• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 NinjaDude56

NinjaDude56

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:16 AM

Hey I'm a college student just getting into Paintball and I was wondering what a good budget setup would be. I've only ever played with rentals and I'm totally lost at what to buy for myself. Thanks in advance! :ph34r:

#2 CPS

CPS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:07 AM

budget? make sure you buy a comfortable highend mask first +$70, highend electronic loader +$80, highend 4500 psi tank +$110 and then you should buy a marker

#3 NinjaDude56

NinjaDude56

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:14 AM

Budget is around six hundred...maybe more if I can find a part time job that fits around my class schedule.

#4 junits15

junits15

And now I am become death, destroyer of worlds

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:16 AM

whats your budget?

whatever you buy don't spend less than $50 on a mask, it's whats standing between you and a lost eye.

are you looking for a mechanical gun or an electronic gun?

ok, for 600 you have alot more possibilities

Edited by junits15, 05 October 2012 - 09:16 AM.

Posted Image
Borg you will NEVER be forgotten.
TECHPB FEEDBACK IOG FEEDBACK
I bought an Ion.... in hindsight it was a bit of an Impulse buy

#5 NinjaDude56

NinjaDude56

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:37 AM

Not sure on the mechanical or electronic yet. Which would be best for a new player? Also the budget is liable to change due to various school costs and living expense.

#6 CPS

CPS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:49 AM

being in college id wait till you have a job

#7 newwestswag

newwestswag

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:52 AM

I would go with
a high end mask of your choice $100 or $60 jt proflexes
an invert too loader $75 - http://www.ansgear.c...ooloaderblk.htm
A ninja 68 4500 $150 - http://www.ansgear.c...nk-ghost-68.htm

so all that is $325 or $285 with the proflexes so you have about 300 to spend on a gun the two that would be awesome are.
Proto rail - $250 http://www.ansgear.c..._Gun_s/2427.htm
GoG extcy - $250 http://www.ansgear.c..._Gun_s/2456.htm
It's your choice. and if you have a bit more money I would get a pod pack
http://www.ansgear.c..._Pack_s/765.htm

Have Fun and welcome to TechPB!

#8 Octopus Prime

Octopus Prime

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:58 AM

Definitely job first otherwise you'll have all this gear and no money for paint,entry etc. Then buy used if possible you'll get way better stuff for your money. Then what Herbert said.

#9 unfated33

unfated33

Punk Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:25 PM

Look for a carbon fiber, XX/4500 (where XX is the size in cubic inches, like 50, 68, 72, or 92 for popular sizes) size tank that is used with a new 5-year hydro test. I like to go with swapmytank but there are other tank resellers. Used tanks with a new 5-year hydro and new regulator will probably cost around $100.

A few people have already made good mask recommendations. Pick the best one that doesn't fog, then that is comfortable to wear, then that gives you the largest field of vision. You'll spend anywhere from $70 to $120 by going with one of these: Vforce Profiler, Vforce Grill, Empire E-vents, Proto Pro Axis, Sly Profit, Dye i4, and Empire E-flex. They're all very good masks, but each person has a preference of one over the rest. Because masks have direct body contact with the user, I highly discourage purchasing a used mask that someone has already breathed, spit, sweat, or otherwise secreted into. Just get that thing brand new.

For hoppers, I would encourage you to buy used if possible. You can basically go one of two directions: get a cheaper budget-conscious mid-end hopper or buy a more expensive "super loader". The budget mid-end hoppers are the Spyder Fasta, Invert Halo 2, and Valken V-max. The super loaders are the Virtue Spire, Pinokio, Rotor, and Prophecy Z2. Used prices are going to run the range from about $50 for a budget loader to around $90 for a super loader (Spire being the newest will probably be a bit more or hard to find used).

If you spend $100 on the tank, $70 on the mask, and $90 on the hopper, that leaves you $340 for your marker. Again, look at the used market to try to find a discounted current mid-end marker (like the Axe or Etek 3, for example) or a high end marker from years past. Generally, a high end marker that is a few years old will still be much better than a newer mid-end marker. I would recommend against getting the Rail or eXTCy - popular choices certainly - unless you are just very uncomfortable with the idea of learning how to maintain a used high-end. At $340, you have enough to get any of these:

FEP/Critical Quest
NXT Shocker
Bob Long Alias
Bob Long Protege
Bob Long Marq 7
Proto PM8
Dye DM8 (maybe a DM9)
Planet Eclipse Ego7 (maybe an Ego8)
MacDev Cyborg 7 (maybe a Droid)
Angel A4 or A4 Fly

All of those markers will kick the crap out of a Rail or eXTCy, and since they're used, there's a good chance they will have useful upgrades (though also a good chance they'll have useless upgrades that the owner wants to get recompensated for). Buy something high end that's unusual and fun, then show it off at your local field. Many of these will be rather uncommon or unknown on the fields in my area. I would recommend looking for used markers at your local field, at a site like trademygun, or from the BST board here on TechPB.

Edited by Unfated33, 05 October 2012 - 08:37 PM.

Happiness... is a warm mechanical marker

Mechanical Marker Fan: Azodin Kaos-D / Tippmann Crossover

#10 NinjaDude56

NinjaDude56

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:01 PM

^_^ Wow thanks for all the help guys. Really appreciate it. And Herbert you're correct I'll wait till I find a job.

