• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#51 brycelarson

brycelarson

Show me the Data!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,588 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

I have been using a hammerhead barrel that is .084 and have found it to be more accurate than my .681, .678 smooth bores. Any ideas as to why?

Do you have data showing that it's more accurate? In general anecdotal perception is a poor measure of actual performance.

#52 The Dad

The Dad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

No data, just observation which is part of scientific method. Maybe, I should say more consistant ball flight probably due to not underboring to much. Just curious as to why punkworks helped to make a barrel with boring sizes of .680, .685, .690 then called it an underbore, when most of their data seems to point to ball/ bore match or slight undersizing....
I really appreciate all the hard work that punkworks has put into paintball for those of us who are trying to learn more about paintballing and the are a great inspiration to those who want to be analytical in their pursuits.

#53 The Dad

The Dad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

The above barrel kit GnB underbore barrel kit mentions your site as a collaborative effort in the making of these barrels..... Do you feel these are a better barrel than the rest and if so, is there data to support this.....

#54 brycelarson

brycelarson

Show me the Data!

• 8,588 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

They didn't really go as far as we suggested but they based their design partially on our work. The Lurker barrels and the FLASC kits are actually the closest barrels on the market to our optimal barrel design.

We like:
Slight underbore - .003-.005
Long control bore - aprox. 9.5" is a good length.
Overbored tip with porting - total barrel length in the 14-16" range is best.

We were unable to repeat Hammerhead's results in our accuracy testing.

#55 The Dad

The Dad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

Thanks for the information Bryce, I really enjoy reading all the postings and data that you have provided.

Thanks for the information Bryce, I really enjoy reading all the postings and data that you have provided.

#56 drg

drg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

I have been using a hammerhead barrel that is .084 and have found it to be more accurate than my .681, .678 smooth bores. Any ideas as to why?

Placebo effect is assumed unless you have data that can be independently verified.
Keep your pump hand strong!
PUMPPB.COM TIGHTSTICK - Custom LAPCO 1-piece underbore barrel! SALE!
PUMPPB.COM - Pump paintball forums
HawaiiPB.com - Paintball forums for the state of Hawaii
HawaiiPB/PumpPB - Our videos

#57 The Dad

The Dad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

Possibly or it could be that colder temps have an effect on the shell and it's contents, thereby allowing the rifling to engage the ball better. Has anyone done studies on the effects of temperature on paintballs, and flight. I do have more barrel breaks when underboring .078 with ..085

#58 Troy

Troy

What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

Possibly or it could be that colder temps have an effect on the shell and it's contents, thereby allowing the rifling to engage the ball better. Has anyone done studies on the effects of temperature on paintballs, and flight. I do have more barrel breaks when underboring .078 with ..085

Data or shins.

Edited by Troy, 24 January 2013 - 09:34 PM.

\m/

#59 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,112 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:32 PM

lots of talk, no data :(
The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

And yes, Gordon is the sexiest manifestation of "to the front."

#60 brycelarson

brycelarson

Show me the Data!

• 8,588 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

So you're shooting .685 paint in a .678 barrel in the cold? Yeah, that sounds about right.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users