• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Racer_86

Racer_86

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:51 PM

First of all, this is my first post on TechPB! I've been watching Mike's videos for a while now (Thanks btw, they've helped a ton!) and finally decided to jump on the website.

Anyway, a friend and I had the idea of starting a 3-man team for our highschool and playing NCPA. One of the regional events is in Boston, which is just over 2 hours from our school. My question is: who do I talk to to get the ball rolling? What kind of information should I present to them? How do I convince them that shooting each other with markers that closely resemble guns is as safe as we all know it is?

Any help is appreciated!

#2 TaFF

TaFF

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:22 PM

First of all, this is my first post on TechPB! I've been watching Mike's videos for a while now (Thanks btw, they've helped a ton!) and finally decided to jump on the website.

Anyway, a friend and I had the idea of starting a 3-man team for our highschool and playing NCPA. One of the regional events is in Boston, which is just over 2 hours from our school. My question is: who do I talk to to get the ball rolling? What kind of information should I present to them? How do I convince them that shooting each other with markers that closely resemble guns is as safe as we all know it is?

Any help is appreciated!

The gun thing isn't a problem just be very nice. Don't expect them to fund u tho

#3 SamBo

SamBo

• Players Club
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:43 PM

Edited by SamBo, 21 October 2012 - 11:44 PM.

#4 crich775

crich775

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:19 AM

Back when I was in highschool, all we had to do to start a club was have 3 people, and a teacher willing to at least sign off as a supervisor, ask around, I'm sure one of the nicer teachers will help you out, get them to sign off to help you, then go to the pricipal to see about making it official. Tell them you understand you won't be a funded sport and may not be allowed to use the HS mascot or team name and you should be set.
Rest In Peace Jacob Espindola 1-12-07
OEF Vet 2011-2012, Combat Infantryman Badge Recipient

#5 Racer_86

Racer_86

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:20 PM

Alright, thanks guys! So I'm guessing its a better idea just to form a team outside of school with the guys. Now I'm really glad I asked here before I pulled the trigger (no pun intended) and asked administration at my school about this. Thanks again!

#6 Jarz

Jarz

Workin' that post count back up...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,917 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:54 PM

Make sure your administration approves. I had support of counselors and students, but the administration declined.
Posted Image

#7 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:56 AM

My opinion of this has always been separation of school and paintball.

It's simply the time, effort and energy expended to try to merge the two, usually just ends up a waste. Trying to gain the administration's acceptance does nothing to promote paintball, nothing to help you and your team play paintball, and does nothing to help your studies.

Sure, put together an honest proposal and see what the response is, but I wouldn't waste weeks and weeks of work trying to get them to accept it. Here is the thing about "education and paintball", you are going to graduate eventually, and when you graduate all of your hard work usually will go up in smoke.

If you focus on paintball (getting better, growing a team, etc), and focus on your studies (doing your homework, making sure you don't miss assignments, being prepared for tests, etc) SEPARATELY both will usually do just fine. Trying to merge the two? meh

#8 LV Backpacker

LV Backpacker

Master Member

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,402 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:00 AM

My opinion of this has always been separation of school and paintball.

It's simply the time, effort and energy expended to try to merge the two, usually just ends up a waste. Trying to gain the administration's acceptance does nothing to promote paintball, nothing to help you and your team play paintball, and does nothing to help your studies.

Sure, put together an honest proposal and see what the response is, but I wouldn't waste weeks and weeks of work trying to get them to accept it. Here is the thing about "education and paintball", you are going to graduate eventually, and when you graduate all of your hard work usually will go up in smoke.

If you focus on paintball (getting better, growing a team, etc), and focus on your studies (doing your homework, making sure you don't miss assignments, being prepared for tests, etc) SEPARATELY both will usually do just fine. Trying to merge the two? meh

I completely agree with this. If you want to join a team in high school, look for a local young guns team that will account for the fact that you're a student. College may be worth it to make an official club or team, but the hoops you have to jump through are difficult unless you have 6-8 extremely committed individuals.

If you want to get sponsored, present yourself as a mature adult, not a four year old with a crayon.

Posted Image
Gearbag
Feedback

#9 Master_Chief

Master_Chief

All or Nothing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:38 PM

If you really want to get good, don't set your sights on an HS sanctioned team because there are practically no other HS teams to play against and if you play other actual teams with players that have been in the sport for years against your guys, good luck. Hop on a team and work hard and you could pull a jacob edwards and play pro at 16. I know playing on the official HS team will sound awesome, but playing pro will sound even better.

Why not?

-Derrick Rose

Square 1 Soldiers

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users