• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:13 PM

In football practice we do 2 hours a day for everyday except Sunday. It is very leg heavy. I don't mind the soreness in the quads and calfs but my knees are killing me.

The pain is on the side of my knees, maybe an inch or 2 below the cap. It doesn't feel like a sore muscle, it hurts. Like a sore tendon or something I guess. It is on both sides of both knees, mostly the insides. It can also go down a little bit. It hurts to move any bit.

I never have any sort of pain staying still, moving hurts. If I sit down with my feet down it hurts when I move like always. If my feet are decently high up it seems to help a small amount once I start moving again. Jogging helps a huge amount, as does rubbing it. The good feeling from jogging/running/exercise/rubbing or whatever it may be goes away after 10 or 15 mins of inactivity.

For football I rub my knees so I can run the half mile we do before practice and I'm good to go with minimal pain unless we are standing for a few mins.

Icing didn't help it feel better. What is this? The fact that rubbing and jogging makes it better and how it is on both knees makes me 100% sure it is just overworked. The question is what is overworked and how can I get it to heal as fast as possible. I can't take a day or two off from Football, I'd rather deal with the pain. Our coaches told us week 1 that soreness is not an injury and you must deal with it.

Should I be concerned? Going down and up the stairs is a real killer too. I'm posting this because it isn't the typical soreness, I make a funny face in pain trying to get out of a chair.

Edited by The Bacon Man, 13 September 2012 - 06:20 PM.

#2 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,064 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:48 PM

We are not doctors....

GO TO A DOCTOR

#3 Rhino1909

Rhino1909

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:02 PM

go ask a doctor or google it

#4 ShakeWeight

ShakeWeight

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:31 PM

Like they said go to a doctor. Possibly tore something, or somethings outta place.

#5 TheNamesClay

TheNamesClay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:49 PM

http://en.wikipedia....hlatter_disease . i got this when playing lacrosse through middle and high school. its very common and your trainer should be able to tell if thats what it is.

#6 Old Dude PB

Old Dude PB

Safety third.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:12 PM

If we're playing diagnosis bingo, I want the square labeled "chondromalacia patellae."

http://en.wikipedia....alacia_patellae

#7 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:20 PM

There is no lump, it sounds most similar to what Old Dude PB posted. I'm not concerned now, I took a shower and the past hour my knees have been fine and dandy. The past few days a shower didn't do anything. I'll update tomorrow, it's looking good right now.

#8 Sasquatch

Sasquatch

Uhhh.. I bought another gun..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,469 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:47 AM

I call Iliotibial Band Syndrome.

But seriously, all we can do on the forum is throw out links to various knee problems. Go get checked by the doctor, or at least talk to your team trainer about it. They can help much more than we can.

I will laugh as they overwhelm our enemies in a flurry of spotted banana hammocks.

Sasquatch's BST Feedback Thread
Check out my Ebay sales!

#9 dayofthedead

dayofthedead

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:41 PM

I am going through the same kinda thing right now. I will be going for Xrays, Ultrasound and MRI next week. It may be the LCL tendon, you may have done something to it. LCL location. But go to a doctor.

#10 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:20 PM

This morning it was much better and today for football we just got pads. Practice tomorrow and off sunday, I'll be fine. Thanks guys.

#11 LV Backpacker

LV Backpacker

Master Member

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,402 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:41 PM

Seriously go see the trainer. I had osgood schlatter and at first it wasn't to bad and I ignored it. A week later, I was on the ground at basketball practice in in excruciating pain and couldn't finish out the season. Its better to talk to your trainer or a doctor when it starts, then play through it and ruin your season.

If you want to get sponsored, present yourself as a mature adult, not a four year old with a crayon.

Posted Image
Gearbag
Feedback

#12 Distortion_UK

Distortion_UK

Darkest London

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:52 PM

I am going through the same kinda thing right now. I will be going for Xrays, Ultrasound and MRI next week. It may be the LCL tendon, you may have done something to it. LCL location. But go to a doctor.

LCL stands for lateral crucial ligament. Its not a tendon.

It sounds from the description youve gave to be a strain of lateral ligaments in your knee. Depeding how severe it is can leave you out for 1 week to 3 months. Seeing as youre still able to move about id guess at about 2 weeks would be sufficient.

You need to Rest it by limiting your movement drasticly. Keep it warm. Dont ice it. Use compression bandages and keep it elevated.

Theres only so much I can say from sitting at a computer. If I was there I could identify the problem pretty easily just by touching your knee and asking you to flex and extend. As everyone says. Go to a doctor or a physio as they can do a propper assesment.

As for your coach tell him that he is a fucking moron and wont ever coach a decent side if he still believes in the same bullshit from 50 years ago. Fucking yourself up isnt worth it. Skipping 2 weeks now will ensure you dont miss a whole season when you need knee surgery and that will later cut short your football playing before you even reach 25. Be smart.

