• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 moose19

moose19

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:08 PM

I've looked through a couple pages of posts but not sure is this has been covered but i have seen theres been alot of stuff about .68 paintballs, but has anyone thought about if it would be more beneficial to increase the shell thickness of a .43 paintball and shooting it at a higher velocity since it should impact with the same force of a .68 paintball not causing harm. With the higher velocity it can travel farther, have smaller area to be affected by wind, with a thicker shell it couple actually grip real rifling like in a real gun barrel. Also why stay with a round paintball why not switch to a domed cylinder or actual riffle bullet shape that was proven a long time ago after civil war cannons haha. Just makes more sense or is there some US gun law that requires it to be a sphere to not be considered a firearm.

Just some food for thought and some things im rolling around in my head.

#2 TaFF

TaFF

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:13 PM

First!

#3 bigx

bigx

Good? Bad? Im the guy with the gun.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,859 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:14 PM

No, how are you supposed to get breaks with such a think shell?

Also there are shaped paintballs they are called first strike rounds.

Lastly LAW enforcement uses rubber bullets filled with paint for training.

Edited by bigx, 25 October 2012 - 06:15 PM.

"I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood. You tell the angels in heaven you never seen evil so singularly personified as you did in the face of the man who killed you."

http://www.techpb.co...1 :Feedback 17/0/

#4 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:22 PM

If the paintball shell grips rifling, it will rip.

#5 moose19

moose19

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:45 PM

Breaking should depend on the breaking force. Force = mass * velocity it would take a certain amount of force to break a thicker shell but by increasing the velocity with a decreased mass all you would have to do is balance the force equation with the breaking force of the thicker shell and make sure that its still within a safe parameter. As for the rifling the thicker shell should be able to withstand a slight gripping of rifling since when i said rifling i didnt mean sharp edges in the barrel just raised rifling that could be rounded over to prevent tearing. The first strike is a different type of paintball but from what ive seen its just a sphere paintball with a skirt haha. Basically a morphed version of a badminton birdie. I meant more like an actual rifle round something that would cut through the air. For those of you who cant picture what i mean or know what a rifle round is think rocket with a slightly tapered base.

again im just spitballing

#6 bigx

bigx

Good? Bad? Im the guy with the gun.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,859 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:36 PM

Breaking should depend on the breaking force. Force = mass * velocity it would take a certain amount of force to break a thicker shell but by increasing the velocity with a decreased mass all you would have to do is balance the force equation with the breaking force of the thicker shell and make sure that its still within a safe parameter. As for the rifling the thicker shell should be able to withstand a slight gripping of rifling since when i said rifling i didnt mean sharp edges in the barrel just raised rifling that could be rounded over to prevent tearing. The first strike is a different type of paintball but from what ive seen its just a sphere paintball with a skirt haha. Basically a morphed version of a badminton birdie. I meant more like an actual rifle round something that would cut through the air. For those of you who cant picture what i mean or know what a rifle round is think rocket with a slightly tapered base.

How could you quickly and efficiently load rifle round shaped paintballs in mass?

"I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood. You tell the angels in heaven you never seen evil so singularly personified as you did in the face of the man who killed you."

http://www.techpb.co...1 :Feedback 17/0/

#7 Blade of grass

Blade of grass

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:51 PM

How could you quickly and efficiently load rifle round shaped paintballs in mass?

You would have to use clips.

all my legos are stored at my parents hose... so that wont be happening....

48fhih.png

#8 tyronejk

tyronejk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:28 PM

Breaking should depend on the breaking force. Force...

Do you mean magazines?

#9 madsnipes

madsnipes

CARNAGE 3!!!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,055 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:10 PM

isnt that basically just a first strike round

#10 NJC

NJC

pumper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:03 PM

he is basically talking about a very thick shelled FS round.

I split my vote, half for etekgirl's body, half for her mind, because I respect a woman's mind just as much as her cans.
*Waits to get hit*

#11 WasabiBoi

WasabiBoi

★ ❈~Lucky Star~❈★

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,587 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:05 AM

he is basically talking about a very thick shelled FS round.

A super thick .43 shelled First strike round that uses more air and higher velocity to shoot.

A a super duper hard fast round.

Sounds like a real bullet to me. Can't think how this would be more beneficial and cost more. Posted Image Just my thoughts though.

#12 Dakent

Dakent

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:05 PM

The problem is when you're playing on a field capping at 280, 300 FPS, A round thicker simply would hit and not break. Like wasabi said, i would assume it will be more expensive than the already ridiculously priced FS rounds..
I personally don't believe this would be possible to achieve. But hey, hopefully i'm wrong :)

Posted Image
Luxe 2.0 Dye 68/45 Rotor i4 Feedback 4/0/0

Gearbag Sale

#13 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:24 AM

So you're talking about a really painful first strike round? How would that be any better...in any way at all?

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#14 Blade of grass

Blade of grass

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:27 PM

Breaking should depend on the breaking force. Force...

Do you mean magazines?

Is their a difference?

48fhih.png

#15 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks :(

• Chat Coordinator
  • 22,001 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:30 PM

Posted Image

RebelSignaturejedicode-1.jpg
Hybrid SFT 09 Impulse HB REV-i Macroless Mech Ion
Rotor Grillz PE 70/45 Feedback - 23/0/0

Closer & Angel A1 F/S/T

#16 Blade of grass

Blade of grass

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:30 PM

Posted Image

Hmm, weird.

So the clip goes into the magazine?

48fhih.png

#17 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks :(

• Chat Coordinator
  • 22,001 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:31 PM

But that's enough off topic.

RebelSignaturejedicode-1.jpg
Hybrid SFT 09 Impulse HB REV-i Macroless Mech Ion
Rotor Grillz PE 70/45 Feedback - 23/0/0

Closer & Angel A1 F/S/T

#18 jakesd1995

jakesd1995

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:00 AM

Clips were used on old rifles from the early 1900s and late 1800s till the 70s about. Magazines are traditionally used on assault rifles or sub machine guns. NOW on topic! I see why you thought it was a good idea but practical? No sorry. The field would have to raise the fps and magazines on paintball guns are pointless to me. I see the distance piece though. You were spot on there.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users