• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Gyvanth

Gyvanth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:20 PM

I've been squeaking by using my old Piranha Ext, but it's definitely time for an upgrade. I've been looking at both the Proton and the Etha, and they seem to be pretty nice. I like the durability and kits available for the Etha, but a lot of people tell me Proton when I mention my price range ($3-400). What are your opinions? I mostly play woods but I'm getting more and more into speed.

#2 TheNamesClay

TheNamesClay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:25 PM

etha without a doubt.

#3 picaboo8

picaboo8

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:25 PM

new: etha
used: vice

#4 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,066 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:31 PM

Take that $400 you would use to buy an Etha and buy an Axe or a Vice

#5 Gyvanth

Gyvanth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:37 PM

Take that $400 you would use to buy an Etha and buy an Axe or a Vice

I would, but I need to grab a new tank and hopper as well, all before the West Point Combat Classic, with a job that makes $8.50/hr. It's gonna be tight :P

Edited by Gyvanth, 10 September 2012 - 07:38 PM.

#6 paintballguy2255

paintballguy2255

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:45 PM

Etha.

#7 Dragon1291

Dragon1291

Dragon1291

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:26 PM

Etha.

#8 nighthunter

nighthunter

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:00 PM

Etha.
I love mine more than the Axe tbh, and imo any gun that needs to be pressure tested every time you take it apart (cough, vice) should not be considered as a "good first tournament gun."

Edited by nighthunter, 10 September 2012 - 10:01 PM.

nighthuntersig_edited-1.png

Using a gun that's been hardly maintained and tossed from person to person more than a village whore is hardly a fair way to compare the marker.

#9 crPaliza

crPaliza

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:48 PM

Etha Review:

I love the Etha. It's my first marker and it feels reliable as hell while being backed by a great company. However, if you're looking for something smooth then you would probably want to stay away from this one. Some people get a little bit of vibration and a tiny ping noise from the spring. It's something that doesn't bother me and at least from my experience it tends to fade away when broken in. So why do I love my Etha so much?

Packaging:
- Comes with a nice set of allen keys, huge parts kit, lube, 14.5" Shaft 4 2-piece barrel, very detailed manual, great quality barrel sock, and a nice sturdy case.

Reliability:
- It's a very durable marker built to the same standard as the Ego, Geo, or Etek platforms but at a more affordable price. It was designed to be able to take some hits, is waterproof, and perform even during cold or hot temperatures. Check out the video below.

Efficiency:
- Better than your traditional spool... Some say this is more of a poppet marker even. Flame shield activate!

Bolt:
- Simple design, easy maintenance with a rubber bolt tip. You can remove it easily with or without an allen key. This marker was designed to perform as a tournament level entry marker so it can handle the brittlest of paint without a problem. I shot GI Sportz 4 Stars (not fresh... it was oily and had dimples) with the Etha without a problem. I have also used Empire's RPS Evil with the marker and it didn't skip a beat. In addition, TechPB Mike uses RPS Evil paint on his efficiency test and it performed flawlessly.

Board:
- Super bright LED light which means you can easily adjust any setting even on the sunniest day. The board is super easy to use and on the back of the grip there is a mini-manual in case you forget which color is which setting.

Ergonomics:

- I love how it only uses 1 screw meaning easier access to batteries, tourney lock, etc... It feels durable and comfortable at the same time as opposed to other grips that I feel is too much rubber and can wear out faster.
- The asa is simple and a breeze to use. I love how the macroline does not protrude from the side but direct onto the asa.
- The trigger I would say is best in class for it's price range. 3 point adjustable and comfortable on your finger.
- Easy access to eyes and detents.
- It has the same amazing regulator used by Eclipse's Geos and Egos.
- Lever-lock clamping feedneck
- Composite parts... While some people don't like it they cannot deny that composite is simply more durable and cheaper to make. It's even used on real modern weapons!

Modular:
- Last but not least Eclipse will be coming up with a "EMC Kit" which is an optional attachment that you can add to your Etha to make it more tacticool. Therefore, you will be able to make your Etha adapt into a woodsball or speedball environment without changing guns. This is something I'm really looking forward to.

