogs. Give us a like if you want - Devil Dogs Paintball

TechPBsig_zpsbc0cb057.jpg

#24 paintballguy2255

paintballguy2255

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 06:43 PM

Yeah,but I believe he already has one,so he might as well get some good use out of it.

#25 robot0ninja

robot0ninja

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:12 PM

also I wouldn't waste your money on a pistol. You want a gun, that you don't mind throwing down to fill out the medic cards. Something plastic like a GoG Envy, eXTC, etc

A pistol is worthless, popping off 4 rounds at sub-230FPS isn't going to hold off 30 guys shooting 13+ BPS at you. You're better off just hiding behind the bunker, than risk getting shot out returning fire with a measly pistol

hiding > pistol

Since when do pistols shoot sub-230 fps?

#26 paintballguy2255

paintballguy2255

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:22 PM

hiding > pistol

Since people didn't know how to adjust their velocity :dodgy:

#27 robot0ninja

robot0ninja

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:08 PM

hiding > pistol

Since people didn't know how to adjust their velocity :dodgy:

lol

#28 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • 11,444 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:29 AM

Take ANY CO2 powered pistol, TPX, Tiberius Arms, etc

Power up the CO2 catridge

Wait 3 or 4 hours... then go fire it. With a PERFECT seal, you are lucky to get 20 shots.

If it's got any leaking, which most of the time they do, you're shots are going to be WAY low in velocity. I see it all the time, some guy with a pistol that was aired up a long time ago, pops around his bunker and fires a couple shots at me just as his gun completely runs out of air and he is digging for a new magazine or a new CO2 cartridge.

We can try it... you start at your base, I'll start at my base. You bring your pistol, I'll bring my G-1 Blackheart and 7 pods. We'll both air up our markers, wait two hours, then start the match... let's see who wins

#29 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,046 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:37 AM

The best medics don't even carry guns. You do way more for your side by being the best medic possible than by just being another gun on the field.

If you are going to carry a gun, make it the lightest one you can, and make it something that you can toss aside easily since filling out a medic card usually takes two hands.

when i medic i use a stock class phantom. useful in defense, but not in long range gunfights etc
The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

And yes, Gordon is the sexiest manifestation of "to the front."

#30 paintballguy2255

paintballguy2255

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:48 AM

Take ANY CO2 powered pistol, TPX, Tiberius Arms, etc

Power up the CO2 catridge

Wait 3 or 4 hours... then go fire it. With a PERFECT seal, you are lucky to get 20 shots.

If it's got any leaking, which most of the time they do, you're shots are going to be WAY low in velocity. I see it all the time, some guy with a pistol that was aired up a long time ago, pops around his bunker and fires a couple shots at me just as his gun completely runs out of air and he is digging for a new magazine or a new CO2 cartridge.

We can try it... you start at your base, I'll start at my base. You bring your pistol, I'll bring my G-1 Blackheart and 7 pods. We'll both air up our markers, wait two hours, then start the match... let's see who wins

Yes,but the OP also has a tpx,which has the first pull peirce feature.

#31 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • 11,444 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:15 PM

Have you ever seen, how many people there are to shoot at in a scenario game?

If he carried 20 magazines out with him, he still would have less paint than I would have with one proto pod

That doesn't count the 10 CO2 cartridges he'd need to swap through, to shoot the 20 magazines worth of paint

If you want to use a pistol as a medic, be my guest. In a scenario game, you won't be very effective with one. My recommendation is that you plan on carrying a marker as a medic, make it a real marker that can actually suppress your opponents. Save the novelties and the toys for rec play.

#32 robot0ninja

robot0ninja

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:37 PM

People use pistols all the time in scenarios and big games, and it works. Pistol Pete (aka all ghillied up) and midnight angel do it all the time. I use a milsig with 20 round magazines. It works fine in big games.

#33 bball

bball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:42 PM

how about a compromise:
he takes his regular gun uses just a barrel-back and puts a ten-round tube on top :P

Edited by bball, 02 September 2012 - 09:42 PM.

#34 paintballguy2255

paintballguy2255

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:33 PM

Have you ever seen, how many people there are to shoot at in a scenario game?

If he carried 20 magazines out with him, he still would have less paint than I would have with one proto pod

That doesn't count the 10 CO2 cartridges he'd need to swap through, to shoot the 20 magazines worth of paint

If you want to use a pistol as a medic, be my guest. In a scenario game, you won't be very effective with one. My recommendation is that you plan on carrying a marker as a medic, make it a real marker that can actually suppress your opponents. Save the novelties and the toys for rec play.

But the only time he would really need a gun is if he needs to urgently get to someone or if he is the only person around,both of which will rarely happen at a scenario event.Hell,he can even go no gun if he wants.Its his decision.

#35 TooTallNiCo

TooTallNiCo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:17 AM

I just run my TiPX on remote. I played half the day like that at the Windy City Classic and got several eliminations. If you've got the TPX spend the extra $30 for the remote adapter

#36 paintballguy2255

paintballguy2255

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:12 PM

I just run my TiPX on remote. I played half the day like that at the Windy City Classic and got several eliminations. If you've got the TPX spend the extra $30 for the remote adapter

Read the above posts,please.

#37 TooTallNiCo

TooTallNiCo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:00 PM

Too Lazy, Too Tired (TLTT?) Stopped reading after Ben and Mike going back and forth

#38 paintballguy2255

paintballguy2255

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:29 PM

Too Lazy, Too Tired (TLTT?) Stopped reading after Ben and Mike going back and forth

He is trying to run as lite as possible,not worrying about the 12 gram running out.He is a medic,so he needs lite firepower.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users