Photo

What to expect on my first day of airball?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 HamsterBall

HamsterBall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:38 AM

I heard that the first time I play airball I will hear lots of paint hitting the air bunkers. And someone told me that most likely I'll be intimidated or iffy to pop my head out with all the paint hitting the bunkers. Is there a way to overcome that?

#2 MrSuperScottish

MrSuperScottish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:23 AM

There's no need to feel intimidated. I try to turn my fear (for lack of a better word) into reactive thinking. So turn "Uh oh, my right side of my bunker is getting lit up" into "Ok, I definitely know that there's at least one guy on the right. I'll head-check left real quick...."

Airball style play tends to be faster, and people act (and shoot) fast. Once I realized that, I stopped worrying about taking and dodging incoming shots.

Long story short, this feeling won't last long. Just keep your wits on the game.:tup:

BTW I read your other posts and I see you're pretty new to paintball. Cool cool!

#3 510waffles

510waffles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:25 AM

Keep your head up and always be looking, obviously if someone is shooting at you and you know where the paint is coming from, dont stick your head out. But be aware of whats on the field as things can change very quickly. You get a lot less scared if you know where theyre shooting you from even if you feel heat. Its just your mind at work.

Edited by 510waffles, 07 September 2012 - 03:27 AM.

#4 Hitman2513

Hitman2513

Save a Rock Throw a Mini

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,589 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:30 AM

Just don't be scared the adrenaline will deal with the pain. Everything is fast and one of the best things to do is communicate with your team knowing each bunker and letting each other know where the opponent is. You don't need a 14 inch barrel or a speedfeed to play even if you have a mech all you need is a decent loader and a compressed air tank to put down a line of paint.

Show good sportsmanship shake their hand after the game wether they hit you or you hit them :)
Posted Image
Bitches love my Spyder Ion

[-ORaNGe-] Trolling isn't an action, it's a lifestyle :)

#5 Hitman2513

Hitman2513

Save a Rock Throw a Mini

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,589 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:36 AM

This is actually one of the most helpful videos I've ever seen. This guy is a great spokesperson unlike Oli Lang :lol:
Posted Image

#6 Hitman2513

Hitman2513

Save a Rock Throw a Mini

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,589 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:40 AM

Don't forget high quality paintball pads are a great investment to help gain confidence comfort and saftey.
For example personally id never play paintball at all without my knee pads and I'd never dive behind snake without elbow pads.
Posted Image

#7 wazupwiop

wazupwiop

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:24 AM

It can be a little noisy. I just played my first game of speedball about 2 months ago. At first, it was a little scary. Balls were flying everywhere, but eventually you learn to shoot back and make them afraid to pop their head out. When I got hit for the first time, I didn't notice it at first, but the pain slowly started to fade in. Its not that is hurt terribly bad, but it was enough to leave a bruise.

#8 Rollieelmo

Rollieelmo

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:44 PM

What to expect your first day?

-Getting shot off the break
-Getting bunkered
-Being the last player on your team and getting run down
-Possibly being shot more than you're used to

In a nutshell, it'll won't be one of your better days. But you WILL get better if you keep playing and reviewing yourself. You'll start off slow, just playing defensively, most likely getting shot out; but you can learn from your mistakes and maybe snap shoot or lane someone else out. Then moving up a few more bunkers, and eventually doing run throughs and winning games. You're first day will probably be rough, but don't let it discourage you.

My first day of airball was the team I'm on's tryouts. My very first game I was sitting in the D1 with tunnel vision on the carwash at their 40. My most recent practice I made the 50 snake off the brake, K'ed their D1 and home, bunkered their snake player, and K'ed their back corner (5 man). It'll take some time, but you will get better.
Rockin' Cocks Revolution
MCB Feedback - Techpb feedback - PBN Feedback

#9 510waffles

510waffles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:29 PM

What to expect your first day?

-Getting shot off the break
-Getting bunkered
-Being the last player on your team and getting run down
-Possibly being shot more than you're used to

In a nutshell, it'll won't be one of your better days. But you WILL get better if you keep playing and reviewing yourself. You'll start off slow, just playing defensively, most likely getting shot out; but you can learn from your mistakes and maybe snap shoot or lane someone else out. Then moving up a few more bunkers, and eventually doing run throughs and winning games. You're first day will probably be rough, but don't let it discourage you.

My first day of airball was the team I'm on's tryouts. My very first game I was sitting in the D1 with tunnel vision on the carwash at their 40. My most recent practice I made the 50 snake off the brake, K'ed their D1 and home, bunkered their snake player, and K'ed their back corner (5 man). It'll take some time, but you will get better.

most decent people will no bunker you if you look like youve only been playing airball for a day.

#10 thycalmesuperman

thycalmesuperman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:53 AM

I did not have that feeling my first time. But I have playd a lot of rec/woods ball at curch growing up... But the fast paced action all the shooting and even the sound of the paint hitting the bunkers is what gives me the rush that makes me keep playing paintball and want to play airball more and more

#11 Rollieelmo

Rollieelmo

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:43 PM

xiocw4erv8jk93

most decent people will no bunker you if you look like youve only been playing airball for a day.

Paintball isn't exactly filled with "decent people".
Rockin' Cocks Revolution

#12 Bear112

Bear112

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:16 PM

The best tip about air ball is to try to be aware of everything that is happening as in who is shooting at you from where, because most of the time you will be getting shot at. Don't be afraid of snap shooting, it's the funniest part
I love Azodin CS

#13 510waffles

510waffles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:34 PM

xiocw4erv8jk93

Fields arent going to let you play against D4 and above on your first day of airball and ive only seen 95% of bunkering happen in upper divisions as most players in the lower divisions dont have the field awarness or balls to do that.

#14 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:30 PM

You will get shot a lot more than in woodsball. Expect to get shot out of your bunker with a nice stream of paint then take a few more from random shots on the sideline walking out.
Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#15 Rollieelmo

Rollieelmo

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:48 PM

xiocw4erv8jk93

Fields arent going to let you play against D4 and above on your first day of airball and ive only seen 95% of bunkering happen in upper divisions as most players in the lower divisions dont have the field awarness or balls to do that.

I'm sure all fields check every players APPA ranking before every game (because obviously all new players are officially ranked).
Rockin' Cocks Revolution

#16 510waffles

510waffles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:56 AM

I'm sure all fields check every players APPA ranking before every game (because obviously all new players are officially ranked).

Okay, my bad, i left a little too much hope for the world. Terrible refs and terrible field owners are to be expected.

#17 Rollieelmo

Rollieelmo

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:37 PM

Okay, my bad, i left a little too much hope for the world. Terrible refs and terrible field owners are to be expected.

If that is how you actual feel, at least it'll be uplifting when you meet good refs, field owners, and players Posted Image
Rockin' Cocks Revolution

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users