68 replies to this topic

#51 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:18 PM

Shot gun. You can do that "You got 10 seconds to get off my God damn lawn" thing, and a shotgun will scare the fuck out of someone more than a hand gun will

109.gif

#52 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,824 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:45 AM

I have a couple issues with a shotgun for home defense.
One is that it requires both hands to operate effectively, which could prove to be a liability when opening doors, turning on lights, calling the police, etc.
Two is that it's a longer gun and therefore not as maneuverable. This could prove hazardous if you have many corners in your house since the assailant can grab hold of the gun before you can point it at them, or if the assailant gets in real close to you since it's much more difficult to effectively use  a shotgun without adequate space between you and your target.

This is why I prefer handguns for home defense.
Now that doesn't mean handguns don't have their shortcomings as well, they most certainly do (underpowered rounds, often a more complex design, etc.). However, in my philosophies of home defense, a handgun is a more fitting tool.

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#53 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:00 AM

The one reason I like shot guns more then hand guns is because of Bill Burr. Shotguns are usually a guaranteed hit, a pistol is... really not. 

Edited by Jawz, 25 January 2014 - 01:00 AM.

109.gif

#54 Cloakedsphere

Cloakedsphere

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:54 AM

You pump a shotgun and it doesnt scare him away, blow away the doors with your gun or stay in your room and wait for him to come in. 

#55 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,824 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:57 AM

The one reason I like shot guns more then hand guns is because of Bill Burr. Shotguns are usually a guaranteed hit, a pistol is... really not.

Not quite.
At close range, the shot will be more like one solid projectile. It takes range for the shot to get the iconic "shotgun spread"; range that's typically not found in a home defense situation.
Most home defense ranges are less than 10 yds. At that range you are about as likely to miss with a shotgun as you are with a handgun.

What it comes down to is training. And I don't mean target training for accuracy as a defensive situation won't give you the calm environment of target practice. You'll need to be familiar enough with your gun to instinctively point shoot and hit a man size target at 5 yds or so, as that's often what you'll be forced to resort to, whether with shotgun, rifle, or handgun. No relaxed control breathing, and careful aiming here, just instinctive muscle memory.

You pump a shotgun and it doesnt scare him away, blow away the doors with your gun or stay in your room and wait for him to come in.

So either keep an empty chamber and creating a liability should you lack the time to pump it, keep the chamber loaded and pointlessly waste a shell, or commit more property damage than the assailant likely ever intended?
A shotgun pointed at your face is just likely, if not more so, to scare the guy than the sound of the pump, without any needed hazard or waste.
Also, blowing away the door is certainly not a solution as you don't know for sure what's on the other side of that door. Maybe it's a bad guy, maybe it's a family member/friend, or maybe it's both. Always know your target and what's behind it before you pull the trigger.

I know it sounds like I'm really hating on shotguns. Believe me, I'm not. I certainly believe they have their place.
But it's absolutely imperative you understand what they can and can't do and what their liabilities are. Handguns and rifles are just the same way. One system can work better for some than others; it just depends on that person's defensive philosophies and their training and understanding of their system.

This is just my opinion based on tons and tons of research I've done on the subject, and although it is indeed opinion, it's based on both experience (whether mine or that of someone else) and scientific data. Just like with anything in life, the key is knowledge.

Edited by Antonious, 25 January 2014 - 02:16 AM.

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#56 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:08 AM

Lol after the first shot 99% of people will run, you ain't gonna miss after that.

109.gif

#57 Cloakedsphere

Cloakedsphere

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:18 AM

You're over thinking this. Sorry to sound rude but if you're freaking out this bad over it you shouldnt own a gun. You sound like a person that would end up shooting himself due to being too mindful of a wall that can be repaired vs your family thats dead

And I have owned over 4 guns so far in my lifetime and I have used one in self defense in a home invasion. I am not stupid nor does anything you're saying make any sense. You're over thinking it way too much. Friends or family arent just going to break into your house. If you tell your family to stay in their rooms then you're fine. You need to go to a school on self defense and hand gun self defense. You're seriously taking this way too far. lol

Edited by Cloakedsphere, 25 January 2014 - 02:20 AM.