More Reviews:

http://www.pbnation....et_eclipse_etha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbamYhclsUAhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UlaNgnfH6U

#10 MrBk

MrBk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:29 AM

everyone has been mentioning the good in the etha but no one has said anything negative or positive on the proton I'm looking more at that as my next gun then anything else but nobody has even said anything have any of the people who say etha tried the proton or is it like most people saying get there gun because they own it so it must be better
Nassagaweya Assault Unit #88 "The Pianist"

"Rape and Pillage My Friend, Rape and PIillage" -Bush

Sponsors: ANS gear Paintball HQ Ultimate Paintball Virtue

#11 Russian Legion Fan

Russian Legion Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:44 AM

Before you decide, you need to shoot the Etha to see if you like it. When I shot one it felt really nice in the hands and had no barrel rise whatsoever, but it made such a violent vibration when it shot I couldn't stand it. The proton (I shot the aura, but technically there the same) shot very nice, with very little barrel rise and a pretty smooth shot. It also felt very nice in the hands. So I would recommend shooting the Etha, and if you can't, get the Proton.

#12 Karnokr

Karnokr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:16 PM

everyone has been mentioning the good in the etha but no one has said anything negative or positive on the proton I'm looking more at that as my next gun then anything else but nobody has even said anything have any of the people who say etha tried the proton or is it like most people saying get there gun because they own it so it must be better

Because no one knows anything about the Proton except that it is similar to an Aura. They are just starting to get in peoples hands, and is too soon to have any amount of reviews and info on what kind of marker it is. The Etha has been out for months now, a lot of them have been sold and therefore there is a lot of information, reviews and opinions out there of them. If you want any good information on the Proton, your just going to have to give it time.

Or, just buy the Proton and try it out. If you don't like it, sell it. It just came out so demand on the used market will be higher than normal. You might lose a little, but not a lot. Or trade it for an Etha.

Hand of Fate Scenario Paintball Team

http://www.facebook....s/HOFpaintball/

#13 crPaliza

crPaliza

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:52 PM

Because no one knows anything about the Proton except that it is similar to an Aura. They are just starting to get in peoples hands, and is too soon to have any amount of reviews and info on what kind of marker it is. The Etha has been out for months now, a lot of them have been sold and therefore there is a lot of information, reviews and opinions out there of them. If you want any good information on the Proton, your just going to have to give it time.

^
This

#14 MrBk

MrBk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:20 PM

Or, just buy the Proton and try it out. If you don't like it, sell it. It just came out so demand on the used market will be higher than normal. You might lose a little, but not a lot. Or trade it for an Etha.

I understand it's a new gun and sure I would just buy it if I could I am in Canada so it will take longer to get in stock, also I choose not to get an etha as I am not a fan of the poppit spring problem it has so really I am choosing against it because how does the product have a problem like that and not get fixed

#15 XxJellyFilledxX

XxJellyFilledxX

Lead Farmer.

• Chat Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:33 PM

PE would fix any issues due to design flaws. at least in my experiences with them.

i vote etha, even though it is new PE is a great company and will always have your back.

"You can't break a man the way you break a dog or a horse. The harder you beat a man, the taller he stands. To break a man's will, to break his spirit, you have to break his mind."

#16 nighthunter

nighthunter

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:12 PM

I understand it's a new gun and sure I would just buy it if I could I am in Canada so it will take longer to get in stock, also I choose not to get an etha as I am not a fan of the poppit spring problem it has so really I am choosing against it because how does the product have a problem like that and not get fixed

What problem? lol please explain...

nighthuntersig_edited-1.png

Using a gun that's been hardly maintained and tossed from person to person more than a village whore is hardly a fair way to compare the marker.

#17 Gyvanth

Gyvanth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:31 PM

I think I'm set on the Etha then. I did get to test one out and I loved it. I hear a lot of people complaining about smoothness, but as I am upgrading from a PMI Piranha, I think anything will feel 1000x smoother for me :P

#18 crPaliza

crPaliza

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:00 AM

I choose not to get an etha as I am not a fan of the poppit spring problem it has so really I am choosing against it because how does the product have a problem like that and not get fixed

Yes,
There's actually no reported problems with the Etha that I know of. The main complaints people get are the vibration it gets and the slight ping noise it makes when shooting which are not problems. Once broken in, your Etha should shoot smoother and the ping noise should also fade. I know that's exactly what happened with mine... No ping noise and a bit smoother. Also people seem to pay a whole lot of attention to "smoothness" on a marker but in the end when you're playing in the middle of a match I doubt that's going to affect your game at all.

I think I'm set on the Etha then. I did get to test one out and I loved it. I hear a lot of people complaining about smoothness, but as I am upgrading from a PMI Piranha, I think anything will feel 1000x smoother for me :P

That's good to hear! I think you'll find that it's an amazing marker! :tup:

Edited by crPaliza, 12 September 2012 - 01:03 AM.

#19 MrBk

MrBk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:56 PM

With the etha being an inline poppit there is a poppit spring in the bolt so after use the poppit spring will bend causing it to not shoot properly over 230 fps I have seen many people have this problem and idk if its just Canada but it seems like every time I'm in badlands or just out on the field with someone who has recently gotten an etha they have this problem PE has noticed this problem and said they will fix it there is no hate on PE they are a great company with great equipment sorry if it came across that way but this problem is something I feel should be fixed before it was sold

#20 Goozen

Goozen

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:32 PM

The etha DOES have the poppet spring problem. After about 6-7 cases sometimes less the spring get's bent and causes the gun to act funny. Planet Eclipse recognized this and if you let them know they will send you new springs FREE of charge. The spare parts kit also comes with an extra...sooo...yeah.

Are you buying new or used? If buying used let me know and i'll hook you up with a good deal.

#21 Gyvanth

Gyvanth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:20 PM

Are you buying new or used? If buying used let me know and i'll hook you up with a good deal.

At first I was set on buying new, then I looked at how much my cart at ANSGear totaled out to and I started slamming my head into my desk.

I'm definitely interested in a good used deal! Send me a PM with the info and we can start working a deal out.

#22 lp04

lp04

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:37 PM

here is my take on the proton

I am an ex-owner of a 2011 Mokal Aura, While the gun shot and felt nice it did have some kinks in it that the Proton has addressed. The programming on the board was something that you would find in a $125 electronic gun and could not keep it shooting consistantly in PSP 12.5 not something that you would want to use in serious competetive play.
Also the trigger was garbage, Could not keep a steady stream with it.

I recieved my Proton today, Opening the package I was impressed with what I saw. The gun was in a cardboard box with a foam cut out for the gun, it included a parts kit with o-rings to keep the gun in service for a long time, it also included an extra set of detents and springs.

First thing I did was to play with the trigger, and I must give it to Valken, This trigger is nice, there is 0 side to side play but the pull was a bit stiff. I will be cutting down the spring a couple coils and this should losen it up a bit and keep the responsiveness needed to reset the trigger.

After I played with the trigger, I then took the front grip off and set the board up to PSP 12.5 re-installed the front grip and noticed that it was easier to align than the previous aura model, Turned the gun on and the eyes off and clicked the noid, PSP was easily kept like it is supposed to be instead of the aura where you had to walk the trigger to keep a stream.

I have a scuba tank but unluckily only had about 300 psi in it, So i screwed the tank into the ASA on the Proton. and attatched the fill nipple to my filling station on the scuba tank. Put my Vlocity jr onto the marker and adjusted the feedneck accordingly.

I put a pod of paint into my loader, turned the gun on and starting shooting in PSP 12. The gun shot wonderfully, a low sound signature ( using a deadly wind null barrel ) and very low felt recoil. I ended up shooting the scuba tank down to around 150 psi and at that point I was no longer able to get full velocity out of the Proton ( guessing around 220 fps ).

I then attatched my other tank to my infinity legend and although it was not able to get full velocity out of the 150 psi it was shooting slightly hotter than the Proton.

First impressions of the Proton are great, The marker is super light, feels great in the hands, small but yet comfortable for a big person ( i'm 6 ft 245 lbs ) very thin overall and also short. Internal air routing.Feedneck is high quality, the trigger is about the best you will find on a stock marker especially for the price Very smooth firing, low sound signature and the ASA is one of the easiest to use on the market.

The bad? there are no upgrades available for it, however I do not think that the gun needs anything.

I took a few pictures of the gun, 1 by itself and 1 comparing its size to an Infinity Legend. So here are the pictures.

Posted Image
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users