7 replies to this topic

#1 Dragon1291

Dragon1291

Dragon1291

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:01 PM

So, i've been itching for a stock class phantom. Been looking for information accross the forums, however I still have a few questions:

-Is it necessary to have a gauge on the back? Is it useful for knowing when you are low on CO2?

-Is there anything different I would need to do to run HPA? I've read that some needed to change their valve springs, while others can get away with it.

-How consistent is a phantom generally on a 12 gram? How many shots can I expect?

#2 pb=life

pb=life

I like penguins

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,135 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:48 PM

1. no, kind of
2. no
3. +/- 5, 25-35 at about 80 degrees shooting 275

#3 madsnipes

madsnipes

CARNAGE 3!!!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,055 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:30 PM

ya pretty much what he ^^^ said.

about the shot count though, once you get used to using 12gs you will instinctively know when you will be running low on co2 soon

#4 The Inflicted

The Inflicted

⊥ɥǝ Iuɟl!ɔʇǝp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:18 PM

So, i've been itching for a stock class phantom. Been looking for information accross the forums, however I still have a few questions:

-Is it necessary to have a gauge on the back?

No. Not only is the gauge not necessary, it's not particularly useful on mine.
I put a gauge on my valvebody just for the hell of it.

Is it useful for knowing when you are low on CO2?

The gauge will NOT tell you how many shots of CO2 you have left in a cartridge because of the way liquid CO2 behaves- the gas is self-regulating to an extent.
A full 12-gram will display 800psi.
A 12-gram that's one-shot away from being nearly empty will also display 800psi.
By the time the pressure on the gauge starts to drop, you will already be able to tell that the cartridge is nearly spent because the velocity will drop and the sound the gun makes will change.

-Is there anything different I would need to do to run HPA? I've read that some needed to change their valve springs, while others can get away with it.

It depends on the gun.
I've owned 3 Phantoms and ran two on HPA. Didn't have to re-spring either one to switch gasses.
But yeah, like you I've read of people who need to use different mainsprings. No big deal- takes about 45 seconds to do.

-How consistent is a phantom generally on a 12 gram?

Very consistent, but like any gun on CO2 you're going to see more deviation when it's very cold or hot outside.
HPA is better, but not dramatically so. It's also louder for some reason.
I run my Phantom off of HPA for cost/convenience reasons.

How many shots can I expect?

At least 25 or 30. My first VSC got 35 out of the box before drop-off, but I've heard that's unusual.
With tuning and underboring you can get 40 or more.

#5 Dragon1291

Dragon1291

Dragon1291

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:07 PM

Why do people have a gauge on their phantom them? Just for the hell of it?

#6 The Inflicted

The Inflicted

⊥ɥǝ Iuɟl!ɔʇǝp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:10 PM

Why do people have a gauge on their phantom them? Just for the hell of it?

Mostly, yeah. That's why I drilled and tapped mine for one. It's just kind of fun to look at.

It did come in handy once or twice when I had some Guerilla regs that were malfunctioning. On my other guns, the gauges are after the input regulator, so I had no idea the tank regs were spiking until my Phantom registered unusually high pressures.

#7 Dragon1291

Dragon1291

Dragon1291

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:15 AM

How effective are the detent rings at preventing rollouts? Would it be wise to invest in a TechT iFit Kit?

#8 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,824 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:44 AM

How effective are the detent rings at preventing rollouts? Would it be wise to invest in a TechT iFit Kit?

They work well enough to get the job done, but an underbored barrel is better in just about every way but price.
Instead of the iFit (Which costs $100 + $25 for the new pump handle), I would just get the barrel bored for Freak inserts which is usually $40 for the boring and $12 per insert (I use a .675 and a .679 with mine).

BST Feedback 21/0/0

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users