#1 NJC

NJC

pumper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:02 PM

http://socialpaintba...zine-on-hiatus/

I split my vote, half for etekgirl's body, half for her mind, because I respect a woman's mind just as much as her cans.
*Waits to get hit*

#2 madsnipes

madsnipes

CARNAGE 3!!!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,055 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:37 AM

#3 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:24 AM

no advertising, advertising in paintball has COMPLETELY dried up. Dried up on forums, dried up in magazines, dried up for sponsorship, it's dried up

This was paintball advertising in 2001-

Posted Image

This is paintball advertising in 2012-

Posted Image

Advertising is what keeps your magazine in business, subscriptions are your profit.

No advertising, no magazine

With facebook, twitter, youtube, and the other social media channels for business, they don't need to advertise anymore. Dye has 246,390 likes on their Facebook page. If someone sneezes on a keyboard at Dye, 246,390 people know about it INSTANTLY, across their computers AND their mobile devices..... FREE of charge!

How can anyone keep up with that?

Go to Dye and tell them "Hey, if you guys buy advertising in my magazine for $2,000 a page, you'll be able to reach 10,000 subscribers in two months when the magazine is printed!"

$2,000 for an ad in two months, that reaches 10,000 people

OR

Free, 246,390 people.... in the next 30 seconds.....

(poof) I loved Facefull Magazine, but no one can compete with Youtube or Facebook in regards to advertising, no one. Not TechPB, not PBN, not Facefull, no one. Advertising has dried up, it's gone

#4 slinkyaroo

slinkyaroo

Yes, I'm old. Yes, I'm cranky.

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,863 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:04 PM

Also with FB and electronic media you can regionalize your advertising dollars. IE a PB shop in Michigan doesn't want to pay national advertising prices. They want local.

The whole hardcopy industry is aching. I know the yellow pages bought up shares in Canada411.com. They had too. The autotrader doesn't rely on hardcopy much. When was the last time anybody here bought a TV guide (which at one point was the number 1 magazine in North American.)

#5 NPpballer

NPpballer

I'm Rick James, BITCH!

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:53 PM

I've still got a few FaceFulls laying around. I loved looking at the pictures when I was new to the sport. I've got one magazine that has a bunch of info on older guns. It's cool that I can look at them and actually know what they are.

#6 HillTribe

HillTribe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:49 AM

Its the nature of business. They could not keep a healthy margin, they died.

#7 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:40 PM

Personally, I don't see this as a failure on behalf of Facefull, not in the slightest

They put out a VERY high quality publication, for many many years. They were edgy, their magazines were amazing, the articles and the coverage was awesome.

But like all good things, it has to come to an end.

I think focusing on the end, doesn't provide them with the respect they deserve as a long standing publication of this sport. They did awesome, and when it was time to jump out and pop the chute, they did

#8 SOUP

SOUP

Uber Member

• Members
  • 7,690 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:17 PM

When I was younger I'd get the magazine from Walmart or Meijer every time my mom would take me grocery shopping with her. Sucks to see them go, but Mike made a really good claim about the social media advertising taking its place. Evolution of advertising.

With technology advancing the way it is, I wouldn't be surprised to see more book publishers go out of business too. It's happening as we speak. The E-book industry is rapidly becoming more convenient, so eventually there will be no need for paper books if you can get them on an app, a nook or some other device.

"Silence is a plus, violence is a must"-Tupac

---Indiana Baller---

#9 No Mercy Ever

No Mercy Ever

Sophomore Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:28 PM

Okay, am I missing something? I didn't know that a hiatus meant that they were done for good. From what I read, they are taking a break to determine if it is worthwhile for them to keep going. I can understand that they probably won't have a print magazine after that, but I can see them restructuring to be more like Social Paintball.

#10 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:51 PM

Okay, am I missing something? I didn't know that a hiatus meant that they were done for good. From what I read, they are taking a break to determine if it is worthwhile for them to keep going. I can understand that they probably won't have a print magazine after that, but I can see them restructuring to be more like Social Paintball.

The only thing that is going to determine is if it worthwhile to keep going, is advertising ($$$$$)

And as we all know, paintball companies simply do not need to advertise anymore. They don't advertise in forums, they don't advertise in magazines, they are all taking complete control of their advertising in house.

They are done d00d, no way they can come back, re-establish their sales channels, get a huge infusion of advertising dollars and a huge infusion of subscriptions, plus have the money to pay the labor and design fees to build a whole new magazine for the re-launch

put a fork in it, it's done

Posted Image

#11 SOUP

SOUP

Uber Member

• Members
  • 7,690 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:57 PM

I'm not sure Mike. That meat looks a bit little pink in the middle, I'm not sure I'd consider it done.

"Silence is a plus, violence is a must"-Tupac

---Indiana Baller---

#12 No Mercy Ever

No Mercy Ever

Sophomore Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:06 PM

Call me an optimist or something, I just hope that they can keep going, even if they swap over to a digital format like Paintball X3 magazine.

#13 slinkyaroo

slinkyaroo

Yes, I'm old. Yes, I'm cranky.

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,863 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:36 PM

Honestly X3 disappeared for a while too. :)

#14 No Mercy Ever

No Mercy Ever

Sophomore Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:24 PM

But they are back. Never can tell if Facefull will take that route or not. But I can hope.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users