#11 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:07 PM

^_^ Wow thanks for all the help guys. Really appreciate it. And Herbert you're correct I'll wait till I find a job.

What has been said is really good advice and I cannot put in my input except that buying used gear (besides masks) save you a lot of money.

PM me if you need any more help or just ask around. We are here to help.Posted Image

#12 Rollieelmo

Rollieelmo

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:00 PM

I'd recommend not trying to use all your $600 budget. If you don't currently have a job, how are you supposed to buy paint and entry if you already spent all your money on gear? Keep the cost of playing in mind.
Rockin' Cocks Revolution
MCB Feedback - Techpb feedback - PBN Feedback

#13 Zach98

Zach98

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:52 AM

Imo you should get Sly Profits for a mask/dye i4's, invert halo too, 68/4500 tank carbon fibre and the rest on a gun. If looking to buy new go for a extcy or rail. Dont even look near the g4, or even better look at used guns. I'd say protege from my experience but thats just me

#14 Speedball14

Speedball14

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:42 PM

Hey I'm a college student just getting into Paintball and I was wondering what a good budget setup would be. I've only ever played with rentals and I'm totally lost at what to buy for myself. Thanks in advance! :ph34r:

Azodin Kaos
JT Proflex
Gurilla Air 48/3k
Halo too

#15 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:45 PM

Azodin Kaos no
JT Proflex yes
Gurilla Air 48/3k no
Halo too no

Edited by kingJurzy, 10 October 2012 - 05:45 PM.

#16 µ_reflexes

µ_reflexes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:16 AM

I have a job and I'm stepping out of x-ball for a bit because I can't afford it at the mo (2nd year university). :/ Follow what Unfated33 said, especially since the mask it 90% preference (I can't wear dyes since they don't fit, don't like the sound when I'm yelling in grillz, etc), and a good carbon tank will last you a long time :P

Definitely pick up used as your first gun. Better to learn to maintain something used and broken in than brand new IMO, again, could get some upgrades that interest you or really help the gun. Hell I started with a virtued Ion... a freaking brick, but I learned a ton off of that thing and it still works as a backup today! xD (trolls step away from the ion flamewar!)

just my .02
Nothing better than the smell of paint in the morning.... okay maybe paint AND napalm... but thats it.

BOB LONG G6R FS/T

#17 bassfisher

bassfisher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:34 PM

Play pump, you can get a used trilogy for ~ $100, a proto primo for $15, tank for $150, and mask for $100.

So, after all that It's about $350-400, leaving $200 for playing which will last a while.
Carolina Riot Scenario Team

#18 Aulldeath

Aulldeath

Pain is irrelevent, yet inevitable.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,556 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:48 PM

Masks, best budget mask is the Proflex. It's the cheapest of the best masks, and is still a amazing mask.

For a hopper, the Invert Too is probably the cheapest electronical hopper that is worth it, will keep up with anything you need.

For a tank, you're going to be looking at least $120 for it. Really, any tank that is a 4500 PSI tank will do you good, usually the size of the tank does not differ the price. I would suggest the 68 cubic inch, since it usually fits more players better.

For a gun, the Invert Mini is a amazing shooter for right around $320 or less.

I DO NOT suggest pump for new players, since it takes alot of skill to play pump and pistol play.

Personally, I think for your first gun, you should go with a upgraded Ion. Those things can last FOREVER and are actually really nice shooters. Make sure it has a L7 bolt, a non-stock trigger, and a new barrel (I would go with a Freak barrel personaly), and that thing can RIP.
Posted Image
Yes, I work at Wal*Mart, got a problem with that?

#19 RampageEtek3

RampageEtek3

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:46 PM

This video should help you in every way possible

#20 Acogg97

Acogg97

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:45 AM

well the empire vidar mask just came out and its pretty sweet. really cheap and yet comfy to wear. but like these guys are saying, go used with gear. maybe pickup a mask or pads/pants (if you want) new, then gun/hopper used. most feilds rent "steely" tanks now instead of co2 so you can rent air that way, then upgrade to a carbonfiber tank if you stick with the sport...

just try to spend more money playing, less on gear!
Paintboarder1 on youtube.com

#21 cpuwhiz22

cpuwhiz22

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:15 PM

I know most people advise against buying a used mask, but to be honest I guess it's really personal preference. I picked up an E-Vents that was hardly used with two lenses, and I love it. I had good pictures of it before buying so I knew that the lenses were not scratched and that the foam was in good shape. I only paid $40 for it and it was a great investment.

I also picked up an eXTCy for around $200 (though you can get them cheaper). I am very happy with it. It's a great electro marker for the price, it is very durable, and will work on CO2 and HPA. This is also something you should consider. Where are you going to play? If you are playing at fields you will have access to HPA most likely, but if you are playing outlaw you may not have access to HPA, and most electro markers won't run CO2 out of the box (most can, but it requires the right parts and configuration).

I personally would not recommend you put too much in the marker, since it will not make a beginner any better. It's better to save some money up front so you can improve your skills before investing too much in a marker. No sense in having the best marker until you can use it well.

#22 Rollieelmo

Rollieelmo

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:11 PM

OP hasn't posted in almost a month, just let it die.
Rockin' Cocks Revolution
MCB Feedback - Techpb feedback - PBN Feedback

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users