• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Tick

Tick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:17 PM

Alright so I've been working at my local field for a couple months after finally playing there for a couple years. I'm learning the tools of the trade, what works and what doesn't with groups. For smaller private games (2 parties of 10-20 ea/party) I know what I need to do to get their attention and get the ball rolling.

Today was the first time my owner wanted me to completely do everything myself, including all of the gun rules, safety guidelines, tech tips, ref tips, game types, and basic rules. It was like every single fucking time I started a sentence one of the kids who were from 11-14 years old, would start dicking around, causing me to have to yell at him. Off course I hate to do that but I need to do my job. So I've got all that stuff down, I got a pretty nice compliment from my owner for doing a good job with everything so far (even though I'm a hard worker).

So we're all good right? I got everything explained and everything is good?

How about NO.
It was like every single game there was one or two of the kids blind firing. Which, of course I have to call them out. One of them was fine with it, the other wasn't so much. Let's all this fucker Clown1.

Clown1 was such a fucking prick to me the entire game. A couple games before I called him out for blind firing, hitting myself and the owner repeatedly, he took off his mask in the game. Which we take their gun away for a game so they learned what they did wrong. Clown1 was fine with it, and he explained what he did wrong and everything. I was like, "good". From there on, this kid would not stop blind firing from behind bunkers. I got shot so many fucking times from this blind firing, now don't get me wrong. I know that I'm a ref and I know I will get shot anywhere from 5-20 times a day. But like jesus fucking christ. This kid shot my 4 times in a couple seconds. I went over to call him out for what seemed like the thousandth time, and I got shot again! Not only that, but he denied that he was doing it. I was just like get the fuck off the field. Another thing was, before the game started on the field, he took off his mask so he could "tighten it". When I told my owner about this he was like "you literally had 10 minutes between games to do that. sit out a game". This Clown1 was just a dick to the owner and myself. The funniest thing was that his friends told him that he was wrong and should sit out more games for being nippy with me and not listening. I was like

"FUCK YEA MUTHAFUCKA"

But yea, the lady who organized the party was funny. Our field's neighbors were taking down a couple trees and she came up to the owner who was trying to fix some kids gun and was like "why are you cutting down those trees?!!?!?!?" My owner was just like "dafuq lady, how can I be cutting down trees when I'm fixing your kids gun?" Oh yea, and now it goes to that kid, let's call him Clown2.

Clown 2 was the only kid in the group with his own gear. Obviously, I had to check his tank for hydro, it was clean, but the tank leaked. My owner spent 2 hours trying to fix it and gave the kid spare parts and told him how to do everything and stuff. Of course, free of charge. This kid honestly had a sexy Toxic Impulse. Which he claimed had been sitting in storage for more than 5 years. I'm like okay! first thing he does is put paint in his gun and his tank, WITHOUT A FUCKING COVER. I'M LIKE ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS. The worst part was, I told him to put it on, it fact I screamed it. He put it on, and then got to his other gear and took it off again. I'm like are you fucking kidding me. This kid's impulse also had a low HPR. Which I spent every single fucking one of my "in between breaks" trying to fix it, and he kept harassing me and asking me "why haven't you fixed it yet" or "when is it gonna be ready". I'm like I'm doing the best I could. I finally got it working and the kid was just like "cool". Also, I let the kid have a free gun rental because he gun went down, and like jesus christ kid, do we need to do everything for you? He had no idea what an HPR, LPR, ASA, Pressures, Cycling, was or how those processes work. He claimed that "I made his gun leak"....

OH FUCKING REALLY? I SPENT MY BREAKS FIXING IT, MAKING IT SHOOT, AND ALL I GET IS A "YOU MADE MY GUN LEAK". WELL FUCK YOU, YOU SHOULD HAVE TECHED YOUR GUN BEFORE YOU CAME HERE LITTLE BITCH CLOWN2.

I think that's about it.

I think if I came off with one small thing from today. I learned that I need to give a little more respect to people. I now see how irritating it is.

Tl;dr

read it

PayPal Verified | Over 300 + eBay transactions| 10/0/0

#2 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:26 PM

I feel you bro, I work at my local field aswell.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

#3 REDCOBRA

REDCOBRA

wow such paintball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:30 PM

I've thought about working at a field during summer but I see what the refs have to put up with , then I think, F that...

Posted Image

#4 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,069 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:30 PM

lol

#5 CdnNinja

CdnNinja

The cake is a lie.

• Members
  • 21,798 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:32 PM

Sort of almost know that feel bro.

40k-1.png

#6 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • 9,069 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:37 PM

^^^^^^^^
dat quote

#7 SoCalPB22

SoCalPB22

Just Addictied...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:17 PM

Good story .. But hate those types of kids who play our wonderful sport

Edited by SoCalPB22, 08 October 2012 - 09:18 PM.

#8 gibbeepbroxzor

gibbeepbroxzor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:18 PM

Its a love/hate relationship. In my two years of reffing I've had to deal with so much shit its pathetic. One of our other refs seriously had a kid peeing on the field during the game. ON THE FIELD. Like, wtf. There are so many stupid ass kids who do whatever they want, and so many ignorantasfuck adults who think they can do whatever the fuck they want. I've cussed out customers before. Felt like shit later, cause I knew I couldn't be doing it.... but sometimes its the pricks that don't stop because they KNOW its annoying you, that make you break.

Honestly though, I've had some truly wonderful experiences while being a ref, whether it was a private group, or reffing the usual players. Since I've moved, I really do miss it. And the money haha

#9 Tick

Tick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:26 PM

Its a love/hate relationship. In my two years of reffing I've had to deal with so much shit its pathetic. One of our other refs seriously had a kid peeing on the field during the game. ON THE FIELD. Like, wtf. There are so many stupid ass kids who do whatever they want, and so many ignorantasfuck adults who think they can do whatever the fuck they want. I've cussed out customers before. Felt like shit later, cause I knew I couldn't be doing it.... but sometimes its the pricks that don't stop because they KNOW its annoying you, that make you break.

Honestly though, I've had some truly wonderful experiences while being a ref, whether it was a private group, or reffing the usual players. Since I've moved, I really do miss it. And the money haha

My field owner treats his employees SO WELL.

It's honestly ridiculous how well he treats us without raping us with work or price raping the customers.

#10 Klub

Klub

i haz a pickle

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:07 PM

I've learned that screaming doesn't get the point across very well to people in the 13-22 age range. Generally, if a person is blind firing, I don't call them out if it is an all renter game or a private party. I'll walk up to them and ask them to come out with the gun. If they keep blind firing, I'll call them out.

With teching guns, I'll generally do it for free if it is an easy fix. If I can't get it fixed and it takes over an hour, I'll still charge $5 for my time, if I fix it, it's $10 for every hour it took to fix it plus parts I had to replace.

If a kid keeps taking his mask off, I'll give him a warning the first time, 2nd time he sits out and the third time he is done for the day, no refund. If it is a private party, it goes the same way except I'll get the group together and give them 1 big warning before the 3rd time happens. After that it becomes a no warning policy and we just stop letting people play.
I've only had to make 1 person stop playing in my year an a half of reffing, and if you have a picture of what a paintball will do, it generally gets the message across.

And with reffing private parties, I'm generally more relaxed with the gameplay rules, they are there to have fun and shoot the shit out of each other, they don't really care if somebody gets shot in the hopper.

#11 TaFF

TaFF

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:23 PM

Love the story. Like the tips klub. U might apply for a job. For some reason I think I'll be a good ref

#12 Steephill

Steephill

Dota 2 > Life itself

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:44 PM

It's annoying enough to play with kids like that. I can't imagine reffing them.

My Feedback +14/-0

`kook 2/1/12 "The gold standard isn't what is most popular. By that logic, Justin Beiber is the gold standard of music."

#13 GeezusPB

GeezusPB

Stud Muffin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:06 PM

I feel Bad for you bro, it sucks to play with people like that. I dont think i could ever handle reffing them

#14 Tick

Tick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:17 PM

I've learned that screaming doesn't get the point across very well to people in the 13-22 age range. Generally, if a person is blind firing, I don't call them out if it is an all renter game or a private party. I'll walk up to them and ask them to come out with the gun. If they keep blind firing, I'll call them out.
Screaming as in raising my voice, not an all out "SPARTA" Chant

With teching guns, I'll generally do it for free if it is an easy fix. If I can't get it fixed and it takes over an hour, I'll still charge $5 for my time, if I fix it, it's $10 for every hour it took to fix it plus parts I had to replace.
Wish I could charge for fixing guns, I'd make a ton of extra dough in a day

If a kid keeps taking his mask off, I'll give him a warning the first time, 2nd time he sits out and the third time he is done for the day, no refund. If it is a private party, it goes the same way except I'll get the group together and give them 1 big warning before the 3rd time happens. After that it becomes a no warning policy and we just stop letting people play.
I've only had to make 1 person stop playing in my year an a half of reffing, and if you have a picture of what a paintball will do, it generally gets the message across.
Rules I have to abide by and that they sign off on that they agree and we explain, I don't make the rules, I just have to make sure people follow them.

And with reffing private parties, I'm generally more relaxed with the gameplay rules, they are there to have fun and shoot the shit out of each other, they don't really care if somebody gets shot in the hopper.
Gun hits at my field don't count, and I'm usually pretty relaxed with the kids, but I can't have them potentially getting shot in the eye every couple of games.

We also don't allow the blind firing because if myself, another ref, or a dead man is walking around, they could easily take a shot from a couple feet away.

Oh and to everyone else who thinks reffing sucks.

YOU'RE SO WRONG.

Imagine going to a paintball field ad getting PAID to watch paintball? Reffing really isn't that hard 90% of the time, it's just when people don't follow the rules is when it gets somewhat more mentally challenging.

Watching Paintball is the next best thing to playing it.

Edited by Tick, 09 October 2012 - 05:19 PM.

#15 newwestswag

newwestswag

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

I know how you feel I ref 9 year olds in hockey.

#16 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:17 PM

Man, I hate having to sit people out because of the mask rule. I just feel strange doing it. My field is not leinient at all with the mask rule. 1st offence=sit a game. 2nd offence=done for the day, no refund. Same rule applies for having the barrel cover or safety off in the staging area.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

#17 Distortion_UK

Distortion_UK

Darkest London

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:27 AM

Get used to it, the least thanked job ever. I reffed for 4 years before moving to France. I've never had a job where I've been thanked so little.
The time between games isn't really a break its time when you make sure shit is ready to run smoothly for the next game.

Get used to sending people home. You may not like it but you have to do it. I sent a group of 20 Italian school kids packing after the second game. Remember if shit goes wrong you will always some how get the blame. Regardless.

I

Posted Image

Complete Guide To Paintball Health- http://www.techpb.co...0

How to Play Snake- http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=104279

#18 Mexico

Mexico

Wut is hoonigan?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:51 PM

lol we pee on the field here. no problems, when you gotta go, ya gotta go

#19 A&MBaller

A&MBaller

meow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:43 PM

I feel bad for you, my field has great refs and I love hanging out and I might be getting a job at one of the fields sooner or later. That sucks having those kind of players to deal with even if it isn't very often. Like my Football coach says, Tomorrow everything will be alright even if today was a bad day for you.

#20 picaboo8

picaboo8

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:46 PM

decent rant

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users