#58 canscom

canscom

Lest we forget the soldiers. who saved our country

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:19 AM

you break into my house i will not fire a warning shot that door you kicked in was for you protection not mine
Stop worrying about how you look, and start worrying about how you play. Get out on the field and play paintball the best you can, not stand at home in front of a mirror trying to figure out if your jersey matches your eyes.

#59 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,824 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:27 AM

You're over thinking this. Sorry to sound rude but if you're freaking out this bad over it you shouldnt own a gun. You sound like a person that would end up shooting himself due to being too mindful of a wall that can be repaired vs your family thats dead

I'm sorry, what?
Are you telling me that target identification and the 4th rule of firearm safety (Be sure of your target and what's behind it) does not matter? That's how people end up killing their own family members and friends. It's happened and will continue to happen due to people not understanding the full consequence of pulling the trigger.

I'm not freaking out, I'm taking the idea of killing another being in self-defense very seriously, as it should be. This is a paintball forum, I understand. But if you go to a firearm forum and read through a similar topic you'll find many people like me who take this just as seriously, if not more so (Light discipline, strategic furniture orientation, etc).

Home defense is a very serious issue. Do it wrong, and you risk going to jail, having a friend or family member dead, or you being dead yourself.

Edited by Antonious, 25 January 2014 - 02:29 AM.

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#60 Cloakedsphere

Cloakedsphere

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:34 AM

Go ahead and do everything by the book for the rest of your life man. This one just might cost you your life when he shoots first.

#61 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,824 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:43 AM

Go ahead and do everything by the book for the rest of your life man. This one just might cost you your life when he shoots first.

Let's reverse that phrase, shall we?
"Go ahead and go off gut feelings for the rest of your life man. This one just might cost the life of your loved one when you shoot first"

I'm not understanding how you're confusing acting with caution and forethought as an inability to act at all.

Edited by Antonious, 25 January 2014 - 02:47 AM.

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#62 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:42 AM

Why not put a blank as the first shot? That would be pretty effective as a warning and give you a decent amount of time to try and recognize the person you are shooting at if push comes to shove?

109.gif

#63 canscom

canscom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 04:37 AM

The reason you might not get a chance to get second shot off and personally I don't want to fire multiple rounds off in side a house my hearing is bad enough
Stop worrying about how you look, and start worrying about how you play. Get out on the field and play paintball the best you can, not stand at home in front of a mirror trying to figure out if your jersey matches your eyes.

#64 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:10 AM

The reason you might not get a chance to get second shot off and personally I don't want to fire multiple rounds off in side a house my hearing is bad enough

if you're using a hand gun then why not go through the trouble of having a suppressor when you have bad hearing? I realize it might not work to good with a blank but I'd do it haha. Or I would, unfortunately in Canada they're illegal just like a good amount of guns. Then again you do too.... 

109.gif

#65 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,824 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:15 AM

I'd like to get a suppressor for my M&P (or possibly the Sig P250 I'm thinking of trading for).
Here in the US, the main issue is they're quite expensive (~$350-$700 for the can, plus a $200 tax stamp) and require a good deal of paperwork to get approved. They're also illegal in some places like New York and Cali.

A suppressor is definitely on my to-do list, though.

Edited by Antonious, 25 January 2014 - 06:16 AM.

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#66 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:32 AM

I'm looking at 2 guns when I turn 18, a 1911, and a lever action rifle for hunting. The handgun would be used for self defense even though Canada is very anal on hand guns as they fall in the "restricted" category meaning to store you have to have the bolt removed from the gun and stored separately (like wtf), and the rifle for hunting (lever action because why the fuck not haha). A silencer would be amazing but the chances of being able to obtain one legally in Canada is very slim

109.gif

#67 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,824 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:23 AM

Silly Canadians and their rules.
What kind of game would you be hunting and what terrain?

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#68 canscom

canscom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:41 AM

Silly Canadians and their rules.
What kind of game would you be hunting and what terrain?

Dont get me started on the stupid gun laws

#69 Praetorian

Praetorian

Skill? Where can I buy that?!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:17 PM

"loaded" M1A best rifle EVER to be put into a persons hands. Team that up with a Glock 34 and you are going to be one lethal SOB if you practice enough

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users