• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 DivineRampage

DivineRampage

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:06 AM

So SD Rampage is having a tryout this weekend, and I was just curious of what type of things work well for tryouts. Tell me what ever you think is good, Thanks!

#2 Tick

Tick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:17 PM

Make random teams, make sure to have them play the positions they actually would play in a game.

Look at their playing style, communicating, edicit, and other things determined by you.

Throw in some of your current players and see how they interact.

PayPal Verified | Over 300 + eBay transactions| 10/0/0

#3 DivineRampage

DivineRampage

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:41 PM

Any specific drills? Im thinking of trying to play some games, in which we will do unexpected things, i want to see how they react, and as well as of couse how they are with teamates.

#4 Tick

Tick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:03 PM

Well drills are for practice, not for trying out.

#5 DivineRampage

DivineRampage

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:31 PM

I was wondering if there were any that are for tryout use. Just curious.
alright thanks!

#6 DivineRampage

DivineRampage

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:31 PM

I was wondering if there were any that are for tryout use. Just curious.
alright thanks!

#7 Tick

Tick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:23 PM

Probably could run a snap shooting drill with them to see how well they are at it, and possibly having them using their gun in their non-dominant hand?

#8 DivineRampage

DivineRampage

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:03 PM

Cool thanks! most of the day will consist of gametime, see how they do.

#9 LV Backpacker

LV Backpacker

Master Member

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,402 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:46 PM

I'd make sure everyone can play both sides of their bunkers. If you see someone using their right hand to shoot out the left side of the bunker or vice versa, they're pretty useless in a game. You should also look at how aggressive they are, maybe do some bunkering drills where they know they'll be shot up to see who is willing to take the pain in order to trade out with someone. To often you'll see someone flinch away while trying to bunker someone and end up getting shot out without taking out the guy they went to bunker.

If you want to get sponsored, present yourself as a mature adult, not a four year old with a crayon.

Posted Image
Gearbag
Feedback

#10 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,496 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:27 PM

keep running back to back to back to back games, nonstop. Give them 3 minutes inbetween games to go get air, pod up, clean up and get back on the field

After about the third game, it'll become VERY clear who are the hustlers, and who isn't

Also, this puts people under pressure, so you can see how they perform. Are they helping their teammates? Are they communicating? Are they taking charge? Are they following instructions? Being a good follower, is just as important as being a good leader. You need good indians and you need good chiefs.

I'd tell them to put their guns in semi auto (to conserve paint), and run them 6 to 10 quick games. With 3 minute breaks, it should be just over an hour of craziness.

You'll see REALLY quickly, who's ready to play paintball at the tournament level, and who isn't.

#11 DivineRampage

DivineRampage

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:20 PM

Mike first of all you have made me very happy, as I have been graced by your wisdom on one of my posts, THANK YOU!!!! You guys both have great advice, and we are planning to be tough on them to see if they can handle the heat. I will follow that advice. Thanks so much for the help guys! Hopefully we have a great tryout, and our family can keep growing!!

#12 crich775

crich775

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:42 PM

Back to back games to test cardio.
Timed 50m dashes w/ marker and full kit.
Hand switch drills timed and notes taken for smoothness.
Crawling speed, timed.
Etc...
Just take standard game things like listed above, but run them timed and out of a game, but watch out, relying on this too much is a killer. Someone who can run snap drills and switch hands in a drill like a king, might not play for crap in a game with pressure.
Also, we used to cap off try-outs with a family BBQ, all the team and new guys+family and kids. You can be the greatest player out there but if your a straight jerk off the field(not talking pits, just daily life) then we don't want you.

Edited by crich775, 14 October 2012 - 03:42 PM.

Rest In Peace Jacob Espindola 1-12-07
OEF Vet 2011-2012, Combat Infantryman Badge Recipient

#13 SamBo

SamBo

• Players Club
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:52 PM

I agree with this guy ^ on knowing there personality, or take 4 or 5 you really like as temporary and take the best 2 or three. ( However many your looking for.) I agree with mike. Don't waste your time with drills. Make sure your team is playing with them. Personally I like a super aggressive team. If it's a situation I want my guy to go bunker somebody I want him to do it no questions asked. I have a guy on our team that will do anything I ask. It could be a 2 on 7 us being down and I tell him to run through the brick wall in the middle of the field and bunker the guy in the A. He would be gone before I got the words out of my mouth. That's what you want some balls to the walls guys that are unpredictable. Or that's the type of player I like. Posted Image

In a nut shell. Do what Mike said

No dirlls.

Just play them in random teams

Make sure you can tell them apart so that you don't credit the wrong person

Take Notes

MEAN BUSINESS DONT WASTE THEIR TIME

#14 DivineRampage

DivineRampage

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:07 AM

Thanks guys!!

#15 lp04

lp04

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:39 PM

Depending on how many show up, give them a number at the start of the try outs, whenever somebody does something good, ask them for their number, or when they do something bad, ask for their number, give or take away points as needed.

#16 Distortion_UK

Distortion_UK

Darkest London

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:56 PM

3v2s and 2v1s really show how hard people are willing to work.

Posted Image

Complete Guide To Paintball Health- http://www.techpb.co...0

How to Play Snake- http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=104279

#17 DivineRampage

DivineRampage

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:24 PM

Depending on how many show up, give them a number at the start of the try outs, whenever somebody does something good, ask them for their number, or when they do something bad, ask for their number, give or take away points as needed.

I REALLY like that idea. the next time we happen to hae a tryout I'm gonna organize that. Thanks!

3v2s and 2v1s really show how hard people are willing to work.

Yes, that is something we ended up doing, and it showed some real weakness, and some real strength. We caught a player who called himself out on a bounce that was VERY clear.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users