Posted Image

Complete Guide To Paintball Health- http://www.techpb.co...0

How to Play Snake- http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=104279

#13 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:03 PM

It was better this morning by a good amount, I iced all over my knee and took a hot shower, worked wonders. I'll do this for a couple days, if it gets worse tomorrow I'll tell my coach. It seems much better now that is the only reason I am playing. When it gets worse I will stop. I doubt it is an injury being it is the same on each leg.

#14 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,064 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM

I doubt it is an injury being it is the same on each leg.

That is where you might be wrong.

#15 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:37 PM

I messed up with exactly where the pain was, thinking back. Everyone seems to be confused (great info) but it seems everyone has a different idea. I know you guys aren't doctors, but I thought posting an image of the pain would help.

Posted Image

This is mainly where the pain is besides a few sore muscles around it. The sore muscles around it I have felt before, not what I am talking about. It is in that little space between my shin and calf. The redness and blueness you see is because I just took a hot shower, my legs always are like that. There is no discoloration or swelling. Being it is in that small space, it could be muscle, and it just it a different feeling sore. If I don't see it getting better, I will go to the doctor.

It never hurts unless I move it, moving my knee forward and back doesn't hurt, it is more small twists and stairs. I talked to my dad, he strongly believes it is just overworked. He is fairly knowledgeable with this sort of stuff.

Today I iced and took a shower again... works amazingly. Did this yesterday too.

Edited by The Bacon Man, 14 September 2012 - 09:27 PM.

#16 Sasquatch

Sasquatch

Uhhh.. I bought another gun..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,469 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:02 AM

Difficult to tell, but that looks like the medial (inside) part of your leg, closest to your other leg. Right?

If that's correct, the area you are pointing to would imply that the pain is from the tibia itself, or the lower connection of the MCL, as there isn't much in terms of muscle there to be sore.

Posted Image

I will laugh as they overwhelm our enemies in a flurry of spotted banana hammocks.

Sasquatch's BST Feedback Thread
Check out my Ebay sales!

#17 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:18 AM

That could be it, very possible. My knees are amazing today, but I'm not going to practice we start hitting today and we are off tomorrow. I'll take advantage of a 2 day break.

#18 Doctor Hank

Doctor Hank

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:52 AM

Honestly you are probably just sore. Assuming you had a relatively easy summer with little strenuous activity, your knees are not exactly going to be use to the amount of force being put on them right away. It is the same theory behind why you are super sore after lifting for the first time in a while. Your knees are a primary load bearing joint in the body, second only to your lumbar spine, and given that you are doing a lot of squatting and explosive workouts, the knees will be taking a lot of the punishment. I highly doubt you sprained/tore your LCL, ACL, PCL, MCL, or any other ligament or cartilage in the knee, since that would have caused excruciating pain, your knee would be much more lax in terms of being able to be displaced to the side of injury, and you would barely be able to support yourself, let alone practice still. Unless you have a visible lump, I highly doubt Osgood-Schlatter. ITB syndrome and Chondro patallae are both possible, but still the treatment for all three is simply RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) I.E. take a break. In other words, if you are feeling better, you pretty much know already you were simply just sore. Knees at a young age rarely give out unless subjected to significant trauma. If it starts up again, then by all means go see your doc (cant tell a thing from that one pic), but just take advantage of the 2 day break like you said. Ice them a little, take some ibuprofen or other NSAID you have lying around, and thats it.

Now buy my tanks/rotor.

Edited by Doctor Hank, 15 September 2012 - 10:53 AM.

#19 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:43 PM

Sorry for the late reply. My dad thinks it's just muscle, my coach thinks it's just muscle and Doctor Hank I assume is a Doctor (if not he seems to be knowledgeable ) and he thinks it's muscle. It acts like muscle would, I have taken a day off here and there but it goes back to hurting (not as bad) again once I start playing again. I'm gonna talk to my coach about sitting out for 3-5 days. In my past muscle injuries and soreness even themselves out after a while and the pain slowly goes. Knees though... These things are putting up a fight. I'd rather let them heal and miss the first game than suffer all season.

Conditioning wise 4 days without it couldn't hurt and I can still watch our plays and drills.

#20 Demon

Demon

Master Tech

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:50 PM

just saying, i have had alot of relatives and friends who played on bum knees etc, my uncle is in his early 40's and can't hardly standup on his own. just keep that in mind, don't fuck around with injuries get it checked. don't EVER assume.

Mad Cow Paintball referee and tech
UNL Husker Paintball
"Let's play a game of go fuck yourself, you first..."

My Feedback

#21 Distortion_UK

Distortion_UK

Darkest London

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:04 PM

Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups

Posted Image

Complete Guide To Paintball Health- http://www.techpb.co...0

How to Play Snake- http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=104279

#22 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:07 PM

Monday I went to an orthopedist. There is a wide area in the front where your hamstrings connect, that area is inflamed and irritated. 1 week out of any physical activity and 1 month of P.T. To strengthen it. That in combo with prescription anti inflamitories and I'll be good to go. I have a follow up on Monday to get cleared.

Edited by The Bacon Man, 28 September 2012 - 07:27 PM.

#23 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:40 PM

Saturday I ran probably 2x the amount as practice, was perfectly fine. Starting Football practice again tomorrow.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users