23 replies to this topic

#1 Woodyballer29

Woodyballer29

Brass Eagle Fanboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:48 PM

So I'm going woodsballing on Nov. 3rd and I would like some more advanced woodsball tips. I've already played lots (about 3 yrs.) and I have watched all of Mike's tip videos on woodsball but I would like to know more (if there is any). I am a mid/front player that very rarely plays back. And I like to play smart aggressive.

.I never know what to put in these things.

#2 iNF

iNF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:22 PM

Whats your field setup like? Do you have bunkers, or just natural cover?
Are there areas where players often go near?
What sort of Camo do you wear if any?

#3 Woodyballer29

Woodyballer29

Brass Eagle Fanboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:04 PM

Whats your field setup like? A medium sized field, maybe 6 or 7 acres.
Do you have bunkers, or just natural cover? Both natural and man made bunkers. Logs stacked on each other and I believe some tires, I haven't gone since we set up the bunkers. I do know the layout of the field.
Are there areas where players often go near? Not really, although now there are better spots then others because of the bunkers, there is one particularly down the middle, with good shots on the middle and right and left sides.
What sort of Camo do you wear if any? Green and tan sweatshirt with green/brown/tan camo pants.

#4 paintballguy2255

paintballguy2255

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:09 PM

If it is a longer field,then take it on Tyger style:Be a ninja and flank your enemies.

If it is a shorter field,then take it head-on.

Also,what gun are you using?If it is electronic,then don't be afraid to sling some paint,but don't go overboard.

Lastly,Tyger also has alot of videos on woodsball tactics and tricks.

#5 Gyvanth

Gyvanth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:28 AM

How much brush is on the field? If there's a lot of brush and undergrowth, use cheaper/thicker paint. The thicker shell will allow it to remain intact when glancing brush; it still won't survive a dead-on hit though.

And keep moving, there's always a lot of cover out in the woods that people underestimate. You don't need to have your entire body hidden for something to be decent cover. It's better to be moving and using slightly sub-par cover than to remain stationary at a big piece of cover. If you aren't flanking, you're getting flanked.

#6 Woodyballer29

Woodyballer29

Brass Eagle Fanboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:33 AM

Thanks guys, I appreciate it, but not to be rude, I already knew that stuff lol :P . Don't get me wrong there is lots to know so it's always good to have a refresher because when I'm on the field, sometimes I just forget lol. It's not heavy heavy brush but just the trees branches pretty much. I use my 98 custom, but nobody else has electro's, I'm planning on getting a DM7 soon. I am not afraid to sling paint, in fact I had to make pods, luckily when I went to a field once, some girl gave me a pod that was just sitting on a picnic table. I will have to look up this Tyger guy because I haven't really heard about him.

#7 paintballguy2255

paintballguy2255

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:58 PM

Thanks guys, I appreciate it, but not to be rude, I already knew that stuff lol :P . Don't get me wrong there is lots to know so it's always good to have a refresher because when I'm on the field, sometimes I just forget lol. It's not heavy heavy brush but just the trees branches pretty much. I use my 98 custom, but nobody else has electro's, I'm planning on getting a DM7 soon. I am not afraid to sling paint, in fact I had to make pods, luckily when I went to a field once, some girl gave me a pod that was just sitting on a picnic table. I will have to look up this Tyger guy because I haven't really heard about him.

He's a pretty cool dude.He has been playing for,I believe,about 25 years or so.He does woodsball videos and tells stories about the older days of paintball.He has a youtube channel,"Webdogpaintball".Search that,and scroll through some of his vids.

#8 Woodyballer29

Woodyballer29

Brass Eagle Fanboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:39 PM

Thanks man! I will definitely do that!

#9 SirRod

SirRod

God Made Paintball for Me!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:13 PM

Being a tournament player doesn't transpose to woods and scenario. No matter how much advice you get you will forget it all when you get in country. Just follow your instincts. Find a veteran player and stick to him or a team. You will learn by practical application, book learning and preparation goes out the window in combat. It always degenerates in kayos. Scenarios are won by completing missions not getting kills. So just because there is an opponent in front of you its not always expedient to eliminate them. Learn to be stealthy and silent. Check your kit and see what makes noise when its shaken. Then eliminate it. Eliminate shiny things on your gun or flashing lights, cover them with black tape. Don't ware bright colors like your tournement uniform. Wear disruptive cammo Knowing how to read an map and have the ability to know which way is north. Having a compass is a good thing if you'v never played on that field.
Be a follower and learn how too. When your on a mission don't shoot your gun, don't make a lot of noise by stepping on branches and dry leaves don't talk or make unnecessary noise. Move when the time is right, like when the wind makes noise. Of if a train or airplane is going by. Hows your night vision? Don't shine a torch in you or your squad mates eyes. Flash blindness occurs and continues for up to 30 minutes.I like to ware scenario pertanant clothing. If your Viet Cong dress in black scrubs and carry very little on the field, but you gun and ammo and something to drink. Scenarios last for many hours so pace your self, even though you may be young you can stll get heat prostration. Hydrate before the game. Drink plenty of water but don't drown your tissues. Drinking too much water can make you sick. Carry a personal first aid kit. Consisting of Band aids of various sizes, antibiotic ointment. Eye wash such as clear eyes. Cala Gel for poison ivy. You can get it at most all pharmacy's. I use it when I contact any kind of plant that corrupts the integrity of the skin. Cala Gel gets rid of poison ivy with only one use. First scenario I remember mine back in the day at Wayne (Rabbit) Dolick's old Survival Zone in Silver Springs Fl. Called the longest night. Well that's about all I can think of right now best wishes. Most inportand thing to remember is have fun. That's the ultimate goal of the Scenario Producer...8D
Posted Image

John 15v13, Pslam 91

#10 Woodyballer29

Woodyballer29

Brass Eagle Fanboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:43 AM

Being a tournament player doesn't transpose to woods and scenario. No matter how much advice you get you will forget it all when you get in country. Just follow your instincts. Find a veteran player and stick to him or a team. You will learn by practical application, book learning and preparation goes out the window in combat. It always degenerates in kayos. Scenarios are won by completing missions not getting kills. So just because there is an opponent in front of you its not always expedient to eliminate them. Learn to be stealthy and silent. Check your kit and see what makes noise when its shaken. Then eliminate it. Eliminate shiny things on your gun or flashing lights, cover them with black tape. Don't ware bright colors like your tournement uniform. Wear disruptive cammo Knowing how to read an map and have the ability to know which way is north. Having a compass is a good thing if you'v never played on that field.
Be a follower and learn how too. When your on a mission don't shoot your gun, don't make a lot of noise by stepping on branches and dry leaves don't talk or make unnecessary noise. Move when the time is right, like when the wind makes noise. Of if a train or airplane is going by. Hows your night vision? Don't shine a torch in you or your squad mates eyes. Flash blindness occurs and continues for up to 30 minutes.I like to ware scenario pertanant clothing. If your Viet Cong dress in black scrubs and carry very little on the field, but you gun and ammo and something to drink. Scenarios last for many hours so pace your self, even though you may be young you can stll get heat prostration. Hydrate before the game. Drink plenty of water but don't drown your tissues. Drinking too much water can make you sick. Carry a personal first aid kit. Consisting of Band aids of various sizes, antibiotic ointment. Eye wash such as clear eyes. Cala Gel for poison ivy. You can get it at most all pharmacy's. I use it when I contact any kind of plant that corrupts the integrity of the skin. Cala Gel gets rid of poison ivy with only one use. First scenario I remember mine back in the day at Wayne (Rabbit) Dolick's old Survival Zone in Silver Springs Fl. Called the longest night. Well that's about all I can think of right now best wishes. Most inportand thing to remember is have fun. That's the ultimate goal of the Scenario Producer...8D

Thanks so much man!

Edited by Woodyballer29, 30 October 2012 - 09:24 PM.

#11 SirRod

SirRod

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:51 PM

Well it sounds a lot like you know way more that maybe God Himself. When you ask for advise and someone is kind enough to take the time to give it you thank them and move on weather its pertinent to you or not. Not pick there post apart, like you did extensively above. I've been playing paintball for 28 years I guess I don't know as much as you young punks...8D
Posted Image

John 15v13, Pslam 91

#12 LV Backpacker

LV Backpacker

Master Member

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,402 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:43 PM

Tournament play can definitely be transposed to the woods. Vicious, a pro PSP team is also one of the most dominant Pro UWL teams. Even when playing woodsball at my local field, my side does better when we push forward aggressively and communicate. Scenario and big game play is different, however, a lot of that is simply because of the numbers involved. Tactics really depend on who you're playing with and the field layout. Is field clearly defined into team 1's side and team 2's side? If so, speedball tactics can definitely help. If you cross the 50 off the break on a field with clearly defined sides, the surprise it causes can be more helpful then being sneaky. If the field is more amorphous, then stealth, laying ambushes, and smart moves are more important.

Edited by LV Backpacker, 30 October 2012 - 07:44 PM.

If you want to get sponsored, present yourself as a mature adult, not a four year old with a crayon.

Posted Image
Gearbag
Feedback

#13 Woodyballer29

Woodyballer29

Brass Eagle Fanboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:17 PM

Well it sounds a lot like you know way more that maybe God Himself. When you ask for advise and someone is kind enough to take the time to give it you thank them and move on weather its pertinent to you or not. Not pick there post apart, like you did extensively above. I've been playing paintball for 28 years I guess I don't know as much as you young punks...8D

I'm so sorry if I came across like that. I do really appreciate the help but maybe I did sound like I knew everything. I really do appreciate it, I do need refreshers on tips because there are lots of them. It's always appreciated :tup: I'm sorry again if I cam across that way.

I was just trying to, I guess, answer your tips with what I do when I got to the field. As a fellow woodsballer, I realize that most of you guys know a lot more about woodsball then I do so I'm sorry if I came across that I knew everything. Thank you Sir Rod!

Thanks LV!

Edited by Woodyballer29, 30 October 2012 - 09:22 PM.

#14 SirRod

SirRod

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:21 AM

Woodsballer29: My sincere apology for calling you a punk. You certainly are not . You changed my opinion of you 100% The only reason I post in these forums is to help. I don't know it all and am always learning. Thanks for your kind reply. Any time you need any help that I can provide I will be available to help you all that I can...8D

Now Mr LV Backpacker: For your information. I just returned from World Cup seeing my friend TechPB Mike there and his beautiful wife and precious twin girls, and Rocky Cagnone, my personal Dye gun tech. Rocky and I are suppose to get together this evening at his house and hash out the sylnoid problem with my D.A.M Dye Assault Matrix I bought at World Cup on Sunday. I was number 17 to purchase one.
I am a trained NPPL Referee. And Coropral Mikey my friend who arrested the punk who tried to steal a tee shirt from the Dye Compound. If you were on my FB friends list you could see a picture of Rocky and my self at World Cup. And Corporal Mikey putting the cuffs on the punk who stole from Dye Compound.

Like the cartoon Gi Joe says "Knowing it half the battle"...8D
Posted Image

John 15v13, Pslam 91

#15 LV Backpacker

LV Backpacker

Master Member

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,402 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:19 AM

Woodsballer29: My sincere apology for calling you a punk. You certainly are not . You changed my opinion of you 100% The only reason I post in these forums is to help. I don't know it all and am always learning. Thanks for your kind reply. Any time you need any help that I can provide I will be available to help you all that I can...8D

Now Mr LV Backpacker: For your information. I just returned from World Cup seeing my friend TechPB Mike there and his beautiful wife and precious twin girls, and Rocky Cagnone, my personal Dye gun tech. Rocky and I are suppose to get together this evening at his house and hash out the sylnoid problem with my D.A.M Dye Assault Matrix I bought at World Cup on Sunday. I was number 17 to purchase one.
I am a trained NPPL Referee. And Coropral Mikey my friend who arrested the punk who tried to steal a tee shirt from the Dye Compound. If you were on my FB friends list you could see a picture of Rocky and my self at World Cup. And Corporal Mikey putting the cuffs on the punk who stole from Dye Compound.

Like the cartoon Gi Joe says "Knowing it half the battle"...8D

I really don't see how any of that has anything to do with what I posted. I was giving my advice from my experience and my opinions. I gave tactics that work for me when I play recreational woodsball, however most of the woodsball fields I have played have clearly defined sides and a "50." The way the op described what he would be doing suggested that it was rec woodsball play and not a scenario, so I gave advice that works for me in rec woodsball play. When it comes to scenario, as I mentioned tactics are different because of the nature of the game. I'm sure you are more knowledgeable then me when it comes to actual scenarios and actually considered your advice good. I only disagreed with your opinion regarding the application of tournament style play, and even then I felt I was specific with how and when I apply it.

If you want to get sponsored, present yourself as a mature adult, not a four year old with a crayon.

Posted Image
Gearbag
Feedback

#16 Woodyballer29

Woodyballer29

Brass Eagle Fanboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:44 AM

Thanks! I probably did deserve being called a punk lol. No offense taken.

The way the op described what he would be doing suggested that it was rec woodsball play and not a scenario, so I gave advice that works for me in rec woodsball play. When it comes to scenario, as I mentioned tactics are different because of the nature of the game. I'm sure you are more knowledgeable then me when it comes to actual scenarios and actually considered your advice good.

Yes I do play rec ball, with non-clearly defined sides. Yes scenario tactics are much different and most of Sir Rod's tips were about scenario play, which is why I probably picked apart his post because it wasn't relevant to me. I realized later that many tips for scenario play can be used for woodsball play as well.

#17 LV Backpacker

LV Backpacker

Master Member

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,402 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:01 AM

Yes I do play rec ball, with non-clearly defined sides. Yes scenario tactics are much different and most of Sir Rod's tips were about scenario play, which is why I probably picked apart his post because it wasn't relevant to me. I realized later that many tips for scenario play can be used for woodsball play as well.

My strategies probably won't be as much help to you then. Pretty much all of the woodsball fields I've played have clearly defined sides. Think the final battle at LL with sides of 25 or less players and in actual woods. The most important things of course, are to have fun, which I have by trying to take as many people with me as I charge as far forward as I can off the break, and to stay safe. Sir Rod's most important tip is to stay hydrated. It kills me when you here about paintball players getting heat stroke and heat exhaustion because they aren't drinking enough water the day before they play and through out the day.

Posted Image
Gearbag
Feedback

#18 Woodyballer29

Woodyballer29

Brass Eagle Fanboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:35 AM

My strategies probably won't be as much help to you then. Pretty much all of the woodsball fields I've played have clearly defined sides. Think the final battle at LL with sides of 25 or less players and in actual woods. The most important things of course, are to have fun, which I have by trying to take as many people with me as I charge as far forward as I can off the break, and to stay safe. Sir Rod's most important tip is to stay hydrated. It kills me when you here about paintball players getting heat stroke and heat exhaustion because they aren't drinking enough water the day before they play and through out the day.

I have gone to a field twice, where there were clearly defined sides, but it's kind of an eyballing middle when we play outlaw ball, and we play outlaw almost all the time. Nonetheless all woodsball tips are helpful!

#19 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:15 PM

my biggest trick with woodsball is to take the tapes

pick one, left or right side

I rarely go up the middle in woodsball. Middle players in woodsball are dead meat, easy pickens

Push one tape, and if you break through, the middle opponent players and the opponent players on the OTHER tape are smoked. You can get behind everyone (or parallel) and take them out easily

#20 sonicx059

sonicx059

Killer of Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:25 PM

I would like to say first after mike. Also thanks for the great read, I can't wait to put some of these tips into action.

602420_508306232582957_760957084_n.jpg

#21 Woodyballer29

Woodyballer29

Brass Eagle Fanboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:28 PM

my biggest trick with woodsball is to take the tapes

pick one, left or right side

I rarely go up the middle in woodsball. Middle players in woodsball are dead meat, easy pickens

Push one tape, and if you break through, the middle opponent players and the opponent players on the OTHER tape are smoked. You can get behind everyone (or parallel) and take them out easily

Thanks!

I would like to say first after mike. Also thanks for the great read, I can't wait to put some of these tips into action.

Lol, yeah I did that yesterday. SirRod has lots of great tips.

#22 elraido

elraido

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:22 PM

Normally 3 man groups work best if you have enough people. Point man has to work quick. If he is engaged, the middle man needs to engage ASAP while normally the back man works his way into a flanking position, all the while taking into account possible other bad guys in the area. If your mid and front man are engaged in fire fight, the rear man needs to move as you can. Odds are they won't hear the rear man moving. One thing I have a tendency to do, especially when I am running with a couple of my friends who really know how I work....I become the super aggressor. They lay down general cover fire, to let me get out of where I am. I will run up and try to eliminate anyone I know is there...and reveal any one who is still hidden. Normally I do get shot out doing this, but my team will know who is where and act accordingly.

#23 Woodyballer29

Woodyballer29

Brass Eagle Fanboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

Thanks everybody for the great tips! Hopefully I can use them on Saturday!

#24 FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:00 AM

It depends on what you are looking for... If I want to dominate the other team, I will play as a team with my buds, as we all know each other really well. AND we know how to play as a team. I'm a front player typically, so I run out there, and get into the thick of things, and if I have team mates as back up, I get the other players to fire at me, and I do my best to keep them doing that. (by getting into a position where I can shoot at them but they can't get a good shot at me, by using trees and such.

Then my guys will come up and get the angles on the players that are focused on me. Using trees and bunkers/natural barries is key, keep them between YOU and the other guy. You can shoot through a bush or honeysuckle, but their paint will likely break if they shoot at you. And watch good woodsball videos, as they really help you learn from others mistakes...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users