Photo

DM order of setting the settings (for a DM9)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mike838

mike838

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:34 PM

Alright, as of today,I am a first time owner of the DM platform (a DM9). I have done a lot of forumresearching/techpb vids to get a good handle on what to expect with my DM9. Iam more focused on how to properly tune then gun. All the forums i have read sayto begin with a different thing. I am trying to tune my gun for best consistency,so i know i need a medium/high dwell (19-21), LPR a bit lower than stock, andHPR set to the fps I need.

BUT which one do itweak first???? Do i change my stock dwell of 18 to 20, and then adjust theLPR, and the finally the HPR? Or do i begin with the HPR being at the fps idesire and then adjust the dwell and then the LPR? Or another combination? Any help and tips would be most appreciated. Thank you very much

#2 Old Dude PB

Old Dude PB

Safety third.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:03 PM

I shoot a PM8, but it's very similar to your DM9. Here's how I'd do it, starting from scratch.
  • Make sure the gun is clean and lightly lubed, and you have a fresh new battery.
  • With the air off and no paint, zero out the regs by turning them clockwise as far as they go. Just hand-tight. Don't crank them down hard. As you're doing that, count how many turns you're making on each, and make a note. Odds are, the previous owner left you with a working setup, and it's nice to know what that might be. No guarantees, of course.
  • Set the dwell. Stock is 18. Sounds like you want to try something higher, maybe 20.
  • Gas up the gun. (Still no paint.)
  • Open the HPR three turns.
  • Slowly open the LPR, watching the bolt. Stop when the bolt gets sucked backwards. Then open the LPR another quarter turn.
  • Dry fire the gun quickly. Make sure the bolt is cycling properly. If necessary, increase the LPR.
  • Add your hopper and fill it. Shoot the gun over a chrono. Adjust the HPR as necessary to get you near your target velocity.
  • You want to be shooting plus-or-minus 5 feet per second (or better), relative to your target velocity. If the velocity is varying a lot more than that, make small adjustments to the LPR, opening it up more. With each adjustment, shoot 8-10 times to see if the velocity is stabilizing.
  • Once the velocity is stable, you're done tuning the LPR. Tweak the HPR if you need to.
I know the generally accepted "pro" settings for a DM are slightly higher dwell and slightly lower LPR...but they're going for smooth. If you want best-possible consistency, I suspect you'll end up with both higher dwell and higher LPR (sacrificing smoothness and quietness).

Hope that helps.

Edited by Old Dude PB, 23 October 2012 - 11:04 PM.

#3 mike838

mike838

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:08 AM

Thank you very much